|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the third poem in "Sonnet to Orpheus," who are the three basic characters?
2. In which instrument does Rilke believe Orpheus is perceivable?
3. In the elegy, Rilke wonders if an angel will hear _______.
4. What does Rilke refer to as "pampered favorites"?
5. Who is the poem "Ariel" named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
2. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
3. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
4. Describe the elegy about angels.
5. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
6. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
7. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
8. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
9. What is "The Bird Feeders" about?
10. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does personfiication play in Rilke's work? Which poem is most effective in personification and why? What effect does personification have on the reader? Why do writers personify objects?
Essay Topic 2
What does the "diaphonous girl" represent to Rilke? What part of Rilke does it symbolize? Why does he write about her? What role does she play in Rilke's poems?
Essay Topic 3
What is Rilke's voice? How does he achieve this voice using literary devices and subjects? Describe the voice in one of Rilke's poems and how he achieves it specifically.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)