|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Collin do when the surprise visitor to the Garden calls Collin a cripple?
(a) He smiles and promises to prove them wrong.
(b) He cries.
(c) He has the visitor fired.
(d) He stands.
2. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
3. What does Mary choose to do after her lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Return to work in the garden.
(b) Ask her uncle for permission to be in the Garden.
(c) Meet Dickon's mother.
(d) Visit Collin.
4. What does Collin think Mrs. Sowerby has after he receives her kind gift in the Garden?
5. Why is Mary so exultant when she comes to see Collin the morning after his tantrum?
(a) Spring has come.
(b) Her uncle is on his way home.
(c) Dickon is here.
(d) The wind is blowing.
6. Why does Collin keep the portrait of his mother covered?
(a) He is angry with her for dying.
(b) It makes him sad.
(c) He thinks she is laughing at him
(d) It scares him.
7. What is Collin's major request about his visits to the garden?
(a) Mary must always be by his side.
(b) He must be taken in his wheel chair.
(c) Mrs. Medlock is never to go with him.
(d) No one should know where he goes.
8. What does Mary ask Collin to not talk about with her anymore?
(b) The garden.
(c) Being sick.
(d) His mother.
9. What does Ben suggest that Collin do to show thanks to the garden and its magic?
(a) Write his father.
(b) Say the Lord's prayer.
(c) Go to church.
(d) Sing the Doxology.
10. What does Mary find in the Garden when she is finally able to return to it after all the rain?
(a) A crow.
(b) A hawk.
(c) A small finch family.
(d) The robin.
11. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
(a) To muffle their laughter.
(b) To be a reminder to stay quiet about their secret.
(c) So the staff does not see them laughing.
(d) To keep up the pretense of a contagious disease.
12. Who does Collin long to tell about the magic that he is witnessing all around him as he begins to get well?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) Dr. Craven.
(d) Mrs. Medlock.
13. Who does Collin's nurse ask help from during Collin's hysterics?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(b) Mrs. Medlock.
14. What does Collin realize as he stands up from weeding in the garden one day?
(a) He is truly well.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He loves Mary and Dickon.
(d) He is ready to show his father his progress.
15. What is Collin most afraid will give away his improving health to the staff?
(a) His weight.
(b) His coloring.
(c) His appetite.
(d) His walking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ben do after Mr. Craven ordered the garden be shut up?
2. Why is Collin not able to walk?
3. What caused Collin's hysterics during the night?
4. What does Mr. Craven send Mary after she asks for her bit of earth?
5. On the rainy day when he cannot go out to the Garden, what does Collin say about the change in Mary's appearance that has occurred from the time they first met?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)