|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age did Napoleon usher in that the West had yet to recover from, according to Emerson?
(a) A fascination with New Age mysticism.
(b) Selfishness and materialism.
(c) Intellectualism and Spirituality.
(d) The Industrial Age.
2. What does a dollar represent, according to Emerson?
(a) Intellectual value.
(b) Moral value.
(c) Spiritual value.
(d) Monetary value.
3. What does culture allow humans to do, according to "Culture"?
(a) Understand each other.
(d) Live together in harmony.
4. What kind of nature does Emerson say the farmer has?
(c) The kind of nature that teaches others life lessons.
(d) Innocent and pure.
5. In what does Emerson say men truly learn?
(c) Both solitude and society.
(d) Education and experience.
6. Which of the following is NOT learned by humans to survive culturally?
(a) New behaviors.
(b) New skills.
(c) New languages.
(d) New survival strategies.
7. What kind of a president does Emerson say Lincoln was?
(d) A president for the ages.
8. What does "Emancipation in the British West Indies" celebrate?
(a) The day Emerson's family freed their slaves.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) Emancipation Day.
(d) American Independence Day.
9. What was Thoreau's full name?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) Jason William Thoreau.
(c) Samuel Taylor Thoreau.
(d) Thomas Stephen Thoreau.
10. What allows humans to survive culturally, according to Emerson?
11. What form does "Emancipation in the British West Indies" take?
(a) A poem.
(b) A brochure.
(c) A tract.
(d) A letter.
12. What does Emerson say threatens culture?
(a) A totalitarian government.
(b) An excess of egotism.
(d) Lack of education.
13. What would Carlyle do if elected to Parliament, according to Emerson?
(a) End slavery.
(b) Close down all newspapers.
(c) Expand slavery.
(d) Gag reporters.
14. What contemporary of Emerson's can be seen in his poem "Uriel"?
(a) T. S. Eliot.
(b) William Wordsworth.
(c) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
15. What contemporary of Emerson's is suggested in his poem "Forerunners"?
(a) William Blake.
(b) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(c) William Wordsworth.
(d) T. S. Eliot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emerson say about the southern states in "The Emancipation Proclamation"?
2. What state does Emerson challenge in "Emancipation in the British West Indies"?
3. What was Carlyle's first name?
4. What type of man idolized Napoleon, according to Emerson?
5. Whose rights did the Fugitive Slave Law protect?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)