|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ezra Ripley, D.D..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emerson say people hope to have happen to old patterns?
(a) To find others who share them.
(b) To learn from them.
(c) To be shocked out of them.
(d) To forget them.
2. What does Plato's concept of the dichotomy of the body and soul provide the foundation for, according to Emerson?
(a) Paganism's polytheism.
(b) America's bipartisanism.
(c) Christianity's monotheism.
(d) The afterlife.
3. What is the direction of nature and human consciousness?
(a) The creation of ever-widening circles.
(b) Like a labyrinth that turns in on itself.
(c) An unlighted path.
(d) Walking an endless circle.
4. To whom is "Ezra Ripley, D.D." a tribute?
(a) Emerson's stepfather.
(b) Emerson's academic advisor.
(c) Emerson's uncle.
(d) Emerson's childhood best friend.
5. What job did Ripley have before entering college?
(c) Day laborer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emerson describe Ripley?
2. What philosopher did Emerson say was the beginning and end of all philosophy?
3. What did Plato emphasize over the body, according to "Plato, or the Philosopher"?
4. What denomination did Ripley come from?
5. Where did Ripley graduate college?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)