|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker claim people do on the sea in "Long Trip"?
2. What kind of pain does the woman feel in "Strange Hurt"?
3. In the poem "Fire," who does the author say he has had more women than?
4. Which continent features most prominently in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
5. In "The Negro Speaks of Rivers," what does the speaker say his souls has done similar to a river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exactly is the Black Pierrot mentioned in the poem of the same name?
2. What is the poem "Fulfilment" about?
3. Why does the speaker want people to wear red in "Wake"?
4. For how long does the speaker in "Evil" plan to "keep on at it"?
5. What simile is used in "Lover's Return"?
6. What do many of the poems in the "Afro-American Fragment" section of "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes" have an undercurrent of?
7. What does the speaker hope in the poem "Island"?
8. What are the two characters quarreling about in "Early Evening Quarrel"?
9. What is the musician singing about in "The Weary Blues"?
10. What does the use of the word "fragment" in a poem title imply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one poem from "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes" and discuss 1) why Hughes gave it the title he did and 2) what Hughes wants to convey through the title of that poem.
Essay Topic 2
In "Widow Woman," Hughes writes from the perspective of a woman. Discuss at least 3 rhetorical devices he uses to come up with a voice that is his own and yet not his own in this particular poem.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze 1) the tone of "50-50," 2) the relationship between the two characters in the poem, and 3) how the tone helps the reader better understand the relationship dynamics between these two characters. Make sure to include direct quotations from the poem to support your well-written thesis statement.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)