|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rilke, Orpheus continues to live on in ___________.
2. In what year were the poems in "Sonnets to Orpheus" written?
3. In Rilke's poem, what type of activity is feeding birds?
4. How many elegies are contained in Chapter 7?
5. In the elegy, Rilke wonders if an angel will hear _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "diaphaonous girl."
2. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
3. Describe the elegy about angels.
4. How does Rilke create a dramatic tone in his sonnets?
5. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
6. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
7. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
8. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
9. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
10. What allusions does Rilke use in his poems, especially in the poem "Ariel"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Orpheus is so important to Rilke? How do you know that Orpheus is so important to Rilke? What literary devices are used in Rilke's references to Orpheus? What does the importance of Orpheus to Rilke say about poet?
Essay Topic 2
What emotive language does Rilke use? What are other examples of emotive language that you might find in daily life? What is Rilke's most emotive poem? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)