|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mary and Dickon speak so softly when Mary first shown him her garden?
(a) They do not want to be heard.
(b) They are too surprised at what they are seeing.
(c) Out of reverence.
(d) They do not want to frighten the animals.
2. How does Mary get her request to Dickon for what she thinks she needs in the Secret Garden?
(a) Martha dictates a letter for her.
(b) Mary asks Martha to ask him.
(c) Mary asks the robin to tell him.
(d) Mary finds him in the garden and tells him.
3. What does Mary notice as they begin to pass over the moor?
(a) It is lovely.
(b) There are many houses there.
(c) There seems to be nothing there.
(d) It is darker than she had imagined.
4. What does Mary tell Martha she wants after her first time inside the Secret Garden?
(a) A rake.
(b) A spade.
(c) Some seeds.
(d) A knife.
5. What did Mr. Craven do with the key of the Secret Garden?
(a) He placed it on his wife's headstone.
(b) He buried it.
(c) He put in on a necklace and wears it.
(d) He melted it.
6. What does Mary do with the key just after she finds it?
(a) Gives it to Ben.
(b) Re-buries it and then marks the spot.
(c) Slips it into her pocket.
(d) Hides it in her room where Mrs. Medlock will not find it.
7. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) He thinks she is too old.
(b) He forgot her.
(c) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
(d) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
8. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) The day feels lonely.
(b) The day feels jubilant.
(c) The day feels oddly cold.
(d) The day feels wrong.
9. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
10. How did Mrs. Sowerby get her gift for Mary?
(a) She asked one of her daughters to give it to her.
(b) She made it.
(c) She bought it with part of Martha's wages.
(d) She traded cooking for it.
11. What is Mary told when she is found hiding in the nursery?
(a) Her Ayah has died of Cholera.
(b) Her parents no longer want her and she is being sent away.
(c) Her parents are in prison.
(d) Her parents have died of Cholera.
12. Why is Mary always given her way at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her mother is loving and never wants her to be unhappy.
(b) The servants are a lower class than her and must obey her will.
(c) The doctors are afraid crying will weaken her sickly frame.
(d) The servants don't want her to cry and anger her parents.
13. What does Mary ask her uncle for when he asks her if she has any requests?
(a) Some tools and seeds.
(b) A key to the garden.
(c) A bit of earth.
(d) Books about gardening.
14. Who watches over Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her nursemaid.
(c) Her Ayah.
(d) Her Mother.
15. Who does Mary want to meet after hearing all of Martha's stories?
(a) Martha's mother and her brother Dickon.
(b) Ben Weatherstaff.
(c) Archibald Craven.
(d) Collin Craven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary count as one of the people she likes that makes Dickon laugh when he first meets her?
2. How old is Misselthwaite Manor?
3. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
4. Why will Mary not see much of her uncle while she is at Misselthwaite Manor?
5. What causes Mary to go outside to the gardens, even on cold and windy days?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)