|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts is "Uncollected Poems" divided into?
2. In the case of those poems with no titles, what is used as a reference?
(a) The subject.
(b) The narrator's name.
(c) The first line.
(d) The last line.
3. What does Rilke refer to at the end of sonnet II-8?
(a) The unreality of the situation.
(b) The recent war.
(c) The hopes he has for children.
(d) The hungry and poor people in the streets.
4. Which of the following feelings is not experienced by the poet in the first elegy of Book 1, Chapter 7?
5. How many elegies are contained in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year were the poems in "Sonnets to Orpheus" written?
2. What is "For the Sake of a Single Poem" about?
3. What is the tone of the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
4. What does the layout of the page show the reader about modern poetry?
5. Who is the poem "Ariel" named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
2. What is the difference between a poem and prose?
3. What is "Faces" about?
4. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
5. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
6. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
7. Which elegy is the most emotional and why?
8. What does Rilke mean when he refers to "pampered favorites"?
9. Describe the subject of the poem "Ariel."
10. What types of fears does Rilke speak to in "Fears"?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)