|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the translation of "Black Cat," as shown in the translated version of the poem?
(a) Schart Kazte.
(b) Schwarze Katze.
(c) Schwartze Kaze.
(d) Schare Catz.
2. What follows from "I have my dead"?
(a) And I keep them close.
(b) And I have let them go.
(c) And I want to die.
(d) And I let them live.
3. How did the women described in Rilke's poem about the ancient women dress?
(a) Similar to men.
(b) In animal patterns.
(c) In bathing suits.
(d) In Victorian gowns.
4. In "Requiem for a Friend," which of the following is left unclear?
(a) The narrative character's gender.
(b) The narrator's thoughts on traveling.
(c) The narrative character's friend's name.
(d) The feelings of the narrator for the person who died.
5. Why does the narrator admire the dead person in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) The deceased was appreciative.
(b) The deceased was smart.
(c) The deceased was good at writing.
(d) The deceased was loving.
6. When were the poems published in Book 1, Chapter 2 ?
(a) 1907, 1908.
(b) 1905, 1906.
(c) 1900, 1901.
(d) 1910, 1911.
7. What became of Bohemia?
(a) It became a part of Canada.
(b) It became Czechoslovakia.
(c) It was divided up among several different countries.
(d) It became part of Russia.
8. Which word best describes Rilke in the second stanza of "I am the Anxious One'?
(a) A builder.
(b) A dreamer.
(c) A complainer.
(d) A lover.
9. In the poem "I am the Anxious One," which stanza is the longest?
10. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
(a) The poem about ancient women.
(b) The poem about the panther.
(c) The poem about the gazelle.
(d) The poem about the swan.
11. Which poem most portrays the power of classical theme in poetry?
(a) "The Flamingos."
(b) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(d) "Black Cat."
12. In "Requiem for a Friend," what moves the narrative character to travel?
(a) The memory of a beloved pet.
(b) The memory of a lost home.
(c) The memory of a friend.
(d) The loss of a parent.
13. How long is Rilke's poem about the abnormal women?
(a) Several pages.
(b) Less than 20 lines.
(c) More than one chapter.
(d) More than 40 lines.
14. Which of the following people does Rilke paint a picture of through poetry?
(a) His favorite pet.
(b) His country's leader.
(c) His mother.
15. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 1?
2. What is "Requiem for a Friend" about?
3. In which poem is it relevant that religion has changed since Greek mythology?
4. What did the women in Rilke's poem about ancient women overcome?
5. When was Book 1, Chapter 1 written?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)