|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Cato the Elder on Old Age, On Old Age.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gaius not do according to Cicero in the twenty-third letter?
(a) Invite Cicero to a hunting trip.
(b) Invite Cicero to his house.
(c) Invite Cicero to a banquet.
(d) Invite Cicero to his oath of office.
2. According to Cicero in his eighteenth argument against Verres, what will change during the trial in comparison to the "old mode"?
(a) Cicero will talk and then produce the witnesses.
(b) The witnesses will be anonymous.
(c) The witnesses will be called as the counts are brought forward.
(d) The witnesses will be ignored.
3. What does Cato say about youth's pleasures?
(a) They are unimportant.
(b) They are small.
(c) They are important.
(d) They are ridiculous.
4. What virtue does Cicero hope Marcus Glabrio inherited from his father?
(a) Financial planning.
(b) Staying sober.
(c) Resisting audacious men.
(d) Physical strength.
5. What does Cicero wish philosophy will be to Scipio's son?
(a) Annoying and profitable.
(b) Fruitful and annoying.
(c) Fruitful and rewarding.
(d) Rewarding and profitable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cato argues it is best to die with __________.
2. What happened to Roman citizens under Verres' rule in Sicily?
3. Whom does Verres think ill of in Cicero's third argument against Verres?
4. Whom does Cicero believe became the conqueror's chief gangster?
5. Cato says that no one should hope for __________.
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)