|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madam have a large phone bill in "Madam and the Phone Bill"?
(a) Because someone called her collect.
(b) Because the rates went up and she didn't know.
(c) Because she fell asleep while on the phone.
(d) Because the company made a mistake.
2. What four things does the speaker in "Necessity" say he must do (in the beginning of the poem)?
(a) Mow the lawn, get the mail, fix the porch, and pain the house.
(b) Wake up, shower, get dressed, and go to work.
(c) Come home, drink, eat, and go to sleep.
(d) Eat, drink, stay black, and die.
3. How does the speaker first attempt suicide in "Life Is Fine"?
(a) By jumping in front of a train.
(b) By jumping off of a building.
(c) By jumping off of a cliff.
(d) By jumping into a river.
4. Where is Miss Gardner in "Southern Mammy Sings"?
(a) At a funeral.
(b) In her yard.
(c) At mass.
(d) In her garden.
5. How does the character in "Migrant" sign his paycheck?
(a) With "a crayon, just like a child."
(b) With his own blood.
(c) With his family's famous pen.
(d) In "uphill letters."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is being cooked for dinner in "Graduation"?
2. What does the speaker in "Down and Out" want from her lover?
3. What job does Ruby Brown have when the poem of her same name starts?
4. What does the speaker pick up and take away in "One-Way Ticket"?
5. What 2 places does the speaker go to in "Young Gal's Blues"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the speaker in "Hard Daddy" want to be an eagle?
2. What is the commonality between all of the poems in "Lament Over Love"?
3. What theme unites the poems in "Name in Uphill Letters"?
4. What is the speaker talking about in "Note on Commercial Theater"?
5. What historical figure might Madam Alberta K. Johnson be based upon?
6. What comparison is made in "Me and the Mule"?
7. Why do some of the women in the "Lament Over Love" section claim to still participate in bad relationships with men?
8. What problem does the U.S. Census worker have with Madam in "Madam and the Census Man"?
9. How does Madam prefer to handle her suitors?
10. What is the history of the word "mulatto," as evidenced in the poem of the same name?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)