|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Bidderdoo as he is working a spell?
2. What is Alustriel thinking about at the beginning of Chapter Twenty-Five?
3. What does Matron Baenre find amusing about her song and Uthegental?
4. Who is responsible for casting a spell that will cause the ceilings of the tunnels to collapse?
5. In Drizzt's prologue to Chapter Twelve, what does Drizzt say is difficult for him to do in relation to Catti-brie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the first group on the dwarf side to see battle and what kind of different weapon do they use?
2. What has Uthegental been told to do about Blingdenstone but what does he do? What does he find?
3. What does Drizzt discuss in his prologue to Chapter Twenty-Three?
4. What does Drizzt do when he goes to where Catti-brie is practicing her sword? What does he notice about her sword?
5. Why does Lady Alustriel finally enter the battle, what does she do, and what happens to her when she does?
6. How do Pwent and his men help Bidderdoo fulfill his mission?
7. Why does Errtu decide to obey Lolth?
8. What is Lady Alustriel considering about her home city as she watches her knights battle drow?
9. Why is the way to the west closed to Bensell?
10. How is Berg'inyon feeling about the battle and what does Matron Baenre do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of Belwar being relieved when he learns the city of Bingdenstone has been attacked. Find two other instances of irony and analyze them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from SIEGE OF DARKNESS. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in SIEGE OF DARKNESS and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible devices: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? What does Lady Alustriel gain from her sacrifice?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of SIEGE OF DARKNESS seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Drizzt and Matron Baenre. Include their goals, sense of honor, abilities and social skills.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lady Alustriel and Berkthgar.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Drizzt discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)