|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Collin feeling the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Tired and grumpy.
(b) Ill and feverish.
(c) Lively and happy.
(d) Timid and apologetic.
2. What is Mary awakened by in the night after her first fight with Colin?
(a) Martha's crying.
(b) Doors being opened and closed and the rushing of feet.
(c) Collin screaming.
(d) Collin's nurse.
3. Who enters the garden while Collin, Dickon and Mary are expressing their thanks to the garden and its magic?
(b) Mrs. Sowerby.
(c) Dr. Craven.
(d) Collin's nurse.
4. Why is Mary so exultant when she comes to see Collin the morning after his tantrum?
(a) Her uncle is on his way home.
(b) The wind is blowing.
(c) Dickon is here.
(d) Spring has come.
5. Who does Collin say he wants to be as strong as?
(b) His father.
(d) Ben Weatherstaff.
6. Why did the nurse never do what Mary did for Collin during his hysterics?
(a) She was afraid is would hurt him.
(b) She thought he wanted space.
(c) She did not know what Collin was upset about.
(d) She thought it would upset him.
7. What is the Robin doing on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Singing his joy about the warmth.
(b) Building a nest.
(c) Gathering nuts and berries.
(d) Trying to find a mate.
8. What does Collin do on his first day in the Garden while Mary and Dickon work?
(a) He sits and watches.
(b) He ponders about magic.
(c) He sings.
(d) He asks Dickon loads of questions.
9. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Invite him into the secret.
(b) Show him into the garden.
(c) Give him the key.
(d) Swear him to secrecy.
10. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
(a) Bewitched him.
(b) Scared him.
(c) Surprised him.
(d) Been kind to him.
11. What does Collin do as he is taken into the Garden?
(a) He sings a song of joy.
(b) He tries to walk.
(c) He closes his eyes.
(d) He notes every detail as they pass.
12. Why is Collin not able to walk?
(a) He is wearing a brace.
(b) His legs are weak.
(c) His legs are bent.
(d) He never learned.
13. Why is Collin unhappy when he sees Mary with her hat on?
(a) He dislikes people wearing hats in the house.
(b) She is not wearing the hat he gave her.
(c) She looks dull and tired in her hat.
(d) He knows she is leaving him to go outside.
14. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(c) His father.
(d) Mrs. Medlock.
15. What does Collin have to do to keep his secret as he begins to get well?
(a) Lie to his father about his progress.
(b) Pretend to be sick.
(c) Swear some of his staff to secrecy.
(d) Throw mock tantrums.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to distract Collin from the tree that killed his mother?
2. How long does Collin have to wait to see the garden after he meets Dickon?
3. What does Dickon tell Mary to do for Collin to make him laugh the morning after his hysterics?
4. Who does Collin's nurse ask help from during Collin's hysterics?
5. What does Ben suggest that Collin do to show thanks to the garden and its magic?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)