|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anthony claim to have done during the election of the augurship?
(a) To have won the election.
(b) To not have participated.
(c) To have bought votes.
(d) To have retired in Cicero's favor.
2. What would explain Antony trying to put Cicero at odds with the Senate?
(a) He wants to ban Cicero from Rome.
(b) He wants to disband the Senate.
(c) He wants to compete with Cicero as a speaker.
(d) He wants to take Cicero's place in the Senate.
3. What does one side think of the attitude of the merchant who doesn't tell the other merchants about the food shortage?
4. In the second section of A Practical Code of Behavior, what does Cicero argue cannot be weighed against advantage?
(b) Ideal right.
5. What favor did Cicero acknowledge Antony did for him?
(a) Antony loaned him money.
(b) Antony got him out of jail.
(c) Antony didn't kill him.
(d) Antony helped him get elected.
6. What does Cicero consider and debate in section nine?
(a) If stealing is always necessary.
(b) If honesty is always necessary.
(c) If rightness is always necessary.
(d) If lying is always necessary.
7. Cicero states that men shouldn't covet __________.
(c) Another's wife.
(d) One another's goods.
8. What should happen to people who steal?
(a) They should be put to death.
(b) They should be cut from society.
(c) They should experience the same crime.
(d) They should be forgiven.
9. What was the former position of Antony's father-in-law?
10. What will the law always imperfectly mirror according to Cicero?
(b) The human condition.
11. What fate did Rome's enemies share over the past twenty years?
(a) Political functions.
12. What was Publius Clodius' main quality?
13. What part of society does Cicero analyze in section seven?
(a) The law.
(b) Social life.
(d) The individual.
14. What does Cicero wish philosophy will be to Scipio's son?
(a) Annoying and profitable.
(b) Rewarding and profitable.
(c) Fruitful and annoying.
(d) Fruitful and rewarding.
15. How does Cicero say a man can balance advantages and rightness?
(a) By always doing the right thing.
(b) By going to the oracle.
(c) By always considering his advantages first.
(d) By asking Cicero.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero say never advances the interests of an individual?
2. Cicero believed that __________ is a united body.
3. What reason does Antony give for visiting Cicero's house?
4. Who discovered that Ulysses was faking madness?
5. According to Cicero, what is the most serious crime a man can commit?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)