|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary do as she plays alone on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Plots to run away.
(b) Pretends to plant a garden.
(c) Practices her knitting.
(d) Screams for her parents.
2. What does Mary need to know about Dickon before she will show him her garden?
(a) If he can keep secrets.
(b) If he will be her friend.
(c) If he will laugh at her.
(d) If he will teach her what she needs to do.
3. What does Mary say when someone asks her if she likes herself?
(a) She does not.
(b) She does - very much.
(c) She had never thought about it.
(d) Sometimes she does, and sometimes she does not.
4. Which of these is NOT an animal that was near Dickon when Mary first meets him?
5. How did Mrs. Sowerby get her gift for Mary?
(a) She bought it with part of Martha's wages.
(b) She asked one of her daughters to give it to her.
(c) She made it.
(d) She traded cooking for it.
6. How does Mary tell Dickon she came across her garden?
(a) She found it.
(b) She stole it.
(c) It found her.
(d) She dreamed it.
7. Why has Mary never seen or heard about Collin?
(a) His sickness is contagious.
(b) His father thinks he is dead.
(c) He has been in a coma.
(d) He forbids the servants to talk about him.
8. What is the first thing that Mary hears when she gets to Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Her uncle wants to see her immediately.
(b) Her uncle does not want to see her.
(c) She will be expected to help with chores in the morning.
(d) Her room is ready and waiting.
9. How long has the Secret Garden been locked up when Mary enters it?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 10 years.
10. How soon does Mary's uncle leave after she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) That night.
(b) The next week.
(c) Two days later.
(d) The next morning.
11. Who does Mary hope will see her as she uses her gift from Mrs. Sowerby outside?
(a) Archibald Craven.
(b) Ben Weatherstaff.
12. What does Mary do to the servant by her bed when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Pleads with her to bring her mother to her.
(b) Embraces her and cries.
(c) Flies into a rage and kicks her.
(d) Whimpers and hides.
13. What does Martha tell Mary the mysterious sound she hears at night really is?
(a) The chimneys.
(c) A child.
(d) The wind.
14. When do most people take a liking to the moor, according to Mrs. Medlock?
(a) When it is in bloom.
(b) When it is covered in snow.
(c) When the wind blows over it.
(d) When the animals all have their babies.
15. Who does Mary make friends with as she explores the gardens on her first day at Misselthwaite?
(b) A pony.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
(d) A robin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary hate most about her life at Misslethwaite?
2. What is Mary's first impression of the Secret Garden?
3. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
4. Who wakes up Mary on her first morning at Misslethwaite Manor?
5. How does Mary react whenever she sees her mother in Chapter 1?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)