|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what Gulf is the narrator's ship anchored at the story's beginning?
2. What does the captain mention after his meeting with the officers on board the ship?
(a) How hard the officers have been working.
(b) How well the officers have been getting along.
(c) How hard the crew has been working.
(d) How well the crew has been getting along.
3. What does the captain tell his officers, upon first speaking with them in the story, that he saw above the ridge as the sun went down?
(b) The pagoda.
(c) An eagle.
4. What keeps the captain from sleeping the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) The strangeness of himself and his arrangement.
(b) The ship's foreign destination.
(c) The storm that night.
(d) The unusual crew aboard the ship.
5. What does the captain fetch for the mysterious man as the latter begins to board the ship?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what word does the strange man beside the ship respond to the captain's first question?
2. What ship does the captain think may be approaching at the end of Part 1?
3. From where has the mysterious man directly come?
4. Through what straits did the stranger ask the captain of the Sephora to leave his door unlocked?
5. What is to the left of the door in the captain's stateroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there any indication that the crew knows about Legatt's presence on the ship the morning after he arrives? Why or why not?
2. How does the chief mate of the unnamed ship refer discretely to his strange new captain, and for what reason?
3. What example of dual personification does the author give in the captain's character?
4. What is significant about the faltering in Leggatt's speech when he says, "You have. From first to last"?
5. What is indicated about the captain by his preference of silence and solitude?
6. What are the initial thoughts of the captain concerning Leggatt when he enters his stateroom after the incident with the steward on the fourth day of traveling?
7. What story does Legatt share with the captain once on board the ship? How does the captain react?
8. How do Legatt and the captain communicate with each other? Why?
9. To what conclusion does the captain's mind first leap when he sees the naked body in the water, and why?
10. How does the captain describe the state of Leggatt during the exodus from the gulf?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)