|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of "Requiem for a Friend"?
2. What follows from "I have my dead"?
(a) And I keep them close.
(b) And I let them live.
(c) And I have let them go.
(d) And I want to die.
3. What line follows from "And so you died, as women used to die"?
(a) Can you still hear me in death?
(b) At home, in your own warm bedroom.
(c) In the streets, like an animal.
(d) During labor, the lament we omitted.
4. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
5. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
(b) Grecian region.
(d) American culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poem has the following line: "Then all at once the messenger is there"?
2. What became of Bohemia?
3. Which family member does Rilke dedicate a poem to?
4. What are the ancient women that Rilke describes called?
5. Which of the following scenarios does Rilke use to describe pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem in which it is the subject?
2. How is the panther portrayed in the poem in which it is the subject?
3. What does the swan represent in Rilke's poem in which it is the subject?
4. What is the tone of the poem, "Archaic Torso of Apollo"?
5. What does Rilke seem to think about the abnormal women he dedicates a poem to in Book 1, Chapter 3?
6. Why is the "City of Time" a complex translation?
7. How does Rilke describe death in "Requiem for a Friend"?
8. How does Rilke honor ancient Greeks?
9. Why is it significant for Rilke to write about the sun in "Archaic Torso of Apollo"?
10. What is the significance of the diction in "Buddha in Glory"?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)