|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III: Shadow of the Blues.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "Spirituals," what strong items does the speaker look to put his hands on?
(a) The rising shaft of mountains.
(c) The firm roots of trees.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
2. Where does Aunt Sue get her stories from in "Aunt Sue's Stories"?
(a) The radio.
(b) A book.
(c) The TV.
(d) Her own life.
3. What is Hughes known as being the originator of?
(a) Modernist poetry.
(b) Jazz poetry.
(c) African American poetry.
(d) Slam poetry.
4. Who is the congregation crying out to in "Shout"?
(b) The newspaper reporter.
(c) The couple getting married that day.
(d) The other church across the street.
5. Where does Hughes get the title "Feet of Jesus" from for that particular section in "Selected Poems of Langston Hughes"?
(a) A popular TV show of the time.
(b) A poem of the same name.
(c) His favorite Jazz song.
(d) His mother's favorite phrases.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one way Sylvester knows he is dying in "Sylvester's Dying Bed"?
2. What major era did Hughes contribute to?
3. What nickname does Sylvester give himself in "Sylvester's Dying Bed"?
4. What is "Prayer Meeting" an example of?
5. In "As I Grew Older," what does the speaker say he had nearly forgotten?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)