|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major era did Hughes contribute to?
(a) The Birth of Slam Poetry.
(b) The Novelists' Novelty Time.
(c) The Iron Age.
(d) The Harlem Renaissance.
2. What did the speaker's lover also pawn when he/she pawned the speaker's watch?
3. How does the woman in "Strange Hurt" wander in the cold during winter?
4. What does the title "Litany" refer to?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) A city in Africa.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A city in the South.
5. What is Hughes known as being the originator of?
(a) Slam poetry.
(b) African American poetry.
(c) Jazz poetry.
(d) Modernist poetry.
6. What is the title of the poem about John Brown in the "Afro-American Fragments" section?
(a) October 16.
(b) John Brown.
(c) Mississippi Burning.
(d) Brown John.
7. What is the sign that the speaker of "Bad Morning" is indeed having a bad morning?
(a) A note from his lover saying she's leaving.
(b) Mismated shoes.
(c) Too many bills on the kitchen table.
(d) A broken-down car.
8. What asked the speaker for a kiss in "Suicide's Note"?
(a) The river.
(b) A frog.
(c) An ugly woman.
(d) A beautiful man.
9. In "As I Grew Older," what does the speaker say he had nearly forgotten?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His dream.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
10. In "Angels Wings," what does the speaker say the angel's wings are as white as?
11. What kind of pain does the woman feel in "Strange Hurt"?
(a) A "heart" pain.
(b) A "queer" pain.
(c) A "Godlike" pain.
(d) A "silent" pain.
12. In the poem "Fire," what does the author think fire is going to do?
(a) Clean his sins away.
(b) Burn his house down.
(c) Burn his soul.
(d) Burn his crops.
13. Who selected the poems in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
(a) Langston Hughes himself.
(b) His mom.
(c) His wife.
(d) His editor.
14. What country is NOT mentioned in any of the poems in "Sea and Land"?
15. What did the speaker come home without in "Midnight Raffle"?
(a) A job.
(b) A briefcase.
(c) The groceries his wife asked him to buy.
(d) A dime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the speaker do with his nickel in "Midnight Raffle"?
2. What nickname does Sylvester give himself in "Sylvester's Dying Bed"?
3. Where is Happiness in "Heaven"?
4. What kind of cadence is "The Weary Blues" written in?
5. In the poem "Feet o' Jesus," what does the author want to happen at Jesus's feet?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)