|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Requiem for a Friend," what moves the narrative character to travel?
(a) The loss of a parent.
(b) The memory of a friend.
(c) The memory of a beloved pet.
(d) The memory of a lost home.
2. Which of the following people does Rilke paint a picture of through poetry?
(b) His mother.
(c) His favorite pet.
(d) His country's leader.
3. What is "Requiem for a Friend" about?
(a) Love for a best friend.
(b) Fear after somebody has died.
(c) Fear when a baby is born.
(d) Failure to save somebody.
4. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
(a) The poem about ancient women.
(b) The poem about the gazelle.
(c) The poem about the swan.
(d) The poem about the panther.
5. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
(a) A dead friend.
(b) A lover.
(c) A god.
(d) A parent.
6. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Roofs and floors.
(b) Space and stars.
(c) Various religious figures.
(d) Sea animals.
7. What is the annexation of Bohemia compared to in the introduction?
(a) American rule of Native Americans.
(b) The relationship between America and Canada.
(c) Hitler's reign.
(d) British rule of Ireland.
8. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
(a) American culture.
(d) Grecian region.
9. Which of the following best describes the rhyme scheme of the gazelle poem?
(a) Rilke did not rhyme, but the translator did.
(b) The vocabulary is very tense, so the rhyme is overlooked.
(c) Rilke did not intend to rhyme, but he did.
(d) The rhyme scheme was somewhat preserved in translation.
10. In the poem about the gazelle, which of the following is included?
(a) A sonnet.
(b) An epithet.
(c) A couplet.
(d) An elegy.
11. In the poem about the abnormal women, which stanza is the longest?
12. In the poem "Archaic Torso of Apollo," the poet is most similar to __________.
(a) A lover.
(b) A mother.
(c) A museum visitor.
(d) A zookeeper.
13. Which word best describes Rilke in the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One'?
(a) A lover.
(b) A builder.
(c) A dreamer.
(d) A complainer.
14. What friend is the one talked about in "Requiem for a Friend"?
15. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the ancient women?
2. What does the swan symbolize?
3. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
4. Where does "I am the Anxious One" end?
5. Which animal is described as being a restless captive?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)