|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could potentially cause tension and frustration between the crew and their new captain?
(a) The captain would be giving orders to a crew that is older than he is.
(b) The captain would be giving orders to a crew that is younger than him.
(c) The captain would be giving orders to a crew that has more experience than him.
(d) The captain would be giving orders to a crew that does not speak the same language as him.
2. What does the captain go below for the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) A drink.
(b) A book.
(c) A gun.
(d) A cigar.
3. What is the name of the river from which the ship has just left at the story's beginning?
4. What does the captain discover when he tries to pull the rope ladder up?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) It's too heavy to pull up.
(c) Both of these.
(d) It's broken.
5. What does the chief mate find in his ink well?
(a) A worm.
(b) A fly.
(c) A spider.
(d) A scorpion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was thoughtfully given to the ship by the provision merchant?
2. What disturbs the captain's "comfort of quiet communion" with his ship at the story's beginning?
3. What does Legatt drag behind him as he swims?
4. The narrator says that only the sky and the sea will be ________to the voyage and task of he and his crew.
5. Who tells the crew about the approaching ship at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the captain put their escape plan into place? What does he do? What reaction does this produce from the crew?
2. What important differences are there between the captain and his crew? Why are they important?
3. According to the author, what is a reefed foresail and what purpose did it serve on the Sephora?
4. What is significant about the way the author ends the story?
5. Why is it more important than ever that the crew not know about Legatt being on board after the skipper leaves?
6. Is there any indication that the crew knows about Legatt's presence on the ship the morning after he arrives? Why or why not?
7. Describe the difference between what the captain feels when commanding the ship forward for the first time versus how he should be feeling.
8. How does the captain outwardly bear himself as the ship nears the island and almost certain doom?
9. How does the skipper feel about Legatt? Why was Legatt on board the Sephora?
10. What does the captain tell the skipper at the end of the skipper's story? How does the skipper react? Why?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)