|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
2. Why is Collin so angry about being called a cripple?
3. What is Mary's nick-name for Collin?
4. Why is Collin unhappy when he sees Mary with her hat on?
5. What is Mary awakened by in the night after her first fight with Colin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did no one in the garden feel that Mrs. Sowerby was intruding when she came into the garden unannounced?
2. What does Dickon add to Colin's daily routine to help him grow strong?
3. What does Colin plant in the garden on his first visit there?
4. What does Mary do to calm Colin down from his hysterics?
5. As she listens to Mary and Colin interact outside Colin's door the day after his tantrum, what is Medlock so amazed by?
6. What is Colin afraid will give away his improving health to the staff?
7. What gift does Mary find from her uncle when she gets to her room after her fight with Colin?
8. The day after Colin's tantrum, what does Dr. Craven prescribe for him?
9. What does Colin threaten to do to Mary to make sure she will come to visit him?
10. Where does Dickon's mother tell Colin that he will find his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Dickon's animals were almost always present with him throughout the course of the story. Who are some of these animals, and why were they so important to the setting of the book? Why did the author feel it was so important o include them in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Colin introduces the theme of magic in this book. Where are some of the key places that this theme appears, and how do these events alter the plot of the book?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)