|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom offer when he enters in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who says, "The guns are getting nearer. God, will nobody leave us in peace"?
3. Who says, "People need power. Nuclear power is a cheap and effective way to provide it"?
4. Who is Tom married to?
5. In whose bedroom does Act 1, Scene 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marion compare Isobel to their father following the funeral in Act 1? How does Isobel respond?
2. Why is Isobel not around the office much in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does Marion come to the bedroom to get in Act 1, Scene 1? Why?
4. Who leaves a letter outside the door in Act 1, Scene 3? What does it say? What does Isobel say?
5. What sound is heard when Irwin enters in Act 1, Scene 4? What does he comment about it?
6. Why doesn't Marion like Katherine?
7. What is different about the embrace between Tom and Marion in the end of the play?
8. What is Isobel's response when Irwin tells her he loves her in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. How have Marion and Tom undermined Isobel in Act 1, Scene 4?
10. Why does Isobel tell Irwin she is gathering Katherine's things from the office in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Tom serve the play? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various conflicts in The Secret Rapture. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is the conflict established in the play? How does it shift?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Marion and Isobel. How are these characters alike? How are they different? What are the faults of each?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)