|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rilke describing with the following line: "Praising is what matters! He was summoned for that"?
2. What is the subject of sonnet II-8?
(a) Diaphonous girl.
(b) Orpheus and the lyre.
(c) Childhood playmates.
3. In the elegy about angels, "Every angel is ______."
4. How many elegies are contained in Chapter 7?
5. Which of the following does Rilke use in his elegies to move readers?
(c) Emotive language.
6. In "Ariel" which stanza is the longest?
7. How are the poems in Book 1, Chapter 5 written?
(a) In song form.
(b) In poem form.
(c) In short story form.
(d) In prose.
8. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Rilke intentionally use to describe a short scene from real life?
9. Who is the poem "Ariel" named after?
(a) A character in a play.
(b) A Disney character.
(c) Rilke's daughter.
(d) Rilke's mother.
10. In "To Holderlin", which pair of words describes the two distinct times in life?
(a) Fame and fortune.
(b) Gratitude and shame.
(c) Anger and happiness.
(d) Joy and trial.
11. How many parts is "Uncollected Poems" divided into?
12. What is the name of the poem following "Ibsen"?
(a) "The Sacraments of a Saint."
(b) "The Temptations of a Saint."
(c) "The Fate of a Saint."
(d) "The Fear of a Saint."
13. What does the layout of the page show the reader about modern poetry?
(a) Modern poets are conceited.
(b) Modern poets think about the printed layout of their work.
(c) Modern poets put more emphasis on looks than intelligence.
(d) Modern poets don't care about organization.
14. Which of the following best describes the "diaphonous girl"?
(a) A symbol of knowledge.
(b) A symbol of listening.
(c) A symbol of speech.
(d) A symbol of sight.
15. What is the longest poem in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(a) "The Prodigal Son."
(c) "The Bird Feeders."
(d) "For the Sake of a Single Poem."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is markedly distinct about "To Music"?
2. What is sonnet II-4 about?
3. In one paragraph in the poem about faces, what has a woman fallen into?
4. What is "For the Sake of a Single Poem" about?
5. Each elegy is named with ___________________.
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)