Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
(b) Living man.
2. In the poem "Archaic Torso of Apollo," the poet is most similar to __________.
(a) A lover.
(b) A zookeeper.
(c) A museum visitor.
(d) A mother.
3. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(b) "Black Cat."
(c) "New Poems II."
(d) "Good Poems II."
4. What became of Bohemia?
(a) It was divided up among several different countries.
(b) It became a part of Canada.
(c) It became Czechoslovakia.
(d) It became part of Russia.
5. Which word is associated with the women described in Rilke's poem about the Greek women?
6. What is the annexation of Bohemia compared to in the introduction?
(a) American rule of Native Americans.
(b) British rule of Ireland.
(c) The relationship between America and Canada.
(d) Hitler's reign.
7. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
8. Which family member does Rilke dedicate a poem to?
9. Who might find the introduction before the poems most informative?
(a) Those who do not know about Germany's wars.
(b) Those who do not know about poem format.
(c) Those who do not agree with Rilke's opinions.
(d) Those who do not know about Bohemia or Rilke.
10. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
(b) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
(c) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(d) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
11. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(b) "Black Cat."
(c) "The Flamingos."
12. What is a result of the discrepancy in translation in "I am the Anxious One"?
13. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
(a) The poem about the gazelle.
(b) The poem about the swan.
(c) The poem about ancient women.
(d) The poem about the panther.
14. In which poem is it relevant that religion has changed since Greek mythology?
(a) "Black Cat."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(d) "Schwarze Katze."
15. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
(d) Greek religious leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Rilke in the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One'?
2. Which of the following describes the ancient women?
3. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
4. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)