|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the speaker think the distance is between "here and there" in the poem "Border Line"?
2. What "mellows to a golden note" in "Trumpet Player"?
3. What does the woman's pain tell her to do in "Strange Hurt"?
4. How does the speaker specifically describe the tulips in "Garden"?
5. What is one common theme in the poems presented in the "Feet o' Jesus" section of "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is gathered up in the poem "Litany"?
2. Why do some African-Americans have a complicated relationship with Christianity, at least as is represented in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
3. What theme unites the poems in "Distance Nowhere"?
4. What exactly is "jazz style" poetry?
5. What does the poem "Drum" portray Death's eventuality as?
6. What is the unspoken implication about Monroe in "Monroe's Blues"?
7. What does the speaker hope in the poem "Island"?
8. Why is the speaker so surprised by his girlfriend's snoring in "Morning After"?
9. What exactly is the Black Pierrot mentioned in the poem of the same name?
10. Why does the preacher in "Sunday Morning Prophecy" want congregants to give freely into the collection basket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the poem "Early Evening Quarrel" can be analyzed as a vignette that addresses the larger themes (particularly those of romance and the dynamics between men and women) present in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes."
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Sylvester in "Sylvester's Death Bed" and discuss 1) the role(s) women play in the poem, 2) Sylvester's attitude about the women surrounding him, and 3) the meaning behind why Sylvester dies right before he is able to "hug 'em."
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Negro Mother and Alberta Johnson, making sure to use direct quotations from the text in your essay.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)