|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dickon tell Mary about the work she has done without his help in the garden?
2. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
3. How long has the Secret Garden been locked up when Mary enters it?
4. What does Mary tell Martha she wants after her first time inside the Secret Garden?
5. How does Mary find the door of the Secret Garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. After meeting her cousin for the first time, what does Mary do before she leaves him?
2. How large is Martha's family?
3. What strikes Mary as odd about the people in Yorkshire?
4. What is the source of the crying sound that Mary has been hearing at night?
5. How does Mary feel about Martha's mother from the stories Martha has told Mary about her?
6. Why does Mr. Craven decide to finally meet Mary?
7. What does Mrs. Sowerby purchase for Mary to make her happy?
8. What does Mary do when she plays outside in India?
9. What is Mrs. Medlock's first impression of Mary?
10. What does Mary think about her mother at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Colin at the the end of the book, and what deeper meanings does this event imply? How does this one event change Colin's life and perspective and why do you think the author placed this scene where he did?
Essay Topic 3
Colin introduces the theme of magic in this book. Where are some of the key places that this theme appears, and how do these events alter the plot of the book?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)