|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem about faces, what do vast numbers of things appear to be?
2. The "diaphonous girl" appears to be a part of __________.
3. Which of the following is contained in the appendix of Book 1, Chapter 7?
4. Which of the following feelings is not experienced by the poet in the first elegy of Book 1, Chapter 7?
5. In Rilke's poem, what type of activity is feeding birds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
2. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
3. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
4. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
5. What is "The Bird Feeders" about?
6. How does Rilke create a dramatic tone in his sonnets?
7. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
8. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
9. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
10. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rilke honor the ancient Greeks? Do you think that this is his intention? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is an elegy? Why do poets write elegies? What are the most common themes and subjects of Rilke's elegies? Why do you think this is so?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between poem and prose? How does Rilke use both? Which is a better technique for Rilke, in your opinion, and why?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)