|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
2. In which poem is personification most relevant?
(a) "The Flamingos."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(d) "Schwarze Katze."
3. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
4. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
(b) By subject.
(c) By the location in which they were written.
(d) Alphabetical order.
5. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
(b) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(c) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
(d) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
6. What is the narrator willing to look in the face in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) Vengeful friends.
(c) A god.
7. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "The City of Time."
(b) "Time Square."
(c) "The Hours."
(d) "Anxious One."
8. What name is used in Rilke's poetry that has been passed down through Greek tragedies?
9. Which word is associated with the women described in Rilke's poem about the Greek women?
10. What follows from "I have my dead"?
(a) And I want to die.
(b) And I keep them close.
(c) And I have let them go.
(d) And I let them live.
11. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
(b) American culture.
(c) Grecian region.
12. In the poem "Archaic Torso of Apollo," the poet is most similar to __________.
(a) A zookeeper.
(b) A museum visitor.
(c) A lover.
(d) A mother.
13. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
14. According to the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1, what can be found in all things in life?
(c) The divine.
15. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Sea animals.
(b) Various religious figures.
(c) Roofs and floors.
(d) Space and stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the annexation of Bohemia compared to in the introduction?
2. What is the German 'Angstlicher' referring to?
3. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
4. Which of the following is a line from "I am the Anxious One"?
5. What type of religion is Bavaria known for?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)