|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irwin ask Isobel in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Who leaves with Tom in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. How is Katherine related to Isobel?
4. What does Katherine say is the problem with Irwin's work?
5. What does Marion tell Isobel that Isobel has been in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isobel justify Katherine to her sister in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. How does Marion compare Isobel to their father following the funeral in Act 1? How does Isobel respond?
3. What truth does Marion admit about herself in the final scene?
4. What does Katherine say they taught her to do in AA when she was angry? How does she feel about it?
5. What does Marion say about Tom's trustworthiness in business in Act 1, Scene 4?
6. Why does Isobel suggest she stay alone with Katherine after the funeral? How does Marion respond?
7. Why is Isobel not around the office much in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. What does Isobel tell Katherine about her coming to work for her? How does Katherine justify it?
9. What is Isobel's response when Irwin tells her he loves her in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. Why does Isobel tell Irwin she is gathering Katherine's things from the office in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Katherine. Is this character a protagonist or antagonist? Mention her age, demeanor, and characteristics. How does she relate to the other characters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
How does "The Emptiness of Success" relate to The Secret Rapture? What does this phrase mean to you? What does it mean to the characters in the play? Who embodies this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Secret Rapture. What objects, people, or symbols are elements of foreshadowing that the author uses? How and when do these recur?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)