|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who requested that Cicero take the case against Verres?
2. How many men came to Cicero's house according to the eighteenth letter?
3. With what are the Roman tribunals branded?
4. In the eighteenth letter, who came to Cicero's house?
5. What will Cicero be after Hortensius is consul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Cicero send Atticus in the sixteenth letter?
2. According to Cicero in his second argument, what is the relationship like between Cicero and Verres prior to the trial?
3. Who wrote the eighth letter and to whom was it written?
4. What concern does Cicero express in his second letter?
5. To whom did Cicero send the last letter of Cicero's Life and Letters, Selection from his Correspondence and why?
6. What does Cicero complain about in the fourth letter?
7. What did Cicero learn from trustworthy sources concerning his candidacy to aedile, according to his eighth argument?
8. What does the ninth argument tell us about Cicero's opinion of Marcus Metellus?
9. According to Cicero, what is the first thing Verres did when he came back from Sicily?
10. Who is Cicero's contestant in the court in his tenth argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cato the Elder emphasizes respect as the crowning glory of aging. Examine Cicero's discussion of how the foundation needs to be laid early in life. Use examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Cicero opposes and criticizes Marcus Antonius who shared his power with Octavian. Six months after Caesar's assassination, Cicero addresses the political instability that resulted. Analyze Cicero's discussion of political instability that resulted from Caesar's rule. Use examples to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 1, Attack on Misgovernment, is a series of judicial orations given by Cicero against Verres, a corrupt governor of Sicily. The defense's strategy emphasized delaying the trial for as long as possible. Discuss the defense's strategy and how Cicero thwarts the strategy. Use examples from the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)