|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is able to stop Jory from bleeding?
2. When Cindy overheard one of Bart's phone calls, who was he talking to?
3. Who does Catherine feel she needs to protect everybody from?
4. How old were Cory and Carrie when they were locked in the attic?
5. What does Melodie think caused Jory's accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bart's search for success.
2. What is Catherine's reaction to Melodie revealing her affair with Bart?
3. Why is Bart making advances toward Melodie?
4. What is the reader left to wonder about Bart after Jory's accident?
5. Is Melodie selfish? Why or why not?
6. Describe Bart's relationship with his family.
7. Who does Jory blame for Melodie and Bart's affair and why?
8. Why is Bart angry about his grandmother's will?
9. Describe Bart's self-esteem.
10. How does Catherine try to protect Jory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Catherine dies, is she happy? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Bart so preoccupied with sin? What is Bart's moral code?
Essay Topic 3
What would you say is the central conflict of this novel? Is it Bart's psychological torture? Is it Catherine being torn between her children? Why?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)