|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mary and Dickon speak so softly when Mary first shown him her garden?
(a) Out of reverence.
(b) They do not want to frighten the animals.
(c) They are too surprised at what they are seeing.
(d) They do not want to be heard.
2. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
(b) He forgot her.
(c) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
(d) He thinks she is too old.
3. What does Mrs. Medlock do to Mary when they arrive at their first stop on the way to Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Embraces her.
(b) Wakes her.
(c) Rebukes her.
(d) Warns her.
4. Where is Martha going on her day off after the rain has stopped?
(a) To her mother's house.
(b) To the seaside.
(c) Into town.
(d) On a long walk along the moor.
5. Why must everyone obey Collin's every whim?
(a) His father ordered it.
(b) They hate the screaming he makes.
(c) Being angry will make him more ill.
(d) He has the power to fire them.
6. When do most people take a liking to the moor, according to Mrs. Medlock?
(a) When the wind blows over it.
(b) When the animals all have their babies.
(c) When it is in bloom.
(d) When it is covered in snow.
7. What did Mr. Craven do with the key of the Secret Garden?
(a) He put in on a necklace and wears it.
(b) He placed it on his wife's headstone.
(c) He melted it.
(d) He buried it.
8. What is Mary afraid of a she looks through the garden?
(a) It looks dead.
(b) Her uncle may be angry with her.
(c) She does not want to see her aunt's ghost.
(d) She is afraid of getting caught in there.
9. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
(a) They take an automobile.
(b) They take a carriage.
(c) They ride a horse.
(d) They walk.
10. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
(b) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(c) Her Ayah dies.
(d) Mary is told she must be sent away.
11. How does Mary react whenever she sees her mother in Chapter 1?
(a) She stares and wonders at her incredible beauty.
(b) She cries and runs away.
(c) She runs to her and laughs with joy.
(d) She smiles sweetly and tries to be like her.
12. What are Mrs. Medlock's instructions to Mary as she is shown her two rooms in the Manor?
(a) To stay to those rooms, and only those rooms.
(b) To keep them tidy and neat.
(c) To never ask anything of her uncle.
(d) To never leave her room at night.
13. What is wrong with Mary's uncle?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has hallucinations due to stress.
(c) He has a sickness of the lungs that also killed his wife.
(d) He has a hunched back and a broken heart.
14. What did the grand doctor from London tell Collin would heal him?
(a) Running outdoors.
(b) Bed rest and a healthy diet.
(c) A fancy back brace.
(d) A daily dose of supplemental vitamins.
15. What does Mary decide to do on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
(a) Martha's Mother's house.
(b) Explore the rooms at Misselthwaite.
(c) The library.
(d) The kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Mary like after meeting Dickon?
2. Where is Mary living at the beginning of the book?
3. Why does Mary's uncle want to see her when he returns from his journey?
4. What is Mary's first impression of her uncle when she is brought to his study?
5. Why is Mary so disappointed to hear the rain falling when she awakes the night after meeting her uncle?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)