|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Virgil’s father give for planting multiple areas?
(a) He is planting for relatives.
(b) He pays a higher rent.
(c) He is experimenting with plants.
(d) He needs to feed his family.
2. Why did Sae Young and her husband find the business they bought in the U.S. their best option?
(a) It didn’t take much money to start.
(b) It was close to home.
(c) They didn’t have to speak English well.
(d) They were paid a higher wage.
3. What does Leona tell Maricela that makes her think differently?
(a) That she shouldn't be ashamed.
(b) That she is pretty.
(c) That she is wrong to be pregnant.
(d) That she is part of a natural system.
4. What does Amir find himself doing with Royce and another?
(a) Selling produce.
(b) Starting a shelter.
(c) Saving a kitten.
(d) Chasing a purse thief.
5. What was Lateesha always talking about?
(b) Leaving Cleveland.
(c) Growing old.
(d) Having a family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sae Young purchase to help in Sam’s contest?
2. What do most of the gardeners plant?
3. Why can Mr. Myles not speak?
4. Why does Virgil’s dad want to plant a garden?
5. Who is the black taxi driver that runs through the garden to water lettuce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Sae Young’s life prior to her “accident”?
2. What is Nora’s relationship with Mr. Myles?
3. What does Amir learn about his misconceptions of cultures?
4. Explain why Curtis and Lateesha originally broke up.
5. Describe Sam’s contest, and the winning idea.
6. What is Curtis trying to show through the growth of the tomatoes?
7. Explain what happens during the rainstorm.
8. Why does Virgil eventually feel pity for his father?
9. What causes Sae Young to feel a part of the community again?
10. What is the point of the program for teen mothers?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)