|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How soon does Mary's uncle leave after she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) That night.
(b) The next morning.
(c) Two days later.
(d) The next week.
2. Who watches over Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her Ayah.
(b) Her Mother.
(d) Her nursemaid.
3. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
4. What portraits in Misslethwaite are most interesting to Mary?
(a) Portaits of children.
(b) Portraits of animals.
(c) Portaits of families.
(d) Portraits of women.
5. Where is Martha going on her day off after the rain has stopped?
(a) To her mother's house.
(b) To the seaside.
(c) On a long walk along the moor.
(d) Into town.
6. How old is Mary when she chases away her first English governess?
7. Why is Martha so sad to see most of Mary's breakfast go untouched?
(a) Her 11 siblings often go hungry.
(b) She made the breakfast and is offended that Mary does not like it.
(c) She feels that Mary is spoiled.
(d) She thinks Mary is sick.
8. Which of these is NOT an animal that was near Dickon when Mary first meets him?
9. How many rooms are in Misselthwaite Manor?
(b) Over 100.
10. What does Mary need to know about Dickon before she will show him her garden?
(a) If he will be her friend.
(b) If he can keep secrets.
(c) If he will teach her what she needs to do.
(d) If he will laugh at her.
11. What is Mary's first impression of the Secret Garden?
(a) It is dreary and cold.
(b) It is warm and welcoming.
(c) It is dark and scary.
(d) It is sweet and mysterious.
12. Where is Mary living at the beginning of the book?
13. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
(b) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
(c) He thinks she is too old.
(d) He forgot her.
14. Why is Mary always given her way at the beginning of the book?
(a) The doctors are afraid crying will weaken her sickly frame.
(b) The servants are a lower class than her and must obey her will.
(c) The servants don't want her to cry and anger her parents.
(d) Her mother is loving and never wants her to be unhappy.
15. Who finds Mary as she is hiding in the nursery?
(a) Some strange men.
(b) Her parents.
(c) Her Ayah.
(d) A reverend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary call the Garden in her mind after she finds it?
2. How did Mrs. Sowerby get her gift for Mary?
3. What does Mary do to stay warm when she is out in the gardens by herself?
4. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
5. How old is Misselthwaite Manor?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)