|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a characteristic of the abnormal women in Rilke's poem?
(d) Beautifully dressed.
2. In which poem is personification most relevant?
(a) "Schwarze Katze."
(c) "The Flamingos."
(d) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
3. In the poem about the abnormal women, which stanza is the longest?
4. What became of Bohemia?
(a) It was divided up among several different countries.
(b) It became a part of Canada.
(c) It became part of Russia.
(d) It became Czechoslovakia.
5. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "The City of Time."
(b) "Anxious One."
(c) "Time Square."
(d) "The Hours."
6. What is the new element introduced in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) Capital letters.
(b) Figurative language.
(d) Paragraph indentations.
7. What is the origin of the poem that mentions Hermes?
(a) Indian Ocean.
(d) Mediterranean Sea.
8. Which of the following is a theme in "I am the Anxious One"?
9. What does the author express in "Requiem for a Friend"?
10. What is the name of the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "I long for the Lord's ability to stay in my life."
(b) "I yearn for desire in each acquaintance."
(c) "I find peace in the world, high and low."
(d) "I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all."
11. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
12. Which of the following describes the ancient women?
13. What is the main difference between the English and German poems?
(a) The translation uses weaker description.
(b) The German poems rhyme better than the translation.
(c) The translation has a different message.
(d) The German poems are completely different and impossible to translate to English.
14. What is the name of Book 1, Chapter 4?
15. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(a) Poem length.
(b) Literary techniques.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
2. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 2?
3. In "Requiem for a Friend," which of the following is left unclear?
4. Which poem has the following line: "Then all at once the messenger is there"?
5. What line follows from "And so you died, as women used to die"?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)