|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final verbally delivered caveat of the captain concerning Leggatt's escape?
(a) To avoid going through the saloon.
(b) To avoid breathing too loudly.
(c) To avoid a splash.
(d) To avoid being seen.
2. Who says "I think I had come creeping quietly as near insanity as any man who has not actually gone over the border"?
(b) The captain.
(c) None of these.
(d) The chief mate.
3. How far does the Sephora's skipper guess it is from the Sephora to the unnamed ship?
(a) Two miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Four hundred yards.
(d) Three miles.
4. How does the skipper react when it is suggested that the wave, not Legatt, killed the man?
(a) He was angry.
(b) He was unfazed by the comment.
(c) He was saddened.
(d) He was shocked.
5. What does the steward break when startled by the captain on the second day out?
(a) A dish.
(b) A cup.
(c) A door.
(d) A vase.
6. The chief mate tells the second mate, after the captain puts the ship on the other tack, that such a move is a great want of what?
(c) Common sense.
7. What causes the captain's heart to fly into his throat once back on deck after parting ways with Legatt?
(a) The idea that Legatt is leaving.
(b) How quickly the ship is taken by a current.
(c) How quickly the ship gains speed.
(d) How close the ship gets to land.
8. How did the skipper respond each time the captain spoke to him?
(a) He shouted angrily.
(b) He grumbled angrily.
(c) He spoke low and slowly.
(d) He mumbled his answer.
9. Off what shore does Leggatt insist he be marooned?
(a) The Malaysian.
(b) The Cambodge.
(c) The Sumatran.
(d) The Paknam.
10. How do Legatt and the captain speak with each other?
(a) In quick, hushed phrases.
(b) In whispers.
(c) In normal voices.
(d) In Spanish.
11. How does the captain remain through his entire conversation with the skipper?
(a) He pretends not to understand most of what the skipper says.
(b) None of these.
(c) He remains unexcitable.
(d) He fakes curiousity.
12. What does the captain point out as the skipper's main characteristic?
(a) "Spiritful tenacity".
(b) "Stupendous tenacity."
(c) "Spiteful tenacity".
(d) "Spiritless tenacity".
13. How does the skipper say Legatt came to be on his ship?
(a) He had to take him on because the skipper lost a bet.
(b) He was forced to take him on as part of the crew.
(c) He hired him directly.
(d) None of these.
14. When does the captain first have the opportunity to give orders to move the boat forward?
(a) After Legatt is discovered.
(b) After the skipper's visit.
(c) Just before the skipper's visit.
(d) After Legatt first comes on board.
15. What does the steward bring into the captain's quarters to finish drying on the fourth day out?
(a) A shirt.
(b) A coat.
(c) A pair of pants.
(d) A towel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the unnamed captain judge to be the skipper of the Sephora's main characteristic?
2. What is the name of the Sephora's skipper?
3. What does the helmsman complain of not being able to see well while close to the island?
4. What does the captain question after Legatt is almost discovered?
5. What feeling is the captain afraid of putting to the test while speaking with the Sephora's skipper?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)