|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the "diaphonous girl"?
(a) A symbol of sight.
(b) A symbol of speech.
(c) A symbol of listening.
(d) A symbol of knowledge.
2. Which of the following is contained in the appendix of Book 1, Chapter 7?
(a) Enitrely new poems.
(b) Original drafts.
(c) A glossary and a map.
(d) An index of themes in the elegies.
3. Who is the poem "Ariel" named after?
(a) A character in a play.
(b) A Disney character.
(c) Rilke's mother.
(d) Rilke's daughter.
4. How many elegies are contained in Chapter 7?
5. In one paragraph in the poem about faces, what has a woman fallen into?
(a) An ocean.
(b) A dark hole.
(d) A well.
6. How many poems are in Book 1, Chapter 6?
7. In the poem about faces, what do vast numbers of things appear to be?
8. In the case of those poems with no titles, what is used as a reference?
(a) The narrator's name.
(b) The first line.
(c) The subject.
(d) The last line.
9. What marks each section of poems in "Uncollected Poems"?
(a) Roman numerals.
10. What does the poet become frustrated by in "Sonnets to Orpheus"?
(a) His conscience.
(b) His inability to be an animal.
(c) The limits of being a human.
(d) HIs lack of love.
11. The poems in Book 1, Chapter 7 are listed as being written during ____________.
(a) 1900 and 1908.
(b) 1912 and 1922.
(c) 1910 and 1922.
(d) 1911 and 1915.
12. What does Rilke refer to at the end of sonnet II-8?
(a) The hungry and poor people in the streets.
(b) The unreality of the situation.
(c) The hopes he has for children.
(d) The recent war.
13. What does the layout of the page show the reader about modern poetry?
(a) Modern poets don't care about organization.
(b) Modern poets think about the printed layout of their work.
(c) Modern poets are conceited.
(d) Modern poets put more emphasis on looks than intelligence.
14. How does Rilke make up for writing in generalized poetic form?
(a) He varies line length.
(b) He introuces new characters randomly.
(c) He creates dynamic settings.
(d) He varies the tone from line to line.
15. What is the name of the poem that suggests that even going back to ancient times, there was hustle and bustle?
(a) "To Holderlin."
(b) "To Music."
(c) "Straining so hard...."
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does the first elegy introduce?
2. In the elegy, Rilke wonders if an angel will hear _______.
3. Which of the following is a line from the poem "To Holderlin"?
4. How are the poems in Book 1, Chapter 5 written?
5. According to Rilke, Orpheus continues to live on in ___________.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)