|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of music are tambourines often used in?
(a) Gospel music.
(b) Classical music.
(c) Irish music.
(d) Traditional Chinese music.
2. What supernatural figure appears in the poem "Sunday Morning Prophecy"?
3. What did the speaker's lover also pawn when he/she pawned the speaker's watch?
4. Where is the speaker stuck between in "Border Line"?
(a) His wife's house and his girlfriend's house.
(b) Harlem and Queens.
(c) Living and dying.
(d) A rock and a hard place.
5. What does the speaker see in "Seascape"?
(a) "The faces of children, dreaming of sweets."
(b) "A line of fishing ships."
(c) "A row of soldiers on the shore."
(d) "My own future, going down with the ship."
6. What "mellows to a golden note" in "Trumpet Player"?
7. In the poem "Fire," who does the author say he has had more women than?
(a) Than Pharoah had wives.
(b) Than the president had votes.
(c) Than the gardener had tomatoes.
(d) Than the forest had trees.
8. What does Big Boy want his woman to share with him in "50-50"?
(a) Her bed -- and her whole house.
(b) Her bed -- and her money.
(c) Her house -- and her new car.
(d) Her kitchen -- and her garden.
9. What does the speaker comment about one's mother in "Reverie on the Harlem River"?
(a) That she is always nagging him.
(b) That she is dead and gone.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) That there was no one like her.
10. Who is the congregation crying out to in "Shout"?
(b) The other church across the street.
(c) The newspaper reporter.
(d) The couple getting married that day.
11. Who selected the poems in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
(a) Langston Hughes himself.
(b) His wife.
(c) His editor.
(d) His mom.
12. What is Big Boy going to do with the object on his shoulders in "Catch"?
(a) Drop him off at school.
(b) Sell it at the market.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Leave it at God's doorstep.
13. Where does the speaker think the distance is between "here and there" in the poem "Border Line"?
(b) In his own mind.
(c) The red line of the subway.
14. Who sends the speaker a letter in "Personal"?
(a) His mother.
(b) The devil.
(d) His wife.
15. What annoying habit of his Baby does the speaker address in "Morning After"?
(c) Leaving dishes out all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inanimate object speaks in "Heaven"?
2. Where does the playboy mentioned in "Gone Boy" NOT go at the end of the poem?
3. What does the title "Litany" refer to?
4. What did the speaker do with his nickel in "Midnight Raffle"?
5. What are the tambourines being played for in "Tambourines"?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)