|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrative character speaks to women in the streets, where do they speak from?
2. Where does "I am the Anxious One" end?
(a) City of Weeps.
(b) City of Time.
(c) City of Dreams.
(d) City of Rain.
3. What is the new element introduced in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) Figurative language.
(b) Paragraph indentations.
(d) Capital letters.
4. Which word best describes Rilke in the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One'?
(a) A builder.
(b) A complainer.
(c) A lover.
(d) A dreamer.
5. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Space and stars.
(b) Roofs and floors.
(c) Various religious figures.
(d) Sea animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of "Requiem for a Friend"?
2. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
3. Which poem most portrays the power of classical theme in poetry?
4. Which of the following best describes the rhyme scheme of the gazelle poem?
5. What did the women in Rilke's poem about ancient women overcome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important to know background information about Rainer Marie Rilke before reading the poems?
2. Describe the rhyming scheme of the poem in which the gazelle is the subject.
3. How does the tone change in "I am the Anxious One"?
4. Describe the differences between the poems in Book 1, Chapter 2 and the poems in Book 1, Chapter 1.
5. What is the significance of the diction in "Buddha in Glory"?
6. What does Rilke seem to think about the abnormal women he dedicates a poem to in Book 1, Chapter 3?
7. How does the author show genuine emotion in poetry, especially in Book 1, Chapter 5?
8. What is the tone of "Requiem for a Friend"?
9. Why is it significant for Rilke to write about the sun in "Archaic Torso of Apollo"?
10. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem in which it is the subject?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)