|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the panther serve to be a symbol of?
(a) The sun rising each morning.
(b) Native Americans.
(c) Natural power.
(d) The German legal system.
2. When were the poems published in Book 1, Chapter 2 ?
(a) 1900, 1901.
(b) 1910, 1911.
(c) 1905, 1906.
(d) 1907, 1908.
3. How did the women described in Rilke's poem about the ancient women dress?
(a) In animal patterns.
(b) In Victorian gowns.
(c) Similar to men.
(d) In bathing suits.
4. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
5. What is the name of Book 1, Chapter 4?
6. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
7. What is the German 'Angstlicher' referring to?
(a) City of Time.
(b) Somebody having a feeling in a way that is a noun.
(c) Somebody who does not understand anxiety.
(d) Somebody who is always anxious.
8. Which of the following is a line from "I am the Anxious One"?
(a) Don't you hear my voice?
(b) Don't you love me anymore?
(c) Can't you hear the words?
(d) Won't you stay and ease my fears?
9. Which of the following is a characteristic of the abnormal women in Rilke's poem?
(d) Beautifully dressed.
10. Who is described as being "like a thief climbing in my window"?
(a) An animal.
(b) The poet.
(c) The poet's friend.
(d) The poet's mother.
11. Which of the following describes the ancient women?
12. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
(a) Living man.
13. What is the name of the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "I long for the Lord's ability to stay in my life."
(b) "I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all."
(c) "I find peace in the world, high and low."
(d) "I yearn for desire in each acquaintance."
14. In which poem is it relevant that religion has changed since Greek mythology?
(a) "Schwarze Katze."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(c) "Black Cat."
15. What name is used in Rilke's poetry that has been passed down through Greek tragedies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a result of the discrepancy in translation in "I am the Anxious One"?
2. Why does the narrator admire the dead person in "Requiem for a Friend"?
3. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
4. Which word best describes Rilke in the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One'?
5. Where was Rilke from?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)