|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who walks into the room as Mary and Collin are talking?
(a) Collin's nurse.
(b) Mrs. Medlock and Dr. Craven.
(c) Martha and Dickon.
(d) Mary's uncle.
2. What does Mary want to use as a lure to get Collin to come outside when the weather is good again?
(b) The garden.
(c) A challenge.
3. What does Dickon's mother say about the skylark's song in the morning?
(a) They are singing the doxology.
(b) They are praising God.
(c) They are praying.
(d) They are laughing.
4. What does Collin have to do to keep his secret as he begins to get well?
(a) Throw mock tantrums.
(b) Lie to his father about his progress.
(c) Swear some of his staff to secrecy.
(d) Pretend to be sick.
5. On the rainy day when he cannot go out to the Garden, what does Collin say about the change in Mary's appearance that has occurred from the time they first met?
(a) She looks more like his mother every day.
(b) She was always very pretty to him.
(c) She is taller and prettier.
(d) She has grown fatter and more comely.
6. What does Dickon tell Mary to do for Collin to make him laugh the morning after his hysterics?
(a) Tickle him.
(b) Tell him about all of the animals in the garden.
(c) Describe the garden in detail.
(d) Speak to him in Yorkshire.
7. Why is Collin unhappy when he sees Mary with her hat on?
(a) He knows she is leaving him to go outside.
(b) She looks dull and tired in her hat.
(c) She is not wearing the hat he gave her.
(d) He dislikes people wearing hats in the house.
8. What is beside Dickon as he works in the garden on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) A red fox.
(b) A lamb.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A deer.
9. Why does Mary say no one has ever called Collin out on his rudeness?
(a) They hated him.
(b) They loved him.
(c) They feared him.
(d) The pitied him.
10. What does Collin do as the sun goes down on his first day in the garden?
11. Why did the nurse never do what Mary did for Collin during his hysterics?
(a) She thought he wanted space.
(b) She was afraid is would hurt him.
(c) She thought it would upset him.
(d) She did not know what Collin was upset about.
12. What is the Robin doing on the first nice day after all the rain?
(a) Building a nest.
(b) Trying to find a mate.
(c) Gathering nuts and berries.
(d) Singing his joy about the warmth.
13. What does Mary threaten to do when Collin says he will send Dickon away?
(a) Never take him to the Garden.
(b) Go to live with Dickon and his mother.
(c) Never see him again.
(d) Never speak to him again.
14. What does Collin say is the only medicine he needs after his hysterics?
(c) The outdoors.
15. What does Collin ask Mary to do for the surprise visitor to the garden after he is called a cripple?
(a) Give him the key.
(b) Invite him into the secret.
(c) Swear him to secrecy.
(d) Show him into the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Collin smell on Mary when she comes to see him the morning he wakes up happy?
2. Who joins the circle that Collin creates as he tells Mary and Dickon of his future plans?
3. What stops the surprise visitor to the garden from lecturing Mary?
4. Why is Collin not able to walk?
5. What does the head gardener of Misselthwaite think of Dickon?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)