|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Robin doing on the first nice day after all the rain?
2. What kept Ben from fully keeping his promise to Mrs. Craven?
3. What does Collin think is making him well in the Garden?
4. How does Dickon's mother know that Mr. Craven is on his way home?
5. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mary learn had made her so unpopular her whole life?
2. What does Colin do when he first sees his mother's garden?
3. After Mary first meets Colin, what do Mary and Dickon think would be a big help to Colin?
4. As she listens to Mary and Colin interact outside Colin's door the day after his tantrum, what is Medlock so amazed by?
5. What does Colin announce to his nurse after Dr. Craven leaves following the examination?
6. Why is Colin now able to take the curtain off of his mother's portrait?
7. Why did Ben continue pruning the secret garden after Mr. Craven had ordered it to be locked up?
8. Why is Mary so hesitant to tell Colin that she has found the garden?
9. Where does Dickon's mother tell Colin that he will find his mother?
10. What does Colin threaten to do to Mary to make sure she will come to visit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary finds that for the first time, there are people in her life whom she likes. List five of these people and explain what they did to earn Mary's sacred regard for them.
Essay Topic 2
Susan Sowerby was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Susan Sowerby had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
The author carefully worded the titles of each chapter in this book. Choose three of these titles and write about how that title fully captures the theme and events of that chapter.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)