|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Royce sleep in the garden?
2. What did Sae Young and her husband wait for that never arrived?
3. What does the sign Curtis creates say?
4. What does Amir find himself doing with Royce and another?
5. What begins to happen to Curtis’ plants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Virgil’s father lie to Mrs. Fleck, and what does he say?
2. Explain Sae Young’s life prior to her “accident”?
3. Why does Nora want to tell the tourists of the garden?
4. Explain what Curtis does to thwart off the thieves.
5. What is Mr. Myles’ reaction to the garden?
6. What does Amir learn about his misconceptions of cultures?
7. Explain why Virgil becomes angry and ashamed at his father.
8. What is Curtis’ reaction to his tomato plants?
9. What is Curtis trying to show through the growth of the tomatoes?
10. Why does Virgil eventually feel pity for his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the characters to intertwine with one another? Going back through the novel, can you see links in each story to other characters? Give at least four examples of this. Why do you think the character added some of these connected details?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Sam makes a conscious effort to make the neighborhood friendlier. Choose three times in the novel where another character mentions Sam, and explain how his efforts have helped the community. Why do you think Sam tries to improve his neighborhood? Are his efforts successful?
Essay Topic 3
Sae Young has had a very difficult life, as has Wendell. Compare the lives of these two characters, and their reactions to those lives. How do their very difference experiences lead them to the same place? What does this say about human tragedy, and our responses to such tragedies?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)