|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rilke, what does Orpheus invigorate?
2. What type of fears are addressed in the poem "Fears"?
3. The "diaphonous girl" appears to be a part of __________.
4. What is the longest poem in Book 1, Chapter 5?
5. In what years were the "Uncollected Poems" written?
Essay Topic 1
How does Rilke use allusion in his poems? Why do you think he does this? How does Rilke mix allusion with creativity? Is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone, message, and literary devices used in the poem "Requiem Friend." How do these elements work together to create a dramatic and emotionally-charged poem?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)