|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last stop of the train on Mary's journey to Misselthwaite Manor with Mrs. Medlock?
(a) Thwaite Station.
(b) Craven Station.
(c) Missel Mile Station.
(d) Misselthwaite Station.
2. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) Mary is told she must be sent away.
(b) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
(c) Her Ayah dies.
(d) An angry mob rushes into the house.
3. How did Mrs. Craven die?
(a) She froze to death on the moor.
(b) She sat on a tree bough and it broke.
(c) She gave birth.
(d) She got cholera.
4. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
(a) They ride a horse.
(b) They take a carriage.
(c) They walk.
(d) They take an automobile.
5. Why will Mary not see much of her uncle while she is at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) He is too busy with matters of work.
(b) He is sickly and needs much care.
(c) He does not want to see her at all.
(d) He keeps to himself and is seldom home.
6. Why is Martha so sad to see most of Mary's breakfast go untouched?
(a) She made the breakfast and is offended that Mary does not like it.
(b) She feels that Mary is spoiled.
(c) She thinks Mary is sick.
(d) Her 11 siblings often go hungry.
7. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
(a) Explore the rooms at Misselthwaite.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Martha's mother's house.
(d) The library.
8. What does Mary say when someone asks her if she likes herself?
(a) Sometimes she does, and sometimes she does not.
(b) She does - very much.
(c) She does not.
(d) She had never thought about it.
9. How does Mary find the door of the Secret Garden?
(a) She feels along the entire wall looking for it.
(b) Wind blows the ivy enough for her to see it.
(c) The robin shows her.
(d) She asks Ben.
10. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) He forgot her.
(b) He thinks she is too old.
(c) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
(d) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
11. What does Mary tell Martha at the end of tea time just after she finds the Secret Garden?
(a) She hates living there.
(b) She wants to meet Martha's mother.
(c) She heard someone crying.
(d) She found the garden.
12. How old is Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) 7 years old.
(b) 250 years old.
(c) 80 years old.
(d) 600 years old.
13. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
14. How many rooms are in Misselthwaite Manor?
(b) Over 100.
15. Why must everyone obey Collin's every whim?
(a) Being angry will make him more ill.
(b) His father ordered it.
(c) He has the power to fire them.
(d) They hate the screaming he makes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Mary and Dickon speak so softly when Mary first shown him her garden?
2. What did Mr. Craven do with the key of the Secret Garden?
3. Who finds Mary as she is hiding in the nursery?
4. When do most people take a liking to the moor, according to Mrs. Medlock?
5. What does Mrs. Medlock think of the moor?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)