|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gonzalo find Tio Juan?
2. What lake can Ana see?
3. What does Sam note at the end of his Chapter about the garden?
4. Why does Wendell ring the plant with dirt?
5. How does Ana measure the passing time in her neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leona finally convince the city officials to meet with her?
2. Why do you think Tio Juan becomes “childish” in the book?
3. What are Leona’s experiences with calling the city?
4. What is the “Garcia Equation”?
5. Why do you think Ana attempts to correct her mistake?
6. What does Wendell mean when he discusses the phrase “And a little child shall lead them”?
7. How do the plants give Wendell hope?
8. What is the problem with water in the lot, and how does Sam deal with it?
9. Do you think Ana was right to go dig up something she thought was trouble?
10. At the end of this chapter “Sam,” why does Sam claim the garden is a reflection of Cleveland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of Kim in the novel? She is present in the opening of the novel as the pioneer of the garden, and she is the first at the end of the novel to go back and begin planting in the spring. She is also mentioned in Wendell’s chapter as the child who gave him hope. What do you think the significance of this is?
Essay Topic 2
Gonzalo learns a valuable lesson in the novel as he witnesses his father being less than perfect. This moment has a profound impact on him in the book, as his emotions follow the realization. Explain how Gonzalo’s processing of his father’s imperfections leads him to an understanding about his father. What did Gonzalo learn?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Ana and Amir. What are their similarities? What are their differences? How do these characters lead readers to different lessons pertaining to the power of human kind?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)