|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "People need power. Nuclear power is a cheap and effective way to provide it"?
2. Whose idea was it that everyone abstain from alcohol after the funeral?
3. What does Marion come to take in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What does Marion say that she and Tom are willing to do with Irwin's salary?
5. What does Marion say regarding Katherine in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Isobel tell Irwin she is gathering Katherine's things from the office in Act 2?
2. What does Tom say is the difference between men and women in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What does Katherine burst into the office with in Act 1, Scene 3? What is insensitive about her purchase?
4. How does Katherine express her feelings about Marion's job versus Isobel's?
5. What does Rhonda talk about with Irwin in Act 2?
6. Who leaves a letter outside the door in Act 1, Scene 3? What does it say? What does Isobel say?
7. What happened to Isobel the night at the movies with Irwin and Rhonda?
8. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1. What happens before anyone speaks?
9. How does Irwin compare himself to Katherine in Act 2, Scene 3? Why does he not understand Katherine's place with Isobel?
10. What does Marion ask Isobel about their father's death in Act 1, Scene 1? What does Isobel say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hare's unusual use of exposition in The Secret Rapture. What is the technique he employs in the play? What effect does this technique have?
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Tom serve the play? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hare's use of irony in The Secret Rapture. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the play.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)