|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Martha about Mary's chance meeting Collin?
(a) He did not throw a tantrum.
(b) His nurse was not there.
(c) She was able to find him.
(d) She did not get lost on her way.
2. What does Mrs. Medlock tell the head gardener about the new goings on in the house just before Collin goes out for the first time?
(a) Mary is a nuisance.
(b) She is afraid of the consequences of all these new plans.
(c) Things are getting better.
(d) Collin will get sicker.
3. How long does Collin have to wait to see the garden after he meets Dickon?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) A day.
(c) A week.
(d) 2 days.
4. Who does Mary see Collin being rude to after his first day in the Garden?
(a) His nurse.
(c) Dr. Craven.
(d) Mrs. Medlock.
5. What has Dickon named his tamed squirrels?
(a) Sugar and Spice.
(b) Chitter and Chatter.
(c) Bill and Bob.
(d) Nut and Shell.
6. What does Mary do when she hears what caused Collin's hysterics?
(a) Inspects his spine.
(b) Writes a dictated letter to his father.
(c) Promises to visit every day.
(d) Tells him that Medlock is a fool and he is fine.
7. What does Mary tell Collin when she gets to his room during his hysterics?
(a) That he is spoiled and selfish and deserves what he gets.
(b) That his nurse is trying to kill him.
(c) That she, and everbody else, hates him.
(d) That there is nothing wrong with him.
8. Why does Mary say no one has ever called Collin out on his rudeness?
(a) They hated him.
(b) They loved him.
(c) The pitied him.
(d) They feared him.
9. Who enters the garden while Collin, Dickon and Mary are expressing their thanks to the garden and its magic?
(b) Collin's nurse.
(c) Mrs. Sowerby.
(d) Dr. Craven.
10. What does Mary suggest that she and Collin do on the first day that it is too rainy for Collin to go out in the Garden?
(a) Explore the many rooms at Misselthwaite.
(b) Read about the proper care of a garden.
(c) Help in the kitchen for extra food.
(d) Write to his father.
11. What does Collin plan to do with his life when he is older?
(a) Be a teacher.
(b) Inherit his father's business.
(c) Make important discoveries about magic.
(d) Become a gardener.
12. What does Mrs. Sowerby send Collin one day in the Garden?
(a) Fresh milk and buns.
(b) A book about gardening.
(c) A skipping rope like Mary's.
(d) Fresh fruit.
13. What is the Robin doing on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Building a nest.
(b) Singing his joy about the warmth.
(c) Trying to find a mate.
(d) Gathering nuts and berries.
14. Why does Collin keep the portrait of his mother covered?
(a) It scares him.
(b) He thinks she is laughing at him
(c) He is angry with her for dying.
(d) It makes him sad.
15. Who does Collin long to tell about the magic that he is witnessing all around him as he begins to get well?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) Dr. Craven.
(d) Mrs. Medlock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mary so exultant when she comes to see Collin the morning after his tantrum?
2. What does Mary decide to do after receiving her gift from her uncle after her fight with Collin?
3. Why is Collin not able to walk?
4. What does Collin realize as he stands up from weeding in the garden one day?
5. What does Collin do on his first day in the Garden while Mary and Dickon work?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)