|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Paragraph 28-End of Essay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that man no longer dares to say, according to Emerson?
(a) "I can" and "I believe."
(b) "I want" and "I will."
(c) "I think" and "I am."
(d) "I won't" and "I disagree."
2. What do Alfred, Scanderbeg and Gustavus have in common?
(a) They all protect their kingdoms against powerful enemies.
(b) They all are dukes.
(c) They all are kings.
(d) They all lead their people to great riches.
3. What does God communicate when he speaks, according to Emerson?
(a) All things.
(b) His will.
(c) Pure light.
(d) The truth.
4. What does Emerson say Joseph does with his coat?
(a) Leaves it "under the cloak of night."
(b) Leaves it "in the hand of the harlot."
(c) Leaves it behind "like an empty husk."
(d) Leaves it "among the darkest enemy."
5. What does Emerson claim men believe about how they communicate their character?
(a) They believe that communicating virtuous actions makes up for their vice.
(b) They believe they communicate their virtue or vice only by overt actions.
(c) They believe they can communicate their virtue without their vice.
(d) They believe their virtue and vice emit a breath every moment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson claim is the only thing that is sacred?
2. What does Emerson say are "another sort of false prayer"?
3. What does Emerson say one should ask the "invaders" to do since "God is here within"?
4. What does Emerson say he has difficulty detecting when people "maintain a dead church"?
5. What does Emerson say tendency does to variety of actions?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)