|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Collin say once he is in the Garden?
(a) "I shall win my father's love."
(b) "I am happy for the first time in my life."
(c) "I shall get well."
(d) "I can feel my mother here."
2. Who does Collin say he wants to be as strong as?
(a) Ben Weatherstaff.
(d) His father.
3. Why does Mary say no one has ever called Collin out on his rudeness?
(a) They feared him.
(b) The pitied him.
(c) They loved him.
(d) They hated him.
4. What has Dickon named his tamed squirrels?
(a) Bill and Bob.
(b) Nut and Shell.
(c) Chitter and Chatter.
(d) Sugar and Spice.
5. What does Mary tell Collin when she gets to his room during his hysterics?
(a) That his nurse is trying to kill him.
(b) That she, and everbody else, hates him.
(c) That he is spoiled and selfish and deserves what he gets.
(d) That there is nothing wrong with him.
6. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
(a) To keep up the pretense of a contagious disease.
(b) To muffle their laughter.
(c) So the staff does not see them laughing.
(d) To be a reminder to stay quiet about their secret.
7. Who does Collin's nurse ask help from during Collin's hysterics?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(b) Mrs. Medlock.
8. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
(a) He thinks Dickon is smart as a whip.
(b) He thinks Dickon is a bit eccentric.
(c) He thinks Dickon is a fine lad.
(d) He thinks Dickon is an enchanter.
9. What does Mary find in the Garden when she is finally able to return to it after all the rain?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A crow.
(c) The robin.
(d) A small finch family.
10. Who does Mary see Collin being rude to after his first day in the Garden?
(a) Mrs. Medlock.
(c) Dr. Craven.
(d) His nurse.
11. Why does Collin wake up so happy the morning after his tantrum?
(a) He feels that he is getting well.
(b) He knows he will get to see Mary.
(c) He knows his father is coming to see him.
(d) He is excited for the plans he and Mary have made.
12. What does Mrs. Sowerby send Collin one day in the Garden?
(a) A book about gardening.
(b) Fresh milk and buns.
(c) A skipping rope like Mary's.
(d) Fresh fruit.
13. What is Collin's major request about his visits to the garden?
(a) Mary must always be by his side.
(b) Mrs. Medlock is never to go with him.
(c) He must be taken in his wheel chair.
(d) No one should know where he goes.
14. What has Dickon added to Collin's daily routine in an effort to help him get stronger faster?
(b) Chants in a circle.
(c) More food.
15. Why is Collin unhappy when he sees Mary with her hat on?
(a) She looks dull and tired in her hat.
(b) She is not wearing the hat he gave her.
(c) He dislikes people wearing hats in the house.
(d) He knows she is leaving him to go outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops the surprise visitor to the garden from lecturing Mary?
2. What does Dickon's mother say about the skylark's song in the morning?
3. What does Collin have to do to keep his secret as he begins to get well?
4. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
5. Why is Collin so restless on the first day it is too rainy for him to go out to the Garden?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)