|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what nickname is Manju and Radha's father called?
2. To what neighborhood do Mohan and his sons move after they have saved enough money to leave the slum?
3. What animal does the narrator describe a magician bringing to Mohan's village thirty years ago in Part One?
4. What playwright does Tommy Sir quote in Part One in saying, "... they haven't spoken English in America in decades"?
5. In an article that Tommy Sir published three years ago in the Mumbai Sun, he wrote that "cricket is the triumph of civilization over" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the growing rift between Radha and Manju in the second section of Part One?
2. What scholarship does Manju received from Karim Ali in Part One? How does he respond?
3. How is Mohan Kumar described in the narrative?
4. How would you describe the relationship between Manju and Radha in the beginning of the novel?
5. Who is Javed Ansari? How is his character introduced?
6. How is "Kattale" defined in the Prologue of Selection Day?
7. Why does the narrator describe Mohan beating Manju in the Prologue?
8. What narrative style does the author employ in Selection Day?
9. What is implied regarding Mohan's broken leg in Part One?
10. What happens when Manju is sent to the principals office after vandalizing Javed's sports equipment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the allusions to Hinduism in Selection Day. Which characters adhere to Hindu beliefs? How faithful are these characters and what deities do they worship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sibling rivalry in Selection Day. How does the author develop this theme through character and setting? How is the theme developed through symbolism? What imagery supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Radha Kumar in the novel. How much older is Radha than Manju? How would you characterize the relationship between these brothers? How does Radha change in the course of the story?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)