|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Collin feeling the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Timid and apologetic.
(b) Lively and happy.
(c) Tired and grumpy.
(d) Ill and feverish.
2. What does Ben suggest that Collin do to show thanks to the garden and its magic?
(a) Write his father.
(b) Say the Lord's prayer.
(c) Go to church.
(d) Sing the Doxology.
3. Who does Collin long to tell about the magic that he is witnessing all around him as he begins to get well?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(b) His father.
(c) Mrs. Medlock.
(d) His mother.
4. What does Mary threaten to do when Collin says he will send Dickon away?
(a) Never see him again.
(b) Never take him to the Garden.
(c) Go to live with Dickon and his mother.
(d) Never speak to him again.
5. What is Mary awakened by in the night after her first fight with Colin?
(a) Doors being opened and closed and the rushing of feet.
(b) Collin's nurse.
(c) Collin screaming.
(d) Martha's crying.
6. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Give him the key.
(b) Show him into the garden.
(c) Swear him to secrecy.
(d) Invite him into the secret.
7. What did Ben do after Mr. Craven ordered the garden be shut up?
(a) He threw seeds over the wall hoping they would sprout.
(b) He continued to climb over the wall and tend the garden.
(c) He plead with Mr. Craven to allow him in the garden.
(d) He hid the key himself.
8. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
(a) He thinks Dickon is smart as a whip.
(b) He thinks Dickon is a bit eccentric.
(c) He thinks Dickon is an enchanter.
(d) He thinks Dickon is a fine lad.
9. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
(a) Bewitched him.
(b) Surprised him.
(c) Been kind to him.
(d) Scared him.
10. What does Dickon's mother say about the skylark's song in the morning?
(a) They are singing the doxology.
(b) They are laughing.
(c) They are praying.
(d) They are praising God.
11. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(b) Mrs. Medlock.
(d) His father.
12. What does Mary make Collin do before telling him that she has found his mother's garden?
(a) Promise to not think of death.
(b) Take an oath.
(c) To try and get well.
(d) Swear to secrecy.
13. What does Collin plan to do with his life when he is older?
(a) Be a teacher.
(b) Become a gardener.
(c) Inherit his father's business.
(d) Make important discoveries about magic.
14. What does Collin say once he is in the Garden?
(a) "I shall win my father's love."
(b) "I am happy for the first time in my life."
(c) "I can feel my mother here."
(d) "I shall get well."
15. What is the Robin doing on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Gathering nuts and berries.
(b) Singing his joy about the warmth.
(c) Building a nest.
(d) Trying to find a mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing that Collin plants in the Garden?
2. What does Mary suggest that she and Collin do on the first day that it is too rainy for Collin to go out in the Garden?
3. What is Collin's major request about his visits to the garden?
4. Why does Collin not mind keeping the curtain open over the picture of his mother as he begins to get well?
5. What does Mary decide to do after receiving her gift from her uncle after her fight with Collin?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)