|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator admire the dead person in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(a) The deceased was smart.
(b) The deceased was appreciative.
(c) The deceased was loving.
(d) The deceased was good at writing.
2. What is the name of the author of Greek tragedies?
(c) Oedipus Rex.
3. What is the main difference between the English and German poems?
(a) The translation uses weaker description.
(b) The German poems are completely different and impossible to translate to English.
(c) The translation has a different message.
(d) The German poems rhyme better than the translation.
4. What is the new element introduced in "Requiem for a Friend"?
(b) Figurative language.
(c) Capital letters.
(d) Paragraph indentations.
5. When was Book 1, Chapter 1 written?
6. Which of the following is the name of one of Rilke's poems?
(a) "Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes."
(b) "Saint. Hermes. Alcestis."
(c) "Apollo. Hermes. Eurydice."
(d) "Orpheus. Alcestis. Apollo."
7. Which poem has the following line: "You must change your life"?
(a) "Black Cat."
(c) "Archaic Torso of Apollo."
(d) "The Flamingos."
8. How did the Bohemians feel about the country being annexed?
9. Which of the following is included in the final poem of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Various religious figures.
(b) Roofs and floors.
(c) Space and stars.
(d) Sea animals.
10. Which family member does Rilke dedicate a poem to?
11. How old is Rilke's family member in the poem that describes them?
(c) Young adult.
(d) Middle-aged adult.
12. Which of the following is a characteristic of the abnormal women in Rilke's poem?
(a) Beautifully dressed.
13. Which of the following best describes the poem about Lord in Book 1, Chapter 1?
14. Which of the following do not describe a poem in Rilke's book?
(a) Time of day.
(b) Rilke's father before Rilke was born.
(c) A clown in the park trying to make a living.
(d) A panther in a cage.
15. What is the tone of "Requiem for a Friend"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Apollo the god of in Greek mythology?
2. Whom does the poet ask, "Tell me, must I travel?"
3. What of the following are not themes in Rilke's poems in Book 1, Chapter 2?
4. How does Rilke describe the gazelle in the poem?
5. What line follows from "And so you died, as women used to die"?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)