|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Paragraphs 1-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which "iron string" does Emerson say every heart vibrates?
(a) Represent thyself.
(b) Live thy will.
(c) Never give up.
(d) Trust thyself.
2. On what does Emerson say we will be advancing if we live as "guides, redeemers and benefactors"?
(a) Chaos and the Dark.
(b) Evil and the Dark.
(c) Chaos and the Devil.
(d) Evil and Chaos.
3. What does Emerson say causes a man to come to the conviction that "...envy is ignorance"?
4. How does Emerson say a man can recognize what he is capable of?
(a) His inner power becomes clear.
(b) His inner voice tells him.
(c) He cannot know until he's tried.
(d) Nature tells him.
5. What does Emerson say he will do if he is the Devil's child?
(a) He will try to find God.
(b) He will live wholly.
(c) He will live from the Devil.
(d) He will find the doctrines of the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are boys sure of in Emerson's example of how boys speak their mind?
2. What "...may be safely trusted as proportionate and of good issues, so it be faithfully imparted..."?
3. Who or what does Emerson say he is living his life for?
4. What does Emerson wish adults could return to?
5. What does Emerson say will happen if one does not put his heart into his work?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)