|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the next youngest member of the crew?
(a) The captain.
(b) The second mate.
(c) The engineer.
(d) The chief mate.
2. What word does the mysterious man use to describe the tone of the skipper when being relieved of his duties?
3. The captain narrates that, after sharing his own story with the stranger, the two men face one another with identical what?
4. What does the captain reflect to himself is the soul of discipline while walking aft on his watch?
(a) Clarity in the ship's order.
(b) Exactitude in some small manners.
(c) Precision in all appearances.
(d) A strict regimen.
5. What does the captain retrieve for himself from below decks while on his watch?
(a) A cigar.
(b) A pair of slippers.
(c) A compass.
(d) A bottle of wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did the second mate receive his information regarding the Sephora?
2. Whom does the captain say he will have relieve him after his unprecedented watch alone?
3. How long was the last spell of the stranger's swim to the unnamed ship?
4. Who is the youngest member of the crew?
5. What duty does the captain fulfill the night he sends the crew to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mysterious man characterize the victim of his murderous anger?
2. How does the captain smooth over the situation with the steward so that Legatt is not discovered in his quarters?
3. What plan do Legatt and the captain devise for Legatt's escape? Does the author make the plan seem feasible?
4. Once aboard the ship, what does the captain notice about Legatt? What does he determine from Legatt's appearance and mannerisms?
5. For what reason does the captain issue his order for all hands to go to sleep while he himself takes the watch alone?
6. What does the captain discover about the stranger upon first speaking with him in the stateroom?
7. What thoughts dominate the mind of the captain when the steward brings his wet coat into the stateroom?
8. How did the murder Legatt is accused of happen? Does the author give any indication that Legatt is innocent?
9. What does the captain do after telling the crew to turn in without an anchor watch? Why is this significant?
10. It is clear what purpose the captain serves in Legatt's life. What purpose does Legatt serve the captain?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)