|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the speaker claim people do on the sea in "Long Trip"?
(a) Dip and dive.
(b) Swim and float.
(c) Flip and fly.
(d) Sail and wail.
2. What kind of music are tambourines often used in?
(a) Classical music.
(b) Gospel music.
(c) Traditional Chinese music.
(d) Irish music.
3. What is "Prayer Meeting" an example of?
(a) Iambic pentameter.
(b) Old English.
(c) Speaking in tongues.
(d) A vignette.
4. What is Langston Hughes known for?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Being an essayist.
(c) Being a social activist.
(d) Being a poet.
5. What asked the speaker for a kiss in "Suicide's Note"?
(a) A frog.
(b) An ugly woman.
(c) A beautiful man.
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the speaker come home without in "Midnight Raffle"?
2. What does the title "Litany" refer to?
3. What annoying habit of his Baby does the speaker address in "Morning After"?
4. What does the speaker say is a strong thing in "Spirituals"?
5. What language, other than English, is used in the poem "Havana Dreams"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is gathered up in the poem "Litany"?
2. What does Hughes write in the introduction before the poem "Sunday Morning Prophecy" begins?
3. What kind of feeling does "Dream Variations" help the "Afro-American Fragment" section conclude with?
4. What kind of imagery is most prevalent in the poems in the section "Sea and Land"?
5. What theme unites the poems in "Distance Nowhere"?
6. What does the poem "Drum" portray Death's eventuality as?
7. What kinds of objects are referenced in "Spirituals"?
8. What does the use of the word "fragment" in a poem title imply?
9. What kind of tour does Hughes take the reader on in "Sea and Land"?
10. Why does the speaker want people to wear red in "Wake"?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)