|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In I-25, how does Rilke refer to a female character?
2. How many poems are in Book 1, Chapter 6?
3. In "To Holderlin", which pair of words describes the two distinct times in life?
4. According to Rilke's poem, how did the prodigal son grow up?
5. In "To Holderlin," which of the following is referenced in the first stanza?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
2. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
3. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
4. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
5. What is "The Bird Feeders" about?
6. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
7. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
8. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
9. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
10. What is the message behind "For the Sake of a Single Poem"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of rhyme scheme in a poem? What effect does translation have on rhyming in this book of poems? What is your opinion of the rhyming pattern of the poems?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe Rilke's poetic skills? Are there other poets or authors you would compare him to? Why or why not? Is there a poet or author that he is extremely different from?
Essay Topic 3
What themes and symbols seem to be significant in each of Rilke's poems? How do they set the tone for the poems?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)