|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so surprising to Mary about the sky after the rain stops?
(a) It is brilliantly blue.
(b) It has a hazy cleanliness to it.
(c) It looks closer than before.
(d) The clouds are so beautiful.
2. Who takes Mary in temporarily after her parents die?
(a) Bishop Parsiner.
(b) Parson Parry.
(c) Clergy Crayton.
(d) Reverend Crawford.
3. How does Mary find the source of the mysterious sound she hears the night after meeting her uncle?
(a) The source comes to her.
(b) She follows the sound to a door with light underneath.
(c) She asks Martha to take her to it.
(d) She runs to find her uncle, and he shows her.
4. What are Mrs. Medlock's instructions to Mary as she is shown her two rooms in the Manor?
(a) To stay to those rooms, and only those rooms.
(b) To never leave her room at night.
(c) To never ask anything of her uncle.
(d) To keep them tidy and neat.
5. How does Mary learn about what to do in the garden after she finds it?
(a) Reads books about gardening.
(b) Has Dickon help her.
(c) She does what seems natural for the plants.
(d) Asks Ben lots of questions.
6. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A packet of seeds.
(c) A skipping rope.
(d) A book.
7. How many rooms are in Misselthwaite Manor?
(b) Over 100.
8. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) Her Ayah dies.
(b) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(c) Mary is told she must be sent away.
(d) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
9. What is Mrs. Medlock's reaction when she finds that Mary has gotten lost in Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) She takes Mary on a tour so that she will not get lost again.
(b) She is happy to see Mary out of her room.
(c) She laughs at the fact that Mary is lost.
(d) She is angry and sends Mary to her room.
10. What is Mrs. Medlock's first impression of Mary?
(a) She is small and hurt.
(b) She is disagreeable and headstrong.
(c) She is sickly, plain and spoiled.
(d) She is kind, sweet and loving.
11. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) He thinks she is too old.
(b) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
(c) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
(d) He forgot her.
12. What did Mr. Craven do with the key of the Secret Garden?
(a) He placed it on his wife's headstone.
(b) He buried it.
(c) He put in on a necklace and wears it.
(d) He melted it.
13. What has grown over the wall of the Secret Garden, thus hiding the door?
(d) Climbing roses.
14. Who does Mary count as one of the people she likes that makes Dickon laugh when he first meets her?
(a) The Robin.
(d) Archibald Craven.
15. Where is Martha going on her day off after the rain has stopped?
(a) Into town.
(b) To the seaside.
(c) On a long walk along the moor.
(d) To her mother's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
2. What does Mary realize about herself as she talks with Collin the night she first meets him?
3. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
4. What is wrong with Mary's uncle?
5. What does Mary do with the key just after she finds it?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)