|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the speaker find himself after dying in the poem "Judgment Day"?
2. What does the speaker comment about one's sweetheart in "Reverie on the Harlem River"?
3. What is the sign that the speaker of "Bad Morning" is indeed having a bad morning?
4. What is missing from the wall in "End"?
5. In the poem "Fire," what does the author think fire is going to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the speaker so surprised by his girlfriend's snoring in "Morning After"?
2. What does the use of the word "fragment" in a poem title imply?
3. What does Hughes write in the introduction before the poem "Sunday Morning Prophecy" begins?
4. What is the unspoken implication about Monroe in "Monroe's Blues"?
5. What exactly is the "amen-corner" mentioned in the poem "Prayer-Meeting"?
6. What kind of imagery is most prevalent in the poems in the section "Sea and Land"?
7. For how long does the speaker in "Evil" plan to "keep on at it"?
8. What are the Lincoln Prairies symbolic of in "One"?
9. What do many of the poems in the "Afro-American Fragment" section of "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes" have an undercurrent of?
10. What exactly is "jazz style" poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Negro Mother and Alberta Johnson, making sure to use direct quotations from the text in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role the blues plays in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes," using at least 3 poems as evidence to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the preacher that appears in "Sunday Morning Prophecy." Is he a good preacher? Bad preacher? Are his efforts to encourage his congregants to give freely in the collection plate altruistic or greedy? Is he helpful or judgmental (or both) of his congregants and congregation?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)