|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Rilke from?
2. In the poem about the gazelle, which of the following is included?
(a) A couplet.
(b) An epithet.
(c) An elegy.
(d) A sonnet.
3. What line follows from "And so you died, as women used to die"?
(a) At home, in your own warm bedroom.
(b) During labor, the lament we omitted.
(c) Can you still hear me in death?
(d) In the streets, like an animal.
4. What are the ancient women that Rilke describes called?
5. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
(a) Greek religious leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the poet, what is the main concern of the living?
2. What follows from "I have my dead"?
3. What does the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One" focus on?
4. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
5. Which animal is described as being able to escape a more powerful animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title "Requiem for a Friend"?
2. How does Rilke honor ancient Greeks?
3. What is the significance of the diction in "Buddha in Glory"?
4. How is the panther portrayed in the poem in which it is the subject?
5. Why is it important to know background information about Rainer Marie Rilke before reading the poems?
6. Describe Rainer Marie Rilke's background.
7. What is the significance of the name Creon as it is used in "Alcestis"?
8. What is the tone of the poem, "Archaic Torso of Apollo"?
9. How does the author show genuine emotion in poetry, especially in Book 1, Chapter 5?
10. Choose one poem from Book 1, Chapter 2 and dissect the meaning.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)