|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which ports does the captain oddly order the second mate to have opened?
(a) The ports in his stateroom.
(b) The starboard ports on the saloon.
(c) Those of the quarter-deck.
(d) The sail locker ports.
2. What risks are Legatt and the captain taking by keeping Legatt hidden?
(a) Going to prison.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Going to the gallows.
(d) Neither of these.
3. According to the skipper, who called for a "reefed foresail" aboard the Sephora?
(a) The engineer.
(b) The skipper.
(c) The second mate.
4. At what hour does the captain instruct the chief mate to put the ship round after the incident with the steward on the fourth day?
(a) Seven o'clock.
(b) Eleven o'clock.
(c) Eight o'clock.
(d) Ten o'clock.
5. Who is reluctant to agree that Legatt needs to leave, but does agree?
(a) The captain.
(b) The chief mate.
(d) None of these.
6. Off what does Leggatt say he has been driven in his speech insisting he be marooned?
(a) The earth.
(b) The Sephora.
(c) All ships.
7. Upon the theory of what do Leggatt and the captain conspire to take advantage?
(a) Leggatt's escape.
(b) Leggatt's presence on the unnamed ship.
(c) Leggatt's suicide.
(d) Leggatt's presence on the tugboat.
8. On the niceness of what does the captain nonchalantly comment to the Sephora's skipper while they first speak concerning the disappearance of Leggatt?
(a) The Sephora.
(b) The captain's stateroom.
(c) The weather.
(d) The saloon.
9. What physical abnormality did the captain notice about the skipper?
(a) One of his arms was shorter than the other.
(b) One of his legs was shorter than the other.
(c) One of his legs was more crooked than the other.
(d) None of these.
10. Where does the captain take the ship after agreeing that Legatt should leave?
(a) He took the ship toward the nearest port.
(b) He kept the ship on course, but increased the ship's speed.
(c) He took the ship further out into sea.
(d) He took the ship towards a group of islands.
11. What white object does the captain see floating on the sea?
(a) A body.
(b) His hat.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A shirt.
12. What part does the captain complain about having Legatt aboard the ship?
(a) That Legatt will at some point need to leave the ship.
(b) How Legatt is not careful enough when exploring the ship.
(c) How he and Legatt must maneuver around his state room.
(d) That he can't tell anyone about Legatt.
13. When does the captain first have the opportunity to give orders to move the boat forward?
(a) Just before the skipper's visit.
(b) After the skipper's visit.
(c) After Legatt first comes on board.
(d) After Legatt is discovered.
14. What is the major source of symbolism in Part 2 of the story?
(a) The ship catching a current and speeding away from Legatt.
(b) None of these.
(c) The captain keeping information from his crew.
(d) The ship almost running aground.
15. What noise makes the captain start while Leggatt has a hold of his arm?
(a) The supper bell.
(b) The steward setting the table in the saloon.
(c) The first mate knocking at the door.
(d) The call for raised winds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Legatt hiding when he is almost discovered?
2. What feeling is the captain afraid of putting to the test while speaking with the Sephora's skipper?
3. When does the captain change the ship's direction at the end of the story?
4. What did the captain tell the skipper so that he would speak more loudly?
5. How does the captain remain through his entire conversation with the skipper?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)