|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "To Holderlin," which of the following is referenced in the first stanza?
2. In the case of those poems with no titles, what is used as a reference?
3. Book 1, Chapter 7 is dedicated to _________.
4. According to Rilke, what does Orpheus invigorate?
5. How many elegies are contained in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "To Holderlin."
2. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
3. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
4. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
5. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
6. How does Rilke give in to tradition while writing, as exemplified in his elegies?
7. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
8. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
9. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
10. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message of "For the Sake of a Single Poem"? What literary devices are used in the poem, and what effect do they have?
Essay Topic 2
Of the poems in the book, which is your favorite? Why? What literary devices set the tone for that poem? Why is this pleasing?
Essay Topic 3
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)