|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary's nick-name for Collin?
2. What is Mrs. Medlock's reaction to Collin and Mary laughing?
(a) She is amazed.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is worried.
(d) She is angry.
3. What does Mary decide to do after receiving her gift from her uncle after her fight with Collin?
(a) Bring Dickon in to meet him.
(b) Take him to the garden.
(c) Go to see him in the morning.
(d) Write him a letter.
4. What stops the surprise visitor to the garden from lecturing Mary?
(a) Mention of the robin.
(b) The robin flies to Mary's shoulder.
(c) A rebuke from Dickon.
(d) The sight of Collin.
5. What has Dickon named his tamed squirrels?
(a) Sugar and Spice.
(b) Nut and Shell.
(c) Bill and Bob.
(d) Chitter and Chatter.
6. What does Mrs. Sowerby send Collin one day in the Garden?
(a) A book about gardening.
(b) Fresh fruit.
(c) A skipping rope like Mary's.
(d) Fresh milk and buns.
7. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
(a) To be a reminder to stay quiet about their secret.
(b) To muffle their laughter.
(c) So the staff does not see them laughing.
(d) To keep up the pretense of a contagious disease.
8. What does Ben suggest that Collin do to show thanks to the garden and its magic?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Sing the Doxology.
(c) Write his father.
(d) Say the Lord's prayer.
9. What is Collin's nurse doing as Mary storms out of Collin's room?
10. What is Collin most afraid will give away his improving health to the staff?
(a) His appetite.
(b) His walking.
(c) His coloring.
(d) His weight.
11. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
(a) He thinks Dickon is a bit eccentric.
(b) He thinks Dickon is a fine lad.
(c) He thinks Dickon is an enchanter.
(d) He thinks Dickon is smart as a whip.
12. What does Collin plan to do with his life when he is older?
(a) Become a gardener.
(b) Make important discoveries about magic.
(c) Inherit his father's business.
(d) Be a teacher.
13. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
(a) Scared him.
(b) Been kind to him.
(c) Surprised him.
(d) Bewitched him.
14. What caused Collin's hysterics during the night?
(a) He missed Mary.
(b) He felt a lump on his back.
(c) Mrs. Medlock told him he was going to die.
(d) His father left without seeing him.
15. What is Collin's major request about his visits to the garden?
(a) No one should know where he goes.
(b) Mrs. Medlock is never to go with him.
(c) He must be taken in his wheel chair.
(d) Mary must always be by his side.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Collin keep the portrait of his mother covered?
2. What does Mary choose to do after her lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
3. Who enters the garden while Collin, Dickon and Mary are expressing their thanks to the garden and its magic?
4. What does Mary do when she hears what caused Collin's hysterics?
5. What has Dickon named the animal who works in the garden with him on the first nice day after all the rain?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)