|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irwin takes his lead from master artist _____________, who in creating a multitude of paintings always uses the same subjects--a set of bottles.
2. Robert was a ______________ child who could perceive danger and cope with it.
3. Both parents found Robert a ______ to raise.
(a) Simple child.
4. Irwin is called back to active duty in the Army during what?
(a) The Gulf War.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) The Cold War.
5. What is L.A.'s funky, avant-garde community of artists?
(a) The Felix Gallery.
(b) The Ferris Gallery.
(c) The Furmann Gallery.
(d) The Ferus Gallery.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Irwin, a painting's gestural integrity is unyieldingly connected to what?
2. Although there was an innate pride in his son's modern art, Overton____________ it less than his wife.
3. This period chronicles Irwin's transformation from abstract impressionist to ________________ artisan.
4. By the late '60s he creates rooms devoid of what?
5. From what competitions does Irwin average $100 per week in prize money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Irwin love as a teen?
2. Describe Robert's artistic process.
3. Describe Irwin's parents.
4. Describe the community in which Robert Irwin grew up.
5. Who is Joan Tewkesbury?
6. Describe Irwin's liberal thinking.
7. What did critics say about Irwin's work at this time?
8. What leads Irwin to his "early line painting" phase?
9. How were cars important to Irwin and his friends?
10. What leads Irwin from lines to dots?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)