|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catti-brie tell Battlehammer before she leaves?
2. Who is Lolth looking for in the Prologue?
3. What does Drizzt think is the reason gods allow mortals to see them?
4. What does Matron Baenre want Methil to do in Chapter 7?
5. What does Catti-brie settle with Battlehammer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Firble and Belwar doing in the tunnels? What does Belwar want to do in the tunnels?
2. Who saves Matron Baenre from K'yorl and what does K'yorl do?
3. What does Matron Baenre ask of Methil for her daughters and what happens?
4. What does Gromph ask Jarlaxle and what does Jarlaxle tell him?
5. What is Catti-brie's sword's name, how did she get the sword and what does the sword want?
6. From where does Errtu watch the combat between the House mothers and what would he like to happen?
7. What happens when Berg'inyon parries with an elf and how do the others react? Why to they react that way?
8. In Chapter Nine why does Matron Baenre hold a meeting with her children and what does she tell them?
9. How does Berkthgar act during his duel with Catti-brie and what is the result of the duel?
10. What does Lolth tell Errtu about the pantheon and the future and what does she fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In SIEGE OF DARKNESS, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles/use of magic in SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Matron Baenre violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just? Wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? What does Lady Alustriel gain from her sacrifice?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of SIEGE OF DARKNESS seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel is probably more action driven rather than character driven, obviously there are several characters who make the novel what it is. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Drizzt and Matron Baenre. Include their goals, sense of honor, abilities and social skills.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lady Alustriel and Berkthgar.
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Drizzt discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)