|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the captain do after Legatt finishes his tale of escape?
(a) Lifts him into bed and draws the curtain.
(b) Gives him a blanket and pillow for the cot in the brig.
(c) Settles him into one of the beds in the crew's quarters.
(d) Lays him down on the bed and gives him an extra pillow.
2. Who finds it necessary to find a logical reason for every occurrence that comes his way?
(a) The chief mate.
(b) The second mate.
(c) The captain.
(d) The engineer.
3. From where has the mysterious man directly come?
(a) The Sephora.
(b) The tugboat.
(c) The wilderness.
(d) Another unnamed ship.
4. What does the captain close after he and the stranger hear the noise overhead?
(a) The door to his bathroom.
(b) The door to his stateroom.
(c) The lid of his musicbox.
(d) The porthole.
5. Where is the captain's riding light?
(a) The port rigging.
(b) The aft rigging.
(c) The crow's nest.
(d) The fore rigging.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing how he committed murder, at what time does the mysterious stranger say he and his victim were setting the sail?
2. Where does the stranger hide after being awakened by the captain?
3. What does the captain cite as an example of the chief mate's "dominant trait"?
4. What was thoughtfully given to the ship by the provision merchant?
5. What does the captain mention after his meeting with the officers on board the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Legatt share with the captain once on board the ship? How does the captain react?
2. What is indicated about the captain based upon his precautionary manner of proceeding in fetching clothes for the stranger?
3. Why does the captain choose to take Legatt to his quarters rather than the brig or the crew's quarters?
4. How does the chief mate react to the perilous situation of the ship, and what does the captain do to him?
5. What is significant about Leggatt's relation of how he avoided discovery by the steward?
6. What strangeness is dominant in the mind of the captain in the story's early part?
7. What is significant about the faltering in Leggatt's speech when he says, "You have. From first to last"?
8. How does the captain feel after the skipper leaves the ship? Why?
9. How does the captain describe his own situation aboard the unnamed ship in speaking to the stranger?
10. What does the stranger take advantage of in the captain's stateroom?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)