|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tommy Sir describes "the final discovery of my career as a Talent Scout" on the day after Selection Day. He states that "a great sportsman is a kind of" what?
2. In an interview with Manju after he has returned from England he is asked, "What is the food like?" What is Manju's response?
(a) "I liked the haggis."
(b) "The food is delicious."
(c) "The cheese is smelly."
(d) "The food is strange."
3. Of Sofia, the narrator says, "... she could pull anything off: she knew her prerogative as a rich girl in Mumbai, which was to be" what?
(a) "One step ahead of the city she lived in."
(b) "Like her mother."
(c) "The fulfiller of her father's wishes."
(d) "A ghost on the walls, silent and obedient."
4. What does the career counselor tell Manju his family has traditionally done for a living?
(a) Traded gold.
(b) Cut diamonds.
(c) Sold curry.
5. Javed tells Manju in the narrative, "When you go to war, first you must have" what?
(a) "A map."
(b) "An enemy."
(c) "A position."
(d) "A mission."
6. In what year did T.O. Shenoy first play in Selection Day in Bombay?
7. Whom does Manju thank for "this exquisite opportunity to experience first-hand the uplifting culture of the United Kingdom" in a statement after he returns from England?
(a) Eknath Solkar.
(b) Karim Ali.
(c) Patricia D'Mello.
(d) Pramod Sawant.
8. What is the cause of the drop in Radha's batting average before Manju goes to England?
(a) He has experienced a shoulder injury.
(b) He has injured his ankle.
(c) He has lost interest in the sport.
(d) He is experiencing a growth spurt.
9. How much money does the uncle of the cricket player that was attacked by Radha want in compensation from Mehta?
(a) 100,000 rupees.
(b) 75,000 rupees.
(c) 50,000 rupees.
(d) 25,000 rupees.
10. Who is described as the "world's greatest batsman" from Bowral, New South Wales?
(a) Ravi Shastri.
(b) Eknath Solkar.
(c) Sir Donald Bradman.
(d) Anand Mehta.
11. At what school does Manju train in cricket while in England?
(a) The J.F. Browns International School.
(b) The Dhobi Talao International School.
(c) The Ali Weinberg International School.
(d) The Eknath Solkar International School.
12. What video game does Radha discover when he first visits the cybercafe?
(b) Super Mario Brothers.
(c) Grand Theft Auto.
(d) War of Warcraft.
13. In what city of England does Manju train for cricket?
14. In what class has Manju made critical errors, leading to his belief he will be thrown out of college during his first year?
(a) Latin Literature and History.
(b) English Literature.
(c) Chemistry Practicals Lab.
(d) Biology Lab.
15. For how long is Manju's scholarship to last in England?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 6 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the gang that Manju accuses Javed of being in?
2. Where does Anand Mehta say he is dealing with the mafia after the game on Selection Day?
3. To what bar does Mohan go in the morning to lament the disappearance of his sons after Selection Day?
4. What ultimatum does Javed give to Manju when he offers him a place to stay after Selection Day?
5. Who intervenes when Mohan goes to slap Radha when his batting average falls in Part One?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)