|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a theme in "I am the Anxious One"?
2. Which of the following best describes the rhyme scheme of the gazelle poem?
(a) Rilke did not intend to rhyme, but he did.
(b) Rilke did not rhyme, but the translator did.
(c) The rhyme scheme was somewhat preserved in translation.
(d) The vocabulary is very tense, so the rhyme is overlooked.
3. When were the poems published in Book 1, Chapter 2 ?
(a) 1907, 1908.
(b) 1900, 1901.
(c) 1910, 1911.
(d) 1905, 1906.
4. What is Apollo the god of in Greek mythology?
(a) Education, summer, and trees.
(b) Sun, healing, and music.
(c) Medicine, anger, winter.
(d) Reading, writing, arithmetic.
5. When was Book 1, Chapter 1 written?
6. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
7. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
(a) A lover.
(b) A god.
(c) A parent.
(d) A dead friend.
8. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(b) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
(c) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
(d) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
9. What language did Rilke speak living in Bohemia?
10. What is the name of the last poem in Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) "Buddha in Faith."
(b) "Buddha in Glory."
(c) "Heaven in Glory."
(d) "Fame in Glory."
11. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
(b) By subject.
(c) Alphabetical order.
(d) By the location in which they were written.
12. What does the swan symbolize?
13. What is a result of the discrepancy in translation in "I am the Anxious One"?
14. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Various religious figures.
(b) Space and stars.
(c) Roofs and floors.
(d) Sea animals.
15. Why does the narrator admire the dead person in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) The deceased was smart.
(b) The deceased was good at writing.
(c) The deceased was loving.
(d) The deceased was appreciative.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
2. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
3. Which of the following do not describe a poem in Rilke's book?
4. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. What does the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One" focus on?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)