|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rilke, what does Orpheus invigorate?
2. In "Ariel" which stanza is the longest?
3. What is "For the Sake of a Single Poem" about?
4. What is similar about each elegy in Book 1, Chapter 7?
5. Each elegy is named with ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
2. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
3. What is "Faces" about?
4. Describe "To Holderlin."
5. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
6. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
7. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
8. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
9. Describe the "diaphaonous girl."
10. Why do you think that only some poems have titles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Rilke's voice? How does he achieve this voice using literary devices and subjects? Describe the voice in one of Rilke's poems and how he achieves it specifically.
Essay Topic 2
How does Rilke honor the ancient Greeks? Do you think that this is his intention? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance behind the organization of the poems? How are they organized and why? Does this contribute to the quality of the reading or the message of the poems?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)