|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the poems in Book 1, Chapter 5 written?
2. What marks each section of poems in "Uncollected Poems"?
3. Which of the following best describes the "diaphonous girl"?
4. Book 1, Chapter 7 is dedicated to _________.
5. In "The Bird Feeders," the poet emphasizes the value of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
2. Describe "To Holderlin."
3. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
4. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
5. How does Rilke create a dramatic tone in his sonnets?
6. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
7. Describe the "diaphaonous girl."
8. What allusions does Rilke use in his poems, especially in the poem "Ariel"?
9. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
10. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What emotive language does Rilke use? What are other examples of emotive language that you might find in daily life? What is Rilke's most emotive poem? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Of the poems in the book, which is your favorite? Why? What literary devices set the tone for that poem? Why is this pleasing?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Orpheus is so important to Rilke? How do you know that Orpheus is so important to Rilke? What literary devices are used in Rilke's references to Orpheus? What does the importance of Orpheus to Rilke say about poet?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)