|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Emerson attack in "The Fugitive Slave Law"?
2. What denomination did Ripley come from?
3. In what city did John Brown lead a revolt?
4. What does culture allow humans to do, according to "Culture"?
5. What group did Emerson share "Ezra Ripley, D.D." with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Emerson's two trips to England, including the year for each, which led to his writing of "English Traits".
2. Explain the relationship between Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.
3. Why did Emerson write "Abraham Lincoln"? How did New Englanders feel about this?
4. What significance does "Walden" have to Emerson?
5. What did Emerson think of his stepfather?
6. Why do some people glamorize farming? Why does Emerson say they should not?
7. In what three ways do geniuses maintain their distance from others?
8. According to "Napoleon; or, the Man of the World", what evidence is there that Napoleon was a genius?
9. How does Emerson say a truly clever man accumulates wealth? What examples does Emerson give?
10. What does Emerson think of Daniel Webster? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion and faith in Emerson's writings.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of nature in Emerson's writings.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role slavery plays in Emerson's writing.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)