|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In poems I-8 and I-25, which themes are united?
2. What is sonnet II-4 about?
3. In "Ariel" which stanza is the longest?
4. In Rilke's poem, what do bird feeders represent?
5. How many poems are in Book 1, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe Rilke's poetic skills? Are there other poets or authors you would compare him to? Why or why not? Is there a poet or author that he is extremely different from?
Essay Topic 2
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
Essay Topic 3
How does Rilke honor the ancient Greeks? Do you think that this is his intention? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)