|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Toni, who does Bart want a wife like?
2. What does Toni overhear the twins discussing in Book Three: Heaven Can't Wait?
3. What does Cindy do for her family at Christmas?
4. Who delivers Melodie's children?
5. What does the "garden in the sky" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Bart or Joel is trying to kill Jory? Why?
2. What does the "Garden in the sky" refer to in Catherine's childhood?
3. How has Catherine's life goal been achieved by the end of the novel?
4. Why does Catherine's strength shock Bart?
5. Is Bart insane? Explain.
6. Why doesn't anybody come to Bart's Christmas party?
7. Describe the double standards existing in Bart's life.
8. What is Catherine's life goal?
9. What type of offensive sermon does Joel give in the chapel?
10. What is significant about Chris's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is background information so significant to this story? If Catherine did not provide background information to the reader, how would the novel suffer? What does background information help the reader understand?
Essay Topic 2
Is Melodie selfish? Does she fault herself for Jory's accident? Does this explain some of her selfishness? Are Melodie's actions justifiable?
Essay Topic 3
What does Catherine's "garden in the sky" refer to? Why is it an important theme in the story? At the end of the story when Catherine is dead, what does it symbolize?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)