|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the women in Rilke's poem about ancient women overcome?
(a) Bad reputations.
(b) Pressures of education.
(c) Restrictive roles.
(d) Raising children.
2. What is the narrator willing to look in the face in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(b) A god.
(c) Vengeful friends.
3. In the poem about the gazelle, which of the following is included?
(a) An elegy.
(b) An epithet.
(c) A couplet.
(d) A sonnet.
4. What is the name of the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "I find peace in the world, high and low."
(b) "I yearn for desire in each acquaintance."
(c) "I long for the Lord's ability to stay in my life."
(d) "I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all."
5. What is the new element introduced in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) Capital letters.
(b) Paragraph indentations.
(d) Figurative language.
6. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
7. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
(b) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
(c) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
(d) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
8. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "The Hours."
(b) "Time Square."
(c) "The City of Time."
(d) "Anxious One."
9. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
(a) American culture.
(d) Grecian region.
10. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
11. Which of the following describes the ancient women?
12. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
(a) A lover.
(b) A god.
(c) A dead friend.
(d) A parent.
13. Which adjective best describes both of the poems about the human condition in Book 1, Chapter 2?
14. Which of the following is a characteristic of the abnormal women in Rilke's poem?
(b) Beautifully dressed.
15. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(a) Poem length.
(c) Literary techniques.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
2. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
3. What does the author express in "Requiem for a Friend"?
4. Who might find the introduction before the poems most informative?
5. What do the poems about animals serve to do most?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)