|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rilke's poem, what type of activity is feeding birds?
2. Who is the poem "Ariel" named after?
3. The poems in Book 1, Chapter 7 are listed as being written during ____________.
4. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Rilke intentionally use to describe a short scene from real life?
5. Which of the following feelings is not experienced by the poet in the first elegy of Book 1, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "To Holderlin."
2. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
3. What is the message behind "For the Sake of a Single Poem"?
4. What is "The Bird Feeders" about?
5. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
6. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
7. What allusions does Rilke use in his poems, especially in the poem "Ariel"?
8. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
9. Describe "To Music."
10. Describe the "diaphaonous girl."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Rilke's voice? How does he achieve this voice using literary devices and subjects? Describe the voice in one of Rilke's poems and how he achieves it specifically.
Essay Topic 2
How does Rilke use allusion in his poems? Why do you think he does this? How does Rilke mix allusion with creativity? Is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)