|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ezra Ripley, D.D..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is truth revealed, according to "Intellect"?
(a) As a wandering light.
(b) As a butterfly from a caterpillar.
(c) As a bolt of lightning.
(d) As a wave in the ocean.
2. What is the direction of nature and human consciousness?
(a) Like a labyrinth that turns in on itself.
(b) Walking an endless circle.
(c) The creation of ever-widening circles.
(d) An unlighted path.
3. What philosopher did Emerson say was the beginning and end of all philosophy?
(d) Immanuel Kant.
4. Where did Ripley graduate college?
(c) Boston College.
(d) New York University.
5. What group did Emerson share "Ezra Ripley, D.D." with?
(a) A local library group.
(b) The Social Circle of Concord.
(c) Concord's daily newspaper.
(d) Boston College.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emerson describe Ripley?
2. To whom is "Ezra Ripley, D.D." a tribute?
3. What is the only permanent thing in the universe, according to Emerson?
4. What did Plato emphasize over the body, according to "Plato, or the Philosopher"?
5. What does Emerson say people hope to have happen to old patterns?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)