|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the robin show Mary as she is walking in the gardens after the rain has stopped?
(a) A buried key.
(c) A hurt lamb.
(d) A lost door.
2. How old is Mary when she chases away her first English governess?
3. Where is Mary living at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Mary do to the servant by her bed when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Pleads with her to bring her mother to her.
(b) Flies into a rage and kicks her.
(c) Whimpers and hides.
(d) Embraces her and cries.
5. Which of these is NOT an animal that was near Dickon when Mary first meets him?
6. Why is Dickon sure that someone has been in the garden during the past 10 years?
(a) There has been some pruning done.
(b) There are some tools left behind.
(c) There are annual seeds planted.
(d) There is a pile of clippings.
7. How many books does the library at Misselthwaite hold?
(c) Tens of thousands.
8. What is Mary told when she is found hiding in the nursery?
(a) Her parents are in prison.
(b) Her Ayah has died of Cholera.
(c) Her parents no longer want her and she is being sent away.
(d) Her parents have died of Cholera.
9. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
(a) They take a carriage.
(b) They take an automobile.
(c) They ride a horse.
(d) They walk.
10. What is Mrs. Medlock's first impression of Mary?
(a) She is small and hurt.
(b) She is sickly, plain and spoiled.
(c) She is kind, sweet and loving.
(d) She is disagreeable and headstrong.
11. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
(a) A packet of seeds.
(b) A book.
(c) A skipping rope.
(d) A scarf.
12. How does Mary find the source of the mysterious sound she hears the night after meeting her uncle?
(a) She asks Martha to take her to it.
(b) She runs to find her uncle, and he shows her.
(c) The source comes to her.
(d) She follows the sound to a door with light underneath.
13. Why is Mary always given her way at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her mother is loving and never wants her to be unhappy.
(b) The doctors are afraid crying will weaken her sickly frame.
(c) The servants are a lower class than her and must obey her will.
(d) The servants don't want her to cry and anger her parents.
14. Who does Mary hope will see her as she uses her gift from Mrs. Sowerby outside?
(a) Archibald Craven.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
15. Who does Mary count as one of the people she likes that makes Dickon laugh when he first meets her?
(b) The Robin.
(c) Archibald Craven.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
2. What does Mary hate most about her life at Misslethwaite?
3. Who gives Mary her new nickname after her parents die?
4. What does Mrs. Medlock think of the moor?
5. Who does Mary want to meet after hearing all of Martha's stories?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)