|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dickon tell Mary to do for Collin to make him laugh the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Speak to him in Yorkshire.
(b) Tell him about all of the animals in the garden.
(c) Tickle him.
(d) Describe the garden in detail.
2. Why does Mary say no one has ever called Collin out on his rudeness?
(a) They hated him.
(b) They loved him.
(c) The pitied him.
(d) They feared him.
3. What does Dickon's mother say about the skylark's song in the morning?
(a) They are singing the doxology.
(b) They are praying.
(c) They are praising God.
(d) They are laughing.
4. How long does Collin have to wait to see the garden after he meets Dickon?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 2 days.
(c) A day.
(d) A week.
5. What has Dickon named his tamed squirrels?
(a) Sugar and Spice.
(b) Nut and Shell.
(c) Chitter and Chatter.
(d) Bill and Bob.
6. What did Ben do after Mr. Craven ordered the garden be shut up?
(a) He threw seeds over the wall hoping they would sprout.
(b) He plead with Mr. Craven to allow him in the garden.
(c) He hid the key himself.
(d) He continued to climb over the wall and tend the garden.
7. Why does Collin keep the portrait of his mother covered?
(a) It makes him sad.
(b) He thinks she is laughing at him
(c) He is angry with her for dying.
(d) It scares him.
8. What does Collin say once he is in the Garden?
(a) "I shall win my father's love."
(b) "I am happy for the first time in my life."
(c) "I can feel my mother here."
(d) "I shall get well."
9. Why is Collin so angry about being called a cripple?
(a) He finds "cripple" a horribly derrogotory term.
(b) It intensifies his fear that maybe he is crippled.
(c) He is ashamed of himself for not being able to prove that rumor wrong.
(d) He doesn't like the idea of so many people thinking of him that way.
10. Why does Collin not mind keeping the curtain open over the picture of his mother as he begins to get well?
(a) He is no longer angry with her for leaving.
(b) He misses her.
(c) He feels she is happy to be with him now.
(d) He hopes her picture will bring his father to visit him.
11. What does Mary threaten to do when Collin says he will send Dickon away?
(a) Never see him again.
(b) Never speak to him again.
(c) Never take him to the Garden.
(d) Go to live with Dickon and his mother.
12. What is Collin most afraid will give away his improving health to the staff?
(a) His weight.
(b) His walking.
(c) His appetite.
(d) His coloring.
13. What does Collin say is the only medicine he needs after his hysterics?
(a) The outdoors.
14. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
(c) The garden.
(d) The wind.
15. What does Collin do when he hears what Mary plans to do after lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) He forbids Mary to ever speak to his father again.
(b) He asks her to read a book to him.
(c) He throws a tantrum.
(d) He fires Martha.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
2. Who does Collin's nurse ask help from during Collin's hysterics?
3. Why is Collin so restless on the first day it is too rainy for him to go out to the Garden?
4. Why is Collin not able to walk?
5. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)