|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Berg'inyon think the trouble with the fence is?
2. How does K'yorl plan to react to the problems with magic?
3. How has House Oblodran's magic been affected?
4. What does Jarlaxle plan to do about what is amiss in Menzoberranzan?
5. With whom does Firble decide to set up a meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Drizzt do about his panther, how does the figurine respond and what does Catti-brie do? What is the end result for the panther?
2. How does Berkthgar act during his duel with Catti-brie and what is the result of the duel?
3. What happens when Berg'inyon parries with an elf and how do the others react? Why to they react that way?
4. How does Berkthgar respond when Drizzt and Catti-brie are explaining why they have come and what is Catti-brie's response?
5. What are the dwarves in the heart of Mithral Hall doing in Chapter Two?
6. Why is Errtu angry at Lolth and what does she promise him?
7. What are the artisans in Mithral Hall doing about the figurine? How are they doing it?
8. What do the Matrons do at the gathering to prepare for K'yorl?
9. Who saves Matron Baenre from K'yorl and what does K'yorl do?
10. Who do Catti-brie and Drizzt talk to as they travel in Chapter Two, what do they ask him, what is his response and what does Drizzt promise him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In SIEGE OF DARKNESS there are other sentient beings besides humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient, non-human beings.
2. Do you think most of the the non-human, sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human, sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Drizzt is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Siege of Darkness and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't always succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Drizzt who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person. Illustrate your statements with examples from the text.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposed for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)