|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) "These Animals."
(b) "Ancient Women."
(c) "New Poems."
(d) "Old Poems."
2. When the narrative character speaks to women in the streets, where do they speak from?
3. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
(a) The poem about ancient women.
(b) The poem about the swan.
(c) The poem about the panther.
(d) The poem about the gazelle.
4. Which poem has the following line: "Then all at once the messenger is there"?
(a) "Black Cat."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(c) "The Flamingos."
5. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) "Anxious One."
(b) "The City of Time."
(c) "The Hours."
(d) "Time Square."
6. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Roofs and floors.
(b) Various religious figures.
(c) Sea animals.
(d) Space and stars.
7. What did the women in Rilke's poem about ancient women overcome?
(a) Restrictive roles.
(b) Bad reputations.
(c) Pressures of education.
(d) Raising children.
8. According to the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1, what can be found in all things in life?
(c) The divine.
9. According to the poet, what is the main concern of the living?
10. What type of religion is Bavaria known for?
11. What is Apollo the god of in Greek mythology?
(a) Sun, healing, and music.
(b) Medicine, anger, winter.
(c) Reading, writing, arithmetic.
(d) Education, summer, and trees.
12. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
(a) American culture.
(c) Grecian region.
13. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(a) Poem length.
(d) Literary techniques.
14. What friend is the one talked about in "Requiem for a Friend"?
15. Which animal is described as being able to escape a more powerful animal?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem about the gazelle, which of the following is included?
2. Which of the following is evident in Rilke's poems?
3. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 3?
4. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
5. Which of the following do not describe a poem in Rilke's book?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)