|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Through what straits did the stranger ask the captain of the Sephora to leave his door unlocked?
(a) The Sunda Straits.
(b) The Angier Straits.
(c) The Gibraltar Straits.
(d) The Java Straits.
2. At what location did the stranger ask to speak with the captain of the Sephora?
(d) Java Head.
3. What do the stranger and the captain hear overhead after the stranger has finished telling his tale?
4. After focusing his eyes on the body at the end of the rope ladder, what does the captain notice?
(a) The body has a head of black hair.
(b) The body has a head of brown hair.
(c) None of these.
(d) The body has two legs.
5. How did the boat get to its location at the beginning of the book?
(a) By tug boat.
(b) It was built there at the port.
(c) None of these.
(d) It sailed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the captain's main officers?
2. What was the content of the first cry from the crew concerning the stranger's intention in diving off the ship?
3. Over what uncanny discovery does the stranger reflect after hearing the captain's story?
4. Where does the captain find the ship's rope ladder?
5. Who does the stranger say has been with the skipper of the Sephora longest amongst the crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the captain grow to hate the sight and sound of his steward?
2. How does Legatt describe the man that he killed? What does this say about Legatt's character?
3. Why does the captain bring the skipper to his state room? What does he tell the skipper? Why?
4. Once aboard the ship, what does the captain notice about Legatt? What does he determine from Legatt's appearance and mannerisms?
5. How does the captain describe the situation in which he first finds himself truly in command of the ship?
6. What does the captain derive from the sincerely considered alternatives the mysterious man weighs?
7. What characterizes the attitudes of the crew as their captain evidently leads them towards an idiotic doom?
8. What does the stranger take advantage of in the captain's stateroom?
9. What has contributed to the "pitiless obligation" under which the skipper of the Sephora operates?
10. The story begins with the captain coming aboard his new ship. Explain how the captain is feeling at the beginning of the story and how the author paints that picture.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)