|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cicero say never advances the interests of an individual?
2. Which of Antony's accusations does Cicero find the most serious?
(a) The Roman Senate is corrupt.
(b) Cicero started the feud between them.
(c) Antony started the feud between them.
(d) The people of Rome hate Cicero.
3. How does Cicero say a man can balance advantages and rightness?
(a) By asking Cicero.
(b) By always considering his advantages first.
(c) By going to the oracle.
(d) By always doing the right thing.
4. Who was Hannibal's father?
(c) Marcus Atilius Regulus.
5. What argument did Anthony use to justify going after Cicero?
(a) Cicero stole from Antony.
(b) Cicero beat Antony in an election.
(c) Cicero spoke against Antony at a friend's lawsuit.
(d) Cicero married Antony's love interest.
6. Cicero argues that ___________ is unnatural.
(c) Doing wrong.
(d) Doing right.
7. In the first section of A Practical Code of Behavior, whom does Cicero praise?
8. What does one side think of the attitude of the merchant who doesn't tell the other merchants about the food shortage?
9. Who nominated Cicero for the position of augur?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(c) Gaius Scribonius Curio.
(d) Pompey and Quintus Hortensius.
10. What does justice demand of individuals?
(c) Clarity of mind.
11. What would make it right for an honest man to steal from a tyrant to save his life according to Cicero?
(a) Common sense.
(b) Common interest.
(c) Human nature.
12. What does Cicero consider and debate in section nine?
(a) If stealing is always necessary.
(b) If honesty is always necessary.
(c) If lying is always necessary.
(d) If rightness is always necessary.
13. Cicero believed that __________ is a united body.
(b) The military.
(d) The judges.
14. What was Publius Clodius' main quality?
15. Who interprets right as the only good according to Cicero?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the dishonest man hide his crimes in section five?
2. What does Cicero wish philosophy will be to Scipio's son?
3. What do the respected men whom Cicero discusses have in common?
4. In the second section of A Practical Code of Behavior, what does Cicero argue cannot be weighed against advantage?
5. The invisible man should listen to ___________.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)