|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the 15-year-old student of the Ali Weinberg School in Bandra that Mohan and his sons watch on television at their new home in Part One?
(a) B.B. Balasubramaniam.
(b) Javed Ansari.
(c) Dhobi Talao.
(d) Bal Thackeray.
2. How old is Pramod Sawant described during his meeting with Tommy Sir in the beginning of Part One?
(a) His early 30s.
(b) His late 20s.
(c) His late 40s.
(d) His early 40s.
3. What animal does the narrator describe a magician bringing to Mohan's village thirty years ago in Part One?
(a) A turtle.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A dove.
(d) A giraffe.
4. Who is Mohar's neighbor that he encounters after leaving his sons at the MIG Cricket Club?
(a) Bal Thackeray.
(b) Anand Mehta.
(c) Pramod Sawant.
5. What Biblical verse is cited in the opening of the novel with the line: "My heritage is ... like a lion in the forest; it criest out against me"?
(a) Jeremiah 12:8.
(b) John 15:13.
(c) Psalm 27:4.
(d) Proverbs 17:17.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator in Part One says, "Revenge is the capitalism of" what?
2. In Mohan's "Cricket Rules," what is one to do with one's head?
3. According to Mohan's rules for his sons, what "will destroy anything, even a secret contract with God"?
4. What playwright does Tommy Sir quote in Part One in saying, "... they haven't spoken English in America in decades"?
5. At what temple does Mohan deliver money after he has received the first installment of the scholarship fund in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Anand Mehta, and what is his role in the novel?
2. What happened to Manju and Radha's mother?
3. How is "Kattale" defined in the Prologue of Selection Day?
4. How does Radha respond to Manju's scholarship from Karim Ali? Why?
5. Who is Pramod Sawant, and why is he speaking with Tommy Sir in the opening of Part One?
6. What is noted about Manju's thumb when he plays the game before the Mumbai cricket recruiter in Part One? Why is this significant?
7. What causes the growing rift between Radha and Manju in the second section of Part One?
8. What happens when Manju is sent to the principals office after vandalizing Javed's sports equipment?
9. What rules has Mohan Kumar established for his sons?
10. How is Sofia's character described in the novel?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)