|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Legatt a sense of relief when he is swimming?
(a) The riding light on the Sephora.
(b) The riding lignt on the Tempora.
(c) The riding light on the captain's ship.
(d) The lights of the tug boat.
2. How did the boat get to its location at the beginning of the book?
(a) By tug boat.
(b) None of these.
(c) It sailed.
(d) It was built there at the port.
3. What is the name of the ship?
(a) The ship's name is never given.
(b) None of these.
(c) The Sea Nymph.
(d) The Water Lady.
4. What is the name of the river from which the ship has just left at the story's beginning?
5. What time does the captain remain on deck until the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(b) Two o'clock a.m.
(c) One o'clock a.m.
(d) Eleven o'clock p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does the mysterious stranger say the skipper of the Sephora had been without sleep?
2. What does the captain mention after his meeting with the officers on board the ship?
3. At what location did the stranger ask to speak with the captain of the Sephora?
4. When found with Legatt, how does the murdered person look?
5. What did the stranger see that he decided to swim towards?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is clear what purpose the captain serves in Legatt's life. What purpose does Legatt serve the captain?
2. What does Legatt say about his last moments in the water before finding the captain's ship?
3. Why does the captain's order for all hands to turn in without setting an anchor watch astonish the rest of the crew?
4. What does the captain derive from the sincerely considered alternatives the mysterious man weighs?
5. How does the mysterious man characterize the victim of his murderous anger?
6. What principally worsened the conditions faced by the stranger and those on the Sephora?
7. When and why does the captain turn the ship to open sea?
8. What difference does Legatt point out between his story and the skipper's story about what happened on the Sephora when the man was murdered?
9. What characterizes the chief mate of the unnamed ship's opinion on the story of the murder by Leggatt?
10. What important differences are there between the captain and his crew? Why are they important?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)