|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madam have a large phone bill in "Madam and the Phone Bill"?
(a) Because the company made a mistake.
(b) Because someone called her collect.
(c) Because she fell asleep while on the phone.
(d) Because the rates went up and she didn't know.
2. What in particular does the speaker need a dime for in "Down and Out"?
(a) New shoes.
(b) A beer.
(c) To see a movie.
(d) Cleaning supplies.
3. What caused Madam to abandon her barbecue stand?
(a) A fire from her huge barbecue pit.
(c) She just got bored and tired with it.
(d) Being mixed up with a no-good man.
4. How many men are helping plan the parade in "Parade"?
5. What does the little boy use as a toy in "Madam and the Charity Child"?
(a) A switch-blade.
(b) The trash can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the speaker in "Young Gal's Blues" rather be dead than?
2. What does the speaker in "Porter" have to say all the time?
3. What does the speaker hope for her child in the poem "Lament over Love"?
4. Where does the speaker say Harlem is in "Puzzled"?
5. What job does Ruby Brown have when the poem of her same name starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do both "Still Here" and "Me and the Mule" celebrate?
2. How are men portrayed in the poems in "Lament Over Love"?
3. What is the speaker talking about in "Note on Commercial Theater"?
4. What problem does the U.S. Census worker have with Madam in "Madam and the Census Man"?
5. What observation does the speaker make about the people riding the subway in "Subway Rush Hour"?
6. What historical figure might Madam Alberta K. Johnson be based upon?
7. What does the speaker in "Hard Daddy" want to be an eagle?
8. What major themes are present in the poems included in "Montage of a Dream Deferred"?
9. How does the speaker compare his relationship with the South and the North in "The South"?
10. What is the commonality between all of the poems in "Lament Over Love"?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)