|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is "To Music" written?
2. What is the longest poem in Book 1, Chapter 5?
3. What is similar about each elegy in Book 1, Chapter 7?
4. In the third poem in "Sonnet to Orpheus," who are the three basic characters?
5. What is markedly distinct about "To Music"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rilke give in to tradition while writing, as exemplified in his elegies?
2. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
3. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
4. What allusions does Rilke use in his poems, especially in the poem "Ariel"?
5. Describe the elegy about angels.
6. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
7. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
8. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
9. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
10. How does Rilke create a dramatic tone in his sonnets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What emotive language does Rilke use? What are other examples of emotive language that you might find in daily life? What is Rilke's most emotive poem? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does personfiication play in Rilke's work? Which poem is most effective in personification and why? What effect does personification have on the reader? Why do writers personify objects?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the organization of the poems? How are they organized and why? Does this contribute to the quality of the reading or the message of the poems?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)