|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary's uncle want to see her when he returns from his journey?
(a) He wants to know what she needs.
(b) He had a dream about her.
(c) He wants to see if she looks like her aunt.
(d) Mrs. Sowerby said something to him.
2. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
(a) The library.
(b) Explore the rooms at Misselthwaite.
(c) Martha's mother's house.
(d) The kitchen.
3. Who does Mary want to meet after hearing all of Martha's stories?
(a) Collin Craven.
(b) Archibald Craven.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
(d) Martha's mother and her brother Dickon.
4. What is Mary afraid of a she looks through the garden?
(a) It looks dead.
(b) She does not want to see her aunt's ghost.
(c) She is afraid of getting caught in there.
(d) Her uncle may be angry with her.
5. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
(a) They ride a horse.
(b) They take an automobile.
(c) They walk.
(d) They take a carriage.
6. Why has Mary never seen or heard about Collin?
(a) He forbids the servants to talk about him.
(b) His sickness is contagious.
(c) His father thinks he is dead.
(d) He has been in a coma.
7. How did Mrs. Sowerby get her gift for Mary?
(a) She made it.
(b) She asked one of her daughters to give it to her.
(c) She bought it with part of Martha's wages.
(d) She traded cooking for it.
8. How does Mary spend most of her days after finding the Garden?
(a) Planting her new seeds.
(b) Running and jumping.
(c) Digging and weeding.
(d) Talking to the Robin.
9. What does Mary tell Martha at the end of tea time just after she finds the Secret Garden?
(a) She heard someone crying.
(b) She wants to meet Martha's mother.
(c) She found the garden.
(d) She hates living there.
10. What did the grand doctor from London tell Collin would heal him?
(a) A fancy back brace.
(b) Bed rest and a healthy diet.
(c) Running outdoors.
(d) A daily dose of supplemental vitamins.
11. What does Mrs. Medlock think of the moor?
(a) It is wild and dreary.
(b) It is barren and ugly.
(c) It is exciting and new.
(d) It is treacherous and lovely.
12. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
(a) A child crying.
(b) A woman screaming.
(c) The wind roaring.
(d) A man laughing.
13. How long has the Secret Garden been locked up when Mary enters it?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 6 years.
14. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) Mary is told she must be sent away.
(b) Her Ayah dies.
(c) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(d) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
15. What does Mary notice about Ben as the weather grows nicer?
(a) He seems sickly.
(b) He is in a better mood.
(c) He is getting forgetful.
(d) He has a shorter temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mrs. Craven die?
2. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
3. Where is Martha going on her day off after the rain has stopped?
4. Why did Mary never play outdoors when she was in India?
5. How many people does Mary like after meeting Dickon?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)