|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manju's favorite television show?
2. What is the mother tongue for Manju and Radha?
3. By what term does Tommy Sir describe Mohan as being when he talks to Srinivas at the cricket game in Part One?
4. Tommy Sir tells Pramod in Part One of Manju, "Pramod, the idea that the boy has to be either real or a fake is" what?
5. Where has Manju been injured when he bats the winning game in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scholarship does Manju received from Karim Ali in Part One? How does he respond?
2. Who is Anand Mehta, and what is his role in the novel?
3. Where does the Kumar family move when they leave Dahisar? Why?
4. What tone and mood are established in the opening of the novel?
5. What happens when Manju is sent to the principals office after vandalizing Javed's sports equipment?
6. What causes the growing rift between Radha and Manju in the second section of Part One?
7. What rules has Mohan Kumar established for his sons?
8. What is the significance of the show "Young Lions" in the novel?
9. What is noted about Manju's thumb when he plays the game before the Mumbai cricket recruiter in Part One? Why is this significant?
10. Who is Subramanya and what is his significance in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Mohan Kumar in the novel. How would you describe Mohan's relationships with his sons? What is Mohan's main motivator in the novel? Is Mohan a protagonist or antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Javed Ansari in the novel. Where does Javed live? What is his family like? How would you describe Javed's relationship with Manju?
Essay Topic 3
Where does the Kumar family move from Dahisar? How is this setting described? How are the old home and new home compared and contrasted in the narrative? How do they afford the move?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)