|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Verres think ill of in Cicero's third argument against Verres?
(a) Virtuous men.
(b) The judges.
(c) The Senate.
2. According to the twenty-first letter, what is Cicero's reaction to the speech which he heard?
(a) It was bad.
(b) It was good.
(c) It was inconsistent.
(d) It was short.
3. Who restored the tribunes?
(a) Cnaeus Tremellius.
(b) Quintus Catulus.
(c) Marcus Atilius.
(d) Cnaeus Pompeius.
4. Who hates Verres more than the Roman people in the fifteenth argument?
(a) Cnaeus Tremellius.
(c) The judges.
5. What are Cicero feelings about Pompey's decision to go against Caesar?
(a) He wants to be part of the coup.
(b) He does not want to take sides.
(c) Pompey is right.
(d) Pompey is wrong.
6. Who helped Cicero fend off attempts by Verres to tarnish him?
(a) His friends.
(b) The consul.
(c) The police.
(d) The Senate.
7. Whom does Cicero see in Rome according to the twenty-second letter?
8. What is Cicero expressing concern for in his third letter?
9. According to Cicero in his fourth argument, what position did Verres occupy when he embezzled public money and abandoned his province?
10. How many children does Cicero say he has in his third letter?
(a) One child.
(b) Three children.
(c) Two children.
(d) No children.
11. Whom is Cicero blaming for his wife's sorrow in his third letter?
(c) His children.
(d) The war.
12. Which of the god's temples did Verres spare from being raided in Sicily?
13. What did Cicero propose to the recipient of the first letter?
(a) To vote for him.
(b) To be his political ally.
(c) To pay him for counsel.
(d) To be a senator.
14. Why is Cicero trying to persuade Tiro from traveling?
(a) Tiro is a fugitive.
(b) War is raging.
(c) Tiro is old.
(d) Tiro is sick.
15. How much money did Verres embezzled?
(a) 10,000 sesterces.
(b) 400,000 sesterces.
(c) 400,000,000 sesterces.
(d) 300,000 sesterces.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Cicero send the third letter?
2. What danger does Cicero foresee despite preparing his case against Verres so well?
3. How long did Cicero spend investigating Verres in Sicily?
4. Where was Cicero going when he wrote the second letter?
5. What is the personal connection between Verres and Metellus?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)