|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary decide to do on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
(a) The library.
(b) Explore the rooms at Misselthwaite.
(c) Martha's Mother's house.
(d) The kitchen.
2. What is Mary's first impression of the Secret Garden?
(a) It is dark and scary.
(b) It is dreary and cold.
(c) It is sweet and mysterious.
(d) It is warm and welcoming.
3. What does Mrs. Medlock do to Mary when they arrive at their first stop on the way to Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Warns her.
(b) Embraces her.
(c) Rebukes her.
(d) Wakes her.
4. Who does Mary want to meet after hearing all of Martha's stories?
(a) Archibald Craven.
(b) Ben Weatherstaff.
(c) Martha's mother and her brother Dickon.
(d) Collin Craven.
5. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
6. Who does Mary make friends with as she explores the gardens on her first day at Misselthwaite?
(a) A robin.
(b) A pony.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
7. Why must everyone obey Collin's every whim?
(a) Being angry will make him more ill.
(b) They hate the screaming he makes.
(c) He has the power to fire them.
(d) His father ordered it.
8. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) The day feels wrong.
(b) The day feels oddly cold.
(c) The day feels lonely.
(d) The day feels jubilant.
9. What does Martha tell Mary when she comes in after meeting Dickon?
(a) Ben knows what she has been doing.
(b) Mrs. Medlock is furious with her.
(c) Dickon told Martha her secret.
(d) Her uncle is home.
10. How many rooms are in Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Over 100.
11. What does Dickon tell Mary her secret is as safe as with him?
(a) The den of the white rabbit.
(b) The eggs of the robin.
(c) The nest of a Missel Thrush.
(d) The snowy lamb of his sheep.
12. What does Mary notice as they begin to pass over the moor?
(a) It is lovely.
(b) There are many houses there.
(c) It is darker than she had imagined.
(d) There seems to be nothing there.
13. What are Mrs. Medlock's instructions to Mary as she is shown her two rooms in the Manor?
(a) To never ask anything of her uncle.
(b) To stay to those rooms, and only those rooms.
(c) To keep them tidy and neat.
(d) To never leave her room at night.
14. How many people does Mary like after meeting Dickon?
15. How does Mary get her request to Dickon for what she thinks she needs in the Secret Garden?
(a) Martha dictates a letter for her.
(b) Mary asks Martha to ask him.
(c) Mary finds him in the garden and tells him.
(d) Mary asks the robin to tell him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Mary's uncle?
2. What is the name of Mary's closest living relative?
3. Who wakes up Mary on her first morning at Misslethwaite Manor?
4. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
5. What portraits in Misslethwaite are most interesting to Mary?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)