|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary realize about herself as she talks with Collin the night she first meets him?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She is greedy.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She is spoiled.
2. Which of these is NOT an animal that was near Dickon when Mary first meets him?
3. How does Mary tell Dickon she came across her garden?
(a) She stole it.
(b) It found her.
(c) She dreamed it.
(d) She found it.
4. What does Mary notice about Ben as the weather grows nicer?
(a) He has a shorter temper.
(b) He is in a better mood.
(c) He seems sickly.
(d) He is getting forgetful.
5. Who does Mary make friends with as she explores the gardens on her first day at Misselthwaite?
(a) A pony.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
(d) A robin.
6. What does Martha say to Mary that deeply offends her when they first meet each other?
(a) Martha tells Mary that her uncle hates her.
(b) Martha is surprised Mary can't dress herself.
(c) Martha tells Mary that she is spoiled.
(d) Martha thought Mary was going to be an Indian girl.
7. What does Mary tell Martha at the end of tea time just after she finds the Secret Garden?
(a) She heard someone crying.
(b) She hates living there.
(c) She wants to meet Martha's mother.
(d) She found the garden.
8. How does Mary react whenever she sees her mother in Chapter 1?
(a) She runs to her and laughs with joy.
(b) She cries and runs away.
(c) She stares and wonders at her incredible beauty.
(d) She smiles sweetly and tries to be like her.
9. What is Mrs. Medlock's reaction when she finds that Mary has gotten lost in Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) She takes Mary on a tour so that she will not get lost again.
(b) She is angry and sends Mary to her room.
(c) She laughs at the fact that Mary is lost.
(d) She is happy to see Mary out of her room.
10. What does Mary decide to do on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The library.
(c) Martha's Mother's house.
(d) Explore the rooms at Misselthwaite.
11. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
12. What does Dickon tell Mary about the work she has done without his help in the garden?
(a) She was in tune with the living things.
(b) She needs some guidance.
(c) She had excellent instincts.
(d) She was doing the wrong things.
13. Who does Mary hope will see her as she uses her gift from Mrs. Sowerby outside?
(b) Archibald Craven.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
14. What does Mary do as she plays alone on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Plots to run away.
(b) Pretends to plant a garden.
(c) Practices her knitting.
(d) Screams for her parents.
15. Why is Martha so sad to see most of Mary's breakfast go untouched?
(a) She made the breakfast and is offended that Mary does not like it.
(b) She thinks Mary is sick.
(c) Her 11 siblings often go hungry.
(d) She feels that Mary is spoiled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
2. What does Mary think the moor is when she first sees it?
3. How does Mary spend most of her days after finding the Garden?
4. What is Mary's first impression of the Secret Garden?
5. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)