|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Katherine carrying when she enters in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Irwin ask Isobel in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What sound is heard in the background throughout Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What drink do the characters drink after the funeral?
5. Who has Marion just met with before Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katherine complain about in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
2. What does Isobel tell Katherine about her coming to work for her? How does Katherine justify it?
3. What does Marion ask Isobel about their father's death in Act 1, Scene 1? What does Isobel say?
4. What does Marion say about Isobel to Irwin after hearing about their breakup?
5. Who does Katherine say wants to invest in the firm? Why?
6. Why doesn't Marion like Katherine?
7. What about Rhonda seems to turn Irwin on?
8. What is Isobel's response when Irwin tells her he loves her in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What happened to Isobel the night at the movies with Irwin and Rhonda?
10. What does Irwin ask Isobel about their future in Act 1, Scene 3? How does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does "The Emptiness of Success" relate to The Secret Rapture? What does this phrase mean to you? What does it mean to the characters in the play? Who embodies this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hare's unusual use of exposition in The Secret Rapture. What is the technique he employs in the play? What effect does this technique have?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Protagonist of The Secret Rapture? What is this character's "Tragic Flaw?" Who or what is the Antagonist? Discuss how this play does or does not follow that of a traditional tragedy.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)