|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary call the Garden in her mind after she finds it?
(a) Mary's Garden.
(b) The Secret Garden.
(c) Lily's Garden.
(d) The Garden of Eden.
2. How did Mrs. Craven die?
(a) She gave birth.
(b) She sat on a tree bough and it broke.
(c) She froze to death on the moor.
(d) She got cholera.
3. Who does Mary count as one of the people she likes that makes Dickon laugh when he first meets her?
(a) The Robin.
(c) Archibald Craven.
4. What are Mrs. Medlock's instructions to Mary as she is shown her two rooms in the Manor?
(a) To stay to those rooms, and only those rooms.
(b) To never ask anything of her uncle.
(c) To keep them tidy and neat.
(d) To never leave her room at night.
5. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
(a) They walk funny.
(b) They speak funny.
(c) They all have funny hats.
(d) They are wearing funny clothes.
6. What does Dickon tell Mary about the work she has done without his help in the garden?
(a) She was in tune with the living things.
(b) She was doing the wrong things.
(c) She had excellent instincts.
(d) She needs some guidance.
7. What is Mary told when she is found hiding in the nursery?
(a) Her Ayah has died of Cholera.
(b) Her parents have died of Cholera.
(c) Her parents no longer want her and she is being sent away.
(d) Her parents are in prison.
8. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
(a) They walk.
(b) They take a carriage.
(c) They ride a horse.
(d) They take an automobile.
9. When do most people take a liking to the moor, according to Mrs. Medlock?
(a) When it is covered in snow.
(b) When it is in bloom.
(c) When the wind blows over it.
(d) When the animals all have their babies.
10. What does Martha say to Mary that deeply offends her when they first meet each other?
(a) Martha tells Mary that she is spoiled.
(b) Martha tells Mary that her uncle hates her.
(c) Martha is surprised Mary can't dress herself.
(d) Martha thought Mary was going to be an Indian girl.
11. What does Martha tell Mary when she comes in after meeting Dickon?
(a) Dickon told Martha her secret.
(b) Mrs. Medlock is furious with her.
(c) Ben knows what she has been doing.
(d) Her uncle is home.
12. What does Mary notice as they begin to pass over the moor?
(a) It is lovely.
(b) It is darker than she had imagined.
(c) There seems to be nothing there.
(d) There are many houses there.
13. Why has Mary never seen or heard about Collin?
(a) His sickness is contagious.
(b) His father thinks he is dead.
(c) He forbids the servants to talk about him.
(d) He has been in a coma.
14. What does Mary ask her uncle for when he asks her if she has any requests?
(a) Books about gardening.
(b) Some tools and seeds.
(c) A bit of earth.
(d) A key to the garden.
15. What is the nickname that is given to Mary by one of the children who she stays with after her parents die?
(a) Unhappy Mary of the Moore.
(b) Mary Mother of Mercy.
(c) Scary Mary.
(d) Mistress Mary Quite Contrary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell Martha at the end of tea time just after she finds the Secret Garden?
2. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
3. What is the name of Mary's closest living relative?
4. In what county is Mary's new home?
5. What is Mary's first impression of the Secret Garden?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)