|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long is Manju's scholarship to last in England?
2. Where does Tommy Sir's daughter work?
3. What town in the Satara district does Tommy Sir hike around each year by himself?
4. Where does Anand Mehta say he is dealing with the mafia after the game on Selection Day?
5. Manju and Javed meet at a restaurant at what hotel to discuss their first experiences at college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What analogy does Mohan make in describing the elephant and the magician?
2. What advice does Javed give to Manju regarding his scholarship to England?
3. Who is Lata? What role does she play in the novel?
4. Why does Anand Mehta come to the Kumar home after Manju has returned from England? What does he do there?
5. Who is Ranjith and how is his character described?
6. Where does Radha go after the game on Selection Day? Why?
7. What ultimatum does Javed offer Manju when Manju calls him after the game on Selection Day?
8. What do Mohan and Manju learn when they visit Anand Mehta's office after the game on Selection Day?
9. How do Radha and Manju perform on Selection Day?
10. How does Manju respond when Javed suggests he might be gay in Part One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author establish the back-stories for the main characters in Selection Day? What literary devices are used? Are these devices effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Manju Kumar as the protagonist of Selection Day. How old is Manju when the novel begins? How old is he when it ends? What changes does Manju undergo in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Where does the Kumar family move from Dahisar? How is this setting described? How are the old home and new home compared and contrasted in the narrative? How do they afford the move?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)