|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
(b) His father.
(c) Mrs. Medlock.
(d) Dr. Craven.
2. What does Collin do when he hears what Mary plans to do after lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) He forbids Mary to ever speak to his father again.
(b) He fires Martha.
(c) He asks her to read a book to him.
(d) He throws a tantrum.
3. Who joins the circle that Collin creates as he tells Mary and Dickon of his future plans?
(a) The wind.
(d) The robin.
4. What does Mary do when she hears what caused Collin's hysterics?
(a) Promises to visit every day.
(b) Tells him that Medlock is a fool and he is fine.
(c) Writes a dictated letter to his father.
(d) Inspects his spine.
5. What has Dickon added to Collin's daily routine in an effort to help him get stronger faster?
(a) More food.
(c) Chants in a circle.
6. What happens to distract Collin from the tree that killed his mother?
(a) They see a lamb jumping through the flowers.
(b) The robin flies in.
(c) Dickon starts singing a song.
(d) They hear distant thunder.
7. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
(a) He thinks Dickon is a fine lad.
(b) He thinks Dickon is smart as a whip.
(c) He thinks Dickon is an enchanter.
(d) He thinks Dickon is a bit eccentric.
8. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Invite him into the secret.
(b) Show him into the garden.
(c) Give him the key.
(d) Swear him to secrecy.
9. What is Mary awakened by in the night after her first fight with Colin?
(a) Doors being opened and closed and the rushing of feet.
(b) Collin's nurse.
(c) Martha's crying.
(d) Collin screaming.
10. How is Collin feeling the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Ill and feverish.
(b) Tired and grumpy.
(c) Timid and apologetic.
(d) Lively and happy.
11. What does Mary decide to do after receiving her gift from her uncle after her fight with Collin?
(a) Go to see him in the morning.
(b) Bring Dickon in to meet him.
(c) Write him a letter.
(d) Take him to the garden.
12. What does Collin say is the only medicine he needs after his hysterics?
(c) The outdoors.
13. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
(a) To muffle their laughter.
(b) To keep up the pretense of a contagious disease.
(c) So the staff does not see them laughing.
(d) To be a reminder to stay quiet about their secret.
14. What is beside Dickon as he works in the garden on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A red fox.
(c) A deer.
(d) A lamb.
15. Why does Collin keep the portrait of his mother covered?
(a) It scares him.
(b) He is angry with her for dying.
(c) It makes him sad.
(d) He thinks she is laughing at him
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary spend her days while it is too rain to work on the Garden?
2. What is Mary's nick-name for Collin?
3. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
4. What does Collin realize as he stands up from weeding in the garden one day?
5. What does Mary tell Collin when she gets to his room during his hysterics?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)