|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the elegy, Rilke wonders if an angel will hear _______.
2. Which of the following is contained in the appendix of Book 1, Chapter 7?
3. The "diaphonous girl" appears to be a part of __________.
4. When Orpheus is called in one of the sonnets, who gathers to listen in silence?
5. Which of the following is a line from the poem "To Holderlin"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
2. Describe "To Music."
3. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
4. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
5. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
6. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
7. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
8. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
9. Describe the "diaphaonous girl."
10. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between poem and prose? How does Rilke use both? Which is a better technique for Rilke, in your opinion, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
Essay Topic 3
What does the "diaphonous girl" represent to Rilke? What part of Rilke does it symbolize? Why does he write about her? What role does she play in Rilke's poems?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)