|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the poem about faces called?
2. In "To Holderlin", which pair of words describes the two distinct times in life?
3. In "The Bird Feeders," the poet emphasizes the value of __________.
4. How many poems are in Book 1, Chapter 6?
5. What is sonnet II-4 about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
2. What is the message behind "For the Sake of a Single Poem"?
3. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
4. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
5. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
6. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
7. Describe "To Music."
8. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
9. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
10. Describe "To Holderlin."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an elegy? Why do poets write elegies? What are the most common themes and subjects of Rilke's elegies? Why do you think this is so?
Essay Topic 2
What emotive language does Rilke use? What are other examples of emotive language that you might find in daily life? What is Rilke's most emotive poem? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Orpheus is so important to Rilke? How do you know that Orpheus is so important to Rilke? What literary devices are used in Rilke's references to Orpheus? What does the importance of Orpheus to Rilke say about poet?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)