|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name is used in Rilke's poetry that has been passed down through Greek tragedies?
2. In the poem about the gazelle, which of the following is included?
(a) An elegy.
(b) An epithet.
(c) A couplet.
(d) A sonnet.
3. What type of religion is Bavaria known for?
4. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
(b) By subject.
(c) Alphabetical order.
(d) By the location in which they were written.
5. What is the name of the author of Greek tragedies?
(a) Oedipus Rex.
6. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
7. How did the women described in Rilke's poem about the ancient women dress?
(a) Similar to men.
(b) In animal patterns.
(c) In Victorian gowns.
(d) In bathing suits.
8. Which word is associated with the women described in Rilke's poem about the Greek women?
9. In the poem about the abnormal women, which stanza is the longest?
10. What is the narrator willing to look in the face in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(c) A god.
(d) Vengeful friends.
11. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Roofs and floors.
(b) Space and stars.
(c) Various religious figures.
(d) Sea animals.
12. Which of the following is the first poem in Book 1, Chapter 4?
(a) "Discourse of Fruit."
(b) "Poem for Marie."
(c) "Traveling in a Dream."
(d) "Requiem for a Friend."
13. Which of the following would be an analogy used in Rilke's poetry for the way religion has changed?
(a) Getting an education when simpler people are happier.
(b) Owning animals instead of worshipping them.
(c) Changing one's appearance instead of accepting it.
(d) Laying out in the sun as opposed to worshipping it.
14. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "Black Cat."
(b) "The Flamingos."
(c) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
15. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Book 1, Chapter 4?
2. What is the translation of "Black Cat," as shown in the translated version of the poem?
3. What do the poems about animals serve to do most?
4. What follows from "I have my dead"?
5. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 3?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)