|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What duty does the captain fulfill the night he sends the crew to sleep?
(a) He keeps watch over the anchor.
(b) None of these.
(c) He watches for iceburgs.
(d) He keeps watch over the ship's direction.
2. What does the captain yell over the side of the ship, down the ladder to the body below?
(b) "What's the matter?"
(c) "What's going on?"
(d) "Who's there?"
3. At what does the stranger stare through the porthole while relating his tale to the captain?
(a) A star.
(b) An islet.
(c) The Sephora.
4. What does the captain bring Legatt as he boards the ship?
(a) One of the crew member's spare pair of pants.
(b) A blanket.
(c) His own sleeping clothes.
(d) A cup of coffee.
5. How far is the Sephora from the nearest real land when the stranger is relating his story to the captain?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Six miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the captain's ship represent to Legatt while he was swimming in the sea?
2. What shape does the captain's quarters resemble?
3. Which of the following does the captain not picture his ship passing through on the coming voyage while pacing about on his watch?
4. How did the boat get to its location at the beginning of the book?
5. What is the name of the ship approaching dangerously close to the crew's ship at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the captain's order for all hands to turn in without setting an anchor watch astonish the rest of the crew?
2. What is indicated about the captain based upon his precautionary manner of proceeding in fetching clothes for the stranger?
3. What is significant about Leggatt's rebuttal of the Sephora's skipper's account of the setting of the reefed foresail?
4. What story does Legatt share with the captain once on board the ship? How does the captain react?
5. What is significant about Leggatt's relation of how he avoided discovery by the steward?
6. What has contributed to the "pitiless obligation" under which the skipper of the Sephora operates?
7. How does the stranger report his former companions treating him after the murder?
8. Why does the captain remain emotionless and unexcitable throughout his and the skipper's conversation? Does it work?
9. How does the captain outwardly bear himself as the ship nears the island and almost certain doom?
10. To what conclusion does the captain's mind first leap when he sees the naked body in the water, and why?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)