|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cicero in his sixth argument against Verres, what did Verres try to do after the consular comitia?
(a) Choose a new lawyer.
(c) Bribe judges.
(d) Plead guilty.
2. To whom did Cicero send the third letter?
(d) His wife.
3. How many men came to Cicero's house according to the eighteenth letter?
(a) 2000 men.
(b) 2 men.
(c) 200 men.
(d) 20 men.
4. What happened to Roman citizens under Verres' rule in Sicily?
(a) They were forcibly enrolled in the military.
(b) They were sent to Egypt.
(c) They were put to death like slaves.
(d) They were rewarded with many riches.
5. In the seventeenth letter, what is Cicero's opinion of Brutus?
(a) He is a fool.
(b) He is ignorant.
(c) He is short.
(d) He is a great man.
6. What is the personal connection between Verres and Metellus?
(b) Step brother.
(c) Childhood friend.
7. Whom is Cicero blaming for his wife's sorrow in his third letter?
(b) The war.
(c) His children.
8. Which of the god's temples did Verres spare from being raided in Sicily?
9. What does Verres do with the money embezzled during his third year as Sicilian praetor?
(a) Hid it for when he needed to flee.
(b) Spent it on real estate.
(c) Put it aside to bribe judges.
(d) Gave it to his associates.
10. Whom does Verres think ill of in Cicero's third argument against Verres?
(a) The Senate.
(c) Virtuous men.
(d) The judges.
11. According to Cicero in his first point in Attack on Misgovernment, Against Verres I, how does Cicero see the court as being?
(a) In good moral standing.
(b) In chaos.
(c) In disarray.
(d) In discredit.
12. How many children does Cicero say he has in his third letter?
(a) Three children.
(b) No children.
(c) One child.
(d) Two children.
13. What is at stake if Lucius refuses to identify himself with the cause of Roman freedom, according to the final letter?
(a) Lucius' citizenship.
(b) Lucius' position.
(c) Lucius' life.
(d) Lucius' money.
14. What is Cicero nervous about in his seventh letter?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) The new Triumvirate.
(c) The provincial Governorship appointee.
(d) The war.
15. What did the new consul elect tell Verres when Verres congratulated him for his victory?
(a) "The consul cannot help you."
(b) "Thank you for your financial support."
(c) "You have been acquitted by this day's comitia."
(d) "You need to flee the country immediately."
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtue does Cicero hope Marcus Glabrio inherited from his father?
2. Who wrote the ninth letter?
3. What does Gaius not do according to Cicero in the twenty-third letter?
4. What caused dissension, according to the final letter in Cicero's Life and Letters?
5. What will stop Cicero's fight against wicked men?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)