|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ana buy at the end of the chapter titled “Ana”?
(c) A watering can.
(d) A new cane.
2. What happens when a man throws a bottle into the lot in the chapter “Sam”?
(a) Sam becomes angry.
(b) Someone is shot.
(c) Another man throws the bottle back into an apartment.
(d) Someone is killed.
3. How does Sam get people to open up?
(a) He has a counseling office.
(b) He asks about their children.
(c) He smiles at them.
(d) He asks about their pets.
4. Who does Ana see burying something from her window?
(a) A homeless man.
5. When was the last time Sam had a garden?
(a) He was newly married.
(b) He has never had a garden.
(c) He was still in college.
(d) He was a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sam hire to garden for him?
2. What does Leona notice about the “vacant” lot?
3. How did Gonzalo learn English?
4. What does Kim wonder about her father?
5. Why does Wendell ring the plant with dirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Ana attempts to correct her mistake?
2. At the end of this chapter “Sam,” why does Sam claim the garden is a reflection of Cleveland?
3. How does Leona finally convince the city officials to meet with her?
4. Why does Kim wonder about whether her father sees her?
5. How does Sam try to make people in the neighborhood friendlier?
6. Do you think Ana was right to go dig up something she thought was trouble?
7. Why do you think Tio Juan becomes “childish” in the book?
8. Kim mentions crying for a different reason than her sisters. What does she mean by this?
9. What is the problem with water in the lot, and how does Sam deal with it?
10. How do the plants give Wendell hope?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)