|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delivers Melodie's children?
2. Who does Chris offer to transfer his position as trustee to?
3. How does Catherine feel at the end of the novel?
4. What made Bart jealous on New Years Eve?
5. What type of building does Bart begin construction on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Bart or Joel is trying to kill Jory? Why?
2. What does Catherine think about Bart's eulogy?
3. Describe the double standards existing in Bart's life.
4. In what way does Catherine encourage Bart?
5. What is significant about Chris's death?
6. Why does Catherine refer to "escape" when referring to leaving the mansion?
7. How does Joel react to Toni and Bart's relationship?
8. What are the similarities between Catherine and Toni?
9. What is Bart's reaction to Cindy having a boyfriend?
10. What type of offensive sermon does Joel give in the chapel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Catherine's "garden in the sky" refer to? Why is it an important theme in the story? At the end of the story when Catherine is dead, what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Foxworth Hall is a significant location to the events that occur in the novel. Why is it so important? What is significant about the abuse that took place there? What does Foxworth Hall represent and foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
Bart has obvious contempt for his family. What does his criticism stem from? Who is Bart most angry at and why? What started his trauma?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)