|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
(a) Been kind to him.
(b) Surprised him.
(c) Scared him.
(d) Bewitched him.
2. Why does Collin not mind keeping the curtain open over the picture of his mother as he begins to get well?
(a) He hopes her picture will bring his father to visit him.
(b) He misses her.
(c) He feels she is happy to be with him now.
(d) He is no longer angry with her for leaving.
3. What does Collin do as the sun goes down on his first day in the garden?
4. What does Mary suggest that she and Collin do on the first day that it is too rainy for Collin to go out in the Garden?
(a) Explore the many rooms at Misselthwaite.
(b) Read about the proper care of a garden.
(c) Help in the kitchen for extra food.
(d) Write to his father.
5. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
(a) The wind.
(d) The garden.
6. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
7. What is Collin's major request about his visits to the garden?
(a) Mrs. Medlock is never to go with him.
(b) He must be taken in his wheel chair.
(c) No one should know where he goes.
(d) Mary must always be by his side.
8. What does Mrs. Medlock tell the head gardener about the new goings on in the house just before Collin goes out for the first time?
(a) She is afraid of the consequences of all these new plans.
(b) Collin will get sicker.
(c) Things are getting better.
(d) Mary is a nuisance.
9. What is Mary's nick-name for Collin?
10. What does Mary make Collin do before telling him that she has found his mother's garden?
(a) Swear to secrecy.
(b) Take an oath.
(c) Promise to not think of death.
(d) To try and get well.
11. What caused Collin's hysterics during the night?
(a) He missed Mary.
(b) Mrs. Medlock told him he was going to die.
(c) He felt a lump on his back.
(d) His father left without seeing him.
12. Why does Mary say no one has ever called Collin out on his rudeness?
(a) The pitied him.
(b) They loved him.
(c) They feared him.
(d) They hated him.
13. What does Mary choose to do after her lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Meet Dickon's mother.
(b) Return to work in the garden.
(c) Ask her uncle for permission to be in the Garden.
(d) Visit Collin.
14. What does Collin realize as he stands up from weeding in the garden one day?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is truly well.
(c) He loves Mary and Dickon.
(d) He is ready to show his father his progress.
15. On the rainy day when he cannot go out to the Garden, what does Collin say about the change in Mary's appearance that has occurred from the time they first met?
(a) She looks more like his mother every day.
(b) She has grown fatter and more comely.
(c) She was always very pretty to him.
(d) She is taller and prettier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Martha about Mary's chance meeting Collin?
2. What does Collin do as he is taken into the Garden?
3. What is Mrs. Medlock's reaction to Collin and Mary laughing?
4. Who does Mary see Collin being rude to after his first day in the Garden?
5. What does Mr. Craven send Mary after she asks for her bit of earth?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)