|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of his paycheck does the character's buddy have to give to his mother?
(a) Eight a week.
(b) Ten a week.
(c) Fifteen a week.
(d) Five a week.
2. What does the speaker hope for her child in the poem "Lament over Love"?
(a) The he or she will never love a man.
(b) That he or she will go to college.
(c) That he or she will stop being so bratty all the time.
(d) That he or she will not grow up to be poor.
3. What is the name of the character in "Graduation"?
(a) Mary Beth Wilson.
(b) Jackson Bartlet.
(c) Mary Lulu Jackson.
(d) Jackson Barton.
4. Why does Madam have a large phone bill in "Madam and the Phone Bill"?
(a) Because the rates went up and she didn't know.
(b) Because the company made a mistake.
(c) Because she fell asleep while on the phone.
(d) Because someone called her collect.
5. Which of the following is NOT listed as a job Madam has to do in "Madam and Her Madam"?
(a) Do the laundry.
(b) Fetch the groceries.
(d) Take care of the children.
6. What is being cooked for dinner in "Graduation"?
(d) Pot roast.
7. What does the Gypsy need in her hand in "Ballad of the Gypsy" before she reads the speaker's fortune?
8. Where does Madam dream of playing the numbers in "Madam and the Number Writer"?
(a) In a very classy gambling club in Vegas.
(b) Back in Atlanta with her family.
(c) In heaven.
(d) Out in public like white people.
9. Why doesn't the speaker in "Preference" like younger girls?
(a) Because they are too dependent on their parents.
(b) Because they always want something from him.
(c) Because they cry too much.
(d) Because they don't let him boss them around.
10. Where does the speaker say Harlem is in "Puzzled"?
(a) In every man's heart.
(b) On the edge of hell.
(c) In the note of every Blues' song.
(d) At the edge of America.
11. What does the speaker claim is such a bore in "Ennui"?
(d) Being poor.
12. How large is the house that Madam has to clean in "Madam and Her Madam"?
(a) Twelve rooms.
(b) One room.
(c) This is a trick question; there is no house mentioned in this poem.
(d) Five rooms plus a spare apartment.
13. How many men are helping plan the parade in "Parade"?
14. What four things does the speaker in "Necessity" say he must do (in the beginning of the poem)?
(a) Eat, drink, stay black, and die.
(b) Wake up, shower, get dressed, and go to work.
(c) Mow the lawn, get the mail, fix the porch, and pain the house.
(d) Come home, drink, eat, and go to sleep.
15. What job does Ruby Brown have when the poem of her same name starts?
(a) Working at a hospital.
(b) Working in a white woman's kitchen.
(c) Working in a library.
(d) Working in the fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Kid Sleep say he doesn't care about/doesn't want to do in "Kid Sleepy"?
2. What kind of men does the speaker love in "Cora"?
3. How much does the character's buddy earn a week in "Buddy"?
4. How many women are helping plan the parade in "Parade"?
5. What does the speaker claim "Madam" stands for in "Madam's Past History"?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)