|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what school does Manju train in cricket while in England?
(a) The Eknath Solkar International School.
(b) The J.F. Browns International School.
(c) The Dhobi Talao International School.
(d) The Ali Weinberg International School.
2. What novel by George Orwell does Javed encourage Manju to read?
(a) Coming Up for Air.
(b) Animal Farm.
(d) The Clergyman's Daughter.
3. Of Sofia, the narrator says, "... she could pull anything off: she knew her prerogative as a rich girl in Mumbai, which was to be" what?
(a) "A ghost on the walls, silent and obedient."
(b) "One step ahead of the city she lived in."
(c) "Like her mother."
(d) "The fulfiller of her father's wishes."
4. Tommy Sir describes "the final discovery of my career as a Talent Scout" on the day after Selection Day. He states that "a great sportsman is a kind of" what?
5. What does Mehta force Manju to drink after his brother has fled on Selection Day?
6. Manju and Javed meet at a restaurant at what hotel to discuss their first experiences at college?
(a) Sofitel Mumbai BKC.
(b) The Taj Mahal Palace.
(c) The Golden Punjab Hotel.
(d) Four Season Hotel Mumbai.
7. What video game does Radha discover when he first visits the cybercafe?
(a) War of Warcraft.
(c) Grand Theft Auto.
(d) Super Mario Brothers.
8. For how long is Manju's scholarship to last in England?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 2 weeks.
9. To what bar does Mohan go in the morning to lament the disappearance of his sons after Selection Day?
(a) The Taj Mahal Bar.
(b) The White Horse Bar.
(c) The Deepa Bar.
(d) The Mafia Bar.
10. Whom does Manju thank for "this exquisite opportunity to experience first-hand the uplifting culture of the United Kingdom" in a statement after he returns from England?
(a) Eknath Solkar.
(b) Patricia D'Mello.
(c) Karim Ali.
(d) Pramod Sawant.
11. What is the sacred serpent called that the god Subramanya rides?
12. How much money does the uncle of the cricket player that was attacked by Radha want in compensation from Mehta?
(a) 75,000 rupees.
(b) 50,000 rupees.
(c) 100,000 rupees.
(d) 25,000 rupees.
13. Where does Javed tell Manju to take a train and meet him after he calls to tell Javed about Mehta's middle-of-the-night visit?
(a) Navi Mumbai.
(b) The Oval Maidan.
14. What does Anand Mehta demand that Manju do when he visits him in the middle of the night after Manju has had a press conference?
(a) Perform in a cricket game.
(b) Sing for him.
(c) Speak in a British accent.
(d) Call his mother.
15. What musician, described as "a poet, and a Parsi, and a gay" does Javed imitate in the novel?
(a) Ravi Shastri.
(b) Freddie Mercury.
(c) George Harrison.
(d) Cat Stevens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Javed's brother who was five years older than him?
2. What does Sofia say Radha has been saying about his brother on the day before Selection Day?
3. Who is the driver when Sofia picks up Manju on the day before Selection Day?
4. Whose glove does Radha rip up on Selection Day?
5. What is Manju's height listed as of three months before Selection Day?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)