|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madam say she'd do before she pays the rent to her landlord in "Madam and the Rent Man"?
(a) Go to the bank.
(b) Cook a nice dinner.
(c) Scrub all the floors in the house.
(d) Go to Hades.
2. What in particular does the speaker need a dime for in "Down and Out"?
(a) A beer.
(b) New shoes.
(c) Cleaning supplies.
(d) To see a movie.
3. What place is the speaker trying to avoid in "One-Way Ticket"?
(a) His girlfriend's house.
(b) The South.
(c) His mother's house.
(d) The police station.
4. What does the speaker hope for her child in the poem "Lament over Love"?
(a) That he or she will go to college.
(b) That he or she will not grow up to be poor.
(c) That he or she will stop being so bratty all the time.
(d) The he or she will never love a man.
5. Where does the speaker say Harlem is in "Puzzled"?
(a) In the note of every Blues' song.
(b) At the edge of America.
(c) In every man's heart.
(d) On the edge of hell.
6. Where are people meeting to plan the parade in "Parade"?
(a) At the minister's house.
(b) The Elks Club Lodge.
(d) The mall; they have meeting rooms there.
7. What does the speaker pick up and take away in "One-Way Ticket"?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His sins.
(c) His Bible.
(d) His life.
8. What does the speaker claim he, too, would do if he were a Gypsy?
(a) Be psychic.
(b) Travel the world.
(c) Steal people's money.
(d) Wear beautiful, handmade clothes.
9. What does the speaker wonder about his own death in "Cross"?
(a) If anyone will even notice.
(b) Who will get his inheritance.
(c) Where he will die.
(d) Who will mourn for him.
10. What is the little boy dreaming of in "To Be Somebody"?
(a) George Foreman's boxing gloves.
(b) Mike Tyson's boxing gloves.
(c) Joe Louis's boxing gloves.
(d) Muhammad Ali's boxing gloves.
11. What does Ruby Brown do for a living by the time the poem of her same name concludes?
(a) She is a teacher.
(b) She is a doctor.
(c) She quits her job but doesn't have a new one yet.
(d) She is a prostitute.
12. How many men are helping plan the parade in "Parade"?
13. How many women are helping plan the parade in "Parade"?
14. What does the speaker in "Porter" have to say all the time?
(a) "No, ma'am."
(b) "Thank you, sir."
(c) "Thank you, ma'am."
(d) "Yes, sir."
15. What does the speaker in "Little Old Letter" claim pen and paper have the power to do?
(a) Burn up and turn meaningless.
(b) Guarantee your rights.
(c) Take a person's life.
(d) Seal a deal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing the fortune teller in "Ballad of the Fortune Teller" couldn't see?
2. What would the speaker in "Young Gal's Blues" rather be dead than?
3. What two things does Kid Sleep say he doesn't care about/doesn't want to do in "Kid Sleepy"?
4. What does the speaker in "Cross" wish in regard to his mother?
5. How does the speaker first attempt suicide in "Life Is Fine"?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)