|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Virgil’s father do in America?
(a) He drives a garbage truck.
(b) He drives a bus.
(c) He drives a taxi.
(d) He drives an ambulance.
2. What does Maricela pray for?
(a) A husband.
(b) A healthy baby.
(c) New parents.
(d) A miscarriage.
3. Why does Penny involve the garden?
(a) She is trying to help the mothers grow food.
(b) She is trying to help the mothers learn to appreciate life.
(c) She is trying to help the mothers gain community standing.
(d) She is trying to help the mothers learn discipline.
4. What did Sae Young and her husband buy when they arrived in the U.S.?
(a) A grocery store.
(b) A beauty salon.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A dry cleaning store.
5. What does Curtis grow for Lateesha?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do cats like the garden?
2. Who is the black taxi driver that runs through the garden to water lettuce?
3. What does Mr. Myles command with a wave of his arm?
4. What praise does the Italian woman give to Amir?
5. Who does Maricela meet that she feels she can talk to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Curtis and Lateesha originally broke up.
2. Why does everyone in the garden want to help the girls in the chapter “Maricela”?
3. Why does Virgil’s father lie to Mrs. Fleck, and what does he say?
4. What is Curtis’ reaction to his tomato plants?
5. Explain what Curtis does to thwart off the thieves.
6. What does Amir learn about his misconceptions of cultures?
7. What happens to the lettuce in the chapter “Virgil”?
8. Describe what Nora does to allow Mr. Myles to garden.
9. Describe Curtis, as he is now, in terms of his priorities.
10. Describe Sam’s contest, and the winning idea.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)