|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maricela pray for?
(a) A miscarriage.
(b) A husband.
(c) A healthy baby.
(d) New parents.
2. What does Virgil’s father promise he will buy?
(a) Tickets to Haiti.
(b) An eighteen-speed bike.
(c) A new house.
(d) A new car.
3. What reason does Virgil’s father give for planting multiple areas?
(a) He pays a higher rent.
(b) He is planting for relatives.
(c) He needs to feed his family.
(d) He is experimenting with plants.
4. Why is Maricela having a difficult time in life?
(a) She is teenaged Mexican girl who is pregnant.
(b) She is a young Vietnamese girl with no father.
(c) She is a middle aged Mexican woman with little education.
(d) She is an old Italian woman with no husband.
5. What is Nora’s cultural heritage?
(a) She is British.
(b) She is Chinese.
(c) She is Russian.
(d) She is Italian.
6. To where did Curtis move?
(a) New York.
(c) Las Vegas.
7. What does the Mexican family do that entices others?
(a) Leave their garden.
(b) Start a fight.
(c) Roast a pig.
(d) Give away vegetables.
8. What does one of the gardens have as a gate door?
(a) A wooden door.
(b) A piece of plastic.
(c) A car door.
(d) Barbed wire.
9. Who created the Biceps R Us nickname?
10. What happens if Nora and Mr. Myles are absent a few days?
(a) Their plot is taken by someone else.
(b) Their plants are cared for by others.
(c) Their plants are stolen.
(d) The other gardeners are worried.
11. Who does Nora ache to tell of the garden?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Mr. Myles.
(c) Her children.
12. What excuse does the Italian woman give for her previous rudeness to Amir?
(a) She didn’t know better.
(b) She hates Middle Easterns.
(c) She hates Indians.
(d) She was afraid.
13. How does Virgil know his mother’s father does not have a plot?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He lives in California.
(c) He is in Mexico.
(d) She doesn’t know her father.
14. Where does Curtis plant his plants?
(a) In front of Lateesha’s window.
(b) Above the ledge.
(c) In the back of Lateesha’s house.
(d) Behind the corn.
15. What does Nora bring for Mr. Myles to plant?
(a) Vegetables and fruit trees.
(b) Fruit trees.
(c) Flowers and fruit trees.
(d) Flowers and vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Virgil’s dad want to plant a garden?
2. What does Sae Young purchase to help in Sam’s contest?
3. What does Sae Young compare the garden community to?
4. Where is Amir from?
5. Why is Virgil embarrassed?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)