|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Collin unhappy when he sees Mary with her hat on?
2. What does Collin do on his first day in the Garden while Mary and Dickon work?
3. What is Collin most afraid will give away his improving health to the staff?
4. What does Collin do when he hears what Mary plans to do after lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
5. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colin realize as he and Mary view all the different portraits in Misselthwaite Manor?
2. Why did Ben continue pruning the secret garden after Mr. Craven had ordered it to be locked up?
3. Why is Colin now able to take the curtain off of his mother's portrait?
4. What does Mary do to calm Colin down from his hysterics?
5. What does Dickon add to Colin's daily routine to help him grow strong?
6. On the day after Colin's tantrum, what does Mary do for him that makes him laugh?
7. Why is Mary so hesitant to tell Colin that she has found the garden?
8. Why did no one in the garden feel that Mrs. Sowerby was intruding when she came into the garden unannounced?
9. Why does Mary give Colin the nickname of 'Rajah'?
10. What is Colin afraid will give away his improving health to the staff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author carefully worded the titles of each chapter in this book. Choose three of these titles and write about how that title fully captures the theme and events of that chapter.
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Nature is an integral theme in this book and accounts for a great deal of the changes in plot direction. What are some of the places that nature appeared, and how did it work to alter the plot?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)