|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jory's accident, who refuses to visit the hospital?
2. Who tells Bart that he or she hates the ballet being performed at his party?
3. When Catherine is looking for Melodie to bring her to Jory, who is she with?
4. How does Joel describe the ballet costume?
5. What does Bart make for Melodie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine's reaction to Melodie revealing her affair with Bart?
2. How do Catherine and Chris feel about their secrets?
3. Describe Bart's search for success.
4. What is the reader left to wonder about Bart after Jory's accident?
5. After Jory is injured, how does his future look?
6. How does Catherine try to protect Jory?
7. Why is Bart making advances toward Melodie?
8. Why does Jory's recovery give Catherine flashbacks?
9. Describe Bart's self-esteem.
10. Why is the first person point of view the best way to tell this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Catherine's "garden in the sky" refer to? Why is it an important theme in the story? At the end of the story when Catherine is dead, what does it symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Chris died? What does this mean for the rest of the family? When Bart delivers an appropriate eulogy, what does this symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
How do Bart and Joel become inseparable? Why does this happen? Is this more of a testament to Joel's strength and motivation or Bart's weakness? Why?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)