|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What duty does the captain fulfill the night he sends the crew to sleep?
(a) He keeps watch over the ship's direction.
(b) He keeps watch over the anchor.
(c) None of these.
(d) He watches for iceburgs.
2. How long has the crew been together when the captain comes on board?
(a) Two years.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Eight months.
3. Who attempts to figure out the size and purpose of the Sephora during the officers meeting with the captain?
(a) None of these.
(b) The second mate.
(c) The chief mate.
(d) The engineer.
4. How long has the stranger been swimming?
(a) Since eleven o'clock.
(b) Since eight o'clock.
(c) Since nine o'clock.
(d) Since ten o'clock.
5. How many officers does the captain have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain mention after his meeting with the officers on board the ship?
2. How long was the last spell of the stranger's swim to the unnamed ship?
3. Whom does the captain say he will have relieve him after his unprecedented watch alone?
4. When did the murder take place?
5. To what infamous killer does the stranger relate himself as in the thoughts of the skipper's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What induces a state of self-possession in the captain while he faces the mysterious man in the water?
2. The author gives the reader one example of the captain's determination and ability to stand his ground when making a decision. What is it?
3. What is the captain consumed with once on deck the morning after Legatt comes on board? What does the author use this to demonstrate?
4. What is the captain's interior disposition during the precarious moments in which the ship faces its greatest peril?
5. What does the captain do while on deck alone at night while the rest of the crew sleeps? What keeps him awake initially?
6. How does the skipper of the Sephora characterize Leggatt in regards to his position as chief mate?
7. How do Legatt and the captain communicate with each other? Why?
8. How does Legatt escape from the Sephora? How does the crew react? Why would they react that way?
9. For what reason does the captain issue his order for all hands to go to sleep while he himself takes the watch alone?
10. How does the chief mate of the unnamed ship refer discretely to his strange new captain, and for what reason?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)