|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group did Emerson share "Ezra Ripley, D.D." with?
2. How was Emerson received on his last trip to England?
3. What would Carlyle do if elected to Parliament, according to Emerson?
4. What poem of Emerson's is about the woods and pond on his own property?
5. Whose rights did the Fugitive Slave Law protect?
Short Essay Questions
1. List at least three negative qualities Napoleon possessed. What effect did he have on modern society?
2. Describe Emerson's two trips to England, including the year for each, which led to his writing of "English Traits".
3. Explain the essential goodness of wealth, according to "Conduct of Life".
4. In what three ways do geniuses maintain their distance from others?
5. Explain the Emancipation Proclamation.
6. What significance does "Walden" have to Emerson?
7. Explain the events that led to John Brown's death.
8. What example does Emerson give in "Thoreau" of Thoreau's individualism?
9. How does Emerson say a truly clever man accumulates wealth? What examples does Emerson give?
10. How does Emerson describe Brown in "John Brown"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion and faith in Emerson's writings.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Emerson's view of the rite of communion in Christianity. Include the Biblical evidence he uses in his essay, "The Lord's Supper", to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)