|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters the garden while Collin, Dickon and Mary are expressing their thanks to the garden and its magic?
(a) Collin's nurse.
(b) Mrs. Sowerby.
(d) Dr. Craven.
2. What does Mary threaten to do when Collin says he will send Dickon away?
(a) Go to live with Dickon and his mother.
(b) Never take him to the Garden.
(c) Never see him again.
(d) Never speak to him again.
3. What does Mrs. Medlock tell the head gardener about the new goings on in the house just before Collin goes out for the first time?
(a) Things are getting better.
(b) Mary is a nuisance.
(c) Collin will get sicker.
(d) She is afraid of the consequences of all these new plans.
4. What does Collin think Mrs. Sowerby has after he receives her kind gift in the Garden?
5. What does Collin say is the only medicine he needs after his hysterics?
(d) The outdoors.
6. What does Mary make Collin do before telling him that she has found his mother's garden?
(a) Take an oath.
(b) Swear to secrecy.
(c) Promise to not think of death.
(d) To try and get well.
7. What does Dickon's mother say about the skylark's song in the morning?
(a) They are praying.
(b) They are praising God.
(c) They are singing the doxology.
(d) They are laughing.
8. What does Mary find in the Garden when she is finally able to return to it after all the rain?
(a) A crow.
(b) A small finch family.
(c) A hawk.
(d) The robin.
9. What does Collin say once he is in the Garden?
(a) "I shall win my father's love."
(b) "I am happy for the first time in my life."
(c) "I shall get well."
(d) "I can feel my mother here."
10. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
(a) Mrs. Medlock.
(b) Dr. Craven.
(c) His father.
11. What does Collin do as he is taken into the Garden?
(a) He tries to walk.
(b) He notes every detail as they pass.
(c) He sings a song of joy.
(d) He closes his eyes.
12. How does Dickon's mother know that Mr. Craven is on his way home?
(a) She can sense these things.
(b) She asked him when he left how long he would be.
(c) She wrote to him telling him to come home.
(d) He wrote to her telling her he was on his way.
13. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
(a) The wind.
(b) The garden.
14. Why did the nurse never do what Mary did for Collin during his hysterics?
(a) She thought he wanted space.
(b) She did not know what Collin was upset about.
(c) She thought it would upset him.
(d) She was afraid is would hurt him.
15. What does Mary choose to do after her lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Meet Dickon's mother.
(b) Visit Collin.
(c) Ask her uncle for permission to be in the Garden.
(d) Return to work in the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Collin feeling the morning after his hysterics?
2. What does Mr. Craven send Mary after she asks for her bit of earth?
3. Who joins the circle that Collin creates as he tells Mary and Dickon of his future plans?
4. What is Mrs. Medlock's reaction to Collin and Mary laughing?
5. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)