|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the captain tell his steward to do while the former takes a bath?
(a) Fetch the chief mate.
(b) Clean the stateroom.
(c) Take stock of the provisions.
(d) Wash his sleep clothes.
2. What does the captain fetch for the mysterious man as the latter begins to board the ship?
3. What is the profession of the mysterious man's father?
4. What did the stranger see that he decided to swim towards?
(a) The outline of a mast.
(b) A waxing moon low in the sky.
(c) The North Star.
(d) The unnamed ship's riding light.
5. What color are the curtains around the captain's bed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain close after he and the stranger hear the noise overhead?
2. What does the captain do after settling Legatt in for the night?
3. How did the stranger kill his victim?
4. How was the murder committed?
5. Where is the captain's riding light?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the main officers on board? How is the reader introduced to these characters? How are they described?
2. What is the significance of the statement of the stranger that, "It's not so easy for a swimmer like me to commit suicide by drowning"?
3. What is indicated about the captain by his preference of silence and solitude?
4. How does the captain narratively describe the scattered islands on the gulf?
5. How was the murder incited, as the stranger relates it?
6. What characterizes the difficulties faced by the captain on his first day of true command?
7. What conversation takes place between Legatt and the captain before Legatt comes on board the ship? What does Legatt notice about the captain? Why?
8. What does Legatt do once he is in the water? Why?
9. It is clear what purpose the captain serves in Legatt's life. What purpose does Legatt serve the captain?
10. How does Legatt escape from the Sephora? How does the crew react? Why would they react that way?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)