|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many poems are in Book 1, Chapter 6?
2. Which of the following is the title of a poem in "Uncollected Poems"?
3. When Orpheus is called in one of the sonnets, who gathers to listen in silence?
4. How are the poems in Book 1, Chapter 5 written?
5. Which of the following is lacking in Rilke's elegies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Faces" about?
2. Describe the elegy about angels.
3. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
4. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
5. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
6. Describe "To Music."
7. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
8. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
9. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
10. Describe the "diaphaonous girl."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message of "For the Sake of a Single Poem"? What literary devices are used in the poem, and what effect do they have?
Essay Topic 2
How does Rilke use allusion in his poems? Why do you think he does this? How does Rilke mix allusion with creativity? Is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the "diaphonous girl" represent to Rilke? What part of Rilke does it symbolize? Why does he write about her? What role does she play in Rilke's poems?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)