|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine's return to the mansion represent?
2. Who beats up Cindy's boyfriend?
3. What did Toni discover in Jory's room?
4. To whom does Cindy reveal that Bart took her after he beat up her boyfriend?
5. What does the "garden in the sky" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bart say about sin?
2. What is the significance of Jory's illness?
3. What does the "Garden in the sky" refer to in Catherine's childhood?
4. How does Melodie feel about and react to having twins?
5. Is Bart insane? Explain.
6. Describe the double standards existing in Bart's life.
7. Describe Toni and Bart's relationship.
8. Who do you think broke Jory's ship? Why do you think this is so?
9. What changes the relationship between Bart and Toni?
10. What is Catherine's life goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Catherine dies, is she happy? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
What would you say is the central conflict of this novel? Is it Bart's psychological torture? Is it Catherine being torn between her children? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What does Catherine's "garden in the sky" refer to? Why is it an important theme in the story? At the end of the story when Catherine is dead, what does it symbolize?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)