|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is contained in the appendix of Book 1, Chapter 7?
2. In what year was Book 1, Chapter 5 written?
3. According to Rilke, Orpheus continues to live on in ___________.
4. What does Rilke disregard in writing his elegies?
5. In the elegy, Rilke wonders if an angel will hear _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
2. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
3. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
4. Describe the elegy about angels.
5. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
6. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
7. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
8. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
9. Describe the "diaphaonous girl."
10. How does Rilke give in to tradition while writing, as exemplified in his elegies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does religion influence Rilke? Is it positive or negative as an influence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is an elegy? Why do poets write elegies? What are the most common themes and subjects of Rilke's elegies? Why do you think this is so?
Essay Topic 3
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)