|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the seventeenth letter, what is Cicero's opinion of Brutus?
(a) He is ignorant.
(b) He is a great man.
(c) He is a fool.
(d) He is short.
2. What defeated Verres' imprudence in selecting the judges to attempt to bribe?
(a) Cicero's bribes.
(b) Cicero's honesty.
(c) Cicero's spies.
(d) Cicero's diligence.
3. What is Cicero expressing concern for in his third letter?
4. How many men came to Cicero's house according to the eighteenth letter?
(a) 20 men.
(b) 200 men.
(c) 2 men.
(d) 2000 men.
5. Who wrote the ninth letter?
(d) Cicero's wife.
6. How many children does Cicero say he has in his third letter?
(a) One child.
(b) No children.
(c) Two children.
(d) Three children.
7. What qualifies Quintus Catulus, according to Cicero?
(a) Poor judgment and honor.
(b) Sagacity and dishonesty.
(c) Sagacity and honor.
(d) Poor judgment and dishonesty.
8. According to Cicero in his fourth argument against Verres, what was the name of the consul Verres betrayed?
(a) Mark Antony.
(b) Cnaeus Carbo.
(c) Julius Caesar.
9. Who is the recipient of the fifteenth letter in Cicero's Life and Letters?
(c) Marcus Terentius Varro.
10. What caused dissension, according to the final letter in Cicero's Life and Letters?
(a) Lucius' letter.
(b) Lucius' bribes.
(c) Lucius' speech.
(d) Lucius' influence.
11. What virtue does Cicero hope Marcus Glabrio inherited from his father?
(a) Resisting audacious men.
(b) Physical strength.
(c) Financial planning.
(d) Staying sober.
12. According to Cicero in his eighteenth argument against Verres, what will change during the trial in comparison to the "old mode"?
(a) The witnesses will be anonymous.
(b) The witnesses will be called as the counts are brought forward.
(c) Cicero will talk and then produce the witnesses.
(d) The witnesses will be ignored.
13. Whom is Cicero blaming for his wife's sorrow in his third letter?
(a) His children.
(d) The war.
14. Which of the god's temples did Verres spare from being raided in Sicily?
15. According to Cicero in his eighth argument against Verres, what responsibilities fell on Marcus Metellus?
(a) Murder trials.
(b) Treason trials.
(c) Petty theft trials.
(d) Extortion trials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose speech does Cicero go and listen to according to the twenty-first letter?
2. Who restored the tribunes?
3. What does Verres do with the money embezzled during his third year as Sicilian praetor?
4. What is the main topic of the sixteenth letter?
5. What is Cicero nervous about in his seventh letter?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)