|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows humans to survive culturally, according to Emerson?
2. What state's citizens did Daniel Webster betray?
3. What form does "Emancipation in the British West Indies" take?
4. What was Carlyle's career?
5. What word does Emerson use to describe Napoleon's intellect?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "Culture", what is culture? How does it develop?
2. What does Emerson think of Daniel Webster? Why?
3. What did Emerson think of his stepfather?
4. Explain Emancipation Day, which was the inspiration for "Emancipation in the British West Indies".
5. Explain the events that led to John Brown's death.
6. How does Emerson describe Brown in "John Brown"?
7. What is the purpose of "Ezra Ripley, D.D."? Where was it presented?
8. Why do some people glamorize farming? Why does Emerson say they should not?
9. What three things does Emerson say Thomas Carlyle was?
10. What does Emerson think of slavery, according to "Emancipation in the British West Indies"? What challenge does he issue in his essay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Emerson's view of Abraham Lincoln? Use examples from Emerson's essays to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of "Selected Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson"? What do you learn about Emerson by reading it?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role slavery plays in Emerson's writing.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)