|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the fifteenth letter, how does Cicero qualify the state of the country?
(b) In trouble.
(c) In revolt.
(d) In chaos.
2. Why does Caesar claim to need Cicero?
(a) For Cicero's sake.
(b) For Caesar's sake.
(c) For the empire's sake.
(d) For Pompey's sake.
3. What did Cicero propose to the recipient of the first letter?
(a) To pay him for counsel.
(b) To be his political ally.
(c) To be a senator.
(d) To vote for him.
4. To whom did Cicero write the second letter?
(c) His wife.
5. According to Cicero in his fourth argument against Verres, what was the name of the consul Verres betrayed?
(a) Mark Antony.
(c) Julius Caesar.
(d) Cnaeus Carbo.
6. Who restored the tribunes?
(a) Marcus Atilius.
(b) Cnaeus Pompeius.
(c) Cnaeus Tremellius.
(d) Quintus Catulus.
7. To whom did Cicero send the final letter in Cicero's Life and Letters?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) Lucius Munatius Plancus.
8. How much money did Verres embezzled?
(a) 400,000,000 sesterces.
(b) 300,000 sesterces.
(c) 400,000 sesterces.
(d) 10,000 sesterces.
9. With what are the Roman tribunals branded?
10. Who is the recipient of the fifteenth letter in Cicero's Life and Letters?
(b) Marcus Terentius Varro.
11. Who co-wrote the eighth letter with Cicero?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
(d) His brother and their sons.
12. What is the main topic of the sixteenth letter?
(a) Cicero's daughter's election.
(b) Cicero's daughter's wedding.
(c) Cicero's daughter's death.
(d) Cicero's daughter's birth.
13. What is Cicero's wife's name, as noted in his third letter?
14. How long did Cicero spend investigating Verres in Sicily?
(a) 50 days.
(b) 75 days.
(c) 40 days.
(d) 110 days.
15. Marcus Atilius was convicted of ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Cicero's Life and Letters, Selection from his Correspondence, to whom did Cicero write the first letter?
2. What does Verres do with the money embezzled during his third year as Sicilian praetor?
3. What are the moral standards of Publius Sulpicius, the judge?
4. What will Cicero be after Hortensius is consul?
5. What does Cicero promise to the Roman people?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)