|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ben do after Mr. Craven ordered the garden be shut up?
(a) He hid the key himself.
(b) He continued to climb over the wall and tend the garden.
(c) He plead with Mr. Craven to allow him in the garden.
(d) He threw seeds over the wall hoping they would sprout.
2. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Invite him into the secret.
(b) Swear him to secrecy.
(c) Give him the key.
(d) Show him into the garden.
3. Who does Collin say he wants to be as strong as?
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
(d) His father.
4. What is beside Dickon as he works in the garden on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) A lamb.
(b) A red fox.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A deer.
5. What happens to distract Collin from the tree that killed his mother?
(a) They hear distant thunder.
(b) Dickon starts singing a song.
(c) The robin flies in.
(d) They see a lamb jumping through the flowers.
6. What does Mary choose to do after her lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Return to work in the garden.
(b) Visit Collin.
(c) Ask her uncle for permission to be in the Garden.
(d) Meet Dickon's mother.
7. What does Dickon tell Mary to do for Collin to make him laugh the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Tell him about all of the animals in the garden.
(b) Speak to him in Yorkshire.
(c) Describe the garden in detail.
(d) Tickle him.
8. What has Dickon named his tamed squirrels?
(a) Sugar and Spice.
(b) Bill and Bob.
(c) Chitter and Chatter.
(d) Nut and Shell.
9. What does Mary ask Collin to not talk about with her anymore?
(b) Being sick.
(c) The garden.
(d) His mother.
10. Why is Collin not able to walk?
(a) His legs are weak.
(b) He is wearing a brace.
(c) His legs are bent.
(d) He never learned.
11. How does Dickon's mother know that Mr. Craven is on his way home?
(a) He wrote to her telling her he was on his way.
(b) She wrote to him telling him to come home.
(c) She asked him when he left how long he would be.
(d) She can sense these things.
12. What does Mary decide to do after receiving her gift from her uncle after her fight with Collin?
(a) Take him to the garden.
(b) Write him a letter.
(c) Go to see him in the morning.
(d) Bring Dickon in to meet him.
13. Why does Collin wake up so happy the morning after his tantrum?
(a) He knows he will get to see Mary.
(b) He feels that he is getting well.
(c) He is excited for the plans he and Mary have made.
(d) He knows his father is coming to see him.
14. What kept Ben from fully keeping his promise to Mrs. Craven?
(a) He got too busy with his other chores.
(b) His arthritus.
(c) The orders from Mr. Craven.
(d) His fear of her ghost in the garden.
15. What is the first thing that Collin plants in the Garden?
(a) A tree.
(b) A lily.
(c) A rose.
(d) A fern.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Collin's nurse doing as Mary storms out of Collin's room?
2. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
3. What is the Robin doing on the first nice day after all the rain?
4. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
5. What does Mr. Craven send Mary after she asks for her bit of earth?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)