Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine say she's celebrating in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Who says, "The best way--I was explaining this to Tom and Marion this morning--to get good work in our field is to leave people alone"?
3. What was Robert's profession?
4. What did Irwin paint when he was 17?
5. Who does Tom imply fixed his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marion say about Isobel in the final scene?
2. What sound is heard when Irwin enters in Act 1, Scene 4? What does he comment about it?
3. What does Isobel ask Tom about the business deal in Act 2, Scene 2? How does he respond?
4. What does Irwin ask Isobel about their future in Act 1, Scene 3? How does she respond?
5. Who is Irwin? What is he doing in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
6. Who leaves a letter outside the door in Act 1, Scene 3? What does it say? What does Isobel say?
7. What does Irwin say to Isobel after the others leave in Act 1, Scene 4? What is her response?
8. What is different about the embrace between Tom and Marion in the end of the play?
9. How does Irwin compare himself to Katherine in Act 2, Scene 3? Why does he not understand Katherine's place with Isobel?
10. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 4? What is taking place at the beginning of this scene?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hare's use of irony in The Secret Rapture. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hare's unusual use of exposition in The Secret Rapture. What is the technique he employs in the play? What effect does this technique have?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various conflicts in The Secret Rapture. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is the conflict established in the play? How does it shift?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)