|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Marion say was inadequate about the people she met with?
2. What does Irwin say that he does with everything?
3. Who is Tom married to?
4. Who was Robert's wife?
5. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Isobel the night at the movies with Irwin and Rhonda?
2. What does Katherine say are her plans after Robert's death? Why is this a surprise?
3. What does Katherine complain about in Act 2, Scene 3? How does Isobel respond?
4. What does Irwin say to Isobel after the others leave in Act 1, Scene 4? What is her response?
5. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2? Who is present at the beginning of this scene and what are they discussing?
6. What does Tom bring in with him Act 1, Scene 4? What do they mean?
7. How does Marion compare Isobel to their father following the funeral in Act 1? How does Isobel respond?
8. Why doesn't Marion like Katherine?
9. What does Katherine burst into the office with in Act 1, Scene 3? What is insensitive about her purchase?
10. Why does Irwin say that Rhonda is at the office in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hare's use of irony in The Secret Rapture. What are the three forms of irony? Give an example of each within the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hare's unusual use of exposition in The Secret Rapture. What is the technique he employs in the play? What effect does this technique have?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various conflicts in The Secret Rapture. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is the conflict established in the play? How does it shift?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)