|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what temple does Mohan deliver money after he has received the first installment of the scholarship fund in Part One?
2. The narrator in Part One says, "Revenge is the capitalism of" what?
3. How old does Tommy Sir say he was when he began working on a history of the Maratha campaign at the third battle of Panipat in Part One?
4. When Manju, Radha, and their father reach the MIG Cricket Club in Part One, they are told that Tommy Sir does not arrive before what time?
5. What is the only thing in this world that is tasteless, according to the narrator in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator describe Mohan beating Manju in the Prologue?
2. What is noted about Manju's thumb when he plays the game before the Mumbai cricket recruiter in Part One? Why is this significant?
3. How is Sofia's character described in the novel?
4. What happens when Manju is sent to the principals office after vandalizing Javed's sports equipment?
5. Who is Subramanya and what is his significance in the novel?
6. What is the significance of the show "Young Lions" in the novel?
7. What rules has Mohan Kumar established for his sons?
8. What narrative style does the author employ in Selection Day?
9. What is the significance of the show "CSI Las Vegas" in the novel?
10. Who is Javed Ansari? How is his character introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Manju Kumar as the protagonist of Selection Day. How old is Manju when the novel begins? How old is he when it ends? What changes does Manju undergo in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Hinduism in Selection Day. Which characters adhere to Hindu beliefs? How faithful are these characters and what deities do they worship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of cricket in Selection Day. What does the game of cricket represent symbolically for each of the main characters? How is cricket used metaphorically in the story?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)