|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must everyone obey Collin's every whim?
(a) His father ordered it.
(b) He has the power to fire them.
(c) Being angry will make him more ill.
(d) They hate the screaming he makes.
2. What causes Mary to go outside to the gardens, even on cold and windy days?
3. What does Mary realize about herself as she talks with Collin the night she first meets him?
(a) She is lonely.
(b) She is greedy.
(c) She is spoiled.
(d) She is sick.
4. Where is Mary living at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Mary ask her uncle for when he asks her if she has any requests?
(a) Books about gardening.
(b) Some tools and seeds.
(c) A key to the garden.
(d) A bit of earth.
6. What does Mary think she hears at night in Misselthwaite?
(a) A child crying.
(b) A woman screaming.
(c) A ghost laughing.
(d) An animal in pain.
7. Why is Mary so disappointed to hear the rain falling when she awakes the night after meeting her uncle?
(a) She wanted a good night's sleep.
(b) She knows the rain will keep her from going outside.
(c) She fears it will keep her uncle from leaving again as he had planned.
(d) She is afraid too much water will hurt her garden.
8. How soon does Mary's uncle leave after she arrives at Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) That night.
(b) Two days later.
(c) The next morning.
(d) The next week.
9. What does Martha tell Mary the mysterious sound she hears at night really is?
(a) The chimneys.
(c) The wind.
(d) A child.
10. How does Mary get her request to Dickon for what she thinks she needs in the Secret Garden?
(a) Martha dictates a letter for her.
(b) Mary asks the robin to tell him.
(c) Mary finds him in the garden and tells him.
(d) Mary asks Martha to ask him.
11. Who is sent to pick Mary up to take her to her new home?
(a) Robert Lennox.
(b) Mrs. Medlock.
(c) Archibald Craven.
(d) Ben Weatherstaff.
12. Where is Martha going on her day off after the rain has stopped?
(a) On a long walk along the moor.
(b) Into town.
(c) To the seaside.
(d) To her mother's house.
13. What does Mary hate most about her life at Misslethwaite?
(a) There is no one to talk to her.
(b) She misses her parents.
(c) She is not getting educated.
(d) It has become too routine.
14. Who does Mary count as one of the people she likes that makes Dickon laugh when he first meets her?
(a) The Robin.
(c) Archibald Craven.
15. What does Dickon tell Mary about the work she has done without his help in the garden?
(a) She had excellent instincts.
(b) She needs some guidance.
(c) She was doing the wrong things.
(d) She was in tune with the living things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary decide to do on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
2. What does Mary do with the key just after she finds it?
3. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
4. Why is all the plant-life on the moor so low to the ground?
5. What does Mrs. Medlock do to Mary when they arrive at their first stop on the way to Misselthwaite Manor?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)