|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jarlaxle think about the possibility of a second deity?
2. When was the chapel of Menzoberranzan's First House damaged?
3. At what are the dwarves busy doing?
4. What do Catti-brie and Drizzt say to Thibbledorf?
5. What does Uthegental Armgo think is the basis of the problems in Menzoberranzan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catti-brie's sword's name, how did she get the sword and what does the sword want?
2. What does Lolth tell Errtu about the pantheon and the future and what does she fear?
3. Who visits Matron Baenre in Chapter Ten and what does she tell her? What does she give her and why?
4. Who do Catti-brie and Drizzt talk to as they travel in Chapter Two, what do they ask him, what is his response and what does Drizzt promise him?
5. What do the Matrons do at the gathering to prepare for K'yorl?
6. How does Berkthgar respond when Drizzt and Catti-brie are explaining why they have come and what is Catti-brie's response?
7. What are Jarlaxle's thoughts on the discussion he had with Gromph after Gromph leaves him?
8. What happens when Berg'inyon parries with an elf and how do the others react? Why to they react that way?
9. What are Firble and Belwar doing in the tunnels? What does Belwar want to do in the tunnels?
10. From where does Errtu watch the combat between the House mothers and what would he like to happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Drizzt is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Siege of Darkness and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't always succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Drizzt who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person. Illustrate your statements with examples from the text.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In SIEGE OF DARKNESS, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles/use of magic in SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Matron Baenre violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just? Wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
Essay Topic 3
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of SIEGE OF DARKNESS, much of the setting is familiar to the reader, though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the SIEGE OF DARKNESS world that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in the Siege of Darkness's world. Define the words as used in the SIEGE OF DARKNESS world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of the SIEGE OF DARKNESS. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in SIEGE OF DARKNESS? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from SIEGE OF DARKNESS? Which ones?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)