|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Coach Sawant tell Mohan he has to leave during the meeting with Tommy Sir in Part One?
(a) Because Tommy Sir wants to adopt the boys.
(b) Because Tommy Sir is agorophobic.
(c) Because Tommy Sir hates fathers.
(d) Because Tommy Sir will speak to him afterwards.
2. By what term does Tommy Sir describe Mohan as being when he talks to Srinivas at the cricket game in Part One?
(a) A manipulator.
(b) A cheat.
(c) A control freak.
(d) A lazy father.
3. Where does Pramod describe the younger Kumar batting today in a cricket game when talking to Tommy Sir in Part One?
(a) The Oval Maidan.
(c) The Ali Weinberg International School.
(d) The Mafia Bar.
4. What does the narrator tell pen-tops they really are in the opening of the novel?
5. Who is the 15-year-old student of the Ali Weinberg School in Bandra that Mohan and his sons watch on television at their new home in Part One?
(a) Bal Thackeray.
(b) Javed Ansari.
(c) Dhobi Talao.
(d) B.B. Balasubramaniam.
6. Who is described in Part One as the "father of modern education in the suburb of Bandra"?
(a) Ravi Shastri.
(b) Karim Ali.
(c) Anand Mehta.
(d) Eknath Solkar.
7. The spotty-necked girl says, regarding cricket, when she is out with Manju and Radha in Part One that nothing that does what can be called a sport?
(a) Stops for lunch.
(b) Requires a bat.
(c) Requires padding.
(d) Uses a timer.
8. How old does Tommy Sir say he was when he began working on a history of the Maratha campaign at the third battle of Panipat in Part One?
9. How much money was Mohan forced to pay for a security deposit on his new home after leaving the slum?
(a) 10,000 rupees.
(b) 20,000 rupees.
(c) 40,000 rupees.
(d) 30,000 rupees.
10. Why does Manju's father refuse to let him sit on the train on the way to cricket practice in Part One?
(a) Because he does not want him to fall asleep.
(b) Because he does not want his son to feel happiness.
(c) Because it is impolite to sit on the train.
(d) Because there is water on the seats.
11. To what neighborhood do Mohan and his sons move after they have saved enough money to leave the slum?
12. When Radha and Manju take a yearly visit to their home village from Mumbai, where do they get off the train, according to the narrator in Part One?
13. What Biblical verse is cited in the opening of the novel with the line: "My heritage is ... like a lion in the forest; it criest out against me"?
(a) Jeremiah 12:8.
(b) Psalm 27:4.
(c) Proverbs 17:17.
(d) John 15:13.
14. In Mohan's "Cricket Rules," what is one to do with one's head?
(a) Keep it down.
(b) Keep it tilted left.
(c) Keep it absolutely still.
(d) Keep it tilted right.
15. At what time would Radha's father take him out every day for cricket practice when he was four years old, according to the narrator in the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of Mohar's sons' future earnings to become the legal property of Shri Mehta, according to the contract that Mohan has signed in Part One?
2. At what temple does Mohan deliver money after he has received the first installment of the scholarship fund in Part One?
3. What is said to be Tommy Sir's favorite deodorant?
4. What river is described in Part One as "a rock-filled sewer, lit up by egrets and the flutter of a paddy-bird returning to its nest of twigs"?
5. According to Mohan's rules for his sons, what "will destroy anything, even a secret contract with God"?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)