|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where are Catti-brie and Drizzt traveling at the beginning of Chapter Two?
2. How has House Oblodran's magic been affected?
3. At what are the dwarves busy doing?
4. What does Drizzt think about the gods allowing people to see them?
5. What is the name of the sword Catti-brie carries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uthegental Armgo visit Jarlaxle?
2. What are Firble and Belwar doing in the tunnels? What does Belwar want to do in the tunnels?
3. Who visits Jarlaxle in Chapter Ten and why?
4. From where does Errtu watch the combat between the House mothers and what would he like to happen?
5. Who saves Matron Baenre from K'yorl and what does K'yorl do?
6. What are the dwarves in the heart of Mithral Hall doing in Chapter Two?
7. What does Gromph ask Jarlaxle and what does Jarlaxle tell him?
8. Why is Errtu angry at Lolth and what does she promise him?
9. What does Matron Baenre do in a fit of rage and what is the result of her actions?
10. Why is Harkle Harpell's eyes at King Battlehammer's hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of SIEGE OF DARKNESS, much of the setting is familiar to the reader, though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the SIEGE OF DARKNESS world that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in the Siege of Darkness's world. Define the words as used in the SIEGE OF DARKNESS world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of the SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in SIEGE OF DARKNESS? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from SIEGE OF DARKNESS? Which ones?
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is demonstrated in a number of ways, as is the lack of loyalty. There seems to be a great deal of loyalty in the dwarf community and very little in the drow one. Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? Cause? Country? Idea? What of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, country, etc... -in other words, blind loyalty.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Drizzt is loyal to Bruenor. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in Siege of Darkness? What about the characters loyalty to their gods?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty occur in Siege of Darkness? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Drizzt is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Siege of Darkness and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't always succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Drizzt who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person. Illustrate your statements with examples from the text.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)