|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Paragraph 28-End of Essay.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emerson say one should ask the "invaders" to do since "God is here within"?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Finally be calm.
(c) Take off their shoes.
(d) Stay away.
2. What does Emerson say is a conspiracy against manhood?
(a) Joint-stock companies.
(d) The world.
3. Which words does Emerson want to have "gazetted and ridiculous henceforward"?
(a) Mediocrity and contentment.
(b) Conformity and consistency.
(c) Society and philanthropy.
(d) Memory and reality.
4. In the final sentence of "Self-Reliance," Emerson writes: "Nothing can bring you peace but" what?
(a) "The triumph of principles."
(b) "Your own will."
(d) "The triumph of your character."
5. Why does Emerson say a character is "like an acrostic"?
(a) No matter how you read it, it always spells the same thing.
(b) Human character is puzzling.
(c) Trying to understand one's character can be fun.
(d) Human character is ever-changing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Alfred, Scanderbeg and Gustavus have in common?
2. Which of the following examples does Emerson NOT name in conjunction with the attribute of the Supreme Cause?
3. What does Emerson say conformity does in his objection to it?
4. What does "Ne te quaesiveris extra" mean?
5. What has the world been taught by "this colossal symbol," the world's instructors?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)