|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary react whenever she sees her mother in Chapter 1?
2. Why is Mary always given her way at the beginning of the book?
3. What causes Mary to go outside to the gardens, even on cold and windy days?
4. How old is Mary when she chases away her first English governess?
5. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary tell Martha that she wants after her first time inside the garden?
2. What is Mrs. Medlock's first impression of Mary?
3. Who/what is the first living creature to which Mary makes a connection?
4. What does Mrs. Medlock think about the moor?
5. When wandering around inside on a rainy day, what interesting fact does Mary find about the rooms on the second floor?
6. What does Mary tell Dickon about her garden after she has sworn him to secrecy?
7. What does Mary think about her mother at the beginning of the book?
8. What strikes Mary as odd about the people in Yorkshire?
9. What does Ben Weatherstaff say about Mary when he sees her with her new gift from Mrs. Sowerby?
10. What does Mary do that causes her appetite to increase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in two key settings. What are these two settings, and what are the main similarities and differences between them? How do these settings affect the outcome of the plot? Make sure to cite some examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy was an extremely important theme of this book. What were some of the most highly guarded secrets, and how did these secrets affect those who were a part of them? Is secrecy a good thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the key to the garden influence the course of the story and what important cautions were given to those who used it?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)