|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first elegy, what happens to the images as the poem continues?
2. Which of the following feelings is not experienced by the poet in the first elegy of Book 1, Chapter 7?
3. Which of the following is contained in the appendix of Book 1, Chapter 7?
4. In the poem where the narrator is lying in bed, which item describes the narrator's day?
5. Each elegy is named with ___________________.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the panther, gazelle, and swan poems to each other. What are the differences in message, literary devices, and rhyming techniques? Why are these devices important to the poems? What do they say about Rilke?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between poem and prose? How does Rilke use both? Which is a better technique for Rilke, in your opinion, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message of "For the Sake of a Single Poem"? What literary devices are used in the poem, and what effect do they have?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)