|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does the mysterious stranger say the skipper of the Sephora had been without sleep?
(a) Six days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two days.
(d) A week.
2. Through what straits did the stranger ask the captain of the Sephora to leave his door unlocked?
(a) The Gibraltar Straits.
(b) The Java Straits.
(c) The Angier Straits.
(d) The Sunda Straits.
3. What bizarre, mysterious inquiry does the stranger make without being explicitly quoted in the text?
(a) Where are we?
(b) What time is it?
(c) Where is the sultan?
(d) Who am I?
4. What does the captain go below for the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) A book.
(b) A drink.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A gun.
5. Where is the chief mate's ink well located?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) Next to his bed.
(c) Both of these.
(d) On his writing desk.
6. What does the captain do the night they see a strange ship approaching?
(a) He walks along the deck.
(b) Watches the nearby ship.
(c) Decides the sea most likely doesn't hold any discomforting surprises.
(d) All of these.
7. Where does the captain put the stranger for the rest of the night after their stories have been exchanged?
(a) His bed.
(b) His couch.
(c) His bathroom.
(d) Behind his desk.
8. What features does the captain notice about Legatt?
(a) His light eyes.
(b) His small, brown mustache.
(c) All of these.
(d) His heavy, dark eyebrows.
9. What did Legatt do with the articles he removed while swimming in the sea?
(a) None of these.
(b) He used them to distract a shark.
(c) He let them sink on their own.
(d) He tied them to a rock so they would sink.
10. What shape is the captain's stateroom?
(a) A hexagon.
(b) An L.
(c) A T.
(d) A plain rectangle.
11. What could potentially cause tension and frustration between the crew and their new captain?
(a) The captain would be giving orders to a crew that is older than he is.
(b) The captain would be giving orders to a crew that is younger than him.
(c) The captain would be giving orders to a crew that has more experience than him.
(d) The captain would be giving orders to a crew that does not speak the same language as him.
12. At what location did the stranger ask to speak with the captain of the Sephora?
(b) Java Head.
13. Upon what do the hands of both the captain and the strange man rest?
(a) The skylight.
(b) The rail.
(c) The rigging.
(d) The hatch.
14. After focusing his eyes on the body at the end of the rope ladder, what does the captain notice?
(a) The body has a head of brown hair.
(b) None of these.
(c) The body has a head of black hair.
(d) The body has two legs.
15. What does the captain believe he sees floating in the sea very close to the ladder?
(a) The naked body of a woman.
(b) The clothed body of a man.
(c) The naked body of a man.
(d) The clothed body of a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT suggested as being at the narrator's left hand at the story's beginning?
2. What does the captain hear under the poop deck?
3. How long was the crew working practically night and day?
4. For how long did the Sephora drift about Carimata?
5. How far is the Sephora from the nearest real land when the stranger is relating his story to the captain?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)