|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gonzalo find Tio Juan?
(a) In front of the store.
(b) The vacant lot.
(c) At home.
(d) Behind the store.
2. Why was Tio Juan distraught?
(a) He is bored.
(b) He is insane.
(c) He works too hard.
(d) He has no family.
3. How did Gonzalo learn English?
(a) His uncle.
(b) TV and the playground.
(c) His mother.
4. What does Kim wonder about her father?
(a) If he is alive.
(b) If he misses her.
(c) If his spirit knows her.
(d) If he can see her.
5. What has Kim done to her own plants in the chapter “Wendell”?
(a) Removed them.
(b) Killed them.
(c) Trimmed them.
(d) Ringed them with dirt.
6. What is the “Garcia Equation”?
(a) The idea that when you move to the U.S., you get younger the older you are.
(b) The idea that when you move to Mexico, you get younger the older you are.
(c) The estimated growing season for lettuce.
(d) The idea that when you move to Spain, you get younger the older you are.
7. Why does Leona know about complaining to officials?
(a) She is a parole officer.
(b) She is a nun.
(c) She has a child with special needs.
(d) She has two kids in a dangerous high school.
8. What did Leona’s grandmother drink each day?
(a) Apple juice.
(b) Goldenrod tea.
(c) Orange juice.
9. What does Sam note is a hobby of his?
(a) Studying words.
(c) Selling things.
10. What problem does Sam complain of, in terms of water?
(a) Water for the lot is expensive.
(b) There isn’t any in the lot.
(c) The faucets in the lot need repair.
(d) The lot floods.
11. How long had Kim not been tending the plants?
(a) Four days.
(b) Over a month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One day.
12. What does Leona notice about the “vacant” lot?
(a) It has dangerous people in it.
(b) Planting in the hard soil is difficult.
(c) It has heaps of trash.
(d) It is filled with bugs.
13. Who cleans out the lot at the beginning of the chapter “Sam”?
(a) The garbage company.
(c) Leona and her family.
(d) The community.
14. What word does Sam use for the garden?
15. Who calls Wendell to their apartment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ana do with the object she dug up?
2. What does Ana see Kim doing the following day, after Ana dug something up?
3. What lake can Ana see?
4. What did Leona’s grandma lay on the graves of her physicians?
5. What does Ana suspect this person burying something actually buried?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)