|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what years were the "Uncollected Poems" written?
2. In I-25, how does Rilke refer to a female character?
(a) Dear girl.
(b) Content girl.
(c) Frivolous girl.
(d) Angry girl.
3. How are the poems in "Sonnets to Orpheus" (Book 1, Chapter 8) named?
(a) Key words.
(b) Combinations of numbers.
(c) Themes in the poem.
(d) Roman numerals.
4. According to Rilke, Orpheus continues to live on in ___________.
5. Which of the following is contained in the appendix of Book 1, Chapter 7?
(a) Original drafts.
(b) An index of themes in the elegies.
(c) Enitrely new poems.
(d) A glossary and a map.
6. What marks each section of poems in "Uncollected Poems"?
(b) Roman numerals.
7. Who is the poem "Ariel" named after?
(a) Rilke's daughter.
(b) Rilke's mother.
(c) A Disney character.
(d) A character in a play.
8. What does Rilke disregard in writing his elegies?
(b) Regard for syntax and sentence structure.
(c) Poetic license.
9. In which poem is there an allusion to "The Tempest"?
(b) "To Holderlin."
(c) "To Music."
(d) "Straining So Hard..."
10. In Rilke's poem, what type of activity is feeding birds?
11. In the elegy, Rilke wonders if an angel will hear _______.
12. In the poem in which the narrator is lying in bed, how many flights above ground is he or she?
13. Which of the following does Rilke use in his elegies to move readers?
(a) Emotive language.
14. The "diaphonous girl" appears to be a part of __________.
(a) Rilke's father.
(b) Rilke's lover.
(d) Rilke's best friend who died.
15. What is the subject of sonnet II-8?
(a) Orpheus and the lyre.
(c) Childhood playmates.
(d) Diaphonous girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rilke's suggestion, which of the following should be used to remember Orpheus?
2. According to Rilke, what does Orpheus invigorate?
3. According to Rilke, what do poems written in one's youth lack?
4. What is the poem about faces called?
5. What is similar about each elegy in Book 1, Chapter 7?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)