|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
(a) Alphabetical order.
(b) By subject.
(c) By the location in which they were written.
2. What of the following are not themes in Rilke's poems in Book 1, Chapter 2?
3. How old is Rilke's family member in the poem that describes them?
(c) Young adult.
(d) Middle-aged adult.
4. What do the poems about animals serve to do most?
(a) Advertise for a zoo.
(b) Study the movements they make.
(c) Emphasize how captivity is bad for animals.
(d) Pay homage.
5. What is "Requiem for a Friend" about?
(a) Love for a best friend.
(b) Failure to save somebody.
(c) Fear when a baby is born.
(d) Fear after somebody has died.
6. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Space and stars.
(b) Roofs and floors.
(c) Sea animals.
(d) Various religious figures.
7. In the poem about the gazelle, which of the following is included?
(a) An epithet.
(b) A couplet.
(c) A sonnet.
(d) An elegy.
8. Which poem has the following line: "Then all at once the messenger is there"?
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(c) "Black Cat."
(d) "The Flamingos."
9. What is a result of the discrepancy in translation in "I am the Anxious One"?
10. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "Black Cat."
(c) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(d) "The Flamingos."
11. What is Apollo the god of in Greek mythology?
(a) Reading, writing, arithmetic.
(b) Sun, healing, and music.
(c) Education, summer, and trees.
(d) Medicine, anger, winter.
12. What name is used in Rilke's poetry that has been passed down through Greek tragedies?
13. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
(d) Living man.
14. Which of the following would be an analogy used in Rilke's poetry for the way religion has changed?
(a) Changing one's appearance instead of accepting it.
(b) Getting an education when simpler people are happier.
(c) Laying out in the sun as opposed to worshipping it.
(d) Owning animals instead of worshipping them.
15. Where was Rilke from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animal is described as being a restless captive?
2. Which of the following is the first poem in Book 1, Chapter 4?
3. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
4. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
5. Which of the following people does Rilke paint a picture of through poetry?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)