|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Berg'inyon from killing Matron Baenre?
2. What does Drizzt think about the gods allowing people to see them?
3. Who keeps a gate to Menzoberranzan open?
4. Who is Lolth looking for in the Prologue?
5. How has House Oblodran's magic been affected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Firble and Belwar doing in the tunnels? What does Belwar want to do in the tunnels?
2. Who visits Matron Baenre in Chapter Ten and what does she tell her? What does she give her and why?
3. What does Lolth tell Errtu about the pantheon and the future and what does she fear?
4. What do Drizzt and Catti-brie do in Chapter Three at the beginning, who does he call, how does he call it and what do they when they finish?
5. What does Matron Baenre do in a fit of rage and what is the result of her actions?
6. How does Berkthgar respond when Drizzt and Catti-brie are explaining why they have come and what is Catti-brie's response?
7. What happens when Berg'inyon parries with an elf and how do the others react? Why to they react that way?
8. At the beginning of the book why is Errtu angered and what does Errtu believe?
9. Who do Catti-brie and Drizzt talk to as they travel in Chapter Two, what do they ask him, what is his response and what does Drizzt promise him?
10. What are Jarlaxle's thoughts on the discussion he had with Gromph after Gromph leaves him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the conclusion of a novel, most readers either consciously or unconsciously engage in processing the book and usually come to a conclusion as to whether they like the book or not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Would you consider SIEGE OF DARKNESS a "good" book? Why or why not? Use examples to illustrate your stance.
2. What do you think are the elements of an outstanding novel? Analyze one of your favorite novels to see if those elements are present.
3. What are some reasons you might consider a novel a failure? Analyze a novel you think is a failure and see if those elements are in that novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of Belwar being relieved when he learns the city of Bingdenstone has been attacked. Find two other instances of irony and analyze them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from SIEGE OF DARKNESS. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in SIEGE OF DARKNESS and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible devices: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of SIEGE OF DARKNESS, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)