|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following feelings is not experienced by the poet in the first elegy of Book 1, Chapter 7?
2. How many parts is "Uncollected Poems" divided into?
3. Who is the poem "Ariel" named after?
(a) A Disney character.
(b) A character in a play.
(c) Rilke's daughter.
(d) Rilke's mother.
4. Which of the following does Rilke use in his elegies to move readers?
(d) Emotive language.
5. What topic does the first elegy introduce?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which poem is there an allusion to "The Tempest"?
2. The "diaphonous girl" appears to be a part of __________.
3. What is the subject of sonnet II-8?
4. In what year were the poems in "Sonnets to Orpheus" written?
5. How many elegies are contained in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rilke mean by "Every angel is terrifying"?
2. Describe the "diaphaonous girl."
3. Describe "To Holderlin."
4. How does Rilke give in to tradition while writing, as exemplified in his elegies?
5. What frustrations does Rilke mention in his sonnets?
6. How did the editors connect praise and grief when putting together Rilke's sonnets?
7. What is the distinction between a poem and an elegy?
8. Describe Orpheus as Rilke describes him in his sonnets.
9. What does the format of the lines say about Rilke and his poetry in Book 1, Chapter 6?
10. Who does the invisible 'you' reference in the first poem in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)