Essay Topics/Writing Assignments
These 20 essay questions can be used as essay questions on a test, or as stand-alone essay topics for a take-home or in-class writing assignment. Students should have a full understanding of the text in order to answer these questions. They ask for a thorough analysis of the text.
1. Explain transcendentalism, focusing on Emerson's expressions of it in "Selected Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson".
2. Explain the role of religion and faith in Emerson's writings.
3. Compare and contrast the role of solitude and society in the lives of thinkers.
4. Explain the role slavery plays in Emerson's writing.
5. Explain the relationship between Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.
6. Explain the role of English romantic poetry on Emerson's writing, including a definition of romantic poetry in your answer.
7. Explain Emerson's relationship with Thomas Carlyle.
8. What was...
This section contains 315 words|
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)