|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Cicero's Life and Letters, Selection from his Correspondence, to whom did Cicero write the first letter?
2. How much money did Verres embezzled?
(a) 10,000 sesterces.
(b) 300,000 sesterces.
(c) 400,000 sesterces.
(d) 400,000,000 sesterces.
3. Whose speech does Cicero go and listen to according to the twenty-first letter?
4. What did Sicily's praetor, speaking as the consul, tell Sicilians about Verres?
(a) Verres is asking for their pardon.
(b) There is no possibility of Verres being convicted.
(c) Verres will flee Italy.
(d) Verres will be convicted.
5. According to Cicero in his sixth argument against Verres, what did Verres try to do after the consular comitia?
(b) Plead guilty.
(c) Bribe judges.
(d) Choose a new lawyer.
6. How does Cicero feel about Gaius' chance for victory against his rival?
(a) He is realistic.
(b) He is in denial.
(c) He is optimistic.
(d) He is pessimistic.
7. What does Cicero state cannot happen in a court of law?
(a) Conviction of a poor man.
(b) Conviction of a wealthy man.
(c) Conviction of a woman.
(d) Conviction of an innocent man.
8. Who restored the tribunes?
(a) Marcus Atilius.
(b) Cnaeus Tremellius.
(c) Quintus Catulus.
(d) Cnaeus Pompeius.
9. To whom did Cicero write the second letter?
(a) His wife.
10. According to Cicero in his fourth argument against Verres, what was the name of the consul Verres betrayed?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) Mark Antony.
(d) Cnaeus Carbo.
11. In the seventeenth letter, what is Cicero's opinion of Brutus?
(a) He is short.
(b) He is a fool.
(c) He is a great man.
(d) He is ignorant.
12. What will stop Cicero's fight against wicked men?
(a) A large amount of money.
(b) His wedding.
(c) His death.
(d) His retirement.
13. What will Cicero be after Hortensius is consul?
(a) Sicily's consul.
(b) In exile.
(c) A praetor.
(d) An aedile.
14. What is the personal connection between Verres and Metellus?
(c) Step brother.
(d) Childhood friend.
15. What defeated Verres' imprudence in selecting the judges to attempt to bribe?
(a) Cicero's spies.
(b) Cicero's bribes.
(c) Cicero's diligence.
(d) Cicero's honesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gaius not do according to Cicero in the twenty-third letter?
2. According to Cicero in his eleventh argument against Verres, who is his adversary in the courtroom?
3. In the eighteenth letter, who came to Cicero's house?
4. Where was Cicero going when he wrote the second letter?
5. What consul, in particular, is Cicero happy with according to the twenty-third letter?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)