|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year were the poems in "Sonnets to Orpheus" written?
2. How many parts is "Uncollected Poems" divided into?
3. The poems in Book 1, Chapter 7 are listed as being written during ____________.
4. How many elegies are contained in Chapter 7?
5. What is sonnet II-4 about?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance behind the organization of the poems? How are they organized and why? Does this contribute to the quality of the reading or the message of the poems?
Essay Topic 2
Of the poems in the book, which is your favorite? Why? What literary devices set the tone for that poem? Why is this pleasing?
Essay Topic 3
What are the consequences of translating Rilke's poems from German to English? What is lost in translation? Is anything gained? Why or why not? Give one specific example.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)