|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "It's really impossible. Is it the same for all women? People get a fix. You do nothing, absolutely nothing"?
2. Who is laying in the bed in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Who are Isobel's business partners?
4. What does Katherine say is the problem with Irwin's work?
5. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marion compare Isobel to their father following the funeral in Act 1? How does Isobel respond?
2. What does Marion say about Isobel in the final scene?
3. What does Isobel ask Tom about the business deal in Act 2, Scene 2? How does he respond?
4. What is different about the embrace between Tom and Marion in the end of the play?
5. Why does Isobel hesitate in signing the contract with Tom and Marion?
6. What does Isobel tell Katherine about her coming to work for her? How does Katherine justify it?
7. What does Isobel say regarding the minister in Act 1 Scene 2?
8. Why does Katherine tell Isobel she is celebrating in Act 1, Scene 3?
9. What does Irwin say to Isobel after the others leave in Act 1, Scene 4? What is her response?
10. What is Marion's response when Isobel enters in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hare's use of symbolism and motif in The Secret Rapture. Define these terms and give examples in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of Imagery in The Secret Rapture. In your answer, define the terms "simile" and "metaphor." Give examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Irwin's actions and objectives in The Secret Rapture. What changes does his character undergo? What does he represent symbolically?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)