|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In I-25, how does Rilke refer to a female character?
2. In "To Holderlin", which pair of words describes the two distinct times in life?
3. How many parts is "Uncollected Poems" divided into?
4. In the elegy about angels, "Every angel is ______."
5. What is markedly distinct about "To Music"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
2. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
3. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
4. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
5. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
6. What is the message behind "For the Sake of a Single Poem"?
7. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
8. What allusions does Rilke use in his poems, especially in the poem "Ariel"?
9. How does Rilke give in to tradition while writing, as exemplified in his elegies?
10. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Orpheus is so important to Rilke? How do you know that Orpheus is so important to Rilke? What literary devices are used in Rilke's references to Orpheus? What does the importance of Orpheus to Rilke say about poet?
Essay Topic 2
How does religion influence Rilke? Is it positive or negative as an influence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rilke use tone to convey a message? What literary techniques does he use to contribute to tone and message?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)