|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the layout of the page show the reader about modern poetry?
2. In the poem about faces, what do vast numbers of things appear to be?
3. In which instrument does Rilke believe Orpheus is perceivable?
4. In Rilke's poem, who did the prodigal son feel bound by?
5. How is "To Music" written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
2. How does Rilke create a dramatic tone in his sonnets?
3. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
4. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
5. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
6. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
7. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
8. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
9. Describe "To Music."
10. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rilke honor the ancient Greeks? Do you think that this is his intention? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is Rilke's voice? How does he achieve this voice using literary devices and subjects? Describe the voice in one of Rilke's poems and how he achieves it specifically.
Essay Topic 3
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)