|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke refer to at the end of sonnet II-8?
2. According to Rilke's poem, how did the prodigal son grow up?
3. In the third poem in "Sonnet to Orpheus," who are the three basic characters?
4. When Orpheus is called in one of the sonnets, who gathers to listen in silence?
5. What does the layout of the page show the reader about modern poetry?
Essay Topic 1
What emotive language does Rilke use? What are other examples of emotive language that you might find in daily life? What is Rilke's most emotive poem? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Rilke honor the ancient Greeks? Do you think that this is his intention? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message of "For the Sake of a Single Poem"? What literary devices are used in the poem, and what effect do they have?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)