|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the house does Mary's uncle live?
(a) The West Wing.
(b) The Annex.
(c) The Fifth Floor.
(d) The East Terrace.
2. Why is Dickon sure that someone has been in the garden during the past 10 years?
(a) There are annual seeds planted.
(b) There has been some pruning done.
(c) There are some tools left behind.
(d) There is a pile of clippings.
3. How does Mary learn about what to do in the garden after she finds it?
(a) Has Dickon help her.
(b) Reads books about gardening.
(c) She does what seems natural for the plants.
(d) Asks Ben lots of questions.
4. What does Mary need to know about Dickon before she will show him her garden?
(a) If he will teach her what she needs to do.
(b) If he will laugh at her.
(c) If he can keep secrets.
(d) If he will be her friend.
5. In what county is Mary's new home?
6. How long has the Secret Garden been locked up when Mary enters it?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 12 years.
7. What does Martha tell Mary the mysterious sound she hears at night really is?
(a) The wind.
(c) A child.
(d) The chimneys.
8. What does Mary do as she plays alone on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Pretends to plant a garden.
(b) Practices her knitting.
(c) Plots to run away.
(d) Screams for her parents.
9. What causes Mary to go outside to the gardens, even on cold and windy days?
10. Why is Mary always given her way at the beginning of the book?
(a) The servants don't want her to cry and anger her parents.
(b) Her mother is loving and never wants her to be unhappy.
(c) The doctors are afraid crying will weaken her sickly frame.
(d) The servants are a lower class than her and must obey her will.
11. Why is all the plant-life on the moor so low to the ground?
(a) The wind.
(b) It is grazing country for sheep.
(c) The lack of rain.
(d) The over-production of lumber.
12. Why is Mary so disappointed to hear the rain falling when she awakes the night after meeting her uncle?
(a) She fears it will keep her uncle from leaving again as he had planned.
(b) She wanted a good night's sleep.
(c) She is afraid too much water will hurt her garden.
(d) She knows the rain will keep her from going outside.
13. What does Mary do to the servant by her bed when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Pleads with her to bring her mother to her.
(b) Flies into a rage and kicks her.
(c) Embraces her and cries.
(d) Whimpers and hides.
14. How old is Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) 7 years old.
(b) 250 years old.
(c) 80 years old.
(d) 600 years old.
15. Which of these is NOT an animal that was near Dickon when Mary first meets him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary realize about herself as she talks with Collin the night she first meets him?
2. What is so surprising to Mary about the sky after the rain stops?
3. Why is Martha so sad to see most of Mary's breakfast go untouched?
4. What is Mrs. Medlock's reaction when she finds that Mary has gotten lost in Misselthwaite Manor?
5. How does Mary find the door of the Secret Garden?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)