|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the poet, what is the main concern of the living?
2. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
3. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
4. In the poem "Archaic Torso of Apollo," the poet is most similar to __________.
5. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the "City of Time" a complex translation?
2. Describe Rainer Marie Rilke's background.
3. How does Rilke honor ancient Greeks?
4. What are the consequences of translating German to English?
5. What does Rilke seem to think about the abnormal women he dedicates a poem to in Book 1, Chapter 3?
6. Describe the rhyming scheme of the poem in which the gazelle is the subject.
7. How does Rilke describe death in "Requiem for a Friend"?
8. What is the significance of the women standing in their doorways in "Requiem for a Friend"?
9. What is the significance of the name Creon as it is used in "Alcestis"?
10. Describe the poem about Rilke's father in Book 1, Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Orpheus is so important to Rilke? How do you know that Orpheus is so important to Rilke? What literary devices are used in Rilke's references to Orpheus? What does the importance of Orpheus to Rilke say about poet?
Essay Topic 2
What is Rilke's voice? How does he achieve this voice using literary devices and subjects? Describe the voice in one of Rilke's poems and how he achieves it specifically.
Essay Topic 3
What emotive language does Rilke use? What are other examples of emotive language that you might find in daily life? What is Rilke's most emotive poem? Why?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)