|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would the speaker in "Young Gal's Blues" rather be dead than?
(a) Ugly and poor.
(b) Ugly and old.
(c) Poor and stupid.
(d) Old and stupid.
2. What does the speaker in "Cross" take back in regard to his father?
(c) His books.
(d) A car.
3. What is the one thing the fortune teller in "Ballad of the Fortune Teller" couldn't see?
(a) Where her lover went.
(b) That she was going to be robbed.
(c) When she was going to die.
(d) That her business was going to go bankrupt.
4. Why is the speaker fired from his job in "Fired"?
(a) Because he was ineffective at his job.
(b) Because he got in a fight with a coworker.
(c) Because he was late again.
(d) Because he stole from the company.
5. What is the speaker tired of in "One-Way Ticket"?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(c) People who are afraid of him.
(d) Jim Crow laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker in "Porter" have to say all the time?
2. Which color hands are NOT mentioned in "Daybreak in Alabama"?
3. How many women are helping plan the parade in "Parade"?
4. What does the speaker wish the rent were in "Little Lyric (Of Great Importance)"?
5. Where is Miss Michaelmas in "Southern Mammy Sings"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do both "Still Here" and "Me and the Mule" celebrate?
2. What one notable thing does the poem "Daybreak" address in the "Magnolia Flowers" section that the others do not?
3. What are three sub-themes that appear in "Note on Commercial Theater"?
4. What theme unites the poems in "Name in Uphill Letters"?
5. What is the history of the word "mulatto," as evidenced in the poem of the same name?
6. Why do some of the women in the "Lament Over Love" section claim to still participate in bad relationships with men?
7. How do the poems in "Life Is Fine" treat life's trials and tribulations?
8. What does the stereotype of the poem "Uncle Tom" tap into?
9. What does the speaker in "Hard Daddy" want to be an eagle?
10. What is the common tone of the pieces in "Life Is Fine"?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)