|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what innocent does the stranger relate his victim as in the thoughts of the skipper's wife?
(b) A peasant.
(d) Julius Caesar.
2. Through what straits did the stranger ask the captain of the Sephora to leave his door unlocked?
(a) The Java Straits.
(b) The Angier Straits.
(c) The Sunda Straits.
(d) The Gibraltar Straits.
3. What color is the hair of the man floating beside the captain's ship?
4. What does the captain go below for the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) A gun.
(b) A cigar.
(c) A drink.
(d) A book.
5. What does the captain do the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) He walks along the deck.
(b) Watches the nearby ship.
(c) All of these.
(d) Decides the sea most likely doesn't hold any discomforting surprises.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain believe about the body in the water?
2. What does the captain yell over the side of the ship, down the ladder to the body below?
3. Who is described as a comical character with abundant whiskers?
4. How many officers does the captain have?
5. With what word does the strange man beside the ship respond to the captain's first question?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the chief mate characterized according to the descriptions given by the captain in the early part of the story?
2. Why does Leggatt request to be marooned?
3. What happened to Legatt as a result of the murder he is accused of committing? Does the author give any indication that this is out of the ordinary? Why or why not?
4. What is the significance of the "punishment" of Leggatt?
5. How does the captain describe his own situation aboard the unnamed ship in speaking to the stranger?
6. How is the captain awakened the next morning? Why is this important?
7. What characterizes the account of the stranger's escape from the Sephora to the unnamed ship?
8. What is significant about Leggatt's rebuttal of the Sephora's skipper's account of the setting of the reefed foresail?
9. Once aboard the ship, what does the captain notice about Legatt? What does he determine from Legatt's appearance and mannerisms?
10. What is indicated about the captain by his preference of silence and solitude?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)