|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary ask Collin to not talk about with her anymore?
(a) His mother.
(b) The garden.
(c) Being sick.
2. How long does Collin have to wait to see the garden after he meets Dickon?
(a) A week.
(b) A day.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 2 days.
3. Why is Mary so exultant when she comes to see Collin the morning after his tantrum?
(a) Dickon is here.
(b) Spring has come.
(c) The wind is blowing.
(d) Her uncle is on his way home.
4. Who walks into the room as Mary and Collin are talking?
(a) Collin's nurse.
(b) Mary's uncle.
(c) Mrs. Medlock and Dr. Craven.
(d) Martha and Dickon.
5. What does Mary want to use as a lure to get Collin to come outside when the weather is good again?
(b) The garden.
(c) A challenge.
6. What does Mr. Craven send Mary after she asks for her bit of earth?
(a) A picture of her mother.
(b) Beautiful books about gardening.
(c) A box of seeds.
(d) A letter asking her to befriend Collin.
7. What kept Ben from fully keeping his promise to Mrs. Craven?
(a) His fear of her ghost in the garden.
(b) His arthritus.
(c) He got too busy with his other chores.
(d) The orders from Mr. Craven.
8. What does Collin say is the only medicine he needs after his hysterics?
(d) The outdoors.
9. What does Collin say once he is in the Garden?
(a) "I am happy for the first time in my life."
(b) "I shall win my father's love."
(c) "I shall get well."
(d) "I can feel my mother here."
10. Who does Collin long to tell about the magic that he is witnessing all around him as he begins to get well?
(a) Mrs. Medlock.
(b) Dr. Craven.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
11. What does Dickon say keeps him so strong?
(a) His mother's love.
(b) The moor.
(d) Fresh Air.
12. What does Mary tell Collin when she gets to his room during his hysterics?
(a) That his nurse is trying to kill him.
(b) That he is spoiled and selfish and deserves what he gets.
(c) That there is nothing wrong with him.
(d) That she, and everbody else, hates him.
13. What has Dickon named his tamed squirrels?
(a) Chitter and Chatter.
(b) Sugar and Spice.
(c) Nut and Shell.
(d) Bill and Bob.
14. Why is Collin so restless on the first day it is too rainy for him to go out to the Garden?
(a) He has not had to sit so still for a long time.
(b) He hates knowing that the staff thinks he is crippled.
(c) He is nervous about someone figuring out his secret.
(d) He is nervous about seeing his father.
15. Why does Collin keep the portrait of his mother covered?
(a) He thinks she is laughing at him
(b) He is angry with her for dying.
(c) It scares him.
(d) It makes him sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Martha about Mary's chance meeting Collin?
2. Who does Collin's nurse ask help from during Collin's hysterics?
3. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
4. What is Mary awakened by in the night after her first fight with Colin?
5. What does Martha say Mary must have done to Collin when she first met him?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)