|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a line from "I am the Anxious One"?
(a) Can't you hear the words?
(b) Don't you hear my voice?
(c) Won't you stay and ease my fears?
(d) Don't you love me anymore?
2. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
3. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
(a) By the location in which they were written.
(b) Alphabetical order.
(c) By subject.
4. Where does "I am the Anxious One" end?
(a) City of Rain.
(b) City of Dreams.
(c) City of Weeps.
(d) City of Time.
5. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
6. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(a) Literary techniques.
(c) Poem length.
7. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(b) "Black Cat."
(c) "The Flamingos."
8. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
(b) Living man.
9. Which of the following would be an analogy used in Rilke's poetry for the way religion has changed?
(a) Getting an education when simpler people are happier.
(b) Laying out in the sun as opposed to worshipping it.
(c) Changing one's appearance instead of accepting it.
(d) Owning animals instead of worshipping them.
10. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Various religious figures.
(b) Sea animals.
(c) Space and stars.
(d) Roofs and floors.
11. When was Book 1, Chapter 1 written?
12. The author's message in "Requiem for a Friend" is that when something is lost, it is also _________.
13. Which of the following scenarios does Rilke use to describe pain?
(a) The gazelle is graceful but must always run from predators.
(b) The panther is trapped, unable to exert his power.
(c) The swan can never find a real home.
(d) The pigeon is unable to find a nest.
14. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
15. What are the ancient women that Rilke describes called?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the women described in Rilke's poem about the ancient women dress?
2. What follows from "I have my dead"?
3. What is the German 'Angstlicher' referring to?
4. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. How long is Rilke's poem about the abnormal women?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)