|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Rilke's family member in the poem that describes them?
(c) Young adult.
(d) Middle-aged adult.
2. What does the panther serve to be a symbol of?
(a) The sun rising each morning.
(b) Natural power.
(c) Native Americans.
(d) The German legal system.
3. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
4. Who is described as being "like a thief climbing in my window"?
(a) The poet's mother.
(b) An animal.
(c) The poet's friend.
(d) The poet.
5. Which of the following would be an analogy used in Rilke's poetry for the way religion has changed?
(a) Owning animals instead of worshipping them.
(b) Changing one's appearance instead of accepting it.
(c) Laying out in the sun as opposed to worshipping it.
(d) Getting an education when simpler people are happier.
6. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(b) Literary techniques.
(d) Poem length.
7. What is the German 'Angstlicher' referring to?
(a) Somebody who does not understand anxiety.
(b) City of Time.
(c) Somebody who is always anxious.
(d) Somebody having a feeling in a way that is a noun.
8. How long is Rilke's poem about the abnormal women?
(a) More than one chapter.
(b) Less than 20 lines.
(c) More than 40 lines.
(d) Several pages.
9. What type of religion is Bavaria known for?
10. What became of Bohemia?
(a) It was divided up among several different countries.
(b) It became a part of Canada.
(c) It became Czechoslovakia.
(d) It became part of Russia.
11. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
12. According to the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1, what can be found in all things in life?
(a) The divine.
13. Which of the following is a theme in "I am the Anxious One"?
14. What line follows from "And so you died, as women used to die"?
(a) At home, in your own warm bedroom.
(b) Can you still hear me in death?
(c) During labor, the lament we omitted.
(d) In the streets, like an animal.
15. What is the narrator willing to look in the face in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(c) A god.
(d) Vengeful friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "I am the Anxious One" end?
2. Which word is associated with the women described in Rilke's poem about the Greek women?
3. Which of the following scenarios does Rilke use to describe pain?
4. Which of the following is evident in Rilke's poems?
5. What is the origin of the poem that mentions Hermes?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)