|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Irwin say are like a hand enclosing his heart?
2. Who says, "Why do people think it's smart to be poor"?
3. Who sits in the chair in the dark in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Who does Katherine say IS the business in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. Which character is the protagonist in The Secret Rapture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main reason Gordon left the firm, according to Irwin?
2. What is Isobel's response when Irwin tells her he loves her in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Rhonda talk about with Irwin in Act 2?
4. Why doesn't Marion like Katherine?
5. How does Marion compare Isobel to their father following the funeral in Act 1? How does Isobel respond?
6. How does Isobel justify Katherine to her sister in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What does Marion say about Isobel in the final scene?
8. What does Isobel tell Irwin when he insists she make love to him in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. What does Tom bring in with him Act 1, Scene 4? What do they mean?
10. Where is Act 2, Scene 4 set? What is taking place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that "Dependency" plays in The Secret Rapture. Which characters are afflicted with dependencies? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of the play. What does "The Secret Rapture" refer to? How does this apply to the themes and symbols in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Protagonist of The Secret Rapture? What is this character's "Tragic Flaw?" Who or what is the Antagonist? Discuss how this play does or does not follow that of a traditional tragedy.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)