|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
(a) A child crying.
(b) A woman screaming.
(c) The wind roaring.
(d) A man laughing.
2. What is the name of the place that Mary is sent after the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Misselthwaite Manor.
(b) Misseltoe Manor.
(c) Mighty Light Manor.
(d) Mission Place Manor.
3. Why is Martha so sad to see most of Mary's breakfast go untouched?
(a) She feels that Mary is spoiled.
(b) She made the breakfast and is offended that Mary does not like it.
(c) She thinks Mary is sick.
(d) Her 11 siblings often go hungry.
4. What does Mary tell Martha she wants after her first time inside the Secret Garden?
(a) A rake.
(b) A spade.
(c) A knife.
(d) Some seeds.
5. How long has the Secret Garden been locked up when Mary enters it?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 12 years.
6. Who finds Mary as she is hiding in the nursery?
(a) Some strange men.
(b) Her parents.
(c) A reverend.
(d) Her Ayah.
7. Why has Mary never seen or heard about Collin?
(a) He forbids the servants to talk about him.
(b) His sickness is contagious.
(c) He has been in a coma.
(d) His father thinks he is dead.
8. Why is Mary always given her way at the beginning of the book?
(a) The doctors are afraid crying will weaken her sickly frame.
(b) The servants don't want her to cry and anger her parents.
(c) Her mother is loving and never wants her to be unhappy.
(d) The servants are a lower class than her and must obey her will.
9. How does Mary tell Dickon she came across her garden?
(a) It found her.
(b) She stole it.
(c) She dreamed it.
(d) She found it.
10. How soon does Mary's uncle leave after she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) That night.
(b) Two days later.
(c) The next week.
(d) The next morning.
11. Why do Mary and Dickon speak so softly when Mary first shown him her garden?
(a) They do not want to frighten the animals.
(b) They do not want to be heard.
(c) They are too surprised at what they are seeing.
(d) Out of reverence.
12. How did Mrs. Craven die?
(a) She gave birth.
(b) She froze to death on the moor.
(c) She sat on a tree bough and it broke.
(d) She got cholera.
13. Who does Mary count as one of the people she likes that makes Dickon laugh when he first meets her?
(a) Archibald Craven.
(d) The Robin.
14. Who takes Mary in temporarily after her parents die?
(a) Bishop Parsiner.
(b) Reverend Crawford.
(c) Clergy Crayton.
(d) Parson Parry.
15. How does Mary learn about what to do in the garden after she finds it?
(a) She does what seems natural for the plants.
(b) Asks Ben lots of questions.
(c) Has Dickon help her.
(d) Reads books about gardening.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
2. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
3. What is the last stop of the train on Mary's journey to Misselthwaite Manor with Mrs. Medlock?
4. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
5. What does Mrs. Medlock think of the moor?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)