|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT an animal that was near Dickon when Mary first meets him?
2. Who wakes up Mary on her first morning at Misslethwaite Manor?
(a) Martha making a fire.
(b) Mrs. Medlock with Mary's breakfast.
(c) Collin crying.
(d) Archibald Craven as he is leaving in his carriage.
3. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
(b) He thinks she is too old.
(c) He forgot her.
(d) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
4. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
(a) They all have funny hats.
(b) They walk funny.
(c) They speak funny.
(d) They are wearing funny clothes.
5. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
(a) A child crying.
(b) The wind roaring.
(c) A man laughing.
(d) A woman screaming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary call the Garden in her mind after she finds it?
2. Who does Mary want to meet after hearing all of Martha's stories?
3. How long has the Secret Garden been locked up when Mary enters it?
4. Who takes Mary in temporarily after her parents die?
5. What does Mary decide to do on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strikes Mary as odd about the people in Yorkshire?
2. What does Mary tell Martha that she wants after her first time inside the garden?
3. After meeting her cousin for the first time, what does Mary do before she leaves him?
4. What is the source of the crying sound that Mary has been hearing at night?
5. Who is Mary being sent to live with once she is orphaned?
6. What does Mary do when she plays outside in India?
7. How large is Martha's family?
8. What is Mary most afraid of when she first brings Dickon to her garden?
9. What does Mary tell Dickon about her garden after she has sworn him to secrecy?
10. Why does Mary rarely see her parents while living in India?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)