|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catti-brie do when she finds out the drow are on their way?
2. What does Baenre do in front of the crowd?
3. Who joins the four people fighting with Drizzt?
4. What is Lady Alustriel doing in Chapter Twenty-Two as she watches the battle?
5. Who does Sumpet order to join the battle at Keeper's Dale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might those in Keeper's Dale have a rough battle?
2. How is Berg'inyon feeling about the battle and what does Matron Baenre do about it?
3. What is Lady Alustriel considering about her home city as she watches her knights battle drow?
4. What does Bensell do that makes the Knights in Silvers' jobs more difficult?
5. What does Drizzt do with the figurine in Chapter Thirteen?
6. Why does Lady Alustriel finally enter the battle, what does she do, and what happens to her when she does?
7. What does Baenre decide to do after she learns that Uthegental has been killed?
8. Describe how Uthegental is killed.
9. What does Drizzt discuss in his prologue to Chapter Twenty-Three?
10. What has Uthegental been told to do about Blingdenstone but what does he do? What does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Drizzt is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Drizzt demonstrates his prodigious powers of military strategy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Drizzt's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Drizzt's admirable traits helped him become accepted in a society that is not his place of origin. Have his flaws impacted his life at all? Do any of those under his command seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of SIEGE OF DARKNESS, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Drizzt and Matron Baenre. Include their goals, sense of honor, abilities and social skills.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lady Alustriel and Berkthgar.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Drizzt discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)