|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Curtis begin to worry about?
(d) Being shot.
2. What do most of the gardeners plant?
(a) Food from their native lands.
(b) New foods to try.
3. What does Amir find himself doing with Royce and another?
(a) Starting a shelter.
(b) Saving a kitten.
(c) Chasing a purse thief.
(d) Selling produce.
4. How did Sae Young continue to run the store after being attacked?
(a) She hired a Korean man to run the store.
(b) She pushed herself through it.
(c) She hired a young woman to run the store.
(d) She didn’t, she closed the store.
5. What does Curtis see when he looks up at the end of the chapter “Curtis”?
(a) His mother, smiling at him.
(b) An angel.
(c) Lateesha, watching him.
(d) Another girl, watching him admiringly.
6. What does one of the gardens have as a gate door?
(a) Barbed wire.
(b) A wooden door.
(c) A car door.
(d) A piece of plastic.
7. Who created the Biceps R Us nickname?
8. What did Virgil’s father do in Haiti?
(a) He drove a bus.
(b) He drove an ambulance.
(c) He drove a taxi.
(d) He drove a garbage truck.
9. Why did Sae Young and her husband find the business they bought in the U.S. their best option?
(a) They were paid a higher wage.
(b) It didn’t take much money to start.
(c) They didn’t have to speak English well.
(d) It was close to home.
10. What happened during the big storm in “Maricela”?
(a) The power went out.
(b) The garden flooded.
(c) The building caught fire.
(d) The garden was destroyed.
11. What does Leona tell Maricela that makes her think differently?
(a) That she is pretty.
(b) That she shouldn't be ashamed.
(c) That she is wrong to be pregnant.
(d) That she is part of a natural system.
12. What does the Mexican family do that entices others?
(a) Roast a pig.
(b) Leave their garden.
(c) Start a fight.
(d) Give away vegetables.
13. What is the winning solution to Sam’s contest?
(a) Let the rainwater run through the spouts to garbage cans.
(b) Run a hose from the spigot outside.
(c) Carry water from the basement apartments.
(d) Put in a sprinkler system.
14. What is Curtis’ point in growing his specific plants?
(a) He can provide for Lateesha.
(b) He can learn to grow things.
(c) He isn’t just muscles.
(d) He wants the attention.
15. What did Sae Young and her husband wait for that never arrived?
(a) A wave of building expansion in the area.
(b) Monetary assistance.
(d) A higher income.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn’t the Polish woman thin her carrots?
2. What does Virgil do with the item he found in the lot?
3. Where is Amir from?
4. What did ancient Egyptians advise for the mad?
5. Who is the black taxi driver that runs through the garden to water lettuce?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)