|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is most unique to Rilke?
2. The "diaphonous girl" appears to be a part of __________.
3. In the poem about faces, what do vast numbers of things appear to be?
4. In "The Bird Feeders," the poet emphasizes the value of __________.
5. According to Rilke's suggestion, which of the following should be used to remember Orpheus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe Rilke's poetic skills? Are there other poets or authors you would compare him to? Why or why not? Is there a poet or author that he is extremely different from?
Essay Topic 2
What themes and symbols seem to be significant in each of Rilke's poems? How do they set the tone for the poems?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rilke use allusion in his poems? Why do you think he does this? How does Rilke mix allusion with creativity? Is it effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)