|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wakes up Mary on her first morning at Misslethwaite Manor?
(a) Martha making a fire.
(b) Collin crying.
(c) Archibald Craven as he is leaving in his carriage.
(d) Mrs. Medlock with Mary's breakfast.
2. What does Mary ask her uncle for when he asks her if she has any requests?
(a) A key to the garden.
(b) A bit of earth.
(c) Some tools and seeds.
(d) Books about gardening.
3. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
(b) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
(c) He thinks she is too old.
(d) He forgot her.
4. What does Mary do with the key just after she finds it?
(a) Gives it to Ben.
(b) Hides it in her room where Mrs. Medlock will not find it.
(c) Slips it into her pocket.
(d) Re-buries it and then marks the spot.
5. Why will Mary not see much of her uncle while she is at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) He is sickly and needs much care.
(b) He is too busy with matters of work.
(c) He keeps to himself and is seldom home.
(d) He does not want to see her at all.
6. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
7. What is the first thing that Mary hears when she gets to Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Her room is ready and waiting.
(b) Her uncle wants to see her immediately.
(c) She will be expected to help with chores in the morning.
(d) Her uncle does not want to see her.
8. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
(a) A child crying.
(b) A woman screaming.
(c) The wind roaring.
(d) A man laughing.
9. What does Mary think she hears at night in Misselthwaite?
(a) A child crying.
(b) A ghost laughing.
(c) A woman screaming.
(d) An animal in pain.
10. What does Mary call the Garden in her mind after she finds it?
(a) The Secret Garden.
(b) Mary's Garden.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) Lily's Garden.
11. Who is sent to pick Mary up to take her to her new home?
(a) Robert Lennox.
(b) Mrs. Medlock.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
(d) Archibald Craven.
12. Why is all the plant-life on the moor so low to the ground?
(a) The over-production of lumber.
(b) The wind.
(c) It is grazing country for sheep.
(d) The lack of rain.
13. What is the last stop of the train on Mary's journey to Misselthwaite Manor with Mrs. Medlock?
(a) Misselthwaite Station.
(b) Craven Station.
(c) Thwaite Station.
(d) Missel Mile Station.
14. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A book.
(c) A skipping rope.
(d) A packet of seeds.
15. What does Dickon tell Mary her secret is as safe as with him?
(a) The snowy lamb of his sheep.
(b) The eggs of the robin.
(c) The nest of a Missel Thrush.
(d) The den of the white rabbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary say when someone asks her if she likes herself?
2. What is Mary's first impression of her uncle when she is brought to his study?
3. How many books does the library at Misselthwaite hold?
4. Where is Mary living at the beginning of the book?
5. How does Mary tell Dickon she came across her garden?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)