|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sent to pick Mary up to take her to her new home?
(a) Mrs. Medlock.
(b) Robert Lennox.
(c) Archibald Craven.
(d) Ben Weatherstaff.
2. What does Mary think the moor is when she first sees it?
(a) A barren wasteland.
(b) A desert.
(c) A forest.
(d) The sea.
3. Where is Mary living at the beginning of the book?
4. Who does Mary want to meet after hearing all of Martha's stories?
(a) Archibald Craven.
(b) Collin Craven.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
(d) Martha's mother and her brother Dickon.
5. What part of the house does Mary's uncle live?
(a) The Fifth Floor.
(b) The West Wing.
(c) The East Terrace.
(d) The Annex.
6. What does Mary need to know about Dickon before she will show him her garden?
(a) If he will be her friend.
(b) If he can keep secrets.
(c) If he will teach her what she needs to do.
(d) If he will laugh at her.
7. What does Mary do to stay warm when she is out in the gardens by herself?
(b) Huddles by a wall.
8. What does Martha say to Mary that deeply offends her when they first meet each other?
(a) Martha tells Mary that her uncle hates her.
(b) Martha is surprised Mary can't dress herself.
(c) Martha thought Mary was going to be an Indian girl.
(d) Martha tells Mary that she is spoiled.
9. How did Mrs. Craven die?
(a) She gave birth.
(b) She got cholera.
(c) She froze to death on the moor.
(d) She sat on a tree bough and it broke.
10. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
11. What did Mr. Craven do with the key of the Secret Garden?
(a) He placed it on his wife's headstone.
(b) He melted it.
(c) He put in on a necklace and wears it.
(d) He buried it.
12. What does Mary notice as they begin to pass over the moor?
(a) It is darker than she had imagined.
(b) It is lovely.
(c) There seems to be nothing there.
(d) There are many houses there.
13. Who gives Mary her new nickname after her parents die?
(a) Ben Parry.
(b) Basil Crawford.
(c) Bryan Parsiner.
(d) Bruce Crayton.
14. What does Mary tell Martha she wants after her first time inside the Secret Garden?
(a) A knife.
(b) A rake.
(c) A spade.
(d) Some seeds.
15. What does Dickon tell Mary her secret is as safe as with him?
(a) The den of the white rabbit.
(b) The eggs of the robin.
(c) The nest of a Missel Thrush.
(d) The snowy lamb of his sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
2. Which of these is NOT an animal that was near Dickon when Mary first meets him?
3. What does Mary ask her uncle for when he asks her if she has any requests?
4. What is the name of the place that Mary is sent after the Cholera breaks out?
5. Why is Mary always given her way at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)