|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Isobel say that she hasn't seen Katherine drink in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Who says, "What this government is. Its loathsome materialism. The awful sanctification of greed"?
3. What sound does Isobel hear at the door in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is the name of the local pub referred to in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What is Katherine complaining about in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 4? What is taking place at the beginning of this scene?
2. What does Katherine remark about what else was in the room before? What does she say about Robert in regard to it?
3. What is different about the embrace between Tom and Marion in the end of the play?
4. What does Irwin suggest Isabel do about Katherine in Act 1, Scene 3? How does she respond?
5. How does Katherine express her feelings about Marion's job versus Isobel's?
6. What does Katherine say are her plans after Robert's death? Why is this a surprise?
7. What does Marion say about Isobel to Irwin after hearing about their breakup?
8. Where is Act 2, Scene 4 set? What is taking place?
9. What does Isobel say regarding the minister in Act 1 Scene 2?
10. What does Marion accuse Isobel of not wanting to do in Act 1, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Secret Rapture. What objects, people, or symbols are elements of foreshadowing that the author uses? How and when do these recur?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of the play. What does "The Secret Rapture" refer to? How does this apply to the themes and symbols in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the setting in The Secret Rapture. How would this play be different if set in another place or time period? Would it work? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)