|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet become frustrated by in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
2. Who was the Greek mistress of the elegiac verse form?
3. What is "For the Sake of a Single Poem" about?
4. What is markedly distinct about "To Music"?
5. Who is Rilke describing with the following line: "Praising is what matters! He was summoned for that"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Faces" about?
2. What is "The Prodigal Son" about?
3. Describe "To Music."
4. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
5. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
6. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
7. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
8. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
9. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
10. Describe "To Holderlin."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rilke use tone to convey a message? What literary techniques does he use to contribute to tone and message?
Essay Topic 2
What themes and symbols seem to be significant in each of Rilke's poems? How do they set the tone for the poems?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between poem and prose? How does Rilke use both? Which is a better technique for Rilke, in your opinion, and why?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)