|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Paragraph 28-End of Essay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emerson says boys try and sentence people and facts based on what?
(a) Their own mind.
(b) Their merits.
(c) Their characters.
(d) Their intuition.
2. What is a hieroglyphic as referred to in talking about virtue paid to kings, nobles and great proprietors?
(a) A monument.
(b) An Egyptian pictogram.
(c) A puzzle.
(d) A symbol.
3. What does Emerson suggest is required to withstand the "rage of the cultivated classes" and the "indignation of the people"?
(a) Decorous and prudent rage.
(b) The habit of magnanimity.
(c) An unintelligent brute.
(d) A sad countenance.
4. Why does Emerson say about children's minds?
(a) Their minds are uninfluenced.
(b) Their minds are whole.
(c) Their minds are undeveloped.
(d) Their minds are untrustworthy.
5. "The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost" what?
(a) His will to travel.
(b) The use of his horses.
(c) The use of his feet.
(d) A road to go by.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "plays us false" in history?
2. At which point is a person willing to "let the words go"?
3. What does Emerson say no man can violate?
4. What does Emerson call "primary wisdom"?
5. What does Emerson say a man should learn to detect and watch?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)