|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does "I am the Anxious One" end?
(a) City of Weeps.
(b) City of Rain.
(c) City of Time.
(d) City of Dreams.
2. Which of the following would be an analogy used in Rilke's poetry for the way religion has changed?
(a) Laying out in the sun as opposed to worshipping it.
(b) Owning animals instead of worshipping them.
(c) Getting an education when simpler people are happier.
(d) Changing one's appearance instead of accepting it.
3. How did the women described in Rilke's poem about the ancient women dress?
(a) Similar to men.
(b) In bathing suits.
(c) In Victorian gowns.
(d) In animal patterns.
4. What is the narrator willing to look in the face in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(b) A god.
(c) Vengeful friends.
5. What does the swan symbolize?
6. When was Book 1, Chapter 1 written?
7. Where was Rilke from?
8. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(b) Literary techniques.
(d) Poem length.
9. Which poem has the following line: "Then all at once the messenger is there"?
(a) "The Flamingos."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(c) "Black Cat."
10. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
(a) The poem about the swan.
(b) The poem about the gazelle.
(c) The poem about the panther.
(d) The poem about ancient women.
11. What does the panther serve to be a symbol of?
(a) The German legal system.
(b) Natural power.
(c) The sun rising each morning.
(d) Native Americans.
12. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
13. Which of the following scenarios does Rilke use to describe pain?
(a) The swan can never find a real home.
(b) The gazelle is graceful but must always run from predators.
(c) The panther is trapped, unable to exert his power.
(d) The pigeon is unable to find a nest.
14. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
(a) A god.
(b) A parent.
(c) A dead friend.
(d) A lover.
15. Which of the following people does Rilke paint a picture of through poetry?
(a) His favorite pet.
(b) His mother.
(d) His country's leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Rilke in the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One'?
2. What is the name of the last poem in Book 1, Chapter 3?
3. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
4. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
5. Which animal is described as being a restless captive?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)