|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine say is the problem with Irwin's work?
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
3. Who says, "What this government is. Its loathsome materialism. The awful sanctification of greed"?
4. What did Irwin paint when he was 17?
5. Who leaves with Tom in Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marion say about Tom's trustworthiness in business in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What does Katherine complain about in Act 2, Scene 3? How does Isobel respond?
3. Why does Isobel suggest she stay alone with Katherine after the funeral? How does Marion respond?
4. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2? Who is present at the beginning of this scene and what are they discussing?
5. What is the main reason Gordon left the firm, according to Irwin?
6. Why does Isobel hesitate in signing the contract with Tom and Marion?
7. Why does Marion explode at Isobel in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1. What happens before anyone speaks?
9. What is taking place at the beginning of Act 2? Where does this scene take place?
10. What does Katherine complain about in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of the play. What does "The Secret Rapture" refer to? How does this apply to the themes and symbols in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Secret Rapture. What objects, people, or symbols are elements of foreshadowing that the author uses? How and when do these recur?
Essay Topic 3
How does "The Emptiness of Success" relate to The Secret Rapture? What does this phrase mean to you? What does it mean to the characters in the play? Who embodies this?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)