|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
(a) A woman screaming.
(b) A child crying.
(c) A man laughing.
(d) The wind roaring.
2. Who watches over Mary at the beginning of the book?
(b) Her Ayah.
(c) Her nursemaid.
(d) Her Mother.
3. What is Mary's first impression of her uncle when she is brought to his study?
(a) He seems distracted.
(b) She does not notice the infamous hump in his back.
(c) He has kind and worried eyes.
(d) He is a fretful man.
4. Why will Mary not see much of her uncle while she is at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) He is sickly and needs much care.
(b) He does not want to see her at all.
(c) He keeps to himself and is seldom home.
(d) He is too busy with matters of work.
5. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
(a) Martha's mother's house.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The library.
(d) Explore the rooms at Misselthwaite.
6. What is Mary's first impression of the Secret Garden?
(a) It is dark and scary.
(b) It is dreary and cold.
(c) It is warm and welcoming.
(d) It is sweet and mysterious.
7. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(b) Mary is told she must be sent away.
(c) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
(d) Her Ayah dies.
8. How old is Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) 7 years old.
(b) 600 years old.
(c) 250 years old.
(d) 80 years old.
9. Where is Mary living at the beginning of the book?
10. Why is Dickon sure that someone has been in the garden during the past 10 years?
(a) There has been some pruning done.
(b) There is a pile of clippings.
(c) There are some tools left behind.
(d) There are annual seeds planted.
11. Why has Mary never seen or heard about Collin?
(a) He forbids the servants to talk about him.
(b) His father thinks he is dead.
(c) His sickness is contagious.
(d) He has been in a coma.
12. What is wrong with Mary's uncle?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has a sickness of the lungs that also killed his wife.
(c) He has a hunched back and a broken heart.
(d) He has hallucinations due to stress.
13. What does Mary ask her uncle for when he asks her if she has any requests?
(a) Some tools and seeds.
(b) A key to the garden.
(c) A bit of earth.
(d) Books about gardening.
14. What is Mary told when she is found hiding in the nursery?
(a) Her parents no longer want her and she is being sent away.
(b) Her parents are in prison.
(c) Her Ayah has died of Cholera.
(d) Her parents have died of Cholera.
15. Who does Mary want to meet after hearing all of Martha's stories?
(a) Collin Craven.
(b) Ben Weatherstaff.
(c) Archibald Craven.
(d) Martha's mother and her brother Dickon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
2. In what county is Mary's new home?
3. What causes Mary to go outside to the gardens, even on cold and windy days?
4. How does Mary find the source of the mysterious sound she hears the night after meeting her uncle?
5. What does the robin show Mary as she is walking in the gardens after the rain has stopped?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)