|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the woman in "Strange Hurt" wander in the cold during winter?
2. Where does the speaker think the distance is between "here and there" in the poem "Border Line"?
(c) The red line of the subway.
(d) In his own mind.
3. Who is the song for in "Genius Child"?
(a) The average child.
(b) The genius child himself.
(c) A former professor of the speaker.
(d) A student.
4. Where does the playboy mentioned in "Gone Boy" NOT go at the end of the poem?
(c) His parents' house.
(d) The grocery store.
5. How does the speaker describe the plants in "Garden"?
(a) As beautiful and relaxing.
(b) As strange and distorted.
(c) As boring and ignorant.
(d) As angry and ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hughes dedicate "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes" to?
2. What inanimate object speaks in "Heaven"?
3. What do the blues prevent the speaker from doing in "Miss Blues'es Child"?
4. What is missing from the wall in "End"?
5. What is curved beneath Big Boy's arm in "Catch"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exactly is "jazz style" poetry?
2. Who is gathered up in the poem "Litany"?
3. What exactly is the "amen-corner" mentioned in the poem "Prayer-Meeting"?
4. What is the Harlem Renaissance known for?
5. What simile is used in "Lover's Return"?
6. What is the musician singing about in "The Weary Blues"?
7. In "Afro-American Fragment" (the poem), what does the author imply is being fragmented?
8. What kinds of objects are referenced in "Spirituals"?
9. What is the unspoken implication about Monroe in "Monroe's Blues"?
10. Why do some African-Americans have a complicated relationship with Christianity, at least as is represented in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)