|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Marion related to Isobel?
2. What does Marion do when Isobel calls her name in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What does Katherine say she had a "ridiculous relationship" with?
4. Where is the ring that Robert was wearing?
5. Who does Tom imply fixed his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rhonda say she'll do next time the politician calls her? What does she say about Marion's reaction to the story?
2. Where is Act 2, Scene 4 set? What is taking place?
3. What does Irwin suggest Isabel do about Katherine in Act 1, Scene 3? How does she respond?
4. How does Katherine express her feelings about Marion's job versus Isobel's?
5. What is taking place at the beginning of Act 2? Where does this scene take place?
6. What does Tom bring in with him Act 1, Scene 4? What do they mean?
7. What is Marion's response when Isobel enters in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1. What happens before anyone speaks?
9. Why does Isobel insist Katherine lock the deadbolt? What is her response?
10. How have Marion and Tom undermined Isobel in Act 1, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hare's unusual use of exposition in The Secret Rapture. What is the technique he employs in the play? What effect does this technique have?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that "Dependency" plays in The Secret Rapture. Which characters are afflicted with dependencies? How?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Tom serve the play? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)