|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the poems about animals serve to do most?
(a) Study the movements they make.
(b) Advertise for a zoo.
(c) Emphasize how captivity is bad for animals.
(d) Pay homage.
2. Which of the following is evident in Rilke's poems?
(a) Knowledge combined with contempt.
(b) Imagination combined with knowledge.
(c) Faith combined with imagination.
(d) Pure research.
3. Which of the following is the first poem in Book 1, Chapter 4?
(a) "Requiem for a Friend."
(b) "Traveling in a Dream."
(c) "Poem for Marie."
(d) "Discourse of Fruit."
4. Where was Rilke from?
5. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
6. What did the women in Rilke's poem about ancient women overcome?
(a) Bad reputations.
(b) Restrictive roles.
(c) Pressures of education.
(d) Raising children.
7. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
8. Which animal is described as being able to escape a more powerful animal?
9. What is the title of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) "New Poems."
(b) "These Animals."
(c) "Old Poems."
(d) "Ancient Women."
10. When were the poems published in Book 1, Chapter 2 ?
(a) 1910, 1911.
(b) 1905, 1906.
(c) 1900, 1901.
(d) 1907, 1908.
11. In which poem is personification most relevant?
(a) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(b) "The Flamingos."
(d) "Schwarze Katze."
12. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(b) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
(c) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
(d) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
13. What is the translation of "Black Cat," as shown in the translated version of the poem?
(a) Schart Kazte.
(b) Schwarze Katze.
(c) Schwartze Kaze.
(d) Schare Catz.
14. What line follows from "And so you died, as women used to die"?
(a) At home, in your own warm bedroom.
(b) Can you still hear me in death?
(c) During labor, the lament we omitted.
(d) In the streets, like an animal.
15. In which way are the poems in the book presented?
(a) By the location in which they were written.
(b) By subject.
(c) Alphabetical order.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which poem is it relevant that religion has changed since Greek mythology?
2. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
3. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
4. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
5. Who annexed Rilke's part of Czech Bohemia with World War I?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)