|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect is Isobel worried about with her transaction with Tom?
2. What did Robert leave to Katherine?
3. What does Irwin say that Gordon felt toward Isobel?
4. What sound is heard in the background throughout Act 1, Scene 4?
5. Who dressed Robert for the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katherine tell Isobel she is celebrating in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Katherine say they taught her to do in AA when she was angry? How does she feel about it?
3. What is Marion's response when Isobel enters in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What interrupts the seduction between Irwin and Rhonda in Act 2?
5. How does Irwin compare himself to Katherine in Act 2, Scene 3? Why does he not understand Katherine's place with Isobel?
6. What does Irwin suggest Isabel do about Katherine in Act 1, Scene 3? How does she respond?
7. What does Marion accuse Isobel of doing with the expansion in Act 2? How does Isobel respond?
8. What does Irwin say to Isobel after the others leave in Act 1, Scene 4? What is her response?
9. Where is Act 2, Scene 4 set? What is taking place?
10. What does Isobel say regarding the minister in Act 1 Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the critical response of The Secret Rapture in London versus New York. What argument came about because of how the play was received in America? What do you think about this argument?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various conflicts in The Secret Rapture. Which characters embody internal conflict? Where is the conflict established in the play? How does it shift?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Tom serve the play? What is the literary term that may be applied to him? What are his major characteristics? What does he represent symbolically?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)