|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Negro Speaks of Rivers," what does the speaker say his souls has done similar to a river?
2. When the speaker asks his lover if she understands him in "Maybe," what does she say?
3. Which of the following does the speaker NOT claim to have been in "Negro"?
4. How does the speaker describe the plants in "Garden"?
5. When was "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes" published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What simile is used in "Lover's Return"?
2. What kinds of objects are referenced in "Spirituals"?
3. What does Hughes write in the introduction before the poem "Sunday Morning Prophecy" begins?
4. What is a Black Maria?
5. What exactly is "jazz style" poetry?
6. What does the use of the word "fragment" in a poem title imply?
7. What do many of the poems in the "Afro-American Fragment" section of "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes" have an undercurrent of?
8. What is the musician singing about in "The Weary Blues"?
9. What is the poem "Fulfilment" about?
10. What exactly is the Black Pierrot mentioned in the poem of the same name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the preacher that appears in "Sunday Morning Prophecy." Is he a good preacher? Bad preacher? Are his efforts to encourage his congregants to give freely in the collection plate altruistic or greedy? Is he helpful or judgmental (or both) of his congregants and congregation?
Essay Topic 2
In "Widow Woman," Hughes writes from the perspective of a woman. Discuss at least 3 rhetorical devices he uses to come up with a voice that is his own and yet not his own in this particular poem.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-written essay, discuss the symbolism, imagery, and diction Hughes uses in "March Moon."
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)