|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wakes up Mary on her first morning at Misslethwaite Manor?
(a) Mrs. Medlock with Mary's breakfast.
(b) Martha making a fire.
(c) Collin crying.
(d) Archibald Craven as he is leaving in his carriage.
2. What part of the house does Mary's uncle live?
(a) The Fifth Floor.
(b) The Annex.
(c) The East Terrace.
(d) The West Wing.
3. What did Mrs. Sowerby buy for Mary?
(a) A packet of seeds.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A book.
(d) A skipping rope.
4. What is the name of Mary's closest living relative?
(a) Robert Lennox.
(b) Archibald Craven.
(c) Ben Weatherstaff.
(d) Martha Medlock.
5. Who takes Mary in temporarily after her parents die?
(a) Bishop Parsiner.
(b) Reverend Crawford.
(c) Clergy Crayton.
(d) Parson Parry.
6. How does Mary react whenever she sees her mother in Chapter 1?
(a) She runs to her and laughs with joy.
(b) She smiles sweetly and tries to be like her.
(c) She cries and runs away.
(d) She stares and wonders at her incredible beauty.
7. How does Mary find the source of the mysterious sound she hears the night after meeting her uncle?
(a) She runs to find her uncle, and he shows her.
(b) She asks Martha to take her to it.
(c) The source comes to her.
(d) She follows the sound to a door with light underneath.
8. What is the first thing that Mary hears when she gets to Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Her room is ready and waiting.
(b) Her uncle wants to see her immediately.
(c) She will be expected to help with chores in the morning.
(d) Her uncle does not want to see her.
9. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) Mary is told she must be sent away.
(b) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(c) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
(d) Her Ayah dies.
10. Why is Martha so sad to see most of Mary's breakfast go untouched?
(a) She feels that Mary is spoiled.
(b) She made the breakfast and is offended that Mary does not like it.
(c) Her 11 siblings often go hungry.
(d) She thinks Mary is sick.
11. What is Mary's first impression of the Secret Garden?
(a) It is sweet and mysterious.
(b) It is dark and scary.
(c) It is dreary and cold.
(d) It is warm and welcoming.
12. What does Mary say when someone asks her if she likes herself?
(a) She had never thought about it.
(b) She does - very much.
(c) Sometimes she does, and sometimes she does not.
(d) She does not.
13. What does Mary tell Martha at the end of tea time just after she finds the Secret Garden?
(a) She found the garden.
(b) She heard someone crying.
(c) She hates living there.
(d) She wants to meet Martha's mother.
14. Why must everyone obey Collin's every whim?
(a) His father ordered it.
(b) They hate the screaming he makes.
(c) Being angry will make him more ill.
(d) He has the power to fire them.
15. What does Mary do to stay warm when she is out in the gardens by herself?
(b) Huddles by a wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary think is so strange about the people helping her and Mrs. Medlock at the train station?
2. How do Mary and Mrs. Medlock get from the train station to the house?
3. What does Ben do that makes Mary think he looks much younger and kinder on her first day at Misselthwaite?
4. Why did Mary never play outdoors when she was in India?
5. What is the last stop of the train on Mary's journey to Misselthwaite Manor with Mrs. Medlock?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)