|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the "diaphonous girl"?
2. What is the poem about faces called?
3. What does Rilke refer to at the end of sonnet II-8?
4. What is the longest poem in Book 1, Chapter 5?
5. Which of the following is contained in the appendix of Book 1, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "To Music."
2. Describe the elegy about angels.
3. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
4. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
5. What is "Faces" about?
6. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
7. What is the message behind "For the Sake of a Single Poem"?
8. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
9. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
10. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message of "For the Sake of a Single Poem"? What literary devices are used in the poem, and what effect do they have?
Essay Topic 2
How does Rilke use allusion in his poems? Why do you think he does this? How does Rilke mix allusion with creativity? Is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone, message, and literary devices used in the poem "Requiem Friend." How do these elements work together to create a dramatic and emotionally-charged poem?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)