|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dickon sure that someone has been in the garden during the past 10 years?
(a) There is a pile of clippings.
(b) There are annual seeds planted.
(c) There has been some pruning done.
(d) There are some tools left behind.
2. What does Mary need to know about Dickon before she will show him her garden?
(a) If he will laugh at her.
(b) If he will teach her what she needs to do.
(c) If he can keep secrets.
(d) If he will be her friend.
3. How does Mary get her request to Dickon for what she thinks she needs in the Secret Garden?
(a) Mary asks the robin to tell him.
(b) Mary asks Martha to ask him.
(c) Mary finds him in the garden and tells him.
(d) Martha dictates a letter for her.
4. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
5. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) The day feels oddly cold.
(b) The day feels wrong.
(c) The day feels jubilant.
(d) The day feels lonely.
6. Why is all the plant-life on the moor so low to the ground?
(a) The lack of rain.
(b) It is grazing country for sheep.
(c) The wind.
(d) The over-production of lumber.
7. How does Mary spend most of her days after finding the Garden?
(a) Planting her new seeds.
(b) Digging and weeding.
(c) Talking to the Robin.
(d) Running and jumping.
8. Who gives Mary her new nickname after her parents die?
(a) Bruce Crayton.
(b) Basil Crawford.
(c) Bryan Parsiner.
(d) Ben Parry.
9. Who is sent to pick Mary up to take her to her new home?
(a) Ben Weatherstaff.
(b) Robert Lennox.
(c) Mrs. Medlock.
(d) Archibald Craven.
10. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) Her Ayah dies.
(b) Mary is told she must be sent away.
(c) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(d) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
11. What is Mary told when she is found hiding in the nursery?
(a) Her parents no longer want her and she is being sent away.
(b) Her parents have died of Cholera.
(c) Her parents are in prison.
(d) Her Ayah has died of Cholera.
12. What is wrong with Mary's uncle?
(a) He has hallucinations due to stress.
(b) He has a sickness of the lungs that also killed his wife.
(c) He has a hunched back and a broken heart.
(d) He is blind.
13. How old is Mary when she chases away her first English governess?
14. Who wakes up Mary on her first morning at Misslethwaite Manor?
(a) Mrs. Medlock with Mary's breakfast.
(b) Martha making a fire.
(c) Collin crying.
(d) Archibald Craven as he is leaving in his carriage.
15. When do most people take a liking to the moor, according to Mrs. Medlock?
(a) When the wind blows over it.
(b) When it is in bloom.
(c) When it is covered in snow.
(d) When the animals all have their babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary's first impression of her uncle when she is brought to his study?
2. What is the nickname that is given to Mary by one of the children who she stays with after her parents die?
3. Who finds Mary as she is hiding in the nursery?
4. What causes Mary to go outside to the gardens, even on cold and windy days?
5. Who takes Mary in temporarily after her parents die?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)