|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary suggest that she and Collin do on the first day that it is too rainy for Collin to go out in the Garden?
(a) Read about the proper care of a garden.
(b) Write to his father.
(c) Explore the many rooms at Misselthwaite.
(d) Help in the kitchen for extra food.
2. What stops the surprise visitor to the garden from lecturing Mary?
(a) The robin flies to Mary's shoulder.
(b) The sight of Collin.
(c) Mention of the robin.
(d) A rebuke from Dickon.
3. What does Mary threaten to do when Collin says he will send Dickon away?
(a) Never take him to the Garden.
(b) Never see him again.
(c) Never speak to him again.
(d) Go to live with Dickon and his mother.
4. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
5. What is Collin's nurse doing as Mary storms out of Collin's room?
6. Why did the nurse never do what Mary did for Collin during his hysterics?
(a) She was afraid is would hurt him.
(b) She did not know what Collin was upset about.
(c) She thought he wanted space.
(d) She thought it would upset him.
7. What is Mary awakened by in the night after her first fight with Colin?
(a) Martha's crying.
(b) Collin's nurse.
(c) Doors being opened and closed and the rushing of feet.
(d) Collin screaming.
8. Who enters the garden while Collin, Dickon and Mary are expressing their thanks to the garden and its magic?
(a) Dr. Craven.
(b) Mrs. Sowerby.
(d) Collin's nurse.
9. Why is Mary so exultant when she comes to see Collin the morning after his tantrum?
(a) Dickon is here.
(b) The wind is blowing.
(c) Her uncle is on his way home.
(d) Spring has come.
10. Why does Mary say no one has ever called Collin out on his rudeness?
(a) They loved him.
(b) They hated him.
(c) The pitied him.
(d) They feared him.
11. What surprises Martha about Mary's chance meeting Collin?
(a) She did not get lost on her way.
(b) His nurse was not there.
(c) She was able to find him.
(d) He did not throw a tantrum.
12. What does Collin do when the surprise visitor to the Garden calls Collin a cripple?
(a) He has the visitor fired.
(b) He cries.
(c) He smiles and promises to prove them wrong.
(d) He stands.
13. Why does Collin not mind keeping the curtain open over the picture of his mother as he begins to get well?
(a) He misses her.
(b) He is no longer angry with her for leaving.
(c) He feels she is happy to be with him now.
(d) He hopes her picture will bring his father to visit him.
14. What did Ben do after Mr. Craven ordered the garden be shut up?
(a) He continued to climb over the wall and tend the garden.
(b) He hid the key himself.
(c) He threw seeds over the wall hoping they would sprout.
(d) He plead with Mr. Craven to allow him in the garden.
15. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Show him into the garden.
(b) Give him the key.
(c) Invite him into the secret.
(d) Swear him to secrecy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Collin do when he hears what Mary plans to do after lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
2. Who does Collin's nurse ask help from during Collin's hysterics?
3. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
4. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
5. On the rainy day when he cannot go out to the Garden, what does Collin say about the change in Mary's appearance that has occurred from the time they first met?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)