|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What race was Langston Hughes?
(b) African American.
2. In "Water-Front Streets," where does the speaker claim to carry "beauties"?
(a) In his mind and soul.
(b) In his photo album.
(c) In his heart and dreams.
(d) In his diary.
3. What kind of pain does the woman feel in "Strange Hurt"?
(a) A "Godlike" pain.
(b) A "silent" pain.
(c) A "heart" pain.
(d) A "queer" pain.
4. In the poem "Feet o' Jesus," what does the author want to happen at Jesus's feet?
(a) God to give him riches.
(b) God to show mercy.
(c) His crops to sprout.
(d) His wife to say yes to his marriage proposal.
5. Which continent features most prominently in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
(d) South America.
6. When was "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes" published?
7. What is missing from the wall in "End"?
(b) Plans for what to do if there is a fire in the building.
8. Who sends the speaker a letter in "Personal"?
(a) The devil.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
9. Which two countries are mentioned in "Seascape"?
(a) Peru and England.
(b) Ireland and England.
(c) Peru and Cuba.
(d) American and Russia.
10. What did the speaker's lover also pawn when he/she pawned the speaker's watch?
11. Where is the speaker stuck between in "Border Line"?
(a) Living and dying.
(b) His wife's house and his girlfriend's house.
(c) A rock and a hard place.
(d) Harlem and Queens.
12. What did the speaker's lover do in "Late Last Night" that caused his/her heart to break?
(a) Had an affair.
(b) Look at him/her cross-eyed.
(c) Lost all their money gambling.
13. Where does the speaker think the distance is between "here and there" in the poem "Border Line"?
(b) The red line of the subway.
(c) In his own mind.
14. What is the sign that the speaker of "Bad Morning" is indeed having a bad morning?
(a) A note from his lover saying she's leaving.
(b) Mismated shoes.
(c) Too many bills on the kitchen table.
(d) A broken-down car.
15. What is one way Sylvester knows he is dying in "Sylvester's Dying Bed"?
(a) He hears Jesus talking to him.
(b) He saw it earlier in a dream.
(c) He doesn't feel any more pain.
(d) He sees the River Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is NOT mentioned in any of the poems in "Sea and Land"?
2. What does the speaker comment about one's sweetheart in "Reverie on the Harlem River"?
3. What inappropriate fashion item do the pimps wear in "What?"
4. Who is playing music in "The Weary Blues"?
5. In "As I Grew Older," what does the speaker say he had nearly forgotten?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)