|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men do as Bensell gives them new orders?
2. What does Drizzt do to the figurine in Chapter Thirteen?
3. How is Bensell killed?
4. What do the drows do at the beginning of Chapter Seventeen?
5. What happens when a drow tries to shoot Drizzt with a crossbow as he is battling the creature from question #149?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Berg'inyon feeling about the battle and what does Matron Baenre do about it?
2. What has Uthegental been told to do about Blingdenstone but what does he do? What does he find?
3. What does Drizzt do with the figurine in Chapter Thirteen?
4. Why does Lady Alustriel finally enter the battle, what does she do, and what happens to her when she does?
5. What is Lady Alustriel considering about her home city as she watches her knights battle drow?
6. What does Drizzt discuss in his letter before Chapter Seventeen about the dwarfs and what does he say about them?
7. Who are the first group on the dwarf side to see battle and what kind of different weapon do they use?
8. Why might those in Keeper's Dale have a rough battle?
9. How is Drizzt almost killed when he is battling a Minotau and how is he saved?
10. What does Belwar think about as the drow armies advance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book is more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Siege of Darkness is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of Belwar being relieved when he learns the city of Bingdenstone has been attacked. Find two other instances of irony and analyze them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from SIEGE OF DARKNESS. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in SIEGE OF DARKNESS and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible devices: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Drizzt and Matron Baenre. Include their goals, sense of honor, abilities and social skills.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lady Alustriel and Berkthgar.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Drizzt discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)