|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT an animal that was near Dickon when Mary first meets him?
2. What does Mary do to stay warm when she is out in the gardens by herself?
(a) Huddles by a wall.
3. What does Mary notice about Ben as the weather grows nicer?
(a) He is getting forgetful.
(b) He seems sickly.
(c) He has a shorter temper.
(d) He is in a better mood.
4. Why do Mary and Dickon speak so softly when Mary first shown him her garden?
(a) They do not want to frighten the animals.
(b) They do not want to be heard.
(c) Out of reverence.
(d) They are too surprised at what they are seeing.
5. Who does Mary want to meet after hearing all of Martha's stories?
(a) Archibald Craven.
(b) Collin Craven.
(c) Martha's mother and her brother Dickon.
(d) Ben Weatherstaff.
6. Why is all the plant-life on the moor so low to the ground?
(a) The lack of rain.
(b) The wind.
(c) The over-production of lumber.
(d) It is grazing country for sheep.
7. How many people does Mary like after meeting Dickon?
8. What has grown over the wall of the Secret Garden, thus hiding the door?
(a) Climbing roses.
9. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
(a) A book.
(b) A skipping rope.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A packet of seeds.
10. How old is Mary when she chases away her first English governess?
11. What is wrong with Mary's uncle?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has hallucinations due to stress.
(c) He has a hunched back and a broken heart.
(d) He has a sickness of the lungs that also killed his wife.
12. What did Mr. Craven do with the key of the Secret Garden?
(a) He buried it.
(b) He placed it on his wife's headstone.
(c) He put in on a necklace and wears it.
(d) He melted it.
13. What does Mary hate most about her life at Misslethwaite?
(a) She is not getting educated.
(b) She misses her parents.
(c) It has become too routine.
(d) There is no one to talk to her.
14. What does Mary do with the key just after she finds it?
(a) Hides it in her room where Mrs. Medlock will not find it.
(b) Gives it to Ben.
(c) Re-buries it and then marks the spot.
(d) Slips it into her pocket.
15. What does Mary tell Martha she wants after her first time inside the Secret Garden?
(a) A spade.
(b) A knife.
(c) A rake.
(d) Some seeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha tell Mary to go on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
2. What is the first thing that Mary hears when she gets to Misselthwaite Manor?
3. What is the name of the place that Mary is sent after the Cholera breaks out?
4. Why does Mary's uncle want to see her when he returns from his journey?
5. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)