|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor did Cicero acknowledge Antony did for him?
(a) Antony got him out of jail.
(b) Antony loaned him money.
(c) Antony didn't kill him.
(d) Antony helped him get elected.
2. What does Cicero believe can make society fall apart?
(a) Greek influence.
(b) The Stoic influence.
(c) Men acting only in their self interest.
(d) Barbarian invasion.
3. In the second section of A Practical Code of Behavior, what does Cicero argue cannot be weighed against advantage?
(c) Ideal right.
4. What was the former position of Antony's father-in-law?
5. What level does the duty of becoming wiser and better occupy, according to Cicero's arguments?
6. Why did Cicero ironically think Antony broke off the relationship with him?
(a) To make friends in reputable circles.
(b) To make friends of judges.
(c) To make friends in disreputable circles.
(d) To please Cicero's old enemies.
7. Which of Antony's accusations does Cicero find the most serious?
(a) Antony started the feud between them.
(b) The Roman Senate is corrupt.
(c) The people of Rome hate Cicero.
(d) Cicero started the feud between them.
8. How does Cicero characterize robbery?
(b) Human like.
9. Who rescued the Senate from annihilation according to Cicero?
10. How does Cicero see the theme of criticizing Antony and justifying himself?
(a) Rich and promising.
(b) Too long to dive into.
(c) Too short.
11. What will the law always imperfectly mirror according to Cicero?
(a) The human condition.
12. Who would have prevented Antony from going to Cicero's home, according to Cicero?
(a) Cicero himself.
(c) Gaius Scribonius Curio.
(d) Julius Caesar.
13. In the first section of A Practical Code of Behavior, whom does Cicero praise?
14. What does justice demand of individuals?
(d) Clarity of mind.
15. What does Cicero say might sometimes be in the advantage of a country?
(a) Breaking a treaty.
(b) Going to war.
(c) Signing a treaty.
(d) Electing dishonest officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of society does Cicero analyze in section seven?
2. What does Cicero say never advances the interests of an individual?
3. Why would it be an advantage for a merchant to arrive early at a market during a food shortage?
4. What does Cicero consider and debate in section nine?
5. What argument did Anthony use to justify going after Cicero?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)