|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
(a) They speak funny.
(b) They are wearing funny clothes.
(c) They all have funny hats.
(d) They walk funny.
2. What does Mrs. Medlock think of the moor?
(a) It is exciting and new.
(b) It is barren and ugly.
(c) It is treacherous and lovely.
(d) It is wild and dreary.
3. How old is Mary when she chases away her first English governess?
4. What does Dickon tell Mary her secret is as safe as with him?
(a) The snowy lamb of his sheep.
(b) The nest of a Missel Thrush.
(c) The den of the white rabbit.
(d) The eggs of the robin.
5. Why will Mary not see much of her uncle while she is at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) He does not want to see her at all.
(b) He keeps to himself and is seldom home.
(c) He is too busy with matters of work.
(d) He is sickly and needs much care.
6. Why is all the plant-life on the moor so low to the ground?
(a) The over-production of lumber.
(b) The wind.
(c) It is grazing country for sheep.
(d) The lack of rain.
7. Why did Mary never play outdoors when she was in India?
(a) It was too dangerous.
(b) Her parents did noy allow her to.
(c) She was too hot and tired.
(d) It was not considered proper.
8. What is the nickname that is given to Mary by one of the children who she stays with after her parents die?
(a) Unhappy Mary of the Moore.
(b) Scary Mary.
(c) Mistress Mary Quite Contrary.
(d) Mary Mother of Mercy.
9. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
10. How does Mary find the door of the Secret Garden?
(a) Wind blows the ivy enough for her to see it.
(b) The robin shows her.
(c) She asks Ben.
(d) She feels along the entire wall looking for it.
11. How does Mary get her request to Dickon for what she thinks she needs in the Secret Garden?
(a) Martha dictates a letter for her.
(b) Mary asks the robin to tell him.
(c) Mary asks Martha to ask him.
(d) Mary finds him in the garden and tells him.
12. What does Mary say when someone asks her if she likes herself?
(a) She does not.
(b) Sometimes she does, and sometimes she does not.
(c) She does - very much.
(d) She had never thought about it.
13. How does Mary tell Dickon she came across her garden?
(a) It found her.
(b) She found it.
(c) She stole it.
(d) She dreamed it.
14. Why does Mary's uncle want to see her when he returns from his journey?
(a) He had a dream about her.
(b) He wants to see if she looks like her aunt.
(c) Mrs. Sowerby said something to him.
(d) He wants to know what she needs.
15. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(b) Her Ayah dies.
(c) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
(d) Mary is told she must be sent away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sent to pick Mary up to take her to her new home?
2. What is Mary's first impression of her uncle when she is brought to his study?
3. How does Mary spend most of her days after finding the Garden?
4. What does Mary think she hears at night in Misselthwaite?
5. How soon does Mary's uncle leave after she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)