|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What implement does the captain continually point at the scattered group of islands?
(a) A telescope.
(b) A sextant.
(c) A truncheon.
(d) A compass.
2. Who does the captain begin to hate the sight and sound of?
(a) The second mate.
(b) The chief mate.
(d) The steward.
3. For how long has the skipper of the Sephora been captain of the ship?
(a) Nine years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Eighteen years.
4. What does the captain continue to refer to Legatt as through Part 2?
(a) His double.
(b) His other self.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Both of these.
5. What does the captain narrate as being "not barren of ingenious suggestions" while speaking with the Sephora's skipper?
6. What does the captain ask the steward to get from the galley?
(a) Cold water.
(b) A biscuit.
(c) Hot water.
(d) Some fruit.
7. What did Leggatt do that nearly alerted the steward to his presence just before the latter broke an object on the second day out?
(a) Put his hand out the porthole.
(b) Fall asleep on the couch.
(c) Make a noise.
(d) Open the door.
8. Which side of the gulf does the captain narrate as being fringed with islands?
(a) The east.
(b) The south.
(c) The north.
(d) The west.
9. How did the captain treat the skipper?
(a) All of these.
(b) With animosity.
(c) With curious paranoia.
(d) With politeness.
10. What else does the captain give Legatt before he leaves the ship?
(a) A change of clothes.
(b) A floppy straw hat.
(c) A compass.
(d) None of these.
11. What white object does the captain see floating on the sea?
(a) A shirt.
(b) A body.
(c) His hat.
(d) A piece of paper.
12. To whom is the Sephora's skipper anxious to give up his former first mate?
(a) The sea.
(b) The law.
(c) The natives.
13. When is the only time the captain demonstrates strong decision-making abilities?
(a) When deciding to take the ship into the strong currents.
(b) When deciding Legatt must leave.
(c) When deciding to take the ship near the islands.
(d) When arguing with the chief mate about the direction of the ship.
14. Where do the captain and Legatt always speak to each other?
(a) In the captain's state room.
(b) In the cargo area.
(c) In the captain's closet.
(d) In the galley.
15. What does the steward break when startled by the captain on the second day out?
(a) A vase.
(b) A dish.
(c) A cup.
(d) A door.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what activity is the steward engaged when the captain goes below decks after the departure of the Sephora's skipper?
2. Where does the captain finally take the ship?
3. How should Legatt get to the water from the captain's ship?
4. The captain says that his hesitation to let Leggatt swim away from his ship was a mere sham ____________.
5. What time does the captain go up on deck after deciding Legatt should leave?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)