|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary realize about herself as she talks with Collin the night she first meets him?
(a) She is lonely.
(b) She is greedy.
(c) She is sick.
(d) She is spoiled.
2. What does Mary notice as they begin to pass over the moor?
(a) There seems to be nothing there.
(b) It is lovely.
(c) There are many houses there.
(d) It is darker than she had imagined.
3. What does Mrs. Medlock think of the moor?
(a) It is exciting and new.
(b) It is treacherous and lovely.
(c) It is barren and ugly.
(d) It is wild and dreary.
4. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
(b) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(c) Her Ayah dies.
(d) Mary is told she must be sent away.
5. What does Mary call the Garden in her mind after she finds it?
(a) Lily's Garden.
(b) Mary's Garden.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) The Secret Garden.
6. What is wrong with Mary's uncle?
(a) He has a sickness of the lungs that also killed his wife.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He has hallucinations due to stress.
(d) He has a hunched back and a broken heart.
7. How does Mary find the door of the Secret Garden?
(a) She asks Ben.
(b) Wind blows the ivy enough for her to see it.
(c) She feels along the entire wall looking for it.
(d) The robin shows her.
8. Why must everyone obey Collin's every whim?
(a) His father ordered it.
(b) He has the power to fire them.
(c) They hate the screaming he makes.
(d) Being angry will make him more ill.
9. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
(a) They ride a horse.
(b) They take an automobile.
(c) They take a carriage.
(d) They walk.
10. What is Mrs. Medlock's reaction when she finds that Mary has gotten lost in Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) She is happy to see Mary out of her room.
(b) She laughs at the fact that Mary is lost.
(c) She takes Mary on a tour so that she will not get lost again.
(d) She is angry and sends Mary to her room.
11. What did the grand doctor from London tell Collin would heal him?
(a) A daily dose of supplemental vitamins.
(b) Bed rest and a healthy diet.
(c) A fancy back brace.
(d) Running outdoors.
12. What is so surprising to Mary about the sky after the rain stops?
(a) The clouds are so beautiful.
(b) It has a hazy cleanliness to it.
(c) It is brilliantly blue.
(d) It looks closer than before.
13. What is Mrs. Medlock's first impression of Mary?
(a) She is kind, sweet and loving.
(b) She is disagreeable and headstrong.
(c) She is sickly, plain and spoiled.
(d) She is small and hurt.
14. What does Mary hate most about her life at Misslethwaite?
(a) There is no one to talk to her.
(b) It has become too routine.
(c) She is not getting educated.
(d) She misses her parents.
15. How did Mrs. Sowerby get her gift for Mary?
(a) She traded cooking for it.
(b) She bought it with part of Martha's wages.
(c) She made it.
(d) She asked one of her daughters to give it to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
2. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
3. What are Mrs. Medlock's instructions to Mary as she is shown her two rooms in the Manor?
4. What does Mary think the moor is when she first sees it?
5. How many rooms are in Misselthwaite Manor?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)