|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the tug boat?
(b) The Tugger.
(c) Tony's Little Lady.
(d) The name is not given.
2. How long has the captain been a captain?
(a) Twelve weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
3. Which crew member comes from the Sephora?
(a) The engineer.
(b) The second mate.
(c) The chief mate.
(d) None of them.
4. What position had Legatt held on his ship?
(a) Deck hand.
(b) Chief mate.
(d) Second mate.
5. What does the captain hear when he is below the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) The sound of whispers.
(b) The sound of a small row boat approaching.
(c) The sound of the boat creaking.
(d) The sound of his crew snoring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain remark on as he takes Legatt below the ship?
2. What does the captain close after he and the stranger hear the noise overhead?
3. Who are the captain's main officers?
4. At what location did the stranger ask to speak with the captain of the Sephora?
5. What duty does the captain fulfill the night he sends the crew to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what is a reefed foresail and what purpose did it serve on the Sephora?
2. What is significant about Leggatt's rebuttal of the Sephora's skipper's account of the setting of the reefed foresail?
3. How does the captain narratively describe the scattered islands on the gulf?
4. Based on the author's interpretation of the situation, does the captain feel confident about taking the ship dangerously close to the islands? Why or why not?
5. How does Legatt describe the man that he killed? What does this say about Legatt's character?
6. How does the skipper feel about Legatt? Why was Legatt on board the Sephora?
7. What does the captain demonstrate about his own character through his "polite insistence" in showing the Sephora's captain the entirety of his ship?
8. What is indicated about the nature of a captain's rule at sea by the captain's decision that he must show himself on deck?
9. Is there any indication that the crew knows about Legatt's presence on the ship the morning after he arrives? Why or why not?
10. What is significant about Leggatt's relation of how he avoided discovery by the steward?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)