|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should the invisible man do according to Cicero?
(a) Continue to enrich himself.
(b) Resist temptation.
(c) Exile himself.
(d) Forgive himself.
2. Who discovered that Ulysses was faking madness?
(c) The barbarians.
3. Who was Hannibal's father?
(d) Marcus Atilius Regulus.
4. The invisible man should listen to ___________.
(a) His friends.
(b) The law.
(c) The oracle.
(d) His true good.
5. What examples does Cicero use to illustrate hard moral cases?
(a) Good men stealing from bad or useless men.
(b) Good men stealing from good men.
(c) Bad men stealing from good men.
(d) Bad men stealing from useless men.
6. Why did Cicero ironically think Antony broke off the relationship with him?
(a) To please Cicero's old enemies.
(b) To make friends in reputable circles.
(c) To make friends of judges.
(d) To make friends in disreputable circles.
7. Which of Antony's accusations does Cicero find the most serious?
(a) The people of Rome hate Cicero.
(b) Cicero started the feud between them.
(c) Antony started the feud between them.
(d) The Roman Senate is corrupt.
8. What will the law always imperfectly mirror according to Cicero?
(c) The human condition.
9. What would explain Antony trying to put Cicero at odds with the Senate?
(a) He wants to disband the Senate.
(b) He wants to compete with Cicero as a speaker.
(c) He wants to ban Cicero from Rome.
(d) He wants to take Cicero's place in the Senate.
10. Cicero states that men shouldn't covet __________.
(b) One another's goods.
(c) Another's wife.
11. What are goodness and right?
(c) Never used together.
12. Who helped Antony be elected as augur?
(c) Quintus Hortensius.
13. Cicero argues that ___________ is unnatural.
(a) Doing right.
(c) Doing wrong.
14. What does Cicero argue about those who think that doing wrong is to their advantage?
(a) They were right.
(b) They can't escape justice.
(c) They are everywhere.
(d) They were wrong.
15. What was Publius Clodius' main quality?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first section of A Practical Code of Behavior, whom does Cicero praise?
2. Who bore a resemblance to wise men, but were not according to Cicero?
3. According to Cicero, whose ideal is "to live consistently with nature"?
4. Whom does Cicero believe became the conqueror's chief gangster?
5. What is Scipio's son's name?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)