|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animal is described as being a restless captive?
2. What are the ancient women that Rilke describes called?
3. Which of the following describes the ancient women?
4. Where was Rilke from?
5. What name is used in Rilke's poetry that has been passed down through Greek tragedies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the classical theme that Rilke presents in both "Alcestis" and "Archaic Torso of Apollo"?
2. Describe the mythical and legendary women that Rilke describes in Book 1, Chapter 2.
3. What is the message found in "I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all"?
4. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem in which it is the subject?
5. Describe the rhyming scheme of the poem in which the gazelle is the subject.
6. What does Rilke proclaim in "I am the Anxious One"?
7. How does Rilke honor ancient Greeks?
8. What does the narrator of "Requiem for a Friend" admire about Paula?
9. How does the author show genuine emotion in poetry, especially in Book 1, Chapter 5?
10. Why is the "City of Time" a complex translation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of rhyme scheme in a poem? What effect does translation have on rhyming in this book of poems? What is your opinion of the rhyming pattern of the poems?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tone, message, and literary devices used in the poem "Requiem Friend." How do these elements work together to create a dramatic and emotionally-charged poem?
Essay Topic 3
What is Rilke's voice? How does he achieve this voice using literary devices and subjects? Describe the voice in one of Rilke's poems and how he achieves it specifically.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)