|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke refer to at the end of sonnet II-8?
2. In "To Holderlin", which pair of words describes the two distinct times in life?
3. In what years were the "Uncollected Poems" written?
4. In Rilke's poem, what do bird feeders represent?
5. In one paragraph in the poem about faces, what has a woman fallen into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
2. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
3. What is "Faces" about?
4. How does Rilke give in to tradition while writing, as exemplified in his elegies?
5. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
6. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
7. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
8. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
9. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
10. What is "The Bird Feeders" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What emotive language does Rilke use? What are other examples of emotive language that you might find in daily life? What is Rilke's most emotive poem? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of rhyme scheme in a poem? What effect does translation have on rhyming in this book of poems? What is your opinion of the rhyming pattern of the poems?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message of "For the Sake of a Single Poem"? What literary devices are used in the poem, and what effect do they have?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)