|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what class has Manju made critical errors, leading to his belief he will be thrown out of college during his first year?
2. The old palmist offers to solve five of Radha's problems for how many rupees after the game on Selection Day?
3. What does Mehta force Manju to drink after his brother has fled on Selection Day?
4. Where does Tommy Sir's daughter work?
5. Who is Javed's friend that he introduces Manju to a week after Selection Day at his flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sacred glove that Radha wears on Selection Day? What becomes of it?
2. What do Mohan and Manju learn when they visit Anand Mehta's office after the game on Selection Day?
3. How does Radha convince Manju not to go to the police regarding Anand Mehta?
4. How do Radha and Manju perform on Selection Day?
5. Who is Lata? What role does she play in the novel?
6. What has led to the fall in Radha's batting average when Manju is leaving for England?
7. What advice does Javed give to Manju regarding his scholarship to England?
8. What does Manju dream about after Anand Mehta's middle-of-the-night visit?
9. What do Javed and Manju do when they go to the mall bathroom in Part One?
10. How does Manju respond when Javed suggests he might be gay in Part One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Manju's career as detailed in Part Two of the novel. For how many years did Manju play professional cricket? How successful was he? What led to his being fired? How does his future look in cricket?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of homosexuality in Selection Day. How is homosexuality perceived by the main characters in the story? What role does it play in the plot of the narrative? What symbolism supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of sibling rivalry in Selection Day. How does the author develop this theme through character and setting? How is the theme developed through symbolism? What imagery supports this theme?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)