|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the captain continue to refer to Legatt as through Part 2?
(a) His other self.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) His double.
(d) Both of these.
2. For what does the captain reproach his second after the former puts the ship on the other tack?
(a) Staring at the sky.
(b) Slackness and impropriety.
(c) Speaking gregariously.
(d) Being unshaven.
3. Who suggests that the wave which hit the boat could have killed the man rather than Legatt?
(a) The engineer.
(b) The chief mate.
(c) The captain.
(d) The second mate.
4. What does the skipper say in response to the suggestion that a wave killed the man?
(a) "How dare you!"
(b) "That's impossible!"
(c) None of these.
(d) "How could you suggest such a thing!"
5. For how many years does the skipper of the Sephora claim to have been at sea?
6. What did the "reefed foresail" do for the Sephora and crew?
(a) It caused damage to the ship, but saved the lives of the crew.
(b) It saved the ship, but caused the death of the man Legatt was fighting.
(c) It saved the ship and the lives of the crew.
(d) It caused damage to the ship, and injured some of the crew members.
7. What does the captain suggest to the Sephora's skipper might have been responsible for the death of Leggatt's victim?
(b) The sea.
(c) A loose object on deck.
(d) His own foolishness.
8. Where is Legatt hiding when he is almost discovered?
(a) In the captain's bathroom.
(b) In the captain's bed.
(c) In the captain's closet.
(d) In the captain's state room.
9. How does the captain describe the skipper's whiskers?
(a) Black and thick.
(b) Brown and neatly trimmed.
(c) Red, thick, and bushy.
(d) Red and scratchily located all over his face.
10. How does the captain's behavior throughout his conversation with the skipper cause the skipper to react?
(a) It began to arouse distrust in the skipper.
(b) It had no effect on the skipper.
(c) It angered the skipper.
(d) It kept the skipper focused on the telling the story and not asking questions.
11. When is the only time the captain demonstrates strong decision-making abilities?
(a) When deciding to take the ship near the islands.
(b) When arguing with the chief mate about the direction of the ship.
(c) When deciding Legatt must leave.
(d) When deciding to take the ship into the strong currents.
12. What does Legatt assure the captain about their plan?
(a) He'll follow the plan "precisely".
(b) He'll follow the plan to the "letter".
(c) The plan cannot fail.
(d) He'll follow the plan to the "T".
13. Who follows the captain leeward after the captain's last words with Leggatt?
(a) The carpenter.
(b) The helmsman.
(c) The chief mate.
(d) The second mate.
14. What is a synonymous phrase for the command the captain gives while near the island, "Hard alee"?
(a) Hard starboard.
(b) Hard against the wind.
(c) Hard with the wind.
(d) Hard port.
15. Why does the captain keep part of his gold coins?
(a) To buy food later for his crew.
(b) To buy boating supplies.
(c) To purchase exotic jewels.
(d) To purchase clothing and dry goods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the gold coins in the story called?
2. What is preserved by the small gesture of Leggatt when the captain returns to his room after the incident with the steward on the fourth day?
3. What does the crew of both ships believe about Legatt's fate?
4. The chief mate tells the second mate, after the captain puts the ship on the other tack, that such a move is a great want of what?
5. How does the skipper of the Sephora describe Leggatt?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)