|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary's first impression of the Secret Garden?
(a) It is sweet and mysterious.
(b) It is dark and scary.
(c) It is warm and welcoming.
(d) It is dreary and cold.
2. What is the first thing that Mary hears when she gets to Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Her uncle does not want to see her.
(b) She will be expected to help with chores in the morning.
(c) Her room is ready and waiting.
(d) Her uncle wants to see her immediately.
3. Who watches over Mary at the beginning of the book?
(b) Her Mother.
(c) Her Ayah.
(d) Her nursemaid.
4. How does Mary find the source of the mysterious sound she hears the night after meeting her uncle?
(a) She runs to find her uncle, and he shows her.
(b) The source comes to her.
(c) She follows the sound to a door with light underneath.
(d) She asks Martha to take her to it.
5. What are Mrs. Medlock's instructions to Mary as she is shown her two rooms in the Manor?
(a) To never leave her room at night.
(b) To stay to those rooms, and only those rooms.
(c) To never ask anything of her uncle.
(d) To keep them tidy and neat.
6. What does Mary decide to do on a very rainy day when she is not able to go outside?
(a) Explore the rooms at Misselthwaite.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Martha's Mother's house.
(d) The library.
7. Who gives Mary her new nickname after her parents die?
(a) Bruce Crayton.
(b) Bryan Parsiner.
(c) Basil Crawford.
(d) Ben Parry.
8. What does Dickon tell Mary her secret is as safe as with him?
(a) The snowy lamb of his sheep.
(b) The nest of a Missel Thrush.
(c) The eggs of the robin.
(d) The den of the white rabbit.
9. How many rooms are in Misselthwaite Manor?
(a) Over 100.
10. What happens as Mary is playing by herself in Chapter 1?
(a) An earthquake causes the house to fall down.
(b) Her Ayah dies.
(c) An angry mob rushes into the house.
(d) Mary is told she must be sent away.
11. What does Martha say to Mary that deeply offends her when they first meet each other?
(a) Martha tells Mary that she is spoiled.
(b) Martha tells Mary that her uncle hates her.
(c) Martha thought Mary was going to be an Indian girl.
(d) Martha is surprised Mary can't dress herself.
12. What does Mary call the Garden in her mind after she finds it?
(a) Lily's Garden.
(b) The Secret Garden.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) Mary's Garden.
13. Why did Mary's uncle not get her a governess?
(a) Mrs. Sowrby told him not to.
(b) He thinks she is too old.
(c) Mrs. Medlock was supposed to see to that.
(d) He forgot her.
14. What does Martha tell Mary when she comes in after meeting Dickon?
(a) Mrs. Medlock is furious with her.
(b) Her uncle is home.
(c) Ben knows what she has been doing.
(d) Dickon told Martha her secret.
15. How many people does Mary like after meeting Dickon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary hear when she finds herself lost in Misselthwaite Manor on the day it was too rainy for her to go outside?
2. What does Mary say when someone asks her if she likes herself?
3. What does Mary realize about herself as she talks with Collin the night she first meets him?
4. Who does Mary make friends with as she explores the gardens on her first day at Misselthwaite?
5. How does Mary get her request to Dickon for what she thinks she needs in the Secret Garden?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)