|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Book 1, Chapter 4?
2. What is a result of the discrepancy in translation in "I am the Anxious One"?
3. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
(b) Greek religious leaders.
4. Why does the narrator admire the dead person in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) The deceased was smart.
(b) The deceased was good at writing.
(c) The deceased was loving.
(d) The deceased was appreciative.
5. Which of the following would be an analogy used in Rilke's poetry for the way religion has changed?
(a) Owning animals instead of worshipping them.
(b) Changing one's appearance instead of accepting it.
(c) Laying out in the sun as opposed to worshipping it.
(d) Getting an education when simpler people are happier.
6. What do the poems about animals serve to do most?
(a) Study the movements they make.
(b) Pay homage.
(c) Advertise for a zoo.
(d) Emphasize how captivity is bad for animals.
7. What is the name of the last poem in Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) "Buddha in Glory."
(b) "Heaven in Glory."
(c) "Fame in Glory."
(d) "Buddha in Faith."
8. What is the narrator willing to look in the face in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) A god.
(c) Vengeful friends.
9. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "Anxious One."
(b) "The City of Time."
(c) "The Hours."
(d) "Time Square."
10. Which poem has the following line: "Then all at once the messenger is there"?
(a) "The Flamingos."
(b) "Black Cat."
(c) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
11. What of the following are not themes in Rilke's poems in Book 1, Chapter 2?
12. What is the origin of the poem that mentions Hermes?
(a) Mediterranean Sea.
(d) Indian Ocean.
13. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
(a) A parent.
(b) A lover.
(c) A god.
(d) A dead friend.
14. Which of the following is a theme in "I am the Anxious One"?
15. What is the new element introduced in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(b) Capital letters.
(c) Paragraph indentations.
(d) Figurative language.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
2. Which of the following do not describe a poem in Rilke's book?
3. Which adjective best describes both of the poems about the human condition in Book 1, Chapter 2?
4. Which animal is described as being able to escape a more powerful animal?
5. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)