|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Collin wake up so happy the morning after his tantrum?
2. Why is Mary so exultant when she comes to see Collin the morning after his tantrum?
3. How long does Collin have to wait to see the garden after he meets Dickon?
4. What does Mrs. Medlock tell the head gardener about the new goings on in the house just before Collin goes out for the first time?
5. What does Collin do as he is taken into the Garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mary learn had made her so unpopular her whole life?
2. What does Colin threaten to do to Mary to make sure she will come to visit him?
3. What does Colin realize as he and Mary view all the different portraits in Misselthwaite Manor?
4. Why is Colin now able to take the curtain off of his mother's portrait?
5. Why did Ben continue pruning the secret garden after Mr. Craven had ordered it to be locked up?
6. What does Colin plant in the garden on his first visit there?
7. What does Colin chant as part of his experiment to use magic to get well?
8. What does Dickon add to Colin's daily routine to help him grow strong?
9. After Mary first meets Colin, what do Mary and Dickon think would be a big help to Colin?
10. The day after Colin's tantrum, what does Dr. Craven prescribe for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author carefully worded the titles of each chapter in this book. Choose three of these titles and write about how that title fully captures the theme and events of that chapter.
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy was an extremely important theme of this book. What were some of the most highly guarded secrets, and how did these secrets affect those who were a part of them? Is secrecy a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in two key settings. What are these two settings, and what are the main similarities and differences between them? How do these settings affect the outcome of the plot? Make sure to cite some examples from the book to support your ideas.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)