|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Paragraph 28-End of Essay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Emerson describing when he states: "In your metaphysics you have denied personality to the Deity: yet when the devout motions of the soul come ... they should clothe God with shape and color"?
(a) Your own ideas of God are unimportant.
(b) You must be wary of religious emotion.
(c) We can never truly know what God is like.
(d) It is acceptable to change one's mind.
2. No one but whom can teach us "that which (we) can do best"?
(b) Our Divine Spirit.
(c) Our Inner Voice.
(d) Our maker.
3. What does Emerson claim men believe about how they communicate their character?
(a) They believe they can communicate their virtue without their vice.
(b) They believe they communicate their virtue or vice only by overt actions.
(c) They believe that communicating virtuous actions makes up for their vice.
(d) They believe their virtue and vice emit a breath every moment.
4. Which artist does Emerson say "will create a house in which all these will find themselves fitted"?
(c) The American artist.
(d) The self-reliant artist.
5. Why does Emerson say we distrust our sentiment?
(a) We understand the opposition.
(b) We are unsure of ourselves.
(c) We understand the work required.
(d) We are unsure of what others will think.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emerson claim we give men the power to annoy us?
2. What does Emerson say causes a man to come to the conviction that "...envy is ignorance"?
3. What does Emerson say he can anticipate if he knows your sect?
4. What is the attribute of the Supreme Cause according to Emerson?
5. When does Emerson claim that the luster "will be transferred from the actions of kings to those of gentlemen"?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)