|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Cicero propose to the recipient of the first letter?
(a) To vote for him.
(b) To be his political ally.
(c) To pay him for counsel.
(d) To be a senator.
2. According to Cicero in his eleventh argument against Verres, who is his adversary in the courtroom?
(b) The judges.
(c) The praetor.
3. What is Cicero nervous about in his seventh letter?
(a) The new Triumvirate.
(b) Julius Caesar.
(c) The provincial Governorship appointee.
(d) The war.
4. Where does Caesar invite Cicero in the thirteenth letter?
5. How many men came to Cicero's house according to the eighteenth letter?
(a) 20 men.
(b) 2000 men.
(c) 200 men.
(d) 2 men.
6. Who restored the tribunes?
(a) Cnaeus Pompeius.
(b) Marcus Atilius.
(c) Cnaeus Tremellius.
(d) Quintus Catulus.
7. How many senators have been condemned by the courts since restoring the tribunes?
8. To whom did Cicero write the second letter?
(b) His wife.
9. What will stop Cicero's fight against wicked men?
(a) His retirement.
(b) A large amount of money.
(c) His death.
(d) His wedding.
10. What does Cicero state cannot happen in a court of law?
(a) Conviction of a woman.
(b) Conviction of an innocent man.
(c) Conviction of a wealthy man.
(d) Conviction of a poor man.
11. How long did Cicero spend investigating Verres in Sicily?
(a) 50 days.
(b) 110 days.
(c) 40 days.
(d) 75 days.
12. In the seventeenth letter, what is Cicero's opinion of Brutus?
(a) He is a great man.
(b) He is short.
(c) He is a fool.
(d) He is ignorant.
13. What virtue does Cicero hope Marcus Glabrio inherited from his father?
(a) Resisting audacious men.
(b) Financial planning.
(c) Staying sober.
(d) Physical strength.
14. What is the main topic of the sixteenth letter?
(a) Cicero's daughter's wedding.
(b) Cicero's daughter's birth.
(c) Cicero's daughter's death.
(d) Cicero's daughter's election.
15. According to the twenty-first letter, what is Cicero's reaction to the speech which he heard?
(a) It was good.
(b) It was short.
(c) It was bad.
(d) It was inconsistent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Cicero say he has in his third letter?
2. What does Gaius not do according to Cicero in the twenty-third letter?
3. In what did Verres put his expectation of safety?
4. According to Cicero in his eighteenth argument against Verres, what will change during the trial in comparison to the "old mode"?
5. With what are the Roman tribunals branded?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)