|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Wendell’s wife die?
(a) She died of old age.
(b) She died of cancer.
(c) She was in a car accident.
(d) She was shot.
2. What is Tio Juan doing when Gonzalo finds him?
(a) Trying to tell Wendell something.
(b) Trying to find Kim.
(c) Trying to water his seeds.
(d) Trying to find plants.
3. What does Wendell do to show the person who frightened him that he means well?
(a) He waters all the plants.
(b) He starts a conversation.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He smiles.
4. What does Sam notice about the gardeners, in terms of location?
(a) The garden only has whites, like the community.
(b) The garden is segregated, like the community.
(c) The garden only has blacks, like the community.
(d) The garden is mixed well in terms of cultural diversity.
5. How does Ana measure the passing time in her neighborhood?
(a) By the amount of garbage in the lot.
(b) By the price of her rent.
(c) By the length of grass in the yard.
(d) By the race and heritage of people moving in and out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Leona tries calling around?
2. What was yesterday, for Kim?
3. What does Kim wonder about her father?
4. What word does Sam use for the garden?
5. Who helps Sam with his water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Ana was right to go dig up something she thought was trouble?
2. Why does Kim plant beans in the vacant lot?
3. What is the “Garcia Equation”?
4. Why do you think Wendell becomes attached to the bean plants, as Ana did?
5. What does Wendell mean when he discusses the phrase “And a little child shall lead them”?
6. Why do you think Ana is so suspicious of Kim?
7. How does Leona finally convince the city officials to meet with her?
8. What tragedies has Wendell experienced, and what are the effects on his life?
9. Why does Gonzalo end up having to “babysit” his uncle?
10. Why do you think Tio Juan becomes “childish” in the book?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)