|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section XI: Madam to You.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the speaker in "Mother to Son" claim her life has NOT been?
(a) "No happy path."
(b) "No easy train to ride."
(c) "No happy tune."
(d) "No crystal stair."
2. What is the speaker tired of in "One-Way Ticket"?
(a) People who are afraid of him.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Jim Crow laws.
3. How are the poems in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes" organized?
(a) By thematic section.
(c) By publication date.
4. What caused Madam to abandon her barbecue stand?
(a) A fire from her huge barbecue pit.
(b) Being mixed up with a no-good man.
(c) She just got bored and tired with it.
5. In "As I Grew Older," what does the speaker say he had nearly forgotten?
(a) His dream.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which color hands are NOT mentioned in "Daybreak in Alabama"?
2. What would the speaker in "Young Gal's Blues" rather be dead than?
3. Where does the playboy mentioned in "Gone Boy" NOT go at the end of the poem?
4. Where is Miss Gardner in "Southern Mammy Sings"?
5. What are the waves kissing in "Moonlight Night: Carmel"?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)