|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following seems to have inspired Rilke the most?
(a) Grecian region.
(b) American culture.
2. What is the origin of the poem that mentions Hermes?
(b) Indian Ocean.
(d) Mediterranean Sea.
3. What is the narrator willing to look in the face in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(c) A god.
(d) Vengeful friends.
4. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "The Flamingos."
(c) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(d) "Black Cat."
5. Which of the following is evident in Rilke's poems?
(a) Knowledge combined with contempt.
(b) Faith combined with imagination.
(c) Imagination combined with knowledge.
(d) Pure research.
6. In Greek mythology, what did the sun readily take on the guise of?
(d) Living man.
7. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
8. What is the main difference between the English and German poems?
(a) The German poems rhyme better than the translation.
(b) The translation uses weaker description.
(c) The German poems are completely different and impossible to translate to English.
(d) The translation has a different message.
9. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(b) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
(c) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
(d) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
10. Where was Rilke from?
11. What is a result of the discrepancy in translation in "I am the Anxious One"?
12. What is the translation of "Black Cat," as shown in the translated version of the poem?
(a) Schwartze Kaze.
(b) Schwarze Katze.
(c) Schare Catz.
(d) Schart Kazte.
13. Which of the following is different between Book 1, Chapters 1 and 2?
(a) Poem length.
(d) Literary techniques.
14. How old is Rilke's family member in the poem that describes them?
(b) Young adult.
(c) Middle-aged adult.
15. What of the following are not themes in Rilke's poems in Book 1, Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who answered questions on Apollo's behalf?
2. How does Rilke feel at the beginning of "I am the Anxious One"?
3. Which word is associated with the women described in Rilke's poem about the Greek women?
4. What is the name of Book 1, Chapter 4?
5. Which of the following poems has the theme of being held back?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)