|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could the Sephora not give to Leggatt's victim?
(c) A decent postmortem complexion.
(d) A proper burial.
2. Who is the captain referring to when he states, "Our hands met gropingly, lingered united in a steady, motionless clasp for a second...No word was breathed by either of us when they separated"?
(a) None of these.
(b) The hand shake between him and the chief mate.
(c) The hand shake between him and the second mate.
(d) The hand shake between him and Legatt.
3. What physical abnormality did the captain notice about the skipper?
(a) None of these.
(b) One of his arms was shorter than the other.
(c) One of his legs was shorter than the other.
(d) One of his legs was more crooked than the other.
4. What day is it when the men from the Sephora come aboard the unnamed ship?
5. For what purpose does the captain move away from the rail and consequently catch the suspicious eye of the helmsman?
(a) To go below decks.
(b) To look at the compass.
(c) To speak with the helmsman.
(d) To look at the map.
6. Who decides it is time for Legatt to leave the ship?
(a) The captain.
(b) None of these.
(c) The chief mate, once he discovers Legatt is on board.
7. On the niceness of what does the captain nonchalantly comment to the Sephora's skipper while they first speak concerning the disappearance of Leggatt?
(a) The saloon.
(b) The weather.
(c) The captain's stateroom.
(d) The Sephora.
8. When does the captain know that Legatt has successfully left the ship?
(a) When Legatt signals the captain from the water.
(b) When Legatt bangs on the side of the ship.
(c) When the floppy hat is in the water.
(d) When the captain sees the small row boat behind the ship.
9. What is Erebus?
(a) Where the dead are taken under the sea.
(b) A land of darkness under the earth.
(c) The name of the ship.
(d) The name of the nearby island.
10. Who does the captain share Legatt's secret with?
(a) The steward.
(b) No one.
(c) His second mate.
(d) His chief mate.
11. Past what hour, after supper, does the captain return below decks to tell Leggatt it is dark enough?
(a) Nine o'clock.
(b) Eight o'clock.
(c) Ten o'clock.
(d) Eleven o'clock.
12. What implement does the captain continually point at the scattered group of islands?
(a) A truncheon.
(b) A telescope.
(c) A compass.
(d) A sextant.
13. What did Leggatt do that nearly alerted the steward to his presence just before the latter broke an object on the second day out?
(a) Open the door.
(b) Make a noise.
(c) Put his hand out the porthole.
(d) Fall asleep on the couch.
14. Towards what does the captain point Leggatt before going on deck after he is alerted to a situation that requires his attention?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The couch.
(c) The bed.
(d) The campstool.
15. How does the skipper of the Sephora describe Leggatt?
(a) A man of no gentlemanly character.
(b) Not the sort of man to be his first mate.
(c) Seemed like just the sort of man to be his mate.
(d) A queer and violent fellow.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what book does the captain say exists the "chapter of accidents"?
2. How far from the mainland does the Sephora's skipper estimate his ship is anchored in Part 2?
3. Where would Legatt hide regularly during the day?
4. How should Legatt get to the water from the captain's ship?
5. What order does Leggatt claim the Sephora's skipper never gave but claimed to have given to the captain of the unnamed ship?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)