|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Collin so angry about being called a cripple?
(a) He finds "cripple" a horribly derrogotory term.
(b) He is ashamed of himself for not being able to prove that rumor wrong.
(c) It intensifies his fear that maybe he is crippled.
(d) He doesn't like the idea of so many people thinking of him that way.
2. Why does Collin keep the portrait of his mother covered?
(a) It makes him sad.
(b) It scares him.
(c) He thinks she is laughing at him
(d) He is angry with her for dying.
3. Why is Collin not able to walk?
(a) His legs are weak.
(b) His legs are bent.
(c) He never learned.
(d) He is wearing a brace.
4. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
5. What has Dickon named his tamed squirrels?
(a) Chitter and Chatter.
(b) Nut and Shell.
(c) Bill and Bob.
(d) Sugar and Spice.
6. What does Collin realize as he stands up from weeding in the garden one day?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is ready to show his father his progress.
(c) He loves Mary and Dickon.
(d) He is truly well.
7. What does Mrs. Sowerby send Collin one day in the Garden?
(a) Fresh milk and buns.
(b) A book about gardening.
(c) A skipping rope like Mary's.
(d) Fresh fruit.
8. What is Collin's major request about his visits to the garden?
(a) Mary must always be by his side.
(b) He must be taken in his wheel chair.
(c) Mrs. Medlock is never to go with him.
(d) No one should know where he goes.
9. Why does Mary say no one has ever called Collin out on his rudeness?
(a) They loved him.
(b) They hated him.
(c) The pitied him.
(d) They feared him.
10. What does Mary want to use as a lure to get Collin to come outside when the weather is good again?
(b) A challenge.
(c) The garden.
11. What does Collin have to do to keep his secret as he begins to get well?
(a) Throw mock tantrums.
(b) Pretend to be sick.
(c) Swear some of his staff to secrecy.
(d) Lie to his father about his progress.
12. Who enters the garden while Collin, Dickon and Mary are expressing their thanks to the garden and its magic?
(a) Collin's nurse.
(b) Dr. Craven.
(c) Mrs. Sowerby.
13. What does Ben suggest that Collin do to show thanks to the garden and its magic?
(a) Say the Lord's prayer.
(b) Write his father.
(c) Sing the Doxology.
(d) Go to church.
14. Why did the nurse never do what Mary did for Collin during his hysterics?
(a) She did not know what Collin was upset about.
(b) She thought it would upset him.
(c) She thought he wanted space.
(d) She was afraid is would hurt him.
15. What does Collin say about Dickon's mother just before he leaves the garden after expressing his thanks to it?
(a) That he is glad she was friends with his mother.
(b) That he could remember his own mother.
(c) That she understands children the way Dickon understands animals.
(d) That she were his own mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dickon tell about the Garden with Mary's permission?
2. What does Collin think is making him well in the Garden?
3. What does Mary decide to do after receiving her gift from her uncle after her fight with Collin?
4. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
5. What does Collin do when he hears what Mary plans to do after lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)