|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a line from "I am the Anxious One"?
(a) Won't you stay and ease my fears?
(b) Don't you love me anymore?
(c) Can't you hear the words?
(d) Don't you hear my voice?
2. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
3. Which word is associated with the women described in Rilke's poem about the Greek women?
4. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
(c) Living man.
5. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "Anxious One."
(b) "Time Square."
(c) "The Hours."
(d) "The City of Time."
6. In which poem is personification most relevant?
(a) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(b) "The Flamingos."
(c) "Schwarze Katze."
7. Which of the following people does Rilke paint a picture of through poetry?
(b) His mother.
(c) His favorite pet.
(d) His country's leader.
8. Which animal is described as being a restless captive?
9. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
10. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(b) Poem length.
(c) Literary techniques.
11. How long is Rilke's poem about the abnormal women?
(a) Several pages.
(b) More than 40 lines.
(c) More than one chapter.
(d) Less than 20 lines.
12. The author's message in "Requiem for a Friend" is that when something is lost, it is also _________.
13. Which poem most portrays the power of classical theme in poetry?
(a) "The Flamingos."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(d) "Black Cat."
14. Which of the following would be an analogy used in Rilke's poetry for the way religion has changed?
(a) Getting an education when simpler people are happier.
(b) Owning animals instead of worshipping them.
(c) Changing one's appearance instead of accepting it.
(d) Laying out in the sun as opposed to worshipping it.
15. In the poem "Archaic Torso of Apollo," the poet is most similar to __________.
(a) A lover.
(b) A mother.
(c) A museum visitor.
(d) A zookeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of religion is Bavaria known for?
2. What is the German 'Angstlicher' referring to?
3. What is the name of the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
4. Why does the narrator admire the dead person in "Requiem for a Friend"?
5. Which of the following is a characteristic of the abnormal women in Rilke's poem?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)