|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Verres do with the money embezzled during his third year as Sicilian praetor?
2. With what are the Roman tribunals branded?
3. In Cicero's Life and Letters, Selection from his Correspondence, to whom did Cicero write the first letter?
4. How does Cicero feel about Gaius' chance for victory against his rival?
5. To whom did Cicero write the second letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cicero professes himself to be an enemy of what men?
2. According to Cicero, what is the first thing Verres did when he came back from Sicily?
3. In the twelfth letter, what does Cicero say about the death of Caesar?
4. To whom did Cicero send the last letter of Cicero's Life and Letters, Selection from his Correspondence and why?
5. What are the names of Cicero's wife and children?
6. What does Cicero complain about in the fourth letter?
7. What news does Cicero send Atticus in the sixteenth letter?
8. Why didn't Verres' plan to bribe the judge succeed?
9. What did Hortensius tell Verres after his election to consul?
10. What did Cicero learn from trustworthy sources concerning his candidacy to aedile, according to his eighth argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cicero attacks Hortensius, Verres' defense lawyer, as part of the strategy. Discuss Cicero's attack on Hortensius and analyze whether or not this attack or action was warranted. Use quotes from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Cato focuses on the pleasures of age, including liberation from youthful pleasures like sensual greed. Examine the benefits and drawbacks to such liberation and how old age may bring pleasure to one's life. Provide textual support for your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Cicero discusses the Stoic ideal and how important it is to live consistently with nature and moral rightness by doing what nature demands. Analyze what nature demands and how doing right always brings about good. Provide examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)