|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary find the source of the mysterious sound she hears the night after meeting her uncle?
(a) She asks Martha to take her to it.
(b) She runs to find her uncle, and he shows her.
(c) She follows the sound to a door with light underneath.
(d) The source comes to her.
2. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
(a) They walk funny.
(b) They speak funny.
(c) They all have funny hats.
(d) They are wearing funny clothes.
3. What does Mary do to the servant by her bed when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) Flies into a rage and kicks her.
(b) Embraces her and cries.
(c) Pleads with her to bring her mother to her.
(d) Whimpers and hides.
4. How does Mary get her request to Dickon for what she thinks she needs in the Secret Garden?
(a) Martha dictates a letter for her.
(b) Mary asks Martha to ask him.
(c) Mary asks the robin to tell him.
(d) Mary finds him in the garden and tells him.
5. What does Martha tell Mary the mysterious sound she hears at night really is?
(a) The wind.
(c) A child.
(d) The chimneys.
6. How does Mary describe how she feels when she wakes up on the day the Cholera breaks out?
(a) The day feels jubilant.
(b) The day feels oddly cold.
(c) The day feels wrong.
(d) The day feels lonely.
7. What does Mary think she hears at night in Misselthwaite?
(a) A child crying.
(b) A woman screaming.
(c) An animal in pain.
(d) A ghost laughing.
8. Why did Mary never play outdoors when she was in India?
(a) It was too dangerous.
(b) Her parents did noy allow her to.
(c) It was not considered proper.
(d) She was too hot and tired.
9. How does Mary learn about what to do in the garden after she finds it?
(a) She does what seems natural for the plants.
(b) Has Dickon help her.
(c) Asks Ben lots of questions.
(d) Reads books about gardening.
10. How does Mary find the door of the Secret Garden?
(a) She asks Ben.
(b) Wind blows the ivy enough for her to see it.
(c) She feels along the entire wall looking for it.
(d) The robin shows her.
11. What causes Mary to go outside to the gardens, even on cold and windy days?
12. What is Mary afraid of a she looks through the garden?
(a) She does not want to see her aunt's ghost.
(b) Her uncle may be angry with her.
(c) She is afraid of getting caught in there.
(d) It looks dead.
13. What is the nickname that is given to Mary by one of the children who she stays with after her parents die?
(a) Scary Mary.
(b) Mistress Mary Quite Contrary.
(c) Unhappy Mary of the Moore.
(d) Mary Mother of Mercy.
14. Why is all the plant-life on the moor so low to the ground?
(a) It is grazing country for sheep.
(b) The wind.
(c) The lack of rain.
(d) The over-production of lumber.
15. How old is Mary when she chases away her first English governess?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary count as one of the people she likes that makes Dickon laugh when he first meets her?
2. How many rooms are in Misselthwaite Manor?
3. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
4. What does Mary realize about herself as she talks with Collin the night she first meets him?
5. Who does Mary make friends with as she explores the gardens on her first day at Misselthwaite?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)