|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Cicero call "brave men"?
(a) Two senators.
(b) Two Deciuses.
(c) Two Gurios.
(d) Two verres.
2. What favor did Cicero acknowledge Antony did for him?
(a) Antony got him out of jail.
(b) Antony helped him get elected.
(c) Antony loaned him money.
(d) Antony didn't kill him.
3. Why did Cicero ironically think Antony broke off the relationship with him?
(a) To make friends of judges.
(b) To please Cicero's old enemies.
(c) To make friends in reputable circles.
(d) To make friends in disreputable circles.
4. What did Ulysses do to avoid military service?
(a) Simulated madness.
(b) Stopped the war.
(c) Fled the country.
5. What reason could a sick man use to break a promise of payment?
(a) Party one last time.
(b) Leave money to his children.
(c) To buy medicine.
(d) Pay for a more comfortable bed.
6. Who nominated Cicero for the position of augur?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) Gaius Scribonius Curio.
(d) Pompey and Quintus Hortensius.
7. What was Publius Clodius' main quality?
8. According to Cicero, what is the most serious crime a man can commit?
(a) To kill an enemy.
(b) To kill a tyrant.
(c) To kill a woman.
(d) To kill a friend.
9. What does Cicero say never advances the interests of an individual?
10. What does justice demand of individuals?
(d) Clarity of mind.
11. Who interprets right as the only good according to Cicero?
12. In the second section of A Practical Code of Behavior, what does Cicero argue cannot be weighed against advantage?
(c) Ideal right.
13. Who rescued the Senate from annihilation according to Cicero?
14. What impact does sharp practice have on the community?
(a) Makes the people want more money.
(d) No impact.
15. What would explain Antony trying to put Cicero at odds with the Senate?
(a) He wants to disband the Senate.
(b) He wants to take Cicero's place in the Senate.
(c) He wants to ban Cicero from Rome.
(d) He wants to compete with Cicero as a speaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What examples does Cicero use to illustrate hard moral cases?
2. Who would have prevented Antony from going to Cicero's home, according to Cicero?
3. What are goodness and right?
4. Who was Hannibal's father?
5. What does Cicero argue can be broken in section nine?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)