|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the captain take the ship after agreeing that Legatt should leave?
(a) He took the ship further out into sea.
(b) He took the ship towards a group of islands.
(c) He took the ship toward the nearest port.
(d) He kept the ship on course, but increased the ship's speed.
2. How did the captain attempt to get more information from the skipper?
(a) None of these.
(b) He took him to the control room.
(c) He brought him to his state room.
(d) He took him to the galley for a meal.
3. According to Legatt, who called for a "reefed foresail" aboard the Sephora?
(a) The engineer.
(c) The second mate.
(d) The skipper.
4. Towards what does the captain point Leggatt before going on deck after he is alerted to a situation that requires his attention?
(a) The couch.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The bed.
(d) The campstool.
5. Where do the two captains speak to one another at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) The stateroom.
(b) On deck.
(c) On the quarter-deck.
(d) The saloon.
6. Who does the captain share Legatt's secret with?
(a) No one.
(b) His second mate.
(c) His chief mate.
(d) The steward.
7. What color are the skipper of the Sephora's eyes?
(a) Green as the sea.
(b) Smeary blue.
(c) Gray as rainclouds.
(d) Night black.
8. What day is it when the men from the Sephora come aboard the unnamed ship?
9. What could the Sephora not give to Leggatt's victim?
(b) A proper burial.
(c) A decent postmortem complexion.
10. How many days into the journey was Legatt almost discovered?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Six days.
11. How does the captain describe the skipper's whiskers?
(a) Red, thick, and bushy.
(b) Red and scratchily located all over his face.
(c) Black and thick.
(d) Brown and neatly trimmed.
12. How do both the captain and Legatt feel about the near discovery?
(a) Neither are concerned about Legatt's near discovery.
(b) The captain is concerned, but Legatt is not.
(c) Legatt is startled and concerned, but the captain is not.
(d) They are both startled by Legatt's near discovery.
13. Next to what mythological place is Erebus, to which the captain relates the situation of his ship, located according to the proper myth?
14. How does the skipper feel about Legatt?
(a) He says that he was very fond of him.
(b) He says that he never did like him.
(c) He was one of his favorite officers.
(d) He says that he was not an outgoing person, but well-liked by him and the crew.
15. Where did Legatt hide while the captain and skipper spoke?
(a) He jumped into the sea.
(b) He was hanging over the side of the ship.
(c) He was hiding in the same room as them.
(d) He was hiding in the storage area.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the Sephora's skipper credit the saving of his ship?
2. On the niceness of what does the captain nonchalantly comment to the Sephora's skipper while they first speak concerning the disappearance of Leggatt?
3. The chief mate tells the second mate, after the captain puts the ship on the other tack, that such a move is a great want of what?
4. When does the captain change the ship's direction at the end of the story?
5. What else does the captain give Legatt before he leaves the ship?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)