|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Mary never seen or heard about Collin?
2. Who is sent to pick Mary up to take her to her new home?
3. How did Mrs. Craven die?
4. What does Dickon tell Mary about the work she has done without his help in the garden?
5. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nickname is Mary given when she temporarily lives with a clergyman in England?
2. What does Mrs. Medlock think about the moor?
3. Who is Mary being sent to live with once she is orphaned?
4. What is the source of the crying sound that Mary has been hearing at night?
5. What is Mrs. Medlock's first impression of Mary?
6. Why does Mary rarely see her parents while living in India?
7. What does Ben Weatherstaff say about Mary when he sees her with her new gift from Mrs. Sowerby?
8. What strikes Mary as odd about the people in Yorkshire?
9. What does Mrs. Sowerby purchase for Mary to make her happy?
10. Who/what is the first living creature to which Mary makes a connection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colin introduces the theme of magic in this book. Where are some of the key places that this theme appears, and how do these events alter the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How do Mary and Colin change through the course of the book and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the key to the garden influence the course of the story and what important cautions were given to those who used it?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)