|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
2. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 3?
3. Which family member does Rilke dedicate a poem to?
4. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. In the poem about the abnormal women, which stanza is the longest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the panther portrayed in the poem in which it is the subject?
2. Why is it significant for Rilke to write about the sun in "Archaic Torso of Apollo"?
3. What is the significance of the diction in "Buddha in Glory"?
4. Choose one poem from Book 1, Chapter 2 and dissect the meaning.
5. How does the tone change in "I am the Anxious One"?
6. What does the swan represent in Rilke's poem in which it is the subject?
7. What is the tone of "Requiem for a Friend"?
8. What is the significance of the name Creon as it is used in "Alcestis"?
9. What is the classical theme that Rilke presents in both "Alcestis" and "Archaic Torso of Apollo"?
10. What is the significance of the title "Requiem for a Friend"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe Rilke's poetic skills? Are there other poets or authors you would compare him to? Why or why not? Is there a poet or author that he is extremely different from?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between poem and prose? How does Rilke use both? Which is a better technique for Rilke, in your opinion, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rilke honor the ancient Greeks? Do you think that this is his intention? Why or why not?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)