|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rilke describing with the following line: "Praising is what matters! He was summoned for that"?
2. What is the name of the poem following "Ibsen"?
3. What is the name of the poem that suggests that even going back to ancient times, there was hustle and bustle?
4. What is the longest poem in Book 1, Chapter 5?
5. In Rilke's poem, what type of activity is feeding birds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
2. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
3. Describe "To Holderlin."
4. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
5. What allusions does Rilke use in his poems, especially in the poem "Ariel"?
6. Describe the elegy about angels.
7. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
8. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
9. What is "Faces" about?
10. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe Rilke's poetic skills? Are there other poets or authors you would compare him to? Why or why not? Is there a poet or author that he is extremely different from?
Essay Topic 2
How does Rilke use allusion in his poems? Why do you think he does this? How does Rilke mix allusion with creativity? Is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone, message, and literary devices used in the poem "Requiem Friend." How do these elements work together to create a dramatic and emotionally-charged poem?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)