|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the ancient women that Rilke describes called?
2. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
3. Which animal's motions are most notable through Rilke's poems?
4. In the poem "I am the Anxious One," which stanza is the longest?
5. In "Requiem for a Friend," what moves the narrative character to travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rilke proclaim in "I am the Anxious One"?
2. What does the swan represent in Rilke's poem in which it is the subject?
3. How does Rilke describe death in "Requiem for a Friend"?
4. Describe the mythical and legendary women that Rilke describes in Book 1, Chapter 2.
5. How does the tone change in "I am the Anxious One"?
6. How is the panther portrayed in the poem in which it is the subject?
7. What does Rilke seem to think about the abnormal women he dedicates a poem to in Book 1, Chapter 3?
8. What is the tone of "Requiem for a Friend"?
9. What does the narrator of "Requiem for a Friend" admire about Paula?
10. How does the author show genuine emotion in poetry, especially in Book 1, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of the poems in the book, which is your favorite? Why? What literary devices set the tone for that poem? Why is this pleasing?
Essay Topic 2
How does religion influence Rilke? Is it positive or negative as an influence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How would you describe Rilke's poetic skills? Are there other poets or authors you would compare him to? Why or why not? Is there a poet or author that he is extremely different from?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)