|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Collin do as the sun goes down on his first day in the garden?
2. What does Dickon's mother say about the skylark's song in the morning?
(a) They are laughing.
(b) They are praising God.
(c) They are singing the doxology.
(d) They are praying.
3. Who does Collin's nurse ask help from during Collin's hysterics?
(a) Mrs. Medlock.
(d) Dr. Craven.
4. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
(a) He thinks Dickon is an enchanter.
(b) He thinks Dickon is a bit eccentric.
(c) He thinks Dickon is smart as a whip.
(d) He thinks Dickon is a fine lad.
5. What does Collin do as he is taken into the Garden?
(a) He closes his eyes.
(b) He tries to walk.
(c) He notes every detail as they pass.
(d) He sings a song of joy.
6. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
(a) To keep up the pretense of a contagious disease.
(b) To be a reminder to stay quiet about their secret.
(c) So the staff does not see them laughing.
(d) To muffle their laughter.
7. What does Collin do when he hears what Mary plans to do after lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) He fires Martha.
(b) He forbids Mary to ever speak to his father again.
(c) He throws a tantrum.
(d) He asks her to read a book to him.
8. What does Mary choose to do after her lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Return to work in the garden.
(b) Visit Collin.
(c) Meet Dickon's mother.
(d) Ask her uncle for permission to be in the Garden.
9. What does Collin say once he is in the Garden?
(a) "I am happy for the first time in my life."
(b) "I shall get well."
(c) "I shall win my father's love."
(d) "I can feel my mother here."
10. What does Collin do when the surprise visitor to the Garden calls Collin a cripple?
(a) He smiles and promises to prove them wrong.
(b) He stands.
(c) He has the visitor fired.
(d) He cries.
11. What is Collin's major request about his visits to the garden?
(a) Mary must always be by his side.
(b) He must be taken in his wheel chair.
(c) Mrs. Medlock is never to go with him.
(d) No one should know where he goes.
12. Who does Dickon tell about the Garden with Mary's permission?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(b) Mrs. Medlock.
(c) His mother.
13. What does Collin think is making him well in the Garden?
(b) Fresh Air.
(d) His mother's memory.
14. What does Collin realize as he stands up from weeding in the garden one day?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is ready to show his father his progress.
(c) He loves Mary and Dickon.
(d) He is truly well.
15. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Show him into the garden.
(b) Invite him into the secret.
(c) Give him the key.
(d) Swear him to secrecy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Medlock tell the head gardener about the new goings on in the house just before Collin goes out for the first time?
2. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
3. Why is Collin not able to walk?
4. What does Mrs. Sowerby send Collin one day in the Garden?
5. On the rainy day when he cannot go out to the Garden, what does Collin say about the change in Mary's appearance that has occurred from the time they first met?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)