|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point of view is the story told in?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(d) First person.
2. Where does the stranger hide after being awakened by the captain?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The saloon.
(c) The storeroom.
(d) Under the bed.
3. Where was Legatt held during his incarceration?
(a) In the brig.
(b) In a jail at the last port.
(c) In the captain's cabin.
(d) In his cabin.
4. Where did the other crew members find Legatt with the deceased?
(a) Under the pier.
(b) In a bar at port.
(c) Under a pile of debris.
(d) Hanging from the side of the ship.
5. What did the crew yell when they heard Legatt jump in the sea?
(b) "Man over board!"
(c) "Get him!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Legatt happy to have toward the end of his swim in the sea?
2. For how long has the captain been in command at the start of the tale?
3. How far is the Sephora from the nearest real land when the stranger is relating his story to the captain?
4. Why has Legatt fled the ship he was previously aboard?
5. What is the chief mate notably wearing when the captain decides he must show himself on deck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leggatt request to be marooned?
2. How does the captain describe the situation in which he first finds himself truly in command of the ship?
3. What principally worsened the conditions faced by the stranger and those on the Sephora?
4. For what reason does the captain issue his order for all hands to go to sleep while he himself takes the watch alone?
5. Who are the main officers on board? How is the reader introduced to these characters? How are they described?
6. What strangeness is dominant in the mind of the captain in the story's early part?
7. How does Legatt escape from his cabin aboard the Sephora? Does the author give any indication that things may not have happened this way?
8. How does Legatt escape from the Sephora? How does the crew react? Why would they react that way?
9. What thoughts dominate the mind of the captain when the steward brings his wet coat into the stateroom?
10. What does Legatt do once he is in the water? Why?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)