|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Radha than Manju Kumar?
2. The narrator in Part One says, "Revenge is the capitalism of" what?
3. Where does the "spotty-necked" girl's father own a chemical plant?
4. Who is Mohar's neighbor that he encounters after leaving his sons at the MIG Cricket Club?
5. What is the "lord's golden spear" referred to as at the Subramanya temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scholarship does Manju received from Karim Ali in Part One? How does he respond?
2. What rules has Mohan Kumar established for his sons?
3. How is Sofia's character described in the novel?
4. What is noted about Manju's thumb when he plays the game before the Mumbai cricket recruiter in Part One? Why is this significant?
5. What ambitions does Manju relate to Javed when they first become friends?
6. What happens when Manju is sent to the principals office after vandalizing Javed's sports equipment?
7. Who is Javed Ansari? How is his character introduced?
8. How is "Kattale" defined in the Prologue of Selection Day?
9. Where does the Kumar family move when they leave Dahisar? Why?
10. How does Radha respond to Manju's scholarship from Karim Ali? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative and language styles seen in the Prologue of Selection Day. How does the narrative style in this section of the novel differ from the main body? What mood and tone are established in the Prologue? How does the author develop this mood and tone?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Javed Ansari in the novel. Where does Javed live? What is his family like? How would you describe Javed's relationship with Manju?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the flat where Javed lives and where Manju comes to stay with him for a period of time. How are the furnishings of the flat described? Where is it located? What symbolism can be seen in this setting?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)