|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops the surprise visitor to the garden from lecturing Mary?
(a) A rebuke from Dickon.
(b) Mention of the robin.
(c) The sight of Collin.
(d) The robin flies to Mary's shoulder.
2. What does Mary ask Collin to not talk about with her anymore?
(a) His mother.
(c) The garden.
(d) Being sick.
3. How is Collin feeling the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Lively and happy.
(b) Ill and feverish.
(c) Tired and grumpy.
(d) Timid and apologetic.
4. What does Mary tell Collin when she gets to his room during his hysterics?
(a) That he is spoiled and selfish and deserves what he gets.
(b) That there is nothing wrong with him.
(c) That his nurse is trying to kill him.
(d) That she, and everbody else, hates him.
5. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
(a) To keep up the pretense of a contagious disease.
(b) To muffle their laughter.
(c) So the staff does not see them laughing.
(d) To be a reminder to stay quiet about their secret.
6. What does Dickon tell Mary to do for Collin to make him laugh the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Tickle him.
(b) Tell him about all of the animals in the garden.
(c) Describe the garden in detail.
(d) Speak to him in Yorkshire.
7. What is Collin's nurse doing as Mary storms out of Collin's room?
8. What is beside Dickon as he works in the garden on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) A red fox.
(b) A lamb.
(c) A deer.
(d) A rabbit.
9. What does Mary find in the Garden when she is finally able to return to it after all the rain?
(a) A small finch family.
(b) The robin.
(c) A hawk.
(d) A crow.
10. What did Ben do after Mr. Craven ordered the garden be shut up?
(a) He threw seeds over the wall hoping they would sprout.
(b) He continued to climb over the wall and tend the garden.
(c) He plead with Mr. Craven to allow him in the garden.
(d) He hid the key himself.
11. What does Collin plan to do with his life when he is older?
(a) Make important discoveries about magic.
(b) Become a gardener.
(c) Inherit his father's business.
(d) Be a teacher.
12. Why is Collin not able to walk?
(a) His legs are bent.
(b) He never learned.
(c) He is wearing a brace.
(d) His legs are weak.
13. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(c) His father.
(d) Mrs. Medlock.
14. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
(a) Been kind to him.
(b) Scared him.
(c) Bewitched him.
(d) Surprised him.
15. What is the first thing that Collin plants in the Garden?
(a) A tree.
(b) A rose.
(c) A fern.
(d) A lily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
2. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
3. On the rainy day when he cannot go out to the Garden, what does Collin say about the change in Mary's appearance that has occurred from the time they first met?
4. Where does Mary spend her days while it is too rain to work on the Garden?
5. Who joins the circle that Collin creates as he tells Mary and Dickon of his future plans?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)