|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III: Shadow of the Blues.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of music are tambourines often used in?
(a) Irish music.
(b) Gospel music.
(c) Classical music.
(d) Traditional Chinese music.
2. Who shows the speaker a bad luck card in "Bad Luck Card"?
(a) A random person on the street.
(b) A priest.
(c) A relative.
(d) A gypsy.
3. What is Hughes known as being the originator of?
(a) African American poetry.
(b) Jazz poetry.
(c) Slam poetry.
(d) Modernist poetry.
4. What time does the speaker mention going down to the river in "Reverie on the Harlem River"?
(a) Three p.m.
(b) Two a.m.
(c) Five a.m.
(d) Ten p.m.
5. In the poem "Feet o' Jesus," what does the author want to happen at Jesus's feet?
(a) His wife to say yes to his marriage proposal.
(b) His crops to sprout.
(c) God to give him riches.
(d) God to show mercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Fire," what does the author think fire is going to do?
2. What is the title of the poem about John Brown in the "Afro-American Fragments" section?
3. In "Sunday Morning Prophecy," where does the preacher encourage the congregants to give freely?
4. What does the title "Litany" refer to?
5. What nickname does Sylvester give himself in "Sylvester's Dying Bed"?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)