|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of his paycheck does the character's buddy have to give to his mother?
(a) Fifteen a week.
(b) Eight a week.
(c) Ten a week.
(d) Five a week.
2. What does Ruby Brown do for a living by the time the poem of her same name concludes?
(a) She is a doctor.
(b) She quits her job but doesn't have a new one yet.
(c) She is a prostitute.
(d) She is a teacher.
3. How much does the character's buddy earn a week in "Buddy"?
(a) Twenty a week.
(b) Ten a week.
(c) Fifteen a week.
(d) Twelve a week.
4. How many women are helping plan the parade in "Parade"?
5. How does the speaker attempt suicide the second time in "Life Is Fine"?
(a) By jumping off of a building.
(b) By jumping into a river.
(c) By jumping off of a cliff.
(d) By jumping in front of a train.
6. In "Little Old Letter," the speaker claims never to have been so lonely since when?
(a) Since she was first left with a babysitter.
(b) Since she first moved out on her own.
(c) Since she found out she was adopted.
(d) Since she was born black.
7. According to the speaker in "To Be Somebody," where is there always room?
(a) In one's own mind.
(b) At the top.
(c) In dreams.
(d) In another's heart.
8. What does the speaker in "Down and Out" want from her lover?
(a) New shoes.
(b) A new car.
9. What two things does Kid Sleep say he doesn't care about/doesn't want to do in "Kid Sleepy"?
(a) Help in the kitchen and help in the garden.
(b) Run around and work downtown.
(c) Clean up his room and put away his toys.
(d) Milk the cow and gather vegetables for dinner.
10. Why does Madam have a large phone bill in "Madam and the Phone Bill"?
(a) Because the rates went up and she didn't know.
(b) Because someone called her collect.
(c) Because she fell asleep while on the phone.
(d) Because the company made a mistake.
11. What does the Gypsy need in her hand in "Ballad of the Gypsy" before she reads the speaker's fortune?
12. How does Madam want her name printed in "Madam's Calling Cards"?
(a) In Italian.
(b) In "Roman."
(c) In "Old English."
(d) In "American."
13. What is the little girl dreaming of in "To Be Somebody"?
(a) A prince in a castle.
(b) A baby grand piano.
(c) A castle on a cloud.
(d) A dollhouse.
14. Where is Miss Michaelmas in "Southern Mammy Sings"?
(a) In her yard.
(b) At mass.
(c) At a funeral.
(d) In her garden.
15. What does the speaker claim he, too, would do if he were a Gypsy?
(a) Be psychic.
(b) Travel the world.
(c) Wear beautiful, handmade clothes.
(d) Steal people's money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker claim the wine-maiden's lips are as sweet as in "Midnight Dancer"?
2. What question does the Klan ask the speaker in "Ku Klux"?
3. Where is Miss Gardner in "Southern Mammy Sings"?
4. What is the one thing the fortune teller in "Ballad of the Fortune Teller" couldn't see?
5. What does the speaker wonder about his own death in "Cross"?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)