|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What friend is the one talked about in "Requiem for a Friend"?
2. Which animal is described as being a restless captive?
3. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
(b) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(c) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
(d) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
4. What are the ancient women that Rilke describes called?
5. What did the women in Rilke's poem about ancient women overcome?
(a) Bad reputations.
(b) Pressures of education.
(c) Restrictive roles.
(d) Raising children.
6. What is the narrator willing to look in the face in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(c) A god.
(d) Vengeful friends.
7. According to the poet, what is the main concern of the living?
8. Which adjective best describes both of the poems about the human condition in Book 1, Chapter 2?
9. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
10. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
(a) By the location in which they were written.
(b) By subject.
(c) Alphabetical order.
11. What is the name of Book 1, Chapter 4?
12. Why does the narrator admire the dead person in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) The deceased was appreciative.
(b) The deceased was good at writing.
(c) The deceased was loving.
(d) The deceased was smart.
13. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
14. According to the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1, what can be found in all things in life?
(b) The divine.
15. In the poem "I am the Anxious One," which stanza is the longest?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the annexation of Bohemia compared to in the introduction?
2. Which of the following people does Rilke paint a picture of through poetry?
3. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
4. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 2?
5. The author's message in "Requiem for a Friend" is that when something is lost, it is also _________.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)