|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to K'yorl when the magic returns?
2. What is Lady Alustriel doing in Chapter Twenty-Two as she watches the battle?
3. What does Catti-brie do when she finds out the drow are on their way?
4. What does Drizzt see as the main failing of the drow soldiers?
5. Where is K'yorl when Baenre calls her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Uthegental is killed.
2. What is Lady Alustriel considering about her home city as she watches her knights battle drow?
3. Why does Lady Alustriel finally enter the battle, what does she do, and what happens to her when she does?
4. How do Pwent and his men help Bidderdoo fulfill his mission?
5. What does Drizzt decide about Catti-brie and her battles?
6. Who are the first group on the dwarf side to see battle and what kind of different weapon do they use?
7. Why does Jarlaxle decide to let Matron Baenre go ahead with her battle plans?
8. How does Baenre know what to do about K'yorl and what does the sulfur enable her to do?
9. What does Belwar think about as the drow armies advance?
10. Why does Errtu decide to obey Lolth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Drizzt is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Drizzt demonstrates his prodigious powers of military strategy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Drizzt's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Drizzt's admirable traits helped him become accepted in a society that is not his place of origin. Have his flaws impacted his life at all? Do any of those under his command seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 2
SIEGE OF DARKNESS, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of SIEGE OF DARKNESS and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why SIEGE OF DARKNESS is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty is demonstrated in a number of ways, as is the lack of loyalty. There seems to be a great deal of loyalty in the dwarf community and very little in the drow one. Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? Cause? Country? Idea? What of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, country, etc... -in other words, blind loyalty.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Drizzt is loyal to Bruenor. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in Siege of Darkness? What about the characters loyalty to their gods?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty occur in Siege of Darkness? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)