|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Collin wake up so happy the morning after his tantrum?
(a) He knows he will get to see Mary.
(b) He is excited for the plans he and Mary have made.
(c) He feels that he is getting well.
(d) He knows his father is coming to see him.
2. What does Mary ask Collin to not talk about with her anymore?
(a) Being sick.
(b) His mother.
(d) The garden.
3. What is the first thing that Collin plants in the Garden?
(a) A tree.
(b) A lily.
(c) A rose.
(d) A fern.
4. Why does Collin not mind keeping the curtain open over the picture of his mother as he begins to get well?
(a) He is no longer angry with her for leaving.
(b) He feels she is happy to be with him now.
(c) He hopes her picture will bring his father to visit him.
(d) He misses her.
5. What surprises Martha about Mary's chance meeting Collin?
(a) She did not get lost on her way.
(b) His nurse was not there.
(c) He did not throw a tantrum.
(d) She was able to find him.
6. Why did the nurse never do what Mary did for Collin during his hysterics?
(a) She thought he wanted space.
(b) She was afraid is would hurt him.
(c) She did not know what Collin was upset about.
(d) She thought it would upset him.
7. What does Mary find in the Garden when she is finally able to return to it after all the rain?
(a) A small finch family.
(b) A hawk.
(c) The robin.
(d) A crow.
8. What does Mrs. Sowerby send Collin one day in the Garden?
(a) A skipping rope like Mary's.
(b) A book about gardening.
(c) Fresh fruit.
(d) Fresh milk and buns.
9. What does Collin realize as he stands up from weeding in the garden one day?
(a) He loves Mary and Dickon.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is ready to show his father his progress.
(d) He is truly well.
10. What caused Collin's hysterics during the night?
(a) His father left without seeing him.
(b) Mrs. Medlock told him he was going to die.
(c) He missed Mary.
(d) He felt a lump on his back.
11. Who joins the circle that Collin creates as he tells Mary and Dickon of his future plans?
(a) The wind.
(c) The robin.
12. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
13. What does Collin have to do to keep his secret as he begins to get well?
(a) Lie to his father about his progress.
(b) Throw mock tantrums.
(c) Pretend to be sick.
(d) Swear some of his staff to secrecy.
14. What is Collin most afraid will give away his improving health to the staff?
(a) His walking.
(b) His coloring.
(c) His appetite.
(d) His weight.
15. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Swear him to secrecy.
(b) Show him into the garden.
(c) Give him the key.
(d) Invite him into the secret.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Collin think is making him well in the Garden?
2. What does Mary choose to do after her lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
3. What is beside Dickon as he works in the garden on the first nice day after all the rain?
4. Who does Dickon tell about the Garden with Mary's permission?
5. What does Collin do when the surprise visitor to the Garden calls Collin a cripple?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)