|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Paragraphs 1-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emerson say is a conspiracy against manhood?
(a) The world.
(b) Joint-stock companies.
2. What does Emerson say is the lesson great works of art teach us?
(a) Obey your spontaneous impression.
(b) Art is a matter of personal taste.
(c) Truly great works of art inspire everyone.
(d) There are few true geniuses in the world.
3. Which of the following figures does Emerson not mention as being an example of speaking one's mind?
4. What does Emerson suggest one should accept in regards to divine providence?
(a) The feelings divine providence has instilled in them.
(b) The place divine providence has found for them.
(c) The work divine providence has allotted them.
(d) The ideas divine providence has instilled in them.
5. What does Emerson claim is the only thing that is sacred?
(a) The goodness of the world.
(b) The integrity of one's own mind.
(c) Names and customs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson wish adults could return to?
2. How does Emerson say a man feels when he has said or done something not according to his own will?
3. What does Emerson say members are trying to secure in his comparison to joint-stock companies?
4. What does Emerson say he does not need in talking about virtuous action?
5. What does Emerson suggest about philanthropy?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)