|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
2. What name is used in Rilke's poetry that has been passed down through Greek tragedies?
3. How old is Rilke's family member in the poem that describes them?
(a) Middle-aged adult.
(c) Young adult.
4. Where does "I am the Anxious One" end?
(a) City of Dreams.
(b) City of Time.
(c) City of Weeps.
(d) City of Rain.
5. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "The Hours."
(b) "The City of Time."
(c) "Anxious One."
(d) "Time Square."
6. Which of the following is a characteristic of the abnormal women in Rilke's poem?
(c) Beautifully dressed.
7. What is the origin of the poem that mentions Hermes?
(a) Indian Ocean.
(d) Mediterranean Sea.
8. What is "Requiem for a Friend" about?
(a) Fear when a baby is born.
(b) Love for a best friend.
(c) Fear after somebody has died.
(d) Failure to save somebody.
9. What is the name of the author of Greek tragedies?
(a) Oedipus Rex.
10. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(b) Literary techniques.
(c) Poem length.
11. What is the name of Book 1, Chapter 4?
12. What is the German 'Angstlicher' referring to?
(a) Somebody having a feeling in a way that is a noun.
(b) Somebody who is always anxious.
(c) Somebody who does not understand anxiety.
(d) City of Time.
13. What is the main difference between the English and German poems?
(a) The German poems are completely different and impossible to translate to English.
(b) The translation uses weaker description.
(c) The German poems rhyme better than the translation.
(d) The translation has a different message.
14. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "The Flamingos."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(c) "Black Cat."
15. What does the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One" focus on?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which poem is personification most relevant?
2. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
3. What does the author express in "Requiem for a Friend"?
4. What is the name of the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. What is a result of the discrepancy in translation in "I am the Anxious One"?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)