|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Swear him to secrecy.
(b) Invite him into the secret.
(c) Show him into the garden.
(d) Give him the key.
2. What does Mary choose to do after her lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Visit Collin.
(b) Return to work in the garden.
(c) Ask her uncle for permission to be in the Garden.
(d) Meet Dickon's mother.
3. Who does Collin say he wants to be as strong as?
(b) His father.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
4. How long does Collin have to wait to see the garden after he meets Dickon?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) A day.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A week.
5. Why does Collin keep the portrait of his mother covered?
(a) It makes him sad.
(b) It scares him.
(c) He is angry with her for dying.
(d) He thinks she is laughing at him
6. Why is Collin so restless on the first day it is too rainy for him to go out to the Garden?
(a) He hates knowing that the staff thinks he is crippled.
(b) He is nervous about seeing his father.
(c) He has not had to sit so still for a long time.
(d) He is nervous about someone figuring out his secret.
7. What is Collin most afraid will give away his improving health to the staff?
(a) His walking.
(b) His appetite.
(c) His weight.
(d) His coloring.
8. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
9. What happens to distract Collin from the tree that killed his mother?
(a) They see a lamb jumping through the flowers.
(b) The robin flies in.
(c) They hear distant thunder.
(d) Dickon starts singing a song.
10. What does Mrs. Medlock tell the head gardener about the new goings on in the house just before Collin goes out for the first time?
(a) Things are getting better.
(b) Mary is a nuisance.
(c) She is afraid of the consequences of all these new plans.
(d) Collin will get sicker.
11. What is Mary's nick-name for Collin?
12. Who does Mary see Collin being rude to after his first day in the Garden?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(c) Mrs. Medlock.
(d) His nurse.
13. What caused Collin's hysterics during the night?
(a) He missed Mary.
(b) He felt a lump on his back.
(c) Mrs. Medlock told him he was going to die.
(d) His father left without seeing him.
14. What does Mary find in the Garden when she is finally able to return to it after all the rain?
(a) A crow.
(b) The robin.
(c) A small finch family.
(d) A hawk.
15. What does Mr. Craven send Mary after she asks for her bit of earth?
(a) A box of seeds.
(b) A picture of her mother.
(c) A letter asking her to befriend Collin.
(d) Beautiful books about gardening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
2. What does Collin do when the surprise visitor to the Garden calls Collin a cripple?
3. What does Dickon's mother say about the skylark's song in the morning?
4. What does Collin think Mrs. Sowerby has after he receives her kind gift in the Garden?
5. Why does Mary say no one has ever called Collin out on his rudeness?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)