|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Curtis plant his plants?
(a) Above the ledge.
(b) In the back of Lateesha’s house.
(c) Behind the corn.
(d) In front of Lateesha’s window.
2. What surprises Virgil about his father?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is ambitious.
(c) He lies.
(d) He is afraid.
3. What did Lateesha do when she learned of Curtis’ other women?
(a) She moved away.
(b) She cried.
(c) She left him.
(d) She begged him to stay with her.
4. What is Curtis’ point in growing his specific plants?
(a) He wants the attention.
(b) He can provide for Lateesha.
(c) He can learn to grow things.
(d) He isn’t just muscles.
5. What did Sae Young and her husband wait for that never arrived?
(a) Monetary assistance.
(b) A wave of building expansion in the area.
(d) A higher income.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Virgil’s father give for planting multiple areas?
2. Why does everyone give Maricela advice?
3. Why does Virgil’s dad want to plant a garden?
4. What begins to happen to Curtis’ plants?
5. What does Sae Young grow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of the program for teen mothers?
2. Why does Nora want to tell the tourists of the garden?
3. Explain what happens during the rainstorm.
4. What happens to the lettuce in the chapter “Virgil”?
5. What causes Sae Young to feel a part of the community again?
6. Describe Sam’s contest, and the winning idea.
7. What does Amir learn about his misconceptions of cultures?
8. Why does everyone in the garden want to help the girls in the chapter “Maricela”?
9. What brings Sae Young back out into the world, and why?
10. Why does Virgil’s father lie to Mrs. Fleck, and what does he say?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)