|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year were the poems in "Sonnets to Orpheus" written?
2. What does the layout of the page show the reader about modern poetry?
3. How is "To Music" written?
4. According to Rilke's suggestion, which of the following should be used to remember Orpheus?
5. What is the longest poem in Book 1, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
2. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
3. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
4. What is "Faces" about?
5. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
6. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
7. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
8. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
9. What is the message behind "For the Sake of a Single Poem"?
10. What allusions does Rilke use in his poems, especially in the poem "Ariel"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of the poems in the book, which is your favorite? Why? What literary devices set the tone for that poem? Why is this pleasing?
Essay Topic 2
What themes and symbols seem to be significant in each of Rilke's poems? How do they set the tone for the poems?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rilke use tone to convey a message? What literary techniques does he use to contribute to tone and message?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)