|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the mysterious man's father?
2. What position had Legatt held on his ship?
(a) Chief mate.
(b) Second mate.
(d) Deck hand.
3. What do the stranger and the captain hear overhead after the stranger has finished telling his tale?
4. Behind what had the stranger been hiding upon the captain's arrival in the stateroom?
(a) The desk.
(b) The bed.
(d) A bookcase.
5. Until what time does the captain, in an unprecedented move, propose to take a watch himself?
(a) One in the morning.
(c) Eleven at night.
(d) Three in the morning.
6. What does the author compare the riding light to?
(a) The stars.
(b) A flame.
(c) The sun.
(d) A candle.
7. What did Legatt do with the articles he removed while swimming in the sea?
(a) He let them sink on their own.
(b) None of these.
(c) He tied them to a rock so they would sink.
(d) He used them to distract a shark.
8. What does the captain set to fixing as a repair of the breached discipline on his ship while on his watch?
(a) The poorly coiled aft ropes.
(b) The precise height of the mast-flag.
(c) The rope ladder.
(d) The foremast's rigging.
9. What faces the door of the captain's stateroom?
(a) A map.
(b) A coat rack.
(c) A bed.
(d) A desk.
10. Who is the next youngest member of the crew?
(a) The captain.
(b) The chief mate.
(c) The engineer.
(d) The second mate.
11. What alternative does the mysterious stranger weigh against boarding the narrator's ship?
(a) Diving to the bottom of the gulf.
(b) Sinking from exhaustion.
(c) Sleeping on the rope ladder.
(d) Strangling himself.
12. How does Legatt try to defend himself when he is accused of murder?
(a) He tries to blame another person.
(b) He has no defense.
(c) He tries to say that it was an accident.
(d) He runs away.
13. Where does the captain find the ship's rope ladder?
(a) Over the front of the ship.
(b) None of these.
(c) Over the side of the ship.
(d) Over the back of the ship.
14. What word best describes the weather over the recent evening?
15. From where has the mysterious man directly come?
(a) The wilderness.
(b) The tugboat.
(c) Another unnamed ship.
(d) The Sephora.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain watch leave once on board the ship?
2. What keeps the captain from sleeping the night they see a strange ship approaching?
3. Back on the top deck, the night they see a strange ship approaching, how does the captain describe the atmosphere?
4. Where is the captain as the story opens?
5. Where does the captain sit at his breakfast table?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)