|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary suggest that she and Collin do on the first day that it is too rainy for Collin to go out in the Garden?
(a) Explore the many rooms at Misselthwaite.
(b) Read about the proper care of a garden.
(c) Write to his father.
(d) Help in the kitchen for extra food.
2. What does Collin do as he is taken into the Garden?
(a) He tries to walk.
(b) He sings a song of joy.
(c) He notes every detail as they pass.
(d) He closes his eyes.
3. What caused Collin's hysterics during the night?
(a) He missed Mary.
(b) He felt a lump on his back.
(c) His father left without seeing him.
(d) Mrs. Medlock told him he was going to die.
4. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
5. How is Collin feeling the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Ill and feverish.
(b) Timid and apologetic.
(c) Lively and happy.
(d) Tired and grumpy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Collin do on his first day in the Garden while Mary and Dickon work?
2. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
3. What does Mary make Collin do before telling him that she has found his mother's garden?
4. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
5. What does Collin do as the sun goes down on his first day in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben do when he starts to climb over the wall of the garden and sees Mary there?
2. Why is Colin now able to take the curtain off of his mother's portrait?
3. What does Mary tell Colin once he has calmed down from his hysterics?
4. What does Colin plant in the garden on his first visit there?
5. On the day after Colin's tantrum, what does Mary do for him that makes him laugh?
6. What did Mary learn had made her so unpopular her whole life?
7. Why did no one in the garden feel that Mrs. Sowerby was intruding when she came into the garden unannounced?
8. What does Colin do when he first sees his mother's garden?
9. Why did Ben continue pruning the secret garden after Mr. Craven had ordered it to be locked up?
10. What does Colin chant as part of his experiment to use magic to get well?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)