|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leona take with her to see the city?
(a) A request for service.
(b) A bag of garbage.
(c) A signed petition.
(d) A group of people.
2. What does Kim hope will happen in the photo at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her father’s eyes will move.
(b) Her brother will walk.
(c) Her sister will move.
(d) Her mother will speak.
3. When was the last time Sam had a garden?
(a) He has never had a garden.
(b) He was newly married.
(c) He was still in college.
(d) He was a child.
4. What does Sam note is a hobby of his?
(b) Studying words.
(d) Selling things.
5. What happens when Leona tries calling around?
(a) She is given the run around.
(b) She becomes annoyed.
(c) She gives up.
(d) She is immediately given answers.
6. What has Tio Juan become?
(a) A man.
(b) A father.
(c) A worker.
(d) A baby.
7. Who cleans out the lot at the beginning of the chapter “Sam”?
(a) Leona and her family.
(b) The community.
(d) The garbage company.
8. What type of neighborhood is Ana’s?
(b) Working class.
(c) White collar.
9. How did Wendell’s son die?
(a) He was in a car accident.
(b) He was stillborn.
(c) He died of cancer.
(d) He was shot.
10. Who does Ana see burying something from her window?
(a) A homeless man.
11. Why does Kim choose a place behind a refrigerator?
(a) She wants it to be dark.
(b) She wants it to be seen.
(c) She wants to be hidden.
(d) She wants it to be cold.
12. What language does Tio Juan speak?
(a) An Indian language.
13. What has Kim done to her own plants in the chapter “Wendell”?
(a) Trimmed them.
(b) Killed them.
(c) Removed them.
(d) Ringed them with dirt.
14. How does Ana measure the passing time in her neighborhood?
(a) By the length of grass in the yard.
(b) By the price of her rent.
(c) By the amount of garbage in the lot.
(d) By the race and heritage of people moving in and out.
15. Why does Leona know about complaining to officials?
(a) She is a nun.
(b) She is a parole officer.
(c) She has a child with special needs.
(d) She has two kids in a dangerous high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who actually owns the lot?
2. How does Leona prepare for a day of calling the government?
3. How did the plants survive the cold?
4. Where does Gonzalo find Tio Juan?
5. What word does Sam use for the garden?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)