|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the captain remark on as he takes Legatt below the ship?
(a) Legatt's leg is bleeding.
(b) Legatt's face is awfully thin.
(c) Legatt's arm is bleeding.
(d) Legatt's tatoo is very unique.
2. What does Legatt tell the captain the person he murdered would do or not do?
(a) The person murdered wouldn't work.
(b) The person murdered wouldn't allow others to do their job.
(c) None of these.
(d) Both of these.
3. What position did the captain hold previously?
(a) He was captain of another ship.
(b) He was a chief mate.
(c) It's unknown.
(d) He was an engineer.
4. What disturbs the captain's "comfort of quiet communion" with his ship at the story's beginning?
(a) His chief mate.
(b) Rough waves.
(c) An ominous noise.
(d) The stars.
5. What order does the captain give to his second when the latter comes on deck?
(a) To listen closely for sounds of distress.
(b) To keep an eye on the waves.
(c) To watch for the wind.
(d) To watch for storms.
6. What color are the curtains around the captain's bed?
7. What shape is the hill on which the pagoda at the story's beginning sits?
8. What position had Legatt held on his ship?
(a) Deck hand.
(b) Second mate.
(c) Chief mate.
9. What does the captain do the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) He walks along the deck.
(b) Decides the sea most likely doesn't hold any discomforting surprises.
(c) Watches the nearby ship.
(d) All of these.
10. What does the captain need to learn now that he is on board the ship?
(a) How to win the battle against sea sickness.
(b) How to navigate the open water.
(c) How to effectively manage his crew.
(d) How the ship operates.
11. Who asks "Might you call him out quietly sir?"
(a) The captain.
(c) The second mate.
(d) The chief mate.
12. Where did the stranger first hide from those searching for him after he escaped the Sephora?
(a) On the unnamed ship.
(b) The nearest islet.
(c) Under the Sephora.
(d) On the tugboat.
13. What time does the captain remain on deck until the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(b) Eleven o'clock p.m.
(c) Two o'clock a.m.
(d) One o'clock a.m.
14. What does the captain hear when he is below the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) The sound of whispers.
(b) The sound of his crew snoring.
(c) The sound of the boat creaking.
(d) The sound of a small row boat approaching.
15. At what time does the captain sit on his couch?
(a) 3 am.
(b) 5 am.
(c) 9 am.
(d) 2 am.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since what time does the mysterious man claim to have been in the water?
2. What keeps the captain from sleeping the night they see a strange ship approaching?
3. Where does the captain go at the very end of Part I?
4. What is the ship approaching the crew's ship carrying?
5. Who is the next youngest member of the crew?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)