|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large is the house that Madam has to clean in "Madam and Her Madam"?
(a) Five rooms plus a spare apartment.
(b) Twelve rooms.
(c) One room.
(d) This is a trick question; there is no house mentioned in this poem.
2. What 2 places does the speaker go to in "Young Gal's Blues"?
(a) The graveyard and the poor house.
(b) The post office and the grocery store.
(c) The beauty shop and the nail salon.
(d) The doctor's office and the hospital.
3. What does the speaker in "Porter" have to say all the time?
(a) "No, ma'am."
(b) "Thank you, sir."
(c) "Thank you, ma'am."
(d) "Yes, sir."
4. Which color hands are NOT mentioned in "Daybreak in Alabama"?
5. What does the speaker in "Life Is Fine" decide he was born for?
6. What is the little girl dreaming of in "To Be Somebody"?
(a) A prince in a castle.
(b) A dollhouse.
(c) A castle on a cloud.
(d) A baby grand piano.
7. What in particular does the speaker need a dime for in "Down and Out"?
(a) New shoes.
(b) To see a movie.
(c) Cleaning supplies.
(d) A beer.
8. What does the speaker compare love to in "Lament over Love"?
(b) The ocean.
(c) An earthquake.
9. What two things does Kid Sleep say he doesn't care about/doesn't want to do in "Kid Sleepy"?
(a) Clean up his room and put away his toys.
(b) Milk the cow and gather vegetables for dinner.
(c) Run around and work downtown.
(d) Help in the kitchen and help in the garden.
10. What kind of men does the speaker love in "Cora"?
(a) The ones who never seem to live long.
(b) The ones who always cheat on her with her best friend.
(c) The ones who treat her poorly.
(d) The ones who can play a "sweet Blues song."
11. What does the speaker say life is as fine as in "Life Is Fine"?
(b) A good meal.
12. What does the speaker hope for her child in the poem "Lament over Love"?
(a) That he or she will not grow up to be poor.
(b) That he or she will go to college.
(c) That he or she will stop being so bratty all the time.
(d) The he or she will never love a man.
13. Where is Miss Gardner in "Southern Mammy Sings"?
(a) In her garden.
(b) At mass.
(c) In her yard.
(d) At a funeral.
14. Which of the following is NOT listed as a job Madam has to do in "Madam and Her Madam"?
(a) Do the laundry.
(b) Fetch the groceries.
(d) Take care of the children.
15. What does the speaker in "Little Old Letter" claim pen and paper have the power to do?
(a) Guarantee your rights.
(b) Take a person's life.
(c) Seal a deal.
(d) Burn up and turn meaningless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does the speaker claim a dream deferred makes in "Dream Boogie"?
2. What does the speaker in "Down and Out" want from her lover?
3. What is Madam's full name?
4. Where is Miss Michaelmas in "Southern Mammy Sings"?
5. How does the speaker attempt suicide the second time in "Life Is Fine"?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)