|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a line from "I am the Anxious One"?
(a) Don't you love me anymore?
(b) Don't you hear my voice?
(c) Can't you hear the words?
(d) Won't you stay and ease my fears?
2. In the poem "Archaic Torso of Apollo," the poet is most similar to __________.
(a) A museum visitor.
(b) A mother.
(c) A lover.
(d) A zookeeper.
3. According to the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1, what can be found in all things in life?
(d) The divine.
4. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
(a) A lover.
(b) A dead friend.
(c) A god.
(d) A parent.
5. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(c) "The Flamingos."
(d) "Black Cat."
6. In "Requiem for a Friend," what moves the narrative character to travel?
(a) The memory of a beloved pet.
(b) The memory of a friend.
(c) The loss of a parent.
(d) The memory of a lost home.
7. According to the poet, what is the main concern of the living?
8. What type of religion is Bavaria known for?
9. Which of the following do not describe a poem in Rilke's book?
(a) Time of day.
(b) A clown in the park trying to make a living.
(c) Rilke's father before Rilke was born.
(d) A panther in a cage.
10. Which animal's motions are most notable through Rilke's poems?
11. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
(b) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
(c) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(d) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
12. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Sea animals.
(b) Various religious figures.
(c) Roofs and floors.
(d) Space and stars.
13. Which adjective best describes both of the poems about the human condition in Book 1, Chapter 2?
14. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "The City of Time."
(b) "Time Square."
(c) "The Hours."
(d) "Anxious One."
15. What name is used in Rilke's poetry that has been passed down through Greek tragedies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Book 1, Chapter 4?
2. Which of the following is evident in Rilke's poems?
3. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
4. What is "Requiem for a Friend" about?
5. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)