|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What institution did both the captain and the mysterious man attend?
(a) Norfolk Provincial.
(b) The India Trading School.
2. What does the captain remark on as he takes Legatt below the ship?
(a) Legatt's leg is bleeding.
(b) Legatt's tatoo is very unique.
(c) Legatt's face is awfully thin.
(d) Legatt's arm is bleeding.
3. What alternative does the mysterious stranger weigh against boarding the narrator's ship?
(a) Diving to the bottom of the gulf.
(b) Sinking from exhaustion.
(c) Strangling himself.
(d) Sleeping on the rope ladder.
4. Where does the captain put the stranger for the rest of the night after their stories have been exchanged?
(a) His bathroom.
(b) His bed.
(c) His couch.
(d) Behind his desk.
5. How deep does the Sephora draw, according to the second mate?
(a) Fifteen feet.
(b) 80 feet.
(c) Twenty feet.
(d) Ten feet.
6. How many people are on deck at the beginning of the story?
7. What does Legatt drag behind him as he swims?
(a) His gun.
(b) His clothes.
(c) His bag.
(d) None of these.
8. Since what time does the mysterious man claim to have been in the water?
(b) 4 o'clock.
(c) 8 o'clock.
(d) 9 o'clock.
9. What keeps the captain from sleeping the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) The strangeness of himself and his arrangement.
(b) The storm that night.
(c) The ship's foreign destination.
(d) The unusual crew aboard the ship.
10. How did the captain react after Legatt's story?
(a) He remained calm.
(b) He was clearly nervous.
(c) None of these.
(d) He was wondering what to do with Legatt.
11. How did Legatt escape from his incarceration?
(a) The brig door was left unlocked.
(b) The captain's cabin door was left unlocked.
(c) The jail door was left unlocked.
(d) His cabin door was left unlocked.
12. At what does the stranger stare through the porthole while relating his tale to the captain?
(a) A star.
(b) The Sephora.
(d) An islet.
13. What is Legatt happy to have toward the end of his swim in the sea?
(a) His dignity.
(b) His previous ship behind him.
(c) The strength to continue.
(d) A destination to swim toward.
14. Which crew member comes from the Sephora?
(a) The chief mate.
(b) The second mate.
(c) None of them.
(d) The engineer.
15. Where is the captain as the story opens?
(a) On the tug boat.
(b) On the docks.
(c) In a row boat.
(d) On his new ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbs the captain's "comfort of quiet communion" with his ship at the story's beginning?
2. Where is the chief mate's ink well located?
3. On the crew, who is the "odd ball" or the odd man out?
4. How does the stranger report having made his clothes sink?
5. How did the boat get to its location at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)