|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is Lady Alustriel?
2. What do the men do as Bensell gives them new orders?
3. Who is with Belwar Dissengulp while he is waiting in Chapter Twelve?
4. What happens to the creature who knocked Bruenor over?
5. How is Lady Alustriel wounded?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady Alustriel do at the beginning of the battle and for what are her knights responsible?
2. What does Bensell do that makes the Knights in Silvers' jobs more difficult?
3. What does Belwar think about as the drow armies advance?
4. What does Drizzt discuss in his letter before Chapter Seventeen about the dwarfs and what does he say about them?
5. How is Berg'inyon feeling about the battle and what does Matron Baenre do about it?
6. What is Lady Alustriel considering about her home city as she watches her knights battle drow?
7. Why does Lady Alustriel finally enter the battle, what does she do, and what happens to her when she does?
8. What does Baenre decide to do after she learns that Uthegental has been killed?
9. How does Matron Baenre finally punish K'yorl?
10. For what is Bidderdoo responsible during the attack and what happens with him and the kobold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Drizzt is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Siege of Darkness and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't always succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Drizzt who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person. Illustrate your statements with examples from the text.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
SIEGE OF DARKNESS is one book in a series of novels involving Drizzt and many other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze one major theme of SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Consider the following: How does one character's actions portray the theme you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to that theme? Is the theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
2. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of SIEGE OF DARKNESS. How does one character's actions portray the themes you are analyzing? How does the setting contribute to those themes? Is each theme one that you would call a "universal theme"? If so, what other book or novel that you have read also includes this theme. If not, why don't you think it is a "universal" theme?
3. What benefit is there in discussing and analyzing the themes of a work of fiction? Do you think most authors consciously develop themes in their works? Why or why not? Can there be accidental themes? What do you think is one possible "accidental" theme in SIEGE OF DARKNESS? Which theme in SIEGE OF DARKNESS speaks to you the most in your life? Why?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)