|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Manju and Javed meet at a restaurant at what hotel to discuss their first experiences at college?
2. What is the cause of the drop in Radha's batting average before Manju goes to England?
3. Who is Javed's friend that he introduces Manju to a week after Selection Day at his flat?
4. What is the sacred serpent called that the god Subramanya rides?
5. What town in the Satara district does Tommy Sir hike around each year by himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Deennawaz Shah and what happens to him in the novel?
2. What does Sofia confront Manju about when she picks him up in her car from college in Part One?
3. What has led to the fall in Radha's batting average when Manju is leaving for England?
4. What does Manju dream about after Anand Mehta's middle-of-the-night visit?
5. What do Javed and Manju do when they go to the mall bathroom in Part One?
6. How does Manju respond when Javed suggests he might be gay in Part One?
7. How is Javed's flat described in the narrative?
8. What analogy does Mohan make in describing the elephant and the magician?
9. Where does Radha go after the game on Selection Day? Why?
10. What do Mohan and Manju learn when they visit Anand Mehta's office after the game on Selection Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author establish the back-stories for the main characters in Selection Day? What literary devices are used? Are these devices effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Where does the Kumar family move from Dahisar? How is this setting described? How are the old home and new home compared and contrasted in the narrative? How do they afford the move?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Manju's visit to the mall with Javed when Javed teaches him to shave. Why is this action significant in the narrative? What symbolism surrounds this section of the novel? How does Manju change as a result of this action?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)