|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Medlock do to Mary when they arrive at their first stop on the way to Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Embraces her.
(b) Wakes her.
(c) Rebukes her.
(d) Warns her.
2. What are Mrs. Medlock's instructions to Mary as she is shown her two rooms in the Manor?
(a) To keep them tidy and neat.
(b) To never ask anything of her uncle.
(c) To stay to those rooms, and only those rooms.
(d) To never leave her room at night.
3. Why must everyone obey Collin's every whim?
(a) They hate the screaming he makes.
(b) His father ordered it.
(c) Being angry will make him more ill.
(d) He has the power to fire them.
4. How many books does the library at Misselthwaite hold?
(b) Tens of thousands.
5. Who watches over Mary at the beginning of the book?
(b) Her Ayah.
(c) Her Mother.
(d) Her nursemaid.
6. What does Mary decide to do on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
(a) Explore the rooms at Misselthwaite.
(b) The library.
(c) Martha's Mother's house.
(d) The kitchen.
7. How soon does Mary's uncle leave after she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) The next week.
(b) The next morning.
(c) That night.
(d) Two days later.
8. What did the grand doctor from London tell Collin would heal him?
(a) A daily dose of supplemental vitamins.
(b) Bed rest and a healthy diet.
(c) A fancy back brace.
(d) Running outdoors.
9. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
10. What portraits in Misslethwaite are most interesting to Mary?
(a) Portraits of animals.
(b) Portraits of women.
(c) Portaits of families.
(d) Portaits of children.
11. Who wakes up Mary on her first morning at Misslethwaite Manor?
(a) Martha making a fire.
(b) Mrs. Medlock with Mary's breakfast.
(c) Collin crying.
(d) Archibald Craven as he is leaving in his carriage.
12. How does Mary find the source of the mysterious sound she hears the night after meeting her uncle?
(a) The source comes to her.
(b) She follows the sound to a door with light underneath.
(c) She asks Martha to take her to it.
(d) She runs to find her uncle, and he shows her.
13. Where is Mary living at the beginning of the book?
14. What is Mrs. Medlock's first impression of Mary?
(a) She is small and hurt.
(b) She is disagreeable and headstrong.
(c) She is kind, sweet and loving.
(d) She is sickly, plain and spoiled.
15. Why is Martha so sad to see most of Mary's breakfast go untouched?
(a) She thinks Mary is sick.
(b) Her 11 siblings often go hungry.
(c) She made the breakfast and is offended that Mary does not like it.
(d) She feels that Mary is spoiled.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mrs. Craven die?
2. How does Mary tell Dickon she came across her garden?
3. What does Mary think the moor is when she first sees it?
4. What does Mary tell Martha she wants after her first time inside the Secret Garden?
5. How does Mary spend most of her days after finding the Garden?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)