|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Collin not mind keeping the curtain open over the picture of his mother as he begins to get well?
(a) He hopes her picture will bring his father to visit him.
(b) He misses her.
(c) He feels she is happy to be with him now.
(d) He is no longer angry with her for leaving.
2. What does Mr. Craven send Mary after she asks for her bit of earth?
(a) A picture of her mother.
(b) A box of seeds.
(c) Beautiful books about gardening.
(d) A letter asking her to befriend Collin.
3. What is Mrs. Medlock's reaction to Collin and Mary laughing?
(a) She is amazed.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is worried.
4. What does Collin realize as he stands up from weeding in the garden one day?
(a) He is truly well.
(b) He is ready to show his father his progress.
(c) He loves Mary and Dickon.
(d) He is happy.
5. Who does Collin say he wants to be as strong as?
(b) His father.
(d) Ben Weatherstaff.
6. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
(a) The wind.
(c) The garden.
7. What does Mary decide to do after receiving her gift from her uncle after her fight with Collin?
(a) Take him to the garden.
(b) Go to see him in the morning.
(c) Bring Dickon in to meet him.
(d) Write him a letter.
8. What does Mary threaten to do when Collin says he will send Dickon away?
(a) Never take him to the Garden.
(b) Never see him again.
(c) Go to live with Dickon and his mother.
(d) Never speak to him again.
9. What is beside Dickon as he works in the garden on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) A deer.
(b) A red fox.
(c) A lamb.
(d) A rabbit.
10. How does Dickon's mother know that Mr. Craven is on his way home?
(a) She can sense these things.
(b) He wrote to her telling her he was on his way.
(c) She wrote to him telling him to come home.
(d) She asked him when he left how long he would be.
11. What is Mary's nick-name for Collin?
12. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
(a) To muffle their laughter.
(b) To keep up the pretense of a contagious disease.
(c) So the staff does not see them laughing.
(d) To be a reminder to stay quiet about their secret.
13. Who always comes to see Collin after one of his tantrums?
(a) Mrs. Medlock.
(c) His father.
(d) Dr. Craven.
14. What is the Robin doing on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Singing his joy about the warmth.
(b) Gathering nuts and berries.
(c) Trying to find a mate.
(d) Building a nest.
15. What does Dickon say keeps him so strong?
(b) The moor.
(c) Fresh Air.
(d) His mother's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the rainy day when he cannot go out to the Garden, what does Collin say about the change in Mary's appearance that has occurred from the time they first met?
2. How is Collin feeling the morning after his hysterics?
3. What is the first thing that Collin plants in the Garden?
4. What does Collin say about Dickon's mother just before he leaves the garden after expressing his thanks to it?
5. What does Collin do as he is taken into the Garden?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)