|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1, what can be found in all things in life?
(a) The divine.
2. What is the translation of "Black Cat," as shown in the translated version of the poem?
(a) Schwartze Kaze.
(b) Schwarze Katze.
(c) Schart Kazte.
(d) Schare Catz.
3. What does the author express in "Requiem for a Friend"?
4. Which animal is described as being a restless captive?
5. When the narrative character speaks to women in the streets, where do they speak from?
6. In the poem about the abnormal women, which stanza is the longest?
7. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
(b) Greek religious leaders.
8. What is Apollo the god of in Greek mythology?
(a) Sun, healing, and music.
(b) Education, summer, and trees.
(c) Medicine, anger, winter.
(d) Reading, writing, arithmetic.
9. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(b) "Black Cat."
(c) "New Poems II."
(d) "Good Poems II."
10. Which poem most portrays the power of classical theme in poetry?
(a) "Black Cat."
(b) "The Flamingos."
(c) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
11. What is a result of the discrepancy in translation in "I am the Anxious One"?
12. Where does "I am the Anxious One" end?
(a) City of Dreams.
(b) City of Time.
(c) City of Weeps.
(d) City of Rain.
13. Which of the following scenarios does Rilke use to describe pain?
(a) The panther is trapped, unable to exert his power.
(b) The pigeon is unable to find a nest.
(c) The gazelle is graceful but must always run from predators.
(d) The swan can never find a real home.
14. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(b) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
(c) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
(d) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
15. Which animal's motions are most notable through Rilke's poems?
Short Answer Questions
1. What of the following are not themes in Rilke's poems in Book 1, Chapter 2?
2. What is the tone of "Requiem for a Friend"?
3. How long is Rilke's poem about the abnormal women?
4. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. What is "Requiem for a Friend" about?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)