|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of man idolized Napoleon, according to Emerson?
(a) The common man.
(b) The intellectual man.
(c) His idolization spanned all types of men.
(d) The natural man.
2. Why did Thoreau not have his highly superior pencil produced, despite its acclaim?
(a) He did not see the point in repeating himself.
(b) He did not want to "sell out."
(c) He did not think it would catch on.
(d) He did not have the time or skills to market it properly.
3. Whom does Emerson compare Lincoln to in "Abraham Lincoln"?
(a) George Washington.
(b) The Buddha.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Jesus Christ.
4. What does culture allow humans to do, according to "Culture"?
(b) Live together in harmony.
(c) Understand each other.
5. What word does Emerson use to describe Napoleon's intellect?
6. What kind of success did Napoleon focus on?
7. What was John Brown's punishment after the revolt?
8. Which of the following is NOT a way men of genius maintain their distance from others?
(a) An acid tongue.
9. What does Emerson say about the southern states in "The Emancipation Proclamation"?
(a) They had the right idea, but did not execute it properly.
(b) They will fall by the wayside.
(c) They will be joined into one state.
(d) Let them secede.
10. What did Lincoln understand, according to Emerson?
(b) How to get what he wanted.
(c) The value of hard work.
(d) How to persuade people with his oratory.
11. What does Emerson say threatens culture?
(a) An excess of egotism.
(c) Lack of education.
(d) A totalitarian government.
12. What is the first poem in the collection "Poetry"?
(a) "Lines to Ellen".
(d) "The Problem".
13. What kind of men do the hard work of farming?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) Men of great faith.
(c) Men of nature.
(d) Men of endurance.
14. What was the main argument in favor of the Fugitive Slave Law?
(a) It is easier to protect slaves than to give blacks equal rights.
(b) It is an accepted practice in the British West Indies.
(c) Slavery is an accepted practice in America.
(d) Families should not be punished for the situation slaves are in.
15. What did Emerson think of slavery?
(a) He thought it was inherently evil.
(b) He thought it would soon be obsolete as machines took the places of slaves.
(c) He thought it was a necessary evil.
(d) He thought it could be reformed to be an effective practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom or what is "Conduct of Life" a love letter?
2. Where does Emerson say egotism likely comes from?
3. When was Emerson's last trip to England?
4. What did Napoleon call himself?
5. According to Emerson, why is the farmer blessed?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)