|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts is "Uncollected Poems" divided into?
2. How is "To Music" written?
3. In poems I-8 and I-25, which themes are united?
4. Which of the following best describes the "diaphonous girl"?
5. What does the layout of the page show the reader about modern poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
2. What is "Faces" about?
3. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
4. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
5. What is "The Bird Feeders" about?
6. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
7. How does Rilke create a dramatic tone in his sonnets?
8. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
9. Describe the elegy about angels.
10. What allusions does Rilke use in his poems, especially in the poem "Ariel"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does religion influence Rilke? Is it positive or negative as an influence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Orpheus is so important to Rilke? How do you know that Orpheus is so important to Rilke? What literary devices are used in Rilke's references to Orpheus? What does the importance of Orpheus to Rilke say about poet?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the organization of the poems? How are they organized and why? Does this contribute to the quality of the reading or the message of the poems?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)