|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What praise does the Italian woman give to Amir?
2. What does Virgil’s father do in America?
3. Why did Sae Young and her husband find the business they bought in the U.S. their best option?
4. How does Virgil know his mother’s father does not have a plot?
5. What is the winning solution to Sam’s contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened to make Sae Young afraid of the world.
2. Explain why Virgil becomes angry and ashamed at his father.
3. Why does Virgil eventually feel pity for his father?
4. Explain Sae Young’s life prior to her “accident”?
5. Describe what Nora does to allow Mr. Myles to garden.
6. Explain what Curtis does to thwart off the thieves.
7. Describe Curtis, as he is now, in terms of his priorities.
8. What is Mr. Myles’ reaction to the garden?
9. Why does Virgil’s father lie to Mrs. Fleck, and what does he say?
10. Why does everyone in the garden want to help the girls in the chapter “Maricela”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kim and Curtis both use the garden to prove something. Discuss these characters in detail, and explain what the garden is helping them to prove, either to themselves, or to others, living or deceased. What are these characters able to show through their gardening? How are they able to connect to their loved ones?
Essay Topic 2
Gonzalo learns a valuable lesson in the novel as he witnesses his father being less than perfect. This moment has a profound impact on him in the book, as his emotions follow the realization. Explain how Gonzalo’s processing of his father’s imperfections leads him to an understanding about his father. What did Gonzalo learn?
Essay Topic 3
What does the title mean? How is it used in the book? How are the pioneers of the garden “Seedfolks”? What did their efforts mean to the community? How did they enhance their environment?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)