|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irwin feels he got his drive to accomplish from whom?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
2. Why does Irwin paint his dots in precise dimensions that form the allusion of a perfect square within the canvas--drawing attention away from the edges?
(a) He does not like to use the entire canvas.
(b) He is not pleased with the imperfect edges of his dot paintings.
(c) He does not like painting dots.
(d) He wants the entire dot to be visible.
3. How does Robert wind up in Europe?
(a) He visits friends.
(b) He is transferred to the regular Army due to an injury.
(c) He attends college in Paris.
(d) He runs out of money in Rome.
4. How much of an effect do the repercussions from World War II have upon Irwin and his buddies?
(b) Very little.
(c) Extremely large.
(d) Quite large.
5. What is L.A.'s funky, avant-garde community of artists?
(a) The Ferus Gallery.
(b) The Furmann Gallery.
(c) The Ferris Gallery.
(d) The Felix Gallery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irwin's ultimate goal is to create a work that is unified and consistent in what?
2. Irwin's mother confirms that her son does not like to think of what?
3. It is during his association with this gallery that Irwin evolves from a figurative painter to what?
4. Although many art critics disagree, Irwin connects his love of what to his later emergence as an artist--especially in the realm of folk art?
5. Although there was an innate pride in his son's modern art, Overton____________ it less than his wife.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Irwin's time as an art student at Otis Art Institute.
2. What did Irwin love as a teen?
3. Describe Irwin's parents.
4. How does Irwin end up in the military?
5. What is Robert's connection to Asian philosophies?
6. After his second tour of duty, what does Robert do? How does he feel about this?
7. How do those who grow up in this community view the world?
8. What takes place between 1962 and 1964?
9. What leads Irwin to his "early line painting" phase?
10. What did Irwin's parents think of his art?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)