|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept Ben from fully keeping his promise to Mrs. Craven?
(a) He got too busy with his other chores.
(b) His fear of her ghost in the garden.
(c) The orders from Mr. Craven.
(d) His arthritus.
2. What does Collin do as he is taken into the Garden?
(a) He sings a song of joy.
(b) He notes every detail as they pass.
(c) He closes his eyes.
(d) He tries to walk.
3. Why do Mary and Collin have to cover their mouths when they are in the presence of the staff as Collin begins to get well?
(a) So the staff does not see them laughing.
(b) To muffle their laughter.
(c) To keep up the pretense of a contagious disease.
(d) To be a reminder to stay quiet about their secret.
4. Who does Collin see climbing over the wall of the Garden?
(a) His father.
(b) Mrs. Medlock.
(c) The head gardener.
(d) Ben Weatherstaff.
5. What has Dickon named his tamed squirrels?
(a) Bill and Bob.
(b) Nut and Shell.
(c) Chitter and Chatter.
(d) Sugar and Spice.
6. What is Mary awakened by in the night after her first fight with Colin?
(a) Martha's crying.
(b) Doors being opened and closed and the rushing of feet.
(c) Collin screaming.
(d) Collin's nurse.
7. Who enters the garden while Collin, Dickon and Mary are expressing their thanks to the garden and its magic?
(b) Collin's nurse.
(c) Mrs. Sowerby.
(d) Dr. Craven.
8. What does Collin say once he is in the Garden?
(a) "I am happy for the first time in my life."
(b) "I shall get well."
(c) "I shall win my father's love."
(d) "I can feel my mother here."
9. What does Collin do when he hears what Mary plans to do after lunch on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) He asks her to read a book to him.
(b) He fires Martha.
(c) He throws a tantrum.
(d) He forbids Mary to ever speak to his father again.
10. Who does Mary see Collin being rude to after his first day in the Garden?
(b) Dr. Craven.
(c) Mrs. Medlock.
(d) His nurse.
11. What has Dickon added to Collin's daily routine in an effort to help him get stronger faster?
(a) More food.
(d) Chants in a circle.
12. What happens to distract Collin from the tree that killed his mother?
(a) They hear distant thunder.
(b) The robin flies in.
(c) Dickon starts singing a song.
(d) They see a lamb jumping through the flowers.
13. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
(a) The wind.
(b) The garden.
14. What does Mary find in the Garden when she is finally able to return to it after all the rain?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A small finch family.
(c) The robin.
(d) A crow.
15. How is Collin feeling the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Ill and feverish.
(b) Lively and happy.
(c) Tired and grumpy.
(d) Timid and apologetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary want to use as a lure to get Collin to come outside when the weather is good again?
2. Where does Mary spend her days while it is too rain to work on the Garden?
3. Why did the nurse never do what Mary did for Collin during his hysterics?
4. Why is Collin so angry about being called a cripple?
5. What does Mrs. Medlock tell the head gardener about the new goings on in the house just before Collin goes out for the first time?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)