|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from the Prologue means "darkness"?
2. When Radha and Manju take a yearly visit to their home village from Mumbai, where do they get off the train, according to the narrator in Part One?
3. Whom does Srinivas describe discovering as a cricket player for India when he meets the cricketers practicing with Manju in Part One?
(a) Ravi Shastri.
(b) Dhobi Talao.
(c) B.B. Balasubramaniam.
(d) Bal Thackeray.
4. Who is the 15-year-old student of the Ali Weinberg School in Bandra that Mohan and his sons watch on television at their new home in Part One?
(a) Javed Ansari.
(b) Bal Thackeray.
(c) Dhobi Talao.
(d) B.B. Balasubramaniam.
5. At what time would Radha's father take him out every day for cricket practice when he was four years old, according to the narrator in the beginning of the novel?
6. What is the "lord's golden spear" referred to as at the Subramanya temple?
(a) The alm.
(b) The sik.
(c) The alur.
(d) The vel.
7. Where has Manju been injured when he bats the winning game in Part One?
(a) His right leg.
(b) His shoulder.
(c) His left ankle.
(d) His left thumb.
8. How old does Tommy Sir say he was when he began working on a history of the Maratha campaign at the third battle of Panipat in Part One?
9. To what neighborhood do Mohan and his sons move after they have saved enough money to leave the slum?
10. Who is the girl who is described as the "spotty-necked one" at Manju's school?
11. The narrator in Part One says, "Revenge is the capitalism of" what?
(a) "The educated."
(b) "The uneducated."
(c) "The poor."
(d) "The rich."
12. Who is the principal of the Alii Weinberg International School?
(a) Ravi Shastri.
(b) Patricia D'Mello.
(c) Anand Mehta.
(d) Eknath Solkar.
13. What does Radha tell Manju he is going to buy him as soon as they have money in Part One?
(b) A bat.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A glove.
14. When a woman asks Manju for directions to his home after Radha has broken the batting record, he tells her that his father is a businessman in what industries in Part One?
(a) Wood and coal.
(b) Textbooks and publication.
(c) Gold and real estate.
(d) Chutney and rice.
15. In Mohan's "Cricket Rules," what is one to do with one's head?
(a) Keep it tilted right.
(b) Keep it down.
(c) Keep it absolutely still.
(d) Keep it tilted left.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Radha order at the fast-food shack when he goes with Manju and the spotty-necked girl in Part One?
2. What Biblical verse is cited in the opening of the novel with the line: "My heritage is ... like a lion in the forest; it criest out against me"?
3. The spotty-necked girl says, regarding cricket, when she is out with Manju and Radha in Part One that nothing that does what can be called a sport?
4. The narrator says in Part One that "There is a Chutney Mafia in this city, run by men called" what?
5. What letter is sequined on the handbag of the spotty-necked girl when she goes out to eat with Manju and Radha?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)