|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the poem about John Brown in the "Afro-American Fragments" section?
(a) John Brown.
(b) Mississippi Burning.
(c) Brown John.
(d) October 16.
2. What did Hattie want Hammond to buy when he was out?
3. What does the speaker encourage the reader to wonder about when down by the river?
(a) How beautiful nature is.
(b) What (you) got left.
(c) The power of love.
(d) The preciousness of children.
4. What are the waves cutting the darkness with in "Moonlight Night: Carmel"?
(a) An eerie silence.
(b) Their silver shanks.
(c) Thier bioluminescent spheres.
(d) The sounds of their crashes.
5. What annoying habit of his Baby does the speaker address in "Morning After"?
(c) Leaving dishes out all the time.
6. Who is playing music in "The Weary Blues"?
(a) A black woman.
(b) A black man.
(c) A white woman.
(d) A white man.
7. What kind of music are tambourines often used in?
(a) Irish music.
(b) Classical music.
(c) Traditional Chinese music.
(d) Gospel music.
8. What race was Langston Hughes?
(b) African American.
9. Which of the following does the speaker NOT claim to have been in "Negro"?
(a) A slave.
(b) A worker.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A singer.
10. Where does Aunt Sue get her stories from in "Aunt Sue's Stories"?
(a) The TV.
(b) Her own life.
(c) The radio.
(d) A book.
11. What nickname does Sylvester give himself in "Sylvester's Dying Bed"?
(a) Sylvest the Best.
(b) Sly Syl.
(c) Saint Sylvester.
(d) Sweet Papa 'Vester.
12. What does the speaker comment about one's mother in "Reverie on the Harlem River"?
(a) That she is always nagging him.
(b) That there was no one like her.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) That she is dead and gone.
13. What is one way Sylvester knows he is dying in "Sylvester's Dying Bed"?
(a) He saw it earlier in a dream.
(b) He sees the River Jordan.
(c) He hears Jesus talking to him.
(d) He doesn't feel any more pain.
14. What kind of cadence is "The Weary Blues" written in?
(a) The cadence of rap music.
(b) The cadence of classical music.
(c) The cadence of a blues song.
(d) The cadence of a sermon.
15. What is "Prayer Meeting" an example of?
(a) Old English.
(b) Speaking in tongues.
(c) Iambic pentameter.
(d) A vignette.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hughes get the title "Feet of Jesus" from for that particular section in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
2. In "Angels Wings," what does the speaker say the angel's wings are as white as?
3. What are the waves kissing in "Moonlight Night: Carmel"?
4. What did the speaker do with his nickel in "Midnight Raffle"?
5. How does the speaker describe the plants in "Garden"?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)