|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary say when someone asks her if she likes herself?
2. Why does Mary's uncle want to see her when he returns from his journey?
3. What does Mary think she hears at night in Misselthwaite?
4. Why is Mary so disappointed to hear the rain falling when she awakes the night after meeting her uncle?
5. Why will Mary not see much of her uncle while she is at Misselthwaite Manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the large tapestry on the second floor of Misselthwaite Manor hiding?
2. What is the first thing that Mary hears when she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor?
3. What is the source of the crying sound that Mary has been hearing at night?
4. What does Ben say about Mary after she has been at Misselthwaite Manor for a month?
5. Why is Mary so surprised to hear that Dickon likes her when the two first meet?
6. How does Mary feel about Martha's mother from the stories Martha has told Mary about her?
7. When she first enters the garden, what does Mary do to help something start to grow?
8. What does the Robin show Mary at the bottom of a hole?
9. What do most people think of Mary when they first meet her at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Ben Weatherstaff say about Mary when he sees her with her new gift from Mrs. Sowerby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Mary and Colin change through the course of the book and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Nature is an integral theme in this book and accounts for a great deal of the changes in plot direction. What are some of the places that nature appeared, and how did it work to alter the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)