|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A book.
(c) A packet of seeds.
(d) A skipping rope.
2. What did Mr. Craven do with the key of the Secret Garden?
(a) He put in on a necklace and wears it.
(b) He placed it on his wife's headstone.
(c) He buried it.
(d) He melted it.
3. How does Mary find the door of the Secret Garden?
(a) Wind blows the ivy enough for her to see it.
(b) She feels along the entire wall looking for it.
(c) The robin shows her.
(d) She asks Ben.
4. What causes Mary to go outside to the gardens, even on cold and windy days?
5. Why is Mary always given her way at the beginning of the book?
(a) The doctors are afraid crying will weaken her sickly frame.
(b) Her mother is loving and never wants her to be unhappy.
(c) The servants are a lower class than her and must obey her will.
(d) The servants don't want her to cry and anger her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
2. What does Mary say when someone asks her if she likes herself?
3. What does Mary tell Martha she wants after her first time inside the Secret Garden?
4. Why is Martha so sad to see most of Mary's breakfast go untouched?
5. How does Mary learn about what to do in the garden after she finds it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the source of the crying sound that Mary has been hearing at night?
2. What does Mrs. Sowerby purchase for Mary to make her happy?
3. What is the first thing that Mary hears when she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor?
4. Why is Mary so surprised to hear that Dickon likes her when the two first meet?
5. What nickname is Mary given when she temporarily lives with a clergyman in England?
6. Why does Mr. Craven decide to finally meet Mary?
7. Who is Mary being sent to live with once she is orphaned?
8. What does Mary tell Dickon about her garden after she has sworn him to secrecy?
9. Why does Mary rarely see her parents while living in India?
10. What does Mary do that causes her appetite to increase?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)