|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author's message in "Requiem for a Friend" is that when something is lost, it is also _________.
2. What is the name of the author of Greek tragedies?
(c) Oedipus Rex.
3. What is the tone of "Requiem for a Friend"?
4. What did the women in Rilke's poem about ancient women overcome?
(a) Raising children.
(b) Restrictive roles.
(c) Bad reputations.
(d) Pressures of education.
5. What friend is the one talked about in "Requiem for a Friend"?
6. How long is Rilke's poem about the abnormal women?
(a) Several pages.
(b) Less than 20 lines.
(c) More than 40 lines.
(d) More than one chapter.
7. What type of religion is Bavaria known for?
8. Which animal's motions are most notable through Rilke's poems?
9. Which family member does Rilke dedicate a poem to?
10. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
(d) Greek religious leaders.
11. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
(a) Grecian region.
(c) American culture.
12. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
13. Which adjective best describes both of the poems about the human condition in Book 1, Chapter 2?
14. In the poem about the gazelle, which of the following is included?
(a) A sonnet.
(b) A couplet.
(c) An elegy.
(d) An epithet.
15. Where does "I am the Anxious One" end?
(a) City of Time.
(b) City of Dreams.
(c) City of Rain.
(d) City of Weeps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Rilke in the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One'?
2. Which of the following is evident in Rilke's poems?
3. What is the new element introduced in "Requiem for a Friend"?
4. Which of the following would be an analogy used in Rilke's poetry for the way religion has changed?
5. Which word is associated with the women described in Rilke's poem about the Greek women?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)