|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Paragraphs 1-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Emerson referring to when he writes: "...seated at their heart, working through their hands..." in his description of those living according to his recommendations?
(a) The best of intentions.
(c) The absolute trustworthy.
(d) That which is right.
2. What does Emerson say is most important about verses like the ones he mentions at the beginning of the first paragraph?
(a) The writer's true feelings.
(b) The thoughts they contain.
(c) The sentiment they instill.
(d) The writer's character.
3. Who wrote the verses that Emerson mentions at the beginning of the first paragraph?
(a) An unknown painter.
(b) A well-known author.
(c) An well-known painter.
(d) An unknown sculptor.
4. What does Emerson claim is the only thing that is sacred?
(a) The goodness of the world.
(b) Names and customs.
(d) The integrity of one's own mind.
5. What does Emerson say he does not need in talking about virtuous action?
(a) The assurance of philanthropists.
(b) Courage and charity.
(c) Consent to do good.
(d) The assurance of his fellows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson insist men carry themselves in the presence of?
2. How does Emerson say a man feels when he has done his best?
3. How does Emerson say a man feels when he has said or done something not according to his own will?
4. What does Emerson say is the lesson great works of art teach us?
5. What does Emerson suggest one should accept in regards to divine providence?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)