|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Medlock do to Mary when they arrive at their first stop on the way to Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Warns her.
(b) Rebukes her.
(c) Embraces her.
(d) Wakes her.
2. What does Mary tell Martha she wants after her first time inside the Secret Garden?
(a) A spade.
(b) A rake.
(c) A knife.
(d) Some seeds.
3. What is the name of Mary's closest living relative?
(a) Martha Medlock.
(b) Ben Weatherstaff.
(c) Robert Lennox.
(d) Archibald Craven.
4. What does Mary ask her uncle for when he asks her if she has any requests?
(a) Some tools and seeds.
(b) A bit of earth.
(c) A key to the garden.
(d) Books about gardening.
5. How does Mary tell Dickon she came across her garden?
(a) She found it.
(b) She dreamed it.
(c) It found her.
(d) She stole it.
6. What does Mrs. Medlock think of the moor?
(a) It is treacherous and lovely.
(b) It is wild and dreary.
(c) It is barren and ugly.
(d) It is exciting and new.
7. What is the name of the place that Mary is sent after the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Misseltoe Manor.
(b) Mighty Light Manor.
(c) Misselthwaite Manor.
(d) Mission Place Manor.
8. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) The day feels oddly cold.
(b) The day feels lonely.
(c) The day feels wrong.
(d) The day feels jubilant.
9. How does Mary learn about what to do in the garden after she finds it?
(a) Asks Ben lots of questions.
(b) She does what seems natural for the plants.
(c) Has Dickon help her.
(d) Reads books about gardening.
10. Who finds Mary as she is hiding in the nursery?
(a) Some strange men.
(b) Her Ayah.
(c) A reverend.
(d) Her parents.
11. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) He forgot her.
(b) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
(c) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
(d) He thinks she is too old.
12. What does Mary do to stay warm when she is out in the gardens by herself?
(c) Huddles by a wall.
13. How did Mrs. Craven die?
(a) She got cholera.
(b) She froze to death on the moor.
(c) She gave birth.
(d) She sat on a tree bough and it broke.
14. What are Mrs. Medlock's instructions to Mary as she is shown her two rooms in the Manor?
(a) To never leave her room at night.
(b) To keep them tidy and neat.
(c) To never ask anything of her uncle.
(d) To stay to those rooms, and only those rooms.
15. What does Martha say to Mary that deeply offends her when they first meet each other?
(a) Martha tells Mary that she is spoiled.
(b) Martha is surprised Mary can't dress herself.
(c) Martha thought Mary was going to be an Indian girl.
(d) Martha tells Mary that her uncle hates her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last stop of the train on Mary's journey to Misselthwaite Manor with Mrs. Medlock?
2. What does Mary notice about Ben as the weather grows nicer?
3. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
4. What did the grand doctor from London tell Collin would heal him?
5. What is so surprising to Mary about the sky after the rain stops?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)