|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animal is described as being able to escape a more powerful animal?
2. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
3. Who might find the introduction before the poems most informative?
(a) Those who do not know about poem format.
(b) Those who do not know about Bohemia or Rilke.
(c) Those who do not agree with Rilke's opinions.
(d) Those who do not know about Germany's wars.
4. What friend is the one talked about in "Requiem for a Friend"?
5. Which poem most portrays the power of classical theme in poetry?
(a) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(c) "The Flamingos."
(d) "Black Cat."
6. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "The Flamingos."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(d) "Black Cat."
7. What language did Rilke speak living in Bohemia?
8. When the narrative character speaks to women in the streets, where do they speak from?
9. The author's message in "Requiem for a Friend" is that when something is lost, it is also _________.
10. What name is used in Rilke's poetry that has been passed down through Greek tragedies?
11. Which animal's motions are most notable through Rilke's poems?
12. What is the translation of "Black Cat," as shown in the translated version of the poem?
(a) Schart Kazte.
(b) Schare Catz.
(c) Schwartze Kaze.
(d) Schwarze Katze.
13. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
(a) By the location in which they were written.
(b) Alphabetical order.
(d) By subject.
14. What became of Bohemia?
(a) It became a part of Canada.
(b) It was divided up among several different countries.
(c) It became part of Russia.
(d) It became Czechoslovakia.
15. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
2. Which of the following scenarios does Rilke use to describe pain?
3. What does the panther serve to be a symbol of?
4. Which of the following is a characteristic of the abnormal women in Rilke's poem?
5. What is the German 'Angstlicher' referring to?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)