|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does the mysterious stranger say the skipper of the Sephora had been without sleep?
(a) A week.
(b) Six days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four days.
2. What does the captain believe about the body in the water?
(a) He believes it is one of his crew members.
(b) He believes it is a man from the strange ship.
(c) He believes it is a headless corpse.
(d) He believes it is a legless corpse.
3. From where has the Sephora come when first seen by the captain and his crew, according to the second mate?
4. What is the name of the river from which the ship has just left at the story's beginning?
5. For what did the stranger win a prize his second year in the Conway?
Short Answer Questions
1. What ship does the captain think may be approaching at the end of Part 1?
2. What keeps the captain from sleeping the night they see a strange ship approaching?
3. What does the captain yell over the side of the ship, down the ladder to the body below?
4. How does the lifeless body reply to the captain when he calls over the side of the boat?
5. Where does the captain take Legatt after he tells the captain his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Legatt point out between his story and the skipper's story about what happened on the Sephora when the man was murdered?
2. How does the chief mate of the unnamed ship refer discretely to his strange new captain, and for what reason?
3. What does the stranger take advantage of in the captain's stateroom?
4. What plan do Legatt and the captain devise for Legatt's escape? Does the author make the plan seem feasible?
5. How does the captain describe the state of Leggatt during the exodus from the gulf?
6. Describe the difference between what the captain feels when commanding the ship forward for the first time versus how he should be feeling.
7. What induces a state of self-possession in the captain while he faces the mysterious man in the water?
8. What story does Legatt share with the captain once on board the ship? How does the captain react?
9. How does the captain describe his own situation aboard the unnamed ship in speaking to the stranger?
10. What does Legatt do once he is in the water? Why?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)