|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Irwin say it's different for him than for Gordon?
2. What aspect is Isobel worried about with her transaction with Tom?
3. Who does Irwin say that Gordon looked like?
4. Who says, "Why do people think it's smart to be poor"?
5. Who does Irwin say that landed on Isobel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marion accuse Isobel of doing with the expansion in Act 2? How does Isobel respond?
2. How have Marion and Tom undermined Isobel in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1. What happens before anyone speaks?
4. What does Rhonda say she'll do next time the politician calls her? What does she say about Marion's reaction to the story?
5. Why does Isobel hesitate in signing the contract with Tom and Marion?
6. What does Katherine complain about in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
7. What is the main reason Gordon left the firm, according to Irwin?
8. Why is Isobel not around the office much in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Who leaves a letter outside the door in Act 1, Scene 3? What does it say? What does Isobel say?
10. Why doesn't Marion like Katherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hare's unusual use of exposition in The Secret Rapture. What is the technique he employs in the play? What effect does this technique have?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Protagonist of The Secret Rapture? What is this character's "Tragic Flaw?" Who or what is the Antagonist? Discuss how this play does or does not follow that of a traditional tragedy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the critical response of The Secret Rapture in London versus New York. What argument came about because of how the play was received in America? What do you think about this argument?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)